Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Schumacher to retire

10-04-2012 06:24 AM #1
      Not surprised: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103048

I hope he stays with Mercedes in some capacity. Hope he gets some strong results before the season ends.

Last edited by mx5er; 10-04-2012 at 06:29 AM.

2. 10-04-2012 07:13 AM #2
      that sucks. yeah he had a crash or two that was uncalled for but so has many. the car sucked through and through. if he could not change the car over three years i really do not see hamilton doing anything.

michael is the best car developer... period.

no testing sucks.

the reports claiming that once the new engines come mercedes will kick butt. no prooff. i do not think ferrari or renault are going to be crap.

hamilton wants a challenge, thats all fine, but he is more there for his brand. schumacher during his years at ferrari lived and breathed ferrari. thats the difference.

good luck michael, enjoy your family.....

3. 10-04-2012 09:17 AM #3
      Good, should have never came back, imo he tainted his legacy a lot by coming back.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      10-04-2012 09:20 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rscshakespeare View Post
      that sucks. yeah he had a crash or two that was uncalled for but so has many. the car sucked through and through. if he could not change the car over three years i really do not see hamilton doing anything.

michael is the best car developer... period.

no testing sucks.

the reports claiming that once the new engines come mercedes will kick butt. no prooff. i do not think ferrari or renault are going to be crap.

hamilton wants a challenge, thats all fine, but he is more there for his brand. schumacher during his years at ferrari lived and breathed ferrari. thats the difference.

good luck michael, enjoy your family.....
      This is a similar retirement as the first one. New driver that has been signed "encourages" Schumi to retire. Kimi then and Lewis now. Schumi thrived in the unlimited test era of F1, he loved testing and would refine the car to the n-th degree doing countless laps at Ferrari. no one could match that sort of commitment. That is what made him the best. It will be interesting to see what his future holds in regards to F1.

I'm also curious to see how Hammie changes once out from McLaren. McLaren were second parents to Hammie and never seemed to be allowed to really be his own person. Who knows, perhaps he'll surprise everyone with his new found freedoms and make that team his own.

5. 10-04-2012 09:37 AM #5
      wiredvw, i agree with you about schumacher being a testing king.

one never knows regarding hamilton, perhaps he may surprise us all. but do you think that rosberg is just going to sit there. he is quick as well, we all have seen it. if the car sucks it sucks. if it is good they do good.

schumacher does not suck but he could not get that car to properly improve.

hamilton may be quick but that does not win races. i think that rosberg will challenge him and it will not be a cake walk for hamilton. rosberg is probably better rounded driver after being on a few teams.

everybody is already claiming hamilton will stomp him because he beat rosberg a few times many many years ago. that was then.

obviously time will tell, but the bottom line is that hamilton has a chip on his shoulder and that does not just disappear. it will reappear when winning is not in his forecast.

6. 10-04-2012 12:41 PM #6
      I agree that his legend was partially tainted, but I am glad to see him make the call instead of being pushed out like Rubens was. Or was he really pushed out and no other team wanted him? I find that hard to believe.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      10-04-2012 01:16 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by dubsix View Post
      Good, should have never came back, imo he tainted his legacy a lot by coming back.
      He will still be regarded as the greatest. When they write about him in books, these last three years will get a couple of sentences.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

8. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      10-04-2012 01:44 PM #8
      Instead...he should have never retired after '06. He could have had another WDC had he stayed another 1-2 seasons at Ferrari.
      Also, I don't buy into the "tainted" legacy bit. His legacy is just fine. Athletes in all sports...if they care still capable to be competitve I see no reason why they shouldn't max their careers out for all it's worth, regardless of what they have in the bank. Most are bored silly after they retire so why not put it off as long as possible. Plus...when they see the contract, all those zeros tend to influence as well.

9. 10-04-2012 02:16 PM #9
      I doubt that he would have nailed another title, Ferrari pretty well forced him out where would he have gone and won a title with. As for tainted his legacy, he did more sh!t headed moves in his return that cemented the stuff from his earlier career that people seemed ready to overlook, this 'comeback' stirred that all up again.

10. 10-05-2012 05:37 PM #10
      wiredvw, i agree with you about schumacher being a testing king.

one never knows regarding hamilton, perhaps he may surprise us all. but do you think that rosberg is just going to sit there. he is quick as well, we all have seen it. if the car sucks it sucks. if it is good they do good.

schumacher does not suck but he could not get that car to properly improve.

hamilton may be quick but that does not win races. i think that rosberg will challenge him and it will not be a cake walk for hamilton. rosberg is probably better rounded driver after being on a few teams.

everybody is already claiming hamilton will stomp him because he beat rosberg a few times many many years ago. that was then.

obviously time will tell, but the bottom line is that hamilton has a chip on his shoulder and that does not just disappear. it will reappear when winning is not in his forecast.
      Rosberg a better driver for being on multiple teams? Hasn't won anything big, that was not a gimme... Hasn't placed in the Top 5 ever.... He's a better driver...

Who left the glue can open....?

This is retarded...

11. 10-05-2012 07:48 PM #11
      i did not say better driver, i said better rounded driver.

i meant he is able to cope with the bad and does not curse out the team.....

hamilton has an extremely short fused temper

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda CX-9 Zoom zoom
      10-05-2012 08:28 PM #12
      Great article from a british source:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3260/...ng-that-wasn-t

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      10-06-2012 12:28 AM #13

i meant he is able to cope with the bad and does not curse out the team.....
      I'm pretty certain that The Rosberg will never win the big trophy either. He simply doesn't have the killer instinct that Hamilton has. Can't believe i'm actually in Hams corner, yet really am looking to see what he will be able to do at Mercedes.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-06-2012 11:41 PM #14
      Instead of saying that, I think you should've praised him for having guts, balls and god knows what else for returning to a professional sport that has the biggest exposure to the public.

He knew what he was in for and knew that his chances of winning another WDC are next to none. He's still decided to do it and stayed competitive even against people half of his age. There aren't many people in the world who stay fully committed to the sport for such a long time, especially after they have a family. Most retire as soon as the first child is born, because it's just too damn difficult to stick to such an intense physical training.

As much as I dislike Schumacher's driving style or his racing tactics, the guy is a living legend and has inspired thousands of kids to come into sport.

Hats off to Schumi and he sure will be missed.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda CX-9 Zoom zoom
      10-07-2012 02:20 PM #15
      Well said J-Tim

16. 10-07-2012 10:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Instead of saying that, I think you should've praised him...
      Nah, I'll stick with my opinion but I respect yours. Gotta know when to say when, lots of young guys coming up that miss a chance in this sport because some guys can't quit.