Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SPEED Channel going away?

1. 10-04-2012 10:15 AM #71
      They better not tape delay F1 either. I love my excuse for not getting wasted Saturday night when I have a race in the morning.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      10-04-2012 10:41 AM #72
      I still don't understand what everyone is complaining about with Speed and their programming. Here is this Saturday's line up and being fall and the end of many race series for the year it's one of the slower ones.

It has 4.5 hours of F1
      4 hours of building type shows
      10.5 hours of Nascar coverage
      3 hour of other race stuff (Monterey, All-American Victory, etc)
      2 hours of infomercials

Yes, Nascar is just under half of the programming on this day but set your DVR for the other 11.5 hours of car related shows. If you go back to earlier this summer there are other big chunks like Grand Am that will add another 3 hours of non Nascar programming. Bunch of babies in here.

[QUOTE]12:00AM ET Formula One Debrief Japan

1:00AM ET Formula One Qualifying Grand Prix of Japan

2:30AM ET The All-American Victory Dan Gurney Wins the Belgian GP

3:00AM ET Formula One Debrief Japan

4:00AM ET Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Brownstown

5:00AM ET Consumer Product Showcase Paid Programming

5:30AM ET Consumer Product Showcase Paid Programming

6:00AM ET Consumer Product Showcase Paid Programming

6:30AM ET Consumer Product Showcase Paid Programming

7:00AM ET Chop Cut Rebuild Pin the Tail

7:30AM ET Chop Cut Rebuild Back Together

8:00AM ET Truck U Paint Shop Chevy

8:30AM ET Gearz Building the SL-C

9:00AM ET Gearz Super Cars, Kit Cars & the SL-C

9:30AM ET Hot Rod TV “SkySkrape” Builds a Hot Rod

10:00AM ET Hot Rod TV Villain

10:30AM ET Two Guys Garage N/A

11:00AM ET Trackside Talladega

12:00PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Qualifying Talladega

3:00PM ET NASCAR Live Talladega

3:30PM ET NCWTS Setup Talladega

4:00PM ET NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Talladega

6:30PM ET SPEED Center Saturday Motor Racing News

7:00PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Qualifying Talladega

10:00PM ET Monterey Motorsports Reunion Featuring the Shelby Cobra

11:00PM ET Formula One Debrief Japan[QUOTE/]

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-04-2012 10:41 AM #73
      Yes please. They used to do Two Wheel Tuesday and show moto gp races, JGTC races, and everything else cool. Now it's just reneck racing.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      10-04-2012 11:41 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by lip View Post
      I'd pay 10 bucks per month to have the old speedvision back, albeit updated and in HD..
      Another reason I don't watch Speed much anymore is that Comcast dropped it from the HD tier - it's shown only on SD channel and I really hate the 2 second lag for the channel to change.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      10-04-2012 11:42 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Another reason I don't watch Speed much anymore is that Comcast dropped it from the HD tier - it's shown only on SD channel and I really hate the 2 second lag for the channel to change.
      Are you saying the dropped SPEED HD altogether in your area or just from the tier you are subscribed to? I have Comcast and SPEED HD...
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

Vehicles
      2008 TR.:R32
      10-04-2012 12:55 PM #76
      I was a big fan of Speed before it became so full of NASCAR stuff. I can't stand NASCAR and much prefer carrera cup, F1, BTCC, WRC, Le Mans, etc.

I hope there will still be a channel that shows all that if Speed goes away...
      2008 Tornado Rad .:R32 #2846/5000
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/66859.png

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-04-2012 01:03 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Are you saying the dropped SPEED HD altogether in your area or just from the tier you are subscribed to? I have Comcast and SPEED HD...
      This....

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      10-04-2012 02:01 PM #78
      Step back from the ledge. Fox almost certainly paid a boatload of $$$$$$$ for US F1 broadcast rights, so it isn't going anywhere.

10-04-2012 02:21 PM #79
      I miss the days of WRC, BTCC, DTM, AMA, WSB, MotoGP, etc being shown constantly on Speedvision. The only reason I turn on SpeedTV is to record MotoGP + WSB races. Hope that doesn't go away too.
      Fires are the leading cause of fires.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      10-04-2012 03:49 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      It was dropped from the Digital Preferred package. It was probably replaced by Comcast Sports High School Fencing or something like that.

11. 10-04-2012 07:30 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY View Post
      Step back from the ledge. Fox almost certainly paid a boatload of $$$$$$$ for US F1 broadcast rights, so it isn't going anywhere.
      Doubtful. 16 and Pregnant gets better ratings. You know why SPEED isn't Speedvision? Because all racing, sans NASCAR, is bad business in the US. The ratings are garbage, F1 included.

Signed,

Long time ALMS employee.

