Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking for some quick help, please! 1963 Bus (pic intensive)

Vehicles
      coupes
      10-04-2012 12:40 AM #1
      I've dealt with only water cooled VW's, but yet I'm the go to on this possible project. My brother is looking into a '63 bus and I'm trying to help out as much as possible. He's very knowledgeable/capable with restoring american cars, so body work isn't an issue and but the mechanicals (air-cooled) will be a learning experience for the both of us, especially for myself.

Am i correct in thinking that this in not a monocoque/unibody chassis?

ALSO THIS WILL BE CRUSHED BY 3PM ON THURSDAY IF NOT BOUGHT. $1500

So here I am...to pick the brains of you fine chaps.

The good?

The bad?

The ugly?

Thank you for any and all responses!
      Last edited by crookedarm; 10-04-2012 at 09:09 AM.

2. 10-04-2012 07:40 AM #2
      That is one huge pile of rubble. I can't imagine how you would be able to get that back to anything you'd want to drive. If that is what you want there are plenty available to fix up in much better condition. IMHO JP

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      10-04-2012 07:51 AM #3
      In that engine bay shot, on the right side of the motor (driverside) is that rot? looks like a lot of metal has disappeared from that area over the years. I'm never one to say scrap a VW because I just love them all to much but from what I've seen in the pics and the price, its not really worth it.
      If you can get it for $500 or less then I say buy it. It's really going to be a big project and a big money pit but gl

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC 2005 Touareg V8 1961 Beetle 1969 Transporter
      10-04-2012 12:04 PM #4
      It's a huge shame to scrap a split screen bus, but that thing is so far gone that there is ZERO financial sense in fixing that bus. If you love it, buy it.

Edit: it appears to have a 36hp in it. That'd be nice to grab before it goes to the scrap yard in the sky at least.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rento_VW View Post
      Needs a real Zender wing.... lower it.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-04-2012 03:27 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
      That is one huge pile of rubble. I can't imagine how you would be able to get that back to anything you'd want to drive. If that is what you want there are plenty available to fix up in much better condition. IMHO JP

bad advice IMO

1500 is a touch high but the bus is not in to bad of shape either.

personaly.... it looks like its 90% all there and its a pre 64 so if it was me and i had the 1500 i would buy it up quick like.
      J
      Quote Originally Posted by WideFive
      If you have to ask if it's a good trade... then it isn't a good trade.
      Quote Originally Posted by Schell R32
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.
      http://www.facebook.com/VWLoosenuts?sk=wall www.cultwagen.com.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-04-2012 03:30 PM #6
      just saying

1963 vw panel bus Price: $2300.
      http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1330842
      J
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-04-2012 03:34 PM #7
      this will help to make your decision.

look around and see what the pieces of chit is going for. the one you posted is at least all there-ish

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...tButton=Search
      J

Vehicles
      00&01 Focus ZX3,01 Focus Wagon,00 Durango R/T, 89 Cabriolet, 77 Beetle, 70 Bus camper, 89 Fox coupe
      10-04-2012 07:43 PM #8
      Why is it that the first few responses are from watercoolers with no idea of what they are looking at.

I'd buy that bus all day long.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-04-2012 07:49 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by cfvwtuner View Post
      Why is it that the first few responses are from watercoolers with no idea of what they are looking at.

I'd buy that bus all day long.
      WERD!!!!!
      J

10. 10-04-2012 07:58 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by cfvwtuner View Post
      TRUTH!!!!

a MK4 and MK5 kiddie who have probably never even changed their own oil.

OP,

there's bondo, quite a bit of it. your driver's side lower rocker is probably all but gone. likewise your out riggers and jack points are probably toast on that side as well. the rear quarters look like they got some bondo treatment at one time and will need to be addressed as well.

but on the plus side the dog legs look pretty decent from your limited pictures. the sides look fairly straight, nose looks like it's in decent shape (again from your limited pics), dash looks unmolested, doors appear intact and all there and i spy quite a few of the missing items laying inside the bus.

if you score it for a grand you got yourself a deal. a small hatch (pre 63) bus in decent shape does not pop up often. Wolfsburg west will be your best deal for replacement sheet metal. there's tons of resto threads on thesamba detailing panel replacement for rusty sections. likewise there are other buses far worse off than this that are being saved.

if you pass on it put it up on samba. it will find a new home regardless of what some clueless watercooled kids said about it.

