Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Official: Schumacher is Retiring (again)

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec
      10-04-2012 02:50 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      At the same token I can't see Fangio or Gilles be able to drive the current cars today neither. Senna probably would be fine, but really he is already in the modern era. The technique and the handling of the vehicle from the old cars to new cars are not exactly the same neither. The advent of downforce alters the technique required to carry speed through the corner and the modern wide slicks makes the transition from grip to slip much finer. Its just not the same sports. Even looking at the last few years, the technique required from driving a blown diffuser car compare to ones without it is different also, and some driver suffered more than others(see Vettel v Webber). The winning driver of a given period are the ones thats most adapt to the given circumstances. You can't just say that the modern drivers don't have the same ability anymore, if all their career leading up to that point was in a downforce car with wide slicks and carbon brake. Just like you can't stick a Fangio in today's car if he doesn't even have the understanding of what downforce is.
      I would disagree, I can't think of a modern car that is more difficult to drive than older cars. I mean even the meanest street cars of today with 600+ horsepower delivers the power in a much smoother way, that's just the nature of technology. Different, yes, and the way you drive them is definitely different. But I think they would adapt quite fine.

Everything in all levels of racing has always been introduced to make the car easier to control, easier to go faster in. Suspension, brakes, aero. This is all very obvious. So it makes what those drivers of days gone by did that much more impressive.

You won't convince me that it's every bit as difficult to drive, say, a modern Porsche GT car as it is to drive a race prepped 930 Turbo. Tire technology alone has increased adhesion and wear intervals immensely in motorsports.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec
      10-04-2012 02:53 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      I can't see Youtube at work, so I don't know if this is the crash at the Chicane, or the turn one of the year after....because Senna DID run Prost off the road in turn 1 the year after....
      Apologies, I thought you were debating the chicane.

Turn 1 was fueled by a lot of politics, revenge, grid selection changes. I think it was a little more complex than "I am a whiny baby and if I can't win nobody can". It wasn't "right" and was the focus of much debate. Yes you found ONE instance where Senna may have had a moment of weakness. Schumacher made sure to show time and time again just how much of an ******* he was. Much like Hamilton does today.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-04-2012 03:15 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Apologies, I thought you were debating the chicane.

Turn 1 was fueled by a lot of politics, revenge, grid selection changes. I think it was a little more complex than "I am a whiny baby and if I can't win nobody can". It wasn't "right" and was the focus of much debate. Yes you found ONE instance where Senna may have had a moment of weakness. Schumacher made sure to show time and time again just how much of an ******* he was. Much like Hamilton does today.
      I think your personal dislike of Schumacher is blinding you a bit here.

One of the biggest indicators of Senna's greatness was how much better he was in the wet than everyone else. Schumacher was the same.

For 13 straight years from 1994-2006, Schumacher was in the F1 title hunt. At 43 he is getting on the podium in a clearly inferior car. His time in the field's best car was maybe 3-4 years (01-04) out of the 13-year period of title contention.

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      10-04-2012 03:16 PM #39
      He's the Bret Farvrvre of racing.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      10-04-2012 03:21 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY View Post
      He's the Bret Farvrvre of racing.
      I would say Micheal Jordan.
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

Vehicles
      89 gti
      10-04-2012 03:50 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by ryank View Post
      Of course that will always be up for debate, but in his prime, no one could even come close to Schumacher in the wet and his feel for the limit was always discussed as being scary good. Any one else remember that documentary where they reviewed telematry of Schumi vs. another F1 driver? The difference in the number of steering inputs vs. the other driver was astonoshing

7. 10-04-2012 04:09 PM #42
      Fangio, Gilles, et al would completely lack the conditioning required to drive today's cars for a full race distance. Aside from the gulf of time, that would be the toughest thing for the previous generations of drivers.

Aside from that, I think there was a bigger breadth in quality in F1 three or more decades ago. Damn near anyone could show up with a car and race. When ABBA is driving in F1, you know there is some crap talent in the field. It was easier for a driver to shine against people like that.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CSG Golf R
      10-04-2012 04:14 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by EL GOLFO DE MEXICO View Post
      Oh that's 1993 - Schumi wasn't in his prime yet

Vehicles
      [Current:] 99 Civic [Past:] 84 Rabbit, 85 Quantum, 87 Jetta, 97 Jetta, 96 Passat
      10-04-2012 04:27 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      One of the biggest indicators of Senna's greatness was how much better he was in the wet than everyone else. Schumacher was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by EL GOLFO DE MEXICO View Post

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      10-04-2012 04:35 PM #45
      I'd like to see all the current drivers put in an identical car and see the times.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-04-2012 05:52 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post
      I'd like to see all the current drivers put in an identical car and see the times.
      So would the rest of us..

Vehicles
      Track ready, Supercharged R32+ Track-Ready Vw Polo 6N, with GTI motor.
      10-04-2012 06:14 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Who is that guy? Ralf's brother?
      i literally lold..thank you

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T
      10-04-2012 06:35 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Swapped6n View Post
      i literally lold..thank you
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Who is that guy? Ralf's brother?
      The carpet pissers did this?!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Kia Forte SX sedan
      10-04-2012 07:29 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post
      They already tried that in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...e_of_Champions

Also there is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Champions

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      10-04-2012 07:56 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I would say Micheal Jordan.
      You know when I first heard Schumacher's coming back, my first reaction was, "oh boy...he's making the same mistake as Jordan."

When you're that good and you leave the sport after so many victories, coming back after multiple years of retirement will always be a let-down. Just like Magic & Favre. As competitive as he is, I'm sure he's not happy about how he's performed but I doubt he regrets is.

Either way, I think it's the right time to quit permanently.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T
      10-05-2012 10:06 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      You know when I first heard Schumacher's coming back, my first reaction was, "oh boy...he's making the same mistake as Jordan."

When you're that good and you leave the sport after so many victories, coming back after multiple years of retirement will always be a let-down. Just like Magic & Favre. As competitive as he is, I'm sure he's not happy about how he's performed but I doubt he regrets is.

Either way, I think it's the right time to quit permanently.

I idolized him for so many years that I was crushed when Alonso beat him out of the championship his last* season. To hear of his return was the greatest feeling in the world. Since then, I have pulled for him more than any other driver, but now (in the midst of his mediocrity) I am a bit saddened that he couldn't make something happen. I hope ultimately this does not deter from his prior glory.

Here's to hoping he can pull off something special in the last 6 races!
      The carpet pissers did this?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12