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 10:48 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Zanardi. View Post
      Doubtful. 16 and Pregnant gets better ratings. You know why SPEED isn't Speedvision? Because all racing, sans NASCAR, is bad business in the US. The ratings are garbage, F1 included.

Signed,

Long time ALMS employee.
      What, do you think Ecclestone, out of the goodness of his heart (though we know he doesn't have a heart, or goodness for that matter, but I digress), handed over the broadcast rights to Fox, with the goal of increasing F1's popularity in the States? That's just hard for me to fathom.

10-05-2012 11:08 AM #83
      Almost a year ago, I dropped down my DirecTV package to a level that doesn't have Speed. Honestly I can't say I have missed it once.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '07 MX-5, '03 Silverado, coupla tractors
      10-05-2012 06:45 PM #84
      Ugh. One more reason to just get off my butt, build my own DVR, get a fatter internet connection, and drop any form of TV subscription altogether. Most of what I watch these days is either broadcast, on disc, or available online anwyay.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      10-05-2012 06:47 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post
      Now it's just reneck racing.
      At least we know your username is accurate...

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Evo 9 SE, 97 S/C'd Miata
      10-05-2012 08:03 PM #86
      It was my understanding that the Speed network was born (transformed from SV) as par of a deal where Fox got long-term NASCAR rights as long as they started a NASCAR-channel. The compromise was Speed.

Take notice of how Speed is doing exactly what every other "specialized" cable network is doing... Ditching their focus for programming that reaches a wider audience, mostly in the form of reality garbage.

Speed's best version of this is Hard Parts & Wrecked. If I worked there I'd be updating my résumé.

It's now official that for specialized, specific content, the Internet is king. See: the Drive network. Unfortunately, real transition will take years, and we'll be watching all channels clone each other, while specialized networks have no way of getting something like the rights to F1.

Speeds F1 coverage (which is incredible considering the TINY audience) is the only reason I subscribe to cable. Once speed is dead, ill finally have a reason to cut the cord.

17. 10-05-2012 11:15 PM #87
      What, do you think Ecclestone, out of the goodness of his heart (though we know he doesn't have a heart, or goodness for that matter, but I digress), handed over the broadcast rights to Fox, with the goal of increasing F1's popularity in the States? That's just hard for me to fathom.
      I didn't say that. My point is F1 television rights aren't particularly valuable in the US; Fox pays for what it is worth and ratings equivalent with professional bowling doesn't make it a must buy.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      10-06-2012 02:24 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by JMotion View Post
      Speeds F1 coverage (which is incredible considering the TINY audience) is the only reason I subscribe to cable. Once speed is dead, ill finally have a reason to cut the cord.
      I was under the impression that Speed's commentators are no where near the race. They are in Charlotte and watch/transmit the international feed while calling the race.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-06-2012 02:55 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      I was under the impression that Speed's commentators are no where near the race. They are in Charlotte and watch/transmit the international feed while calling the race.
      But they are still the only one in US carries it on TV and live....and they are still using their own commentator(for better or worse, I am sort of indifferent). They have a pit reporter who probably also contracts to do other stuff, but they do have some trackside access because of it...

Vehicles
      10-15-2012 09:57 AM #90

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      10-15-2012 10:03 AM #91
      I for one will miss the SPEED F1 crew. Especially Will Buxton who wrote the following: http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Will Buxton
      All things must pass…
      Posted on October 13, 2012

It had been a lovely evening in Mokpo. No, really. A fabulous meal was followed by a few shandies in a club, celebrating a good friend’s birthday.

Bed had arrived possibly a touch later than it should have, and as I put my head down I thought I’d just check twitter to see what was going on in the world. And then it hit home.

We, on the SPEED F1 broadcast team, have known for some time that there was a possibility of us losing the rights or of there being a pretty big shift in the way F1 was going to be broadcast in America. But the news hit hard, and fast.

I guess we never know how we’ll take bad news, even when we know there’s a chance it will arrive. There’s always that range of emotions: the seven stages I believe they call it. The same as when you break up with someone you love.

And that’s what this feels like. Because I truly love working at SPEED. I love the guys I work with and that I work for. They are all terrific people and they have become terrific friends.

Bob Varsha is one of the finest commentators I’ve ever heard. He is such a professional, so knowledgeable and so damn good at his job. And if I have hair half as good as his when I’m his age I’ll be a thankful man.

Hobbo, what can I say? Like your crazy grandfather, he’s always got a story, always got an opinion and always delivers it with such panache. I smile every time he opens his mouth to talk.

Stiffey, what a hero. His enthusiasm is infectious. We may only do a few races together a year, but my word they’re always fun.

