VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen may build next Golf in Mexico

Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      10-04-2012 05:39 PM #26
      No mames wey!
      "As anyone who has ever tinkered with an old BMW engine or looked out on to the wing of a jet can attest, pure response to engineering requirements can sometimes deliver just as much pleasure as a more intentionally aesthetic design process."

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-04-2012 05:43 PM #27

3. 10-04-2012 05:48 PM #28
      Looks like VAG is choosing mexico as mentioned earlier in the year.

Vehicles
      VW
      10-04-2012 06:09 PM #29
      I wonder how people feel about their Iphone being build in China by child laborers.

94% of your life is "made in China" and you are b!tching about your econobox being made in Mexico.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      10-04-2012 06:11 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      I wonder how people feel about their Iphone being build in China by child laborers.

94% of your life is "made in China" and you are b!tching about your econobox being made in Mexico.
      Hey. from past experience those iPhones are quality products, on the other hand, Mexico assembled MKAY4's not so much.
      "As anyone who has ever tinkered with an old BMW engine or looked out on to the wing of a jet can attest, pure response to engineering requirements can sometimes deliver just as much pleasure as a more intentionally aesthetic design process."

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      10-04-2012 06:14 PM #31
      My VIN begins with 9,... made in Brazil!

One of the toughest cars ive driven/owned

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-04-2012 06:21 PM #32
      I find this disappointing. It may not sway my decision to get a VW by much. But I still prefer products that are manufactured where they are designed. It's nothing more than a coolness appeal. It's been kinda of a warm-fuzzy feeling for me to see "Made in Japan" when opening the door to my former Mazda, Subaru and current Nissan

10-04-2012 06:24 PM #33
      I want my robots to be part of the master race.

9. 10-04-2012 06:58 PM #34
      My friend had a Mk3 Golf that was made in Mexico. STUPID PERSON THAT WROTE THE ARTICLE!!!!!

With the key in the ignition and the door open, it would play "La Cucaracha" (seriously).

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit
      10-04-2012 07:57 PM #35
      My MKV was made in Germany, and its a steaming pile.
      I welcome our new Mexican Overlords.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      10-04-2012 07:59 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      My MKV was made in Germany, and its a steaming pile.
      I welcome our new Mexican Overlords.
      At the same time, though, I've had 0 issues with the two VWs I've had come from Germany and a metric sh!t ton of issues with the 1 I've had come from Mexico. All purchased brand new.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      I want to start a fundamentalist bakery called "Let he who is without sin snatch the first scone"

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-04-2012 08:06 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      At the same time, though, I've had 0 issues with the two VWs I've had come from Germany and a metric sh!t ton of issues with the 1 I've had come from Mexico. All purchased brand new.
      I think that's just more proof that VWs are nearly all steaming piles of horse manure, but YMMV.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit
      10-04-2012 08:18 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      I think that's just more proof that VWs are nearly all steaming piles of horse manure, but YMMV.
      Some consistency would be nice.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-04-2012 08:28 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Benkennedy11 View Post
      I've owned Mexican and Brazilian made Golfs... but never a Golf made in Germany (though I had a German Rabbit and a German Jetta). So, what difference does it make?
      I've had a few very good cars from the Puebla plant(3 Golfs) so I'm fine with the car being built there. My greatest concern is for the TDI given the torsion beam on the jetta. The future of the sportwagen in the American market is also a bit worrying given the overall direction of the company and product line up.
      I've been losing lots of keys lately
      I don't know what that means but maybe
      I'd be better of with things that can't be locked at all

15. 10-04-2012 09:48 PM #40
      From what I've seen Mexico isn't too bad for assembeling cars. For example the Chevy avalanche which is assembled purely in mexico used to be rated higher than any other of the GM trucks as far as build quality and reliability. The fusion also assembled in Mexico is rated very high as far as build quality and reliability too. So I think VW has more problems than where their cars are assembled.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
      1999 Toyota 4runner 3.4 Limited

Vehicles
      90 Corrado 1.8 T
      10-04-2012 10:13 PM #41
      All the Corrado hate. My Corrado was apparently assembled by Karmann, but the front inner fender sheet metal is stamped "hecho en mexico"
      Corrado

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-04-2012 11:37 PM #42
      I welcome this news as good news. Why you ask?

Patrikman's right brain: sweet...they could build Sciroccos here and .....like sell them here....and stuff.
      Patrikman's left brain: really? you would never pay that much for a wrong wheel drive coupe even if it does look that good.