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      10-04-2012 09:46 PM #11
      So you guys don't think I've ever even changed oil huh? I was sharing my opinion you guys don't need to get personal. If you had bothered to even click on my profile you would see that I'm an automotive painter and have restored more then my fair share of cars so please don't assume anything because of what car I own. I'm in the process of restoring a 98 mk3 Ginster gti. Granted its not in nearly as bad shape as this bus but its still in bad shape. Restored the 98 Jetta GLX VR6 that I daily and a whole bunch of other cars such as a 1969 Camaro Pacecar.
      I understand these buses are collectables and a lot of people like them but its a money pit just like all cars are especially when its a restoration project I was just reminding OP about that. So please keep your negative comments to yourselves and just give op you opinion on the bus and not your opinion about mk4, mk5 kiddies. Thanks

Last edited by MKVmyfast; 10-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.

12. 10-04-2012 11:54 PM #12
      Dudes butt hurt. Probably should leave him alone guyss.

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 07:38 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Superbeet View Post
      Dudes butt hurt. Probably should leave him alone guyss.
      Funny how whenever someone doesn't have a come back or something intelligent to say they always say, "dudes butthurt". Keep op's thread clean please

14. 10-05-2012 09:14 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by MKVmyfast View Post
      So please keep your negative comments to yourselves and just give op you opinion on the bus and not your opinion about mk4, mk5 kiddies. Thanks
      my opinion of this bus was based upon the fact that i've done extensive sheet metal repair work to vw buses and other early air cooled vw's, not some water pumpers or other brands of cars. and if you actually knew the market for early vw buses, and small hatches at that, you'd know that this would be a good restoration candidate...and the bus would actually make the op money if he chose to either pick it up and simply flip it or to repair all the rust/rot and then sell it. but you didn't.

Vehicles
      '66 Bus, '12 Colorado 3.7
      10-05-2012 10:04 AM #15
      Sounds like a win-win situation. You could get the bus restore it and have a good time doing so.

If you don't, it'll push the price up of my '66 that much more. Guess none of the 'newer' car guys know about the 1/4 mil. $$ record that was set for the 23 window on auction a couple of years ago.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-05-2012 10:18 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Jade Wombat View Post
      Guess none of the 'newer' car guys know about the 1/4 mil. $$ record that was set for the 23 window on auction a couple of years ago.
      that was a retarded fluke and that price wont be met again.
      J

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-05-2012 10:27 AM #17
      So you guys don't think I've ever even changed oil huh? I was sharing my opinion you guys don't need to get personal. If you had bothered to even click on my profile you would see that I'm an automotive painter and have restored more then my fair share of cars so please don't assume anything because of what car I own. I'm in the process of restoring a 98 mk3 Ginster gti. Granted its not in nearly as bad shape as this bus but its still in bad shape. Restored the 98 Jetta GLX VR6 that I daily and a whole bunch of other cars such as a 1969 Camaro Pacecar.
      I understand these buses are collectables and a lot of people like them but its a money pit just like all cars are especially when its a restoration project I was just reminding OP about that. So please keep your negative comments to yourselves and just give op you opinion on the bus and not your opinion about mk4, mk5 kiddies. Thanks

no disrespect friend but it was a stereo type. most of the "KIDS" MK4 & 5 drivers/ "parents own my car still cause they still wipe my noise" barley know how to change a tire and most at that just call AAA. that said, your advice was not good. $1500 for a 90-95% complete small hatch is a good and fair price.

how much is a almost 100% complete 69 camaro in that condition? they are fetching the same money completely restored anymore. just say.