And Steve. To be honest, given Steve’s technical background I was always fearful that he would think I was a bit of a soft option after Peter. Steve for me was like the cool kid at school that you always wanted to like you. But I have built such a solid relationship with him, and I can’t tell you how proud I am every time I chip in with something and Steve responds with words such as “Will’s absolutely right…”

There are so many people behind the scenes that you folks don’t get to hear from or see. But each of them make the show what it is. Without the guys behind the scenes, pulling the strings and kicking our asses, there would be no show. Kirch, Goldie, Sean the statman, Cynthia, Dan, D-wayne, Kevin… just so, so many people.

Frank Wilson has been the lifeblood of Formula 1 on SPEED. Pretty much everything you see and hear is as a result of his passion and his soul. If Formula 1 has a future in the United States, Frank will hold a huge chunk of the responsibility for that. He’s a wonderful man and a great guy to work for.

I’ll never forget my job interview at SPEED. It involved dinner with Frank and Dan Shutte, who was instrumental in getting me over to the States. Seriously, without Shutte I would never have got a call from SPEED. The next day we all went in to see Rick Miner who was running the station at the time. Rick took one look at me and said, “Well these guys didn’t call me to say you were an *******, so I guess you got the job.” At that point, I knew I was going to love my time at SPEED.

The last three years have gone by so quickly. And I am gutted they are coming to an end. But I am so appreciative of having been a part of the most incredible team of people.

SPEED took a chance on me, and I really hope they, and the folks at home, are happy with what they got. I had very little TV experience, and compared to Peter Windsor who I was replacing, very little F1 experience. I’ve been in this game for ten years now, but still, that’s a drop in the ocean compared to some in this paddock.

So SPEED took a huge gamble. And I am thankful everyday for their faith, for their support and for three amazing years. I have genuinely never enjoyed myself nor enjoyed the sport as much as I have since joining SPEED, and moving on at the end of the year will be a real wrench.

But change in life happens, and often it leads on to bigger and better things.

What will I be doing next year? I honestly don’t know. Although I’ve known for a while that this day was coming, part of me never wanted to believe that it would. And that’s why it hurts, and that’s why walking into the paddock this morning absolutely choked me up.

Whatever the future holds, be it in this paddock or elsewhere, I want to thank SPEED for an amazing three years. And I want to thank the fans for tuning in.

We’ve got five races left, and you know we’re going to enjoy every single lap of what is fast becoming a legendary season.

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Thank you, SPEED, for the memories.

Now here’s to the future…
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-15-2012 10:39 AM #92
      Online streaming, TV live coverage, covering all sessions..

Doesn't sound that bad actually for F1.

There are no doubt though F1 would get picked up by somebody. But the issue for me with the demise of Speed is always going to be the other series. Yesterday I watched the highlight show for V8 Supercar at Bathurst, and even if its not the whole thing(um, 6 hours is a lot of racing), it was still exciting....

With V8s coming to US, who is going to show that race? Who will show the Grand Am stuff, or the DTM/BTCC/WTCC....

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      10-15-2012 11:21 AM #93
      Speed died several years ago when it became NASCAR tv. I miss the old speedvison programming.

Vehicles
      10-15-2012 06:08 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Online streaming, TV live coverage, covering all sessions..

Doesn't sound that bad actually for F1.

There are no doubt though F1 would get picked up by somebody. But the issue for me with the demise of Speed is always going to be the other series. Yesterday I watched the highlight show for V8 Supercar at Bathurst, and even if its not the whole thing(um, 6 hours is a lot of racing), it was still exciting....

With V8s coming to US, who is going to show that race? Who will show the Grand Am stuff, or the DTM/BTCC/WTCC....
      lol 6 hours is nothing

25. 10-15-2012 06:30 PM #95
      I wish I knew Jon Miller at NBC Sports so I could convince him to retain the Speed F1 crew. I shudder to think who NBC is going to huck at these broadcasts. If I hear the words "push" or "loose" uttered during an F1 broadcast I am going to burn my TV.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      10-15-2012 06:42 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      Speed died several years ago when it became NASCAR tv. I miss the old speedvison programming.

This is the biggest gripe most people put out there but they don't seem to realize that nearly half of the programming is NOT nascar. Just don't watch that channel for 12 hours a day.

People who say "SPEED, aka Nascar TV should just go away" would lose way more then the Nascar coverage. Grand Am, Aus V8, F1 (gone next season but you get the point), DTM, etc. What network will pick these series up? I hope not one of the bigger networks as they are more concerned about advertisements then showing the race.

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      10-15-2012 06:44 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post

This is the biggest gripe most people put out there but they don't seem to realize that nearly half of the programming is NOT nascar. Just don't watch that channel for 12 hours a day.

