Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New to VW Jetta TDI vs GOLF TDI new

1. 10-04-2012 09:39 AM #1
      I am new to VW. I am looking at getting either a Jetta TDI or a GOLF TDI. Reasons for choosing
      > Really good on GAS
      >Golf seems to be german build -Wins
      >Jetta seems to be Mexico build

Anyone can comment.?

Also Is the stock 8 speaker system any good, vs the upgraded 6 speaker system, or should I just put in my own...

Cheers

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-04-2012 12:35 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by alex1002 View Post
      I am new to VW. I am looking at getting either a Jetta TDI or a GOLF TDI. Reasons for choosing
      > Really good on GAS

Anyone can comment.?

Also Is the stock 8 speaker system any good, vs the upgraded 6 speaker system, or should I just put in my own...

Cheers
      Forget where they are built. What do you prefer - an almost mid-sized sedan, or a compact hatch (still with good rear seating)? What do you prefer - a comfortable sedan or a pretty quick car that - in the US - comes with a standard sport suspension? Also, the latter has the better interior, better standard equipment, higher level equipment, better torsional rigidity, and better NVH. Your choice - they are quite different, actually. You can tell which one I picked!
      Last edited by feels_road; 10-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

3. 10-04-2012 12:43 PM #3
      > Really good on GAS
      TDIs are great on GAS because they use no GAS at all.

This 2012, not 1982.

I have no experience with the Jetta sound system. On the Golf, I am very happy with the Dynaudio system mine has.

4. 10-04-2012 03:09 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      TDIs are great on GAS because they use no GAS at all.

This 2012, not 1982.

I have no experience with the Jetta sound system. On the Golf, I am very happy with the Dynaudio system mine has.
      I meant diesel.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 passat 6m tungsten/cornsilk 1998 passat wagon 1.8L 5MT Colorado Red Pearl
      10-04-2012 05:09 PM #5
      drive both and see. it is the only way you will know for certain. the golf is really an amazing car esp in tdi format. if interior size is an issue the jetta will feel larger on the inside. personally i like a smaller car, i am more comfortable in a smaller cabin. some folks cannot stand it.

if you like the versatility of a hatch but want a slightly larger vehicle consider the jetta sport wagen tdi. the rest of teh world knows it as the golf wagon because that is truly what it is. doesnt handle like the golf tdi but it is better than the jetta sedan in my opinion.

6. 10-06-2012 06:46 AM #6
      The Jetta is a new design,whereas the Golf is getting old,and is being replaced in Europe at the moment with an all new body.

The Jetta looks classier,and is a sedan,which I prefer,but at the end of the day,its up to you what you prefer.

7. Member shedtearsforwisconsin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0, 20th AE BMP 1.8t No.1773
      10-23-2012 04:55 PM #7
      the new TDIs are nice. between the golf or the jetta its a horse a piece... correct me if im wrong but both models are made now in mexico i believe and the passat in TN. now i dont know what you plan on doing with the car or even if you plan on buying new. i work at a dealer and i see the jetta come in with problems a lot more than the new golfs... and plus the golf (rabbit) and beetle made VW famous get the classic.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-24-2012 12:53 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by shedtearsforwisconsin View Post
      the new TDIs are nice. between the golf or the jetta its a horse a piece... correct me if im wrong but both models are made now in mexico i believe and the passat in TN.
      The Golf is still made in Germany (although that will likely change for the MkVII, and this is largely irrelevant, anyway). Currently, the Golf and the Jetta are rather different because they do not share a platform: The Jetta is slightly larger, in particular in the back, but has more hard plastics and not quite as nice as an interior (including shift boot, hand brake, steering wheel, and seats) as the TDI Golf. The latter also comes with a sport suspension standard in the US - the Jetta, not so much.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

9. Member shedtearsforwisconsin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0, 20th AE BMP 1.8t No.1773
      10-24-2012 08:19 AM #9
      they made a GTI TDI for a second... haha get your hands on one of those. the interior is kinda of cheap and full of plastic.

10. 10-26-2012 10:19 AM #10
      I had a 2011 Jetta DSG TDI and got rid of it, A year later bought a 2010 Golf MT TDI and love it. I felt like the Jetta was too mushy and not very fun to drive. The golf had the standard stereo and I replaced it with a couple amps, Focal mids-highs, and a JL 8" sub. sounds great. It is my DD. I can help if you need with the stereo.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI,2 door,Grey
      10-28-2012 02:22 PM #11
      A Jetta is just a Golf with a trunk. The choice for me, and I have owned both types, 2 Jettas, and 4 Golfs, is if you like the hatchback concept.
      The trunk seems to be more secure, while the hatchback, more versatile.
      2013 Golf TDI, 2door, Grey, Manual