J

Vehicles
      14 C7 A6 ,1965 TYPE 1, 1956 TYPE 1, 1948 SPLIT
      10-05-2012 11:02 AM #18
      to the OP man dont pay TIGHTNUTS or that guy A$$steaksauce any mind. They think every aircooled is a Jewel and think they are so cool because they can restore them with the skill sets they both have. I think you should bring that rust bucket bus to my scrap yard and get top scrap auto price for it. Then I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU. No Worries man we all can make a little money.

It's been dead in here as of late and it was so nice for the w/c guys with there infinite knowledge to bring it back to life for a short bit.
      Smile it will get Worse!!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 mk2 D/ '86 mk2 D '98 TDI
      10-05-2012 11:02 AM #19
      lot of body work; its a real gem though. you can custom the interior before your done. you can find a guy who does appolstery and get most of the interior done. seats could be reappolstered (maybe). getting that rust is the main thing and a lot of wire wheeling can help, and some grinding. use metal conditioner.
      keep all original parts you dont put back in.
      i'd remove engine/tranny and in the future re-build motor, and clean it up.
      maybe a type 4 motor/trans? aluminum case will last longer and be more reliable/ handle more beating too. you can get some good performance out of a stock size 2.0L type4. weber or dell carbs, cam, exhaust, heads.etc.
      Type I's
      the "little" D
      also 962 -0 to 60 in 4 years-
      why??more than 1 wire to shut her off?? a blasphemy!

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 12:48 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      my opinion of this bus was based upon the fact that i've done extensive sheet metal repair work to vw buses and other early air cooled vw's, not some water pumpers or other brands of cars. and if you actually knew the market for early vw buses, and small hatches at that, you'd know that this would be a good restoration candidate...and the bus would actually make the op money if he chose to either pick it up and simply flip it or to repair all the rust/rot and then sell it. but you didn't.
      The only way op can make money on this van (if he even plans on selling it) it's if he does everything himself. As soon as you start paying people to do things for you there goes your profit which is why I said I hope you have deep pockets if you plan on having some of the work done bye others. Labor isn't cheap and neither are materials. Materials cost what they cost no matter what but once you have the skills to do the labor yourself, that's where the money is!

Any word on if your going to buy this bus op?

Last edited by MKVmyfast; 10-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-05-2012 01:45 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by JDII View Post
      to the OP man dont pay TIGHTNUTS or that guy A$$steaksauce any mind. They think every aircooled is a Jewel and think they are so cool because they can restore them with the skill sets they both have. I think you should bring that rust bucket bus to my scrap yard and get top scrap auto price for it. Then I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU. No Worries man we all can make a little money.

LMFAO.....

your scrap yard would be the only OK yard to bring it you.

your milkshake brings all the vw to your yard. your yard is better than ares

J

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-05-2012 01:51 PM #22
      The only way op can make money on this van (if he even plans on selling it) it's if he does everything himself. As soon as you start paying people to do things for you there goes your profit which is why I said I hope you have deep pockets if you plan on having some of the work done bye others. Labor isn't cheap and neither are materials. Materials cost what they cost no matter what but once you have the skills to do the labor yourself, that's where the money is!

Any word on if your going to buy this bus op?

Quote Originally Posted by crookedarm View Post
      I've dealt with only water cooled VW's, but yet I'm the go to on this possible project. My brother is looking into a '63 bus and I'm trying to help out as much as possible. He's very knowledgeable/capable with restoring american cars, so body work isn't an issue and but the mechanicals (air-cooled) will be a learning experience for the both of us, especially for myself.
      just saying. body work is body work right. and if hes capable then outsourcing my not be needed.

thus making the profit margin in his favor.
      J

23. 10-05-2012 02:06 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by LooseNuts View Post
      just saying. body work is body work right. and if hes capable then outsourcing my not be needed.

thus making the profit margin in his favor.
      my point exactly.

in for reading comprehension

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '97 B4 TDI Sedan
      10-05-2012 09:01 PM #24
      You all make my head hurt.