People who say "SPEED, aka Nascar TV should just go away" would lose way more then the Nascar coverage. Grand Am, Aus V8, F1 (gone next season but you get the point), DTM, etc. What network will pick these series up? I hope not one of the bigger networks as they are more concerned about advertisements then showing the race.
      The non-NASCAR programming isn't very good with the exception of the Barret Jackson auctions.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-15-2012 06:56 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      lol 6 hours is nothing
      Can't watch 6 hours to touring car....and you still can't find even an hour of touring car anywhere else on TV...

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-15-2012 06:58 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      The non-NASCAR programming isn't very good with the exception of the Barret Jackson auctions.
      MotoGP, V8 Supercar, Grand AM, Motocross, AMA Superbike, FIM Superbike, DTM, BTCC, WTCC, 24 Hours of Le Mans....all of those are on Speed...

Yes they have a lot of NASCAR related programs, yes they have a lot of filler junk reality show, but they still show those....

Vehicles
      10-15-2012 07:36 PM #100
      MotoGP, V8 Supercar, Grand AM, Motocross, AMA Superbike, FIM Superbike, DTM, BTCC, WTCC, 24 Hours of Le Mans....all of those are on Speed...

Yes they have a lot of NASCAR related programs, yes they have a lot of filler junk reality show, but they still show those....
      All available in non-condensed format via torrent.

31. Senior Member
      10-15-2012 08:33 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post
      Yes please. They used to do Two Wheel Tuesday and show moto gp races, JGTC races, and everything else cool. Now it's just reneck racing.
      You do realize that the two wheel folks don't really race on Tuesday?

The only reason I watch Speed is for MotorGP, WSBK and LeMans. And yes, just for that I'd pay to keep watching.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-15-2012 09:19 PM #102
      All available in non-condensed format via torrent.
      Some stuff makes sense on torrent, some don't. V8, DTM or BTCC yeah sure. Stuff I don't follow regularly and not looking for results. If I can I watch racing live. Which is why I still have cable to watch F1. When I first moved I had 2 years without cable, I went through the streams and finding races on Sunday morning, and most of the time the stream won't live the entire duration. I'd pay for a online live racing TV service if there is such a thing.

Vehicles
      10-15-2012 09:28 PM #103
      Some stuff makes sense on torrent, some don't. V8, DTM or BTCC yeah sure. Stuff I don't follow regularly and not looking for results. If I can I watch racing live. Which is why I still have cable to watch F1. When I first moved I had 2 years without cable, I went through the streams and finding races on Sunday morning, and most of the time the stream won't live the entire duration. I'd pay for a online live racing TV service if there is such a thing.
      Download the BBC coverage for F1...it's about 4 hours long per race and zero commercials.

34. 10-15-2012 09:30 PM #104
      Does anyone remember when Speedvision showed JGTC (now Super GT) dubbed in the winter. I think they only did it for two or three years. I miss that so much. You can't even find those races subtitled these days. The quality was not the highest, but it was still so wonderful.

For awhile, Speedvision was the best on winter nights. They had a block of the British Touring Car Championship, DTM and JGTC. They even showed WRC. Heck, Speedvision used to show the Andros ice racing series and snowmobile drag racing in the winter.

In the modern world, we're never going to get that back. Things are too much about money and no one is willing to show that obscure stuff.

It's weird isn't it? I can go on Netflix or Hulu and stream the most obscure stuff, but if I wanted to be able to watch the racing that I want to see, then I have to jump through a million hoops or get it "illegally." And in some cases not see it at all.

Thanks for Audi TV and FIA WEC that I can at least watch the World Endurance Championship and DTM.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-15-2012 09:45 PM #105
      Download the BBC coverage for F1...it's about 4 hours long per race and zero commercials.
      Not live...which is part of the problem...

Here is the thing with me about racing, and probably what really annoys me. I'd want to watch the race live, PC or TV, for the series I am actively following, which usually is F1, ALMS, WEC, Grand Am...etc. For the rest of the stuff, if I don't care enough to follow them live, I probably won't miss it too much. But if they are on, I'd watch it. Downloading racing on torrent is fine, but I'd have to find it, download it, and bother to watch it. While its not an issue with actually doing , if I had care about them enough I would've looked for the results and at which point I sorta lost the will to actually watch them. Which is why TV is great. Same as people who would watch garbage show on TV because its on, I'd watch racing if its on. Take last night, 11pm, Bathurst 1000 was on TV, I didn't make plan to watch it, I did not know it was on TV, and yet there it was. So it was a good time killer, and I was quite entertained by it. If people can have a cable channel about all kinds of other useless garbage that they can just tune it at their leisure and watch, then I'd want something like that for racing. Same reason why Youtube is popular. You don't make plan for Youtube stuff that you watch, but if its interesting you'll watch it without any prior preparation. Heck if Youtube show all the random racing series, I'd probably watch that...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123