Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Would you plug it?

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      10-03-2012 09:37 PM #1
      I have a nagging suspicion we JUST had a thread on this topic, but I can't find it.

There's been a long and somewhat antagonistic discussion on an email list I subscribe to, a Nighthawk group, about plugging holes in tires.

Some members are violently opposed to it, even if the tire is brand new. Others are much more sanguine about the whole thing, and figure as long as it's a clean puncture and the tire is reasonably new it's fine to plug it.

What says Motorcycle Lounge? Would you plug a tire? Which plug(s) would you trust? Which wouldn't you trust to walk the bike home, let alone ride it? Am I crazy and you have the burning urge to tell me?
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

2. Senior Member
      10-04-2012 12:28 AM #2
      I've never plugged a motorbike tire (knocks furiously on wood) however when I've done it on an auto tyre it threw the balance off something terribly which makes me think it would be more unfavorable on a bike...... That's the two unfounded cents I have
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

3. 10-04-2012 08:46 AM #3
      I wouldn't plug a tire, but have patched holes from the inside on a few occasions and its always held up fine.

Vehicles
      02 Jetta Wagon, 07 honda cbr600rr
      10-04-2012 08:55 AM #4
      i had a situation where i got a nail in a brand new tire and i attempted to patch it from the inside a few times with no success and i ended up plugging it. I had intended to replace the tire and after letting the bike sit for a while i ended up forgetting about it and now the tire is about worn to the cords without any issues. I don't take it easy on my tires easy. Maybe i just got lucky but it worked for the life of the tire.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      10-04-2012 10:00 AM #5
      I would plug it only with a "Mushroom" type plug:

Looks different depending on brand:

Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

6. 10-04-2012 11:12 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TgiRicky View Post
      i had a situation where i got a nail in a brand new tire and i attempted to patch it from the inside a few times with no success and i ended up plugging it. I had intended to replace the tire and after letting the bike sit for a while i ended up forgetting about it and now the tire is about worn to the cords without any issues. I don't take it easy on my tires easy. Maybe i just got lucky but it worked for the life of the tire.
      Very similar experience here. Got a puncture on a practically new (less than 500 miles) tire and put in a string plug from a nearby Wal-Mart just to get me home. Planned on getting it properly repaired, but have since forgot about it and put on another 2500 miles or so. At this point I'll probably just leave it until the tire done.

I think tire manufacturers are already putting themselves at risk for lawsuits just by making bike tires, so I understand why the don't recommend repairing one. Heck. I've even had tire shops tell me that they won't patch a Z-rated tire for a car due to liability.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      10-04-2012 05:35 PM #7
      Of course I would. I rode with a patched tire on the rear tire on my Bandit and lived to tell about it.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      10-04-2012 11:07 PM #8
      I have plugged a motorcycle tire before. It's a necessity to have a plug kit out on the road with you. And if you repair it with an inner patch and a plug, what's the harm? It's not going to catastrophically blow out, launching the rear of your bike into the air like you went over a landmine. The worst that can happen to a tire patch/plug is that it fails, which is essentially no different or more probable than the incident that caused you to patch it in the first place.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 06:52 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      I have plugged a motorcycle tire before. It's a necessity to have a plug kit out on the road with you. And if you repair it with an inner patch and a plug, what's the harm? It's not going to catastrophically blow out, launching the rear of your bike into the air like you went over a landmine. The worst that can happen to a tire patch/plug is that it fails, which is essentially no different or more probable than the incident that caused you to patch it in the first place.
      Seems most of the older folks on the list feel it IS more likely to blow out or fail catastrophically again, and quickly.

The general attitude of this thread mirrors mine: plugs and patches are solid these days, why waste the money?

Sent from the future via Google Skynet
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      10-05-2012 07:48 AM #10
      I think some of it is tire tech. It's come a long, long way since my father's era.

Honestly I carry a cord type patch kit. I'd not hesitate to use it and ride another 500+ miles on that patch if it held.

I have never seen or heard of a patched tire 'catastrophically' failing like some swear it will.

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 07:52 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
      I think some of it is tire tech. It's come a long, long way since my father's era.
      Oh I'm certain most of it is tire tech. Consistent quality rubber, different compounds, better belting, better fabric bands; tires have come a LONG way even since the 80s.

Sent from the future via Google Skynet

12. Member
      10-09-2012 09:34 PM #12
      I've used gummy worm patches in countless car tires (I have a knack for running over screws and nails). Got a screw on my KTM a few weeks ago, it got plugged with a gummy worm too. Works so far!

Vehicles
      '06 WRX, naked '97 GSXR 600, '79 DT250
      10-12-2012 04:08 PM #13
      I've plugged a rear tire three different times with a rope plug and left it until i replaced the tire... no problems that I was aware of.

I've found that the argument is between people who haven't done it arguing that its dangerous and people who have done it saying its fine.

Before the first time I plugged a motorcycle tire, I was reluctant and spent a lot of time on different boards looking for opinions and couldn't find a single first or even second hand account of a plug failing catastrophically. Haven't thought about it since

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 07:12 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by sunofernest View Post
      I've plugged a rear tire three different times with a rope plug and left it until i replaced the tire... no problems that I was aware of.
      Three times in the same tire!?

Vehicles
      GSX-R600, KLE650, SV1000
      10-15-2012 10:07 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      Not true, stop the nonsense!

If you plug a tire it will sneak out of the garage at nights and run over puppies!

Please, think of the puppies.