To the OP. No. You are incapable of restoring this bus & turning a profit. Is it worth $1500? Yeah it is. I would A) part that bitch out.. or B) Sell it on The Samba for $3000.

The seller is fooking with you. They know that it will bring $250 in scrap, tops. Split buses weigh less that a Honda Fit.

If you threw away every body panel, but sold every screw, fastener, electrical bit, accessory, trim piece, engine, trans etc... You might net $3-4000.

It's too cool to crush but too far gone for any amateur to refurbish.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-05-2012 10:20 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by jaypees_alh View Post
      You all make my head hurt.

To the OP. No. You are incapable of restoring this bus & turning a profit. Is it worth $1500? Yeah it is. I would A) part that bitch out.. or B) Sell it on The Samba for $3000.

The seller is fooking with you. They know that it will bring $250 in scrap, tops. Split buses weigh less that a Honda Fit.

If you threw away every body panel, but sold every screw, fastener, electrical bit, accessory, trim piece, engine, trans etc... You might net $3-4000.

It's too cool to crush but too far gone for any amateur to refurbish.
      Dude some of this is the dumbest fukin advice in this whole thread. How the hell does anyone know his capabilities. If his brother restores american cars im sure he is capable of restoring this one.

Im sure the seller is asking what he thinks he can get for it. Then when it doesn't sell he will im sure except a scrap price from anyone.

And your high as hell if you think he should through away the body panel and sold all the rest to net $3-4000.
      Each of them doors are woth $50-$125 each in the condiotion they are.
      Nose section as is. $150 minimum
      rear quarters $50-75 each
      J

26. 10-05-2012 10:30 PM #26
      this thread is starting to become a catch all for people with no experience in anything aircooled.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-05-2012 10:42 PM #27
      RIGHT....
      J

Vehicles
      00&01 Focus ZX3,01 Focus Wagon,00 Durango R/T, 89 Cabriolet, 77 Beetle, 70 Bus camper, 89 Fox coupe
      10-07-2012 07:28 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      this thread is starting to become a catch all for people with no experience in anything aircooled.

Yea but, I got my moms old Jetta I did stuff too, and my dad has a wicked set of tools.......

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      10-07-2012 04:36 PM #29
      ...and "i read how to do it on the internet".
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

Vehicles
      60 single cab, 04 Touareg v8, mk4 Jetta vr, mk2 16v Gti
      10-07-2012 09:38 PM #30
      Does anyone else think it's funny he restored 2 mk3s.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 02:59 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by TJ.16v View Post
      Does anyone else think it's funny he restored 2 mk3s.
      If your talking about me I'm in the progress of restoring my second one. Do I find anything funny about it? No its a fun hobby to restore a car and look at the work that has been done.
      If you think I'm full of sh*t here's pic's of a gti I stripped to use parts for my gti since my pass. Side inner and outer quarter are f**ked

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      10-08-2012 10:51 AM #32
      WAIT!!!!!!! you have got to be fukin with us. you put that much effort into a MK3 to be save and yet you don't think the same effort should be put into saving this bus. this bus will get 3x the money when done then your MK3 will ever get.

J

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 01:11 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by LooseNuts View Post
      WAIT!!!!!!! you have got to be fukin with us. you put that much effort into a MK3 to be save and yet you don't think the same effort should be put into saving this bus. this bus will get 3x the money when done then your MK3 will ever get.

It's not about getting the money back that I'm putting into it. I got the Ginster GTI for $1000 and after its all said and done as a whole I can prob get 6500 after throwing 10k into it. I'm not in it to make money, its just a car I like and something I want to do. Don't see why it bothers you so much unless your life if just that boring that you can't anything to do but make pointless comments and ridiculing other people's hobbies or how they choose to spend their money. For the op he can buy the van if he wants, I threw my opinion out there just like he wanted if you didn't like it, too bad its not your thread, you don't have to like my opinion.

34. 10-16-2012 04:08 PM #34
      Does anyone think that I could fit some 19x10's on a bus like this if I had enough stretch?