Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need to extend EL wire power wire, lamp cord OK?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      10-04-2012 03:12 PM #1
      I have some of EL wire, running off a small battery pack, but it only has a short run of wire from the battery pack, to where the EL wire is.

If I want to simply extend the wire from the battery pack, can I just splice in some new wire? I was thinking lamp cord would do the job, would it? If lamp cord is no good, then what would work? I don't want to extend the part that glows / lights up, just the wire from the battery pack to the start of the glowing wire. One runs on a 9V battery, the other on 3 AA batteries.

Thanks.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord coupe V6 / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      10-06-2012 03:08 PM #2
      Lamp wire will be fine. You might get wire even cheaper @ home depot. Look for doorbell transformer wire, its twisted pair and much thinner. Probably cheaper.
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      10-10-2012 01:27 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      I have some of EL wire, running off a small battery pack, but it only has a short run of wire from the battery pack, to where the EL wire is.

If I want to simply extend the wire from the battery pack, can I just splice in some new wire? I was thinking lamp cord would do the job, would it? If lamp cord is no good, then what would work? I don't want to extend the part that glows / lights up, just the wire from the battery pack to the start of the glowing wire. One runs on a 9V battery, the other on 3 AA batteries.

Thanks.
      advertising wire too much?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      10-10-2012 03:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mraguilar View Post
      advertising wire too much?
      LOL, I did not even notice that. I had originally posted the question over at DIYMA.com, then just copied and pasted over to here. I guess they have something in their forum software to put the links in.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069