Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I HOPE its JUST timing off... :(

1. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8t
      10-04-2012 11:12 AM #1
      so I've had a new gates racing timing belt lyin around, just been lazy about putting it on. well today, i got everything in my motor working good, test drive time. I need to adjust wastegate i figured out. Well toward the end of my test drive, Im in 5th, pullin about 15 psi, partial throttle. I smell something burning. Oh GAWD. then it ran horrible, like its mis firing. drove another half mile to my shop. Popped the hood and omg hold my balls! The old timing belt Im going to assume is just old, and stretched, and under load, stretch so far out it rubbed against something and about half of the top layer is gone. I pushed it from where i parked in to the bay. So...This is my diagnosis. The belt stetched and rubbed against something, in the process, skipped some teeth maybe, causing timing to be off. I hope and pray I didnt bend valves...So what do you guys think? Could I be lucky or did I screw up? I just printed out the DIY on here for the timing belt job. GOnna have my friend bring over my timing belt and hopefully have it on by tonight.

Vehicles
      German, American, Jap'erican
      10-04-2012 12:22 PM #2
      You'll find out one of two ways. Either you pull the head and check the valves, or you install new belt and either it runs or smashes the leftover valves into shrapnel.
      PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON
      *THE PANDIT PROJECT(click me!)
      *GRAY GHOST TACTICAL
      "All men are created equal, then a few become Firemen"

3. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8t
      10-04-2012 02:07 PM #3
      there was a loose 10 mm nut jammed between the belt and the block at the crank pulley. Thats what was rubbing the belt. Havent gotton the belt off just yet but im workin on it

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-04-2012 02:29 PM #4
      Sounds like you got lucky.

Do a fresh timing belt job and inspect for any other damage that random little crap nut did.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8t
      10-04-2012 04:16 PM #5
      well i got the old one off. trying to put the new one on. i didnt see anything damaged. I got a pic of the nut location.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t GTI (dead) 337 (being built)
      10-04-2012 04:33 PM #6
      That's sketchy. Not to be a dick, but did you ever realize you dropped a nut somewhere? If I ever drop a nut and don't see it under the car I make a point to find it. It's annoying, but look what can happen.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8t
      10-04-2012 04:40 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by zrau17 View Post
      That's sketchy. Not to be a dick, but did you ever realize you dropped a nut somewhere? If I ever drop a nut and don't see it under the car I make a point to find it. It's annoying, but look what can happen.
      lol. well, I never dropped a nut actually. I had a extra nut. I didnt realize it until i put the valve cover back on after a gasket change. Looked every where for a place for it. so i just tighten it over top of another valve cover nut (this was 6 months ago btw), just in case i did find where it went and i never lost it, because its right there to unscrew and put where ever. never knew it was loose or anything. so apparently it unscrewed it self.
      Last edited by Rivals Inc; 10-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t GTI (dead) 337 (being built)
      10-04-2012 04:44 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Rivals Inc View Post
      lol. well, I never dropped a nut actually. I had a extra nut. I didnt realize it until i put the valve cover back on after a gasket change. Looked every where for a place for it. so i just tighten it over top of another valve cover nut (this was 6 months ago btw), just in case i did find where it went and i never lost it, because its right there to unscrew and put where ever. never knew it was loose or anything.
      Well now you know haha, hopefully the head is okay and it's just a learning experience.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8t
      10-04-2012 04:48 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by zrau17 View Post
      Well now you know haha, hopefully the head is okay and it's just a learning experience.
      well i know it was missin like a coil pack out which i JUST replaced 2 of them. thats what i thought had happened initially. I remember smellin burnt rubber, then miss fire. I hope it was the nut catching right there next to the crank. I'll do a compression test when everything is back together. and so FAR from the timing marks. It doesnt APPEAR to be out of time. AND i will check for codes also.

10. 10-04-2012 05:14 PM #10
      Fwiw, when my timing was off it was VERY noticeable. Just line it up and put it back together.

Oh, and always listen for whatever you drop, to go all the way through the engine bay and hit the floor. You don't hear it, you go digging. Magnets are your friend.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8t
      10-05-2012 03:55 PM #11
      Well. I put everything back together and...danget it moved timing (im assuming during tensioner installation) maybe I had some slack in the belt but it didnt seem like it. I noticed when I went to do a compression test . I use 2 different ones....Gawd I hope I didnt bend any valves. I checked the marks and crank is in TDC but cam is about 30' off. OFF with everything and hopefully to readjust.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8t
      10-08-2012 05:51 PM #12

Top left corner. I see a hole...and a bunch of oil on top of the piston.

Got the timing belt on and before i put motor mount on...accessory belt etc...i went ahead and did a compression test. cylinder 4,3, and 1 held 180 psi. Cylinder 2, absolutely no life. Took off the valve cover, Valves seem ok. Went to get the snake camera....stuck it down the hole and this