Quote Originally Posted by velocidub View Post
      All of them were good cars.
      Lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraflux3 View Post
      My Corrado was apparently assembled by Karmann, but the front inner fender sheet metal is stamped "hecho en mexico"

I don't even own a Corrado and I know better to say something like that.

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
      10-04-2012 11:51 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      >"... marking the first time the Golf is built outside of Germany. "

Uhh, pretty darn sure that my '95 GTI VR6 was Hecho en Mexico.
      Yah, my 91 Golf was built in Mexico, and my dad's 03' Golf was built in Brazil... I don't get it.

Don't see the problem either. The Mexico plant is modern and closer to US/Canada. Building a car with lower margins at a plant in Germany seems foolish. I wonder if they mean all Golf's will be built in Mexico? Or the first time German Golf will be sources from a place other than Germany.

Article doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
      My friend had a Mk3 Golf that was made in Mexico. STUPID PERSON THAT WROTE THE ARTICLE!!!!!

With the key in the ignition and the door open, it would play "La Cucaracha" (seriously).
      Not La Cucaracha. It's just three tones over and over again. La Cucaracha is five notes, three tones.

Last edited by Live-Wire; 10-05-2012 at 12:01 AM.

19. Senior Member
      10-05-2012 12:13 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Klim18 View Post
      Hey. from past experience those iPhones are quality products, on the other hand, Mexico assembled MKAY4's not so much.
      The a4 cars were unreliable because of parts not designed for sufficient reliability and durability (window regulator clips, mass airflow sensors, brake lamp switches, hazard switches, coolant temperature sensors, glow plugs, coil packs, door latches, etc.), not because the parts were improperly assembled. Assembly quality for the a4 cars made in Mexico, Germany, and Brazil was excellent, but that did not prevent the poorly designed aforementioned parts from failing.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-05-2012 12:25 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      The a4 cars were unreliable because of parts not designed for sufficient reliability and durability (window regulator clips, mass airflow sensors, brake lamp switches, hazard switches, coolant temperature sensors, glow plugs, coil packs, door latches, etc.), not because the parts were improperly assembled. Assembly quality for the a4 cars made in Mexico, Germany, and Brazil was excellent, but that did not prevent the poorly designed aforementioned parts from failing.

Yup, that didn't have much to do with Volskwagen, as same parts used in BMW, Volvo, Opel and Mercedes around that time failed just as often.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-05-2012 12:36 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      So umm...yeah. Make some lemonade.

22. Senior Member
      10-05-2012 02:34 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Yup, that didn't have much to do with Volskwagen, as same parts used in BMW, Volvo, Opel and Mercedes around that time failed just as often.
      What are you trying to say?

The unreliable parts do have plenty to do with VW, since they were designed to VW's specs (regardless of whether similar parts failed in other cars). But it was the part unreliability, not the assembly quality in Mexico, Germany, or Brazil, that caused the unreliability.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-05-2012 04:19 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      I didn't think the US consumed enough Golfs to justify local production.
      No, but as was mentioned above, they then can sell the car also in Mexico and in Brazil (and in Canada, the Caribbean, and what not) - jointly a sizable market. And selling them in low-wage countries is possible because assembly cost for the MQB is down, and eventually the Beetle, Jetta, and JSW will also be fully on the MQB - one platform for one plant, with lots of parts sharing between four cars.

Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      No, but you could make them cheaply, sell them profitably in the US, and then export the rest to the EU and make a killing.
      Not going to happen if the union in Wolfsburg and Zwickau have anything to say about that. And they do.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

10-05-2012 04:38 AM #49
      If being built in Mexico means a cheaper sticker price then I'm all for it. Also they better not dumb it down like the Jetta.

VW could push the dumbed down Jetta to the masses, let them have it. But leave the Golf alone.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      10-05-2012 05:01 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by firstorbit84 View Post
      My mk4 golf TDI was made in Mexico, and my mkv Wolfsburg Jetta was made in Mexico, and my fox was made in Brazil. No big deal really. The only VW I've owned that was made in Germany was my Corrado, and guess which one was the least reliable
      I don't think the MkIV Golf was ever built in Mexico? I thought the early ones were built in Germany and the later ones were from Brazil?

I honestly don't think it matters where the car was assembled... All the problems we've ever had with our VWs (2 Mexican, 2