VWVortex.com - Need to extend EL wire power wire, lamp cord OK?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need to extend EL wire power wire, lamp cord OK?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      10-04-2012 03:12 PM #1
      I have some of EL wire, running off a small battery pack, but it only has a short run of wire from the battery pack, to where the EL wire is.

If I want to simply extend the wire from the battery pack, can I just splice in some new wire? I was thinking lamp cord would do the job, would it? If lamp cord is no good, then what would work? I don't want to extend the part that glows / lights up, just the wire from the battery pack to the start of the glowing wire. One runs on a 9V battery, the other on 3 AA batteries.

Thanks.

Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX / 2013 Toyota Yaris LE
      10-06-2012 03:08 PM #2
      Lamp wire will be fine. You might get wire even cheaper @ home depot. Look for doorbell transformer wire, its twisted pair and much thinner. Probably cheaper.
      When I was little, my father was famous, He was the greatest samurai in the empire, And he was the Shogun's decapitator, He cut off the heads of a hundred and thirty-one lords, It was a bad time for the empire, The Shogun just stayed inside his castle and he never came out, People said his brain was infected by devils, My father would come home he would forget about the killings, He wasn't scared of the Shogun, but the Shogun was scared of him

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      10-10-2012 01:27 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      I have some of EL wire, running off a small battery pack, but it only has a short run of wire from the battery pack, to where the EL wire is.

If I want to simply extend the wire from the battery pack, can I just splice in some new wire? I was thinking lamp cord would do the job, would it? If lamp cord is no good, then what would work? I don't want to extend the part that glows / lights up, just the wire from the battery pack to the start of the glowing wire. One runs on a 9V battery, the other on 3 AA batteries.

Thanks.
      advertising wire too much?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      10-10-2012 03:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mraguilar View Post
      advertising wire too much?
      LOL, I did not even notice that. I had originally posted the question over at DIYMA.com, then just copied and pasted over to here. I guess they have something in their forum software to put the links in.

For advertising information click HERE