VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What real life engine does the Check Engine light most resemble?

9K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  WhistlerYOW 
#1 ·
It's not a flat-6 that's for sure. I noticed it's a consistent icon in all cars. Sometimes it's got a lightning bolt through it, but other than that it's always the same.

So, which real life engine does it most resemble by it's outline? I figure it's something from the 70s because it's got a big circular air filter on top. But hey what do I know. Guesses?

For reference here's the icon in several different cars. Always the same.

See less See more
#24 ·
According to "What happened to TCL?" thread from five years ago, this place jumped the shark in the mid 2000s. ;)

Change is the only constant.

And when was the engine profile CEL first used?
My 70's domestic vehicles just had a rectangular light with [Check Engine] text.

#28 ·
Fun story: My wife was driving home one day and asked me why the helicopter light came on. I could not for the life of me figure out what she was talking about.

She thought the CEL looked like a cartoon helicopter.

I laughed and laughed.

Chris

#29 ·
^^

Hahahahaha!

My wife did something similar. The front left parking light bulb is out on my GTI. The MFD indicates that on start-up, and then the failed bulb warning light stays on. My wife and I had switched cars a couple of weeks agostopped the car, called me, and asked me what she should do, if it was safe to drive. I asked her why? She said there was a warning light that looks like an exploding bomb and thought maybe it meant the engine was going to blow up.

I laughed and laughed.

#31 ·
The red dashboard warning lights mean stop immediately while the orange ones mean you can keep driving but should get it checked out as soon as possible. Makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.