Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Another staggered wheel question. (I'm sorry.)

Vehicles
      MKIV Bagged FY GTI, '08 DBP R #1057
      10-04-2012 12:45 AM #1
      I just got a set of Merc Alphards within the last few days. Now, I know that the outer circumferences need to be within 4% of each other. I have a few questions though.

1.) The tires that came on the car are 215/40/18 all around, the wheels are 18x8.9 / 9.5. I've been running them for the past few days and haven't noticed a difference, if something was out of whack, would that show immediately? Would the car actually freak out? I do not have any warning lights.

2.) Via willtheyfit.com, staggering 215's and 225's are within 4% - but if I can run 215's all around, that will obviously have the same circumference.. right?

I know they're probably stupid questions, but I want to be absolutely sure before I screw something up. This is my first AWD car, so I don't want to hurt anything.

Also, unrelated issue - the merc wheels don't have the tire pressure monitoring things, is there a way to tell the car that everything is ok? Some sort of bypass? Vagcom?

Please don't come in here telling me that "MY STAGGERED WHEELS ARE HURTING MY HANDLING, I'M GOING TO DIE FROM BEING SO UNSAFE."

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      10-04-2012 12:55 AM #2
      In terms of rolling on staggered wheels, with the Alphards you're fine. Quit worrying and drive.

As for TPMS, the sensors can be purchased separately or transferred from your stock wheels. Personally I disabled all TPMS-related functions in my car. Nothing a tire pressure gauge on the valve stem every now and then won't solve.
      Last edited by baconfenders; 10-04-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      10-04-2012 02:29 AM #3
      Dear god, did nobody pay any attention in high school math?

Circumference = distance around the outside of a circle. If both wheels are 19" diameter (distance across the face), they will have the same circumference if you use the same size tire.

Tire size is measured in mm / percentage / rim diameter. The mm is the section width, across the face of the tire. The percentage tells you how tall the sidewall is - it's a percentage of the section width. (I have no idea why it's expressed that way, but that's how it is.)

As long as you have identical section width, sidewall height, and rim diameter... your circumference will be the same (unless the front tires are worn to the cords and the rears are new, but even then you're probably within 4%). Doesn't matter if the wheels have different widths, you can have 18x7 and 18x20 in the back and the circumference is the same.

And yeah, your staggered wheels are hurting your handling, but as long as you don't give a crap about that, more power to you. Kind of going against the "purpose" of the car though.
      [Forge CAI, BlueFlame catback, DLI mounts, UM software, RNS510+MDI+9W7BT, RacingBrake 4pot, OEM (projector) fogs, other Euro stuff]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2014 || I UM

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      10-04-2012 02:41 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      Kind of going against the "purpose" of the car though.
      Wasn't aware you knew the OP. Interesting.

Purpose of the car, give me a break. The purpose of the car is to be enjoyed by the owner. Period.

Vehicles
      Current: 2008 MKV .:R32 Old: 2000 B5 Passat
      10-04-2012 02:59 AM #5
      You'll be fine... As stated, you have nothing to worry about and you can transfer the TPMS if you wish... Or just do as many of us have and disable it, which is easy to do as well...

Don't worry about over thinking it, I did the same thing when I first ran a set of staggered wheels... If anything, when the time comes to get new tires, get 215's up front and 225's in the rear, if that'll give you peace of mind...

Also, I still fail to see how staggered wheels hurt the handling of the car... Especially if the wheels are within the specs required for the Haldex system... Besides, again as stated above, the purpose of the car is to be enjoyed by the owner...
      Last edited by MoWsE; 10-04-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Vehicles
      MKIV Bagged FY GTI, '08 DBP R #1057
      10-04-2012 10:06 AM #6
      Thanks for the help guys. I guess my main concern was that since the rears were an inch wider, and the tires would stretch more (assuming I was running the same size on front and rear), that it would reduce the overall circumference. Again, probably just me over reacting, I know. But I wanted to be absolutely sure before I did any real damage.

Thanks again guys.

Vehicles
      B5 S4, MkV R32, W203 C240, W123 300D Turbo, W210 E320 4Matic
      10-04-2012 04:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MoWsE View Post
      Also, I still fail to see how staggered wheels hurt the handling of the car... Especially if the wheels are within the specs required for the Haldex system...
      The more you stagger the wheels/tires with wider in the rear, the more understeer. The car comes from the factory "semi-staggered" with the front track being wider than the rear...probably to balance the handling out so by doing the opposite and with even more extreme staggering, you are negating that balance and making it much worse.

But yeah, whatever makes the owner happy...
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.
      Help us with suspension specs!
      Vag Evolution: MkI Rabbit -> MkII 16v GTI -> B5 S4/MkV .:R32

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      10-04-2012 05:27 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by RU1NED View Post
      Wasn't aware you knew the OP. Interesting.

Purpose of the car, give me a break. The purpose of the car is to be enjoyed by the owner. Period.
      VW's "purpose" for an R32, aside from separating all of us from our money, is a better handling, more engaging car than the GTI. That's what I was getting at. You know, because racecar.

You obviously skipped the part where I said "as long as you don't give a crap about that, more power to you."
      [Forge CAI, BlueFlame catback, DLI mounts, UM software, RNS510+MDI+9W7BT, RacingBrake 4pot, OEM (projector) fogs, other Euro stuff]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2014 || I UM

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      10-04-2012 05:35 PM #9
      VW's "purpose" for an R32, aside from separating all of us from our money, is a better handling, more engaging car than the GTI.
      None of which has anything to do with the original question about staggered wheels.

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      10-04-2012 05:50 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by RU1NED View Post
      None of which has anything to do with the original question about staggered wheels.
      Yeah, and every thread in this forum always stays 100% on topic.
      WitW 2014 || I UM

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      10-04-2012 05:59 PM #11
      Yeah, and every thread in this forum always stays 100% on topic.
      Made me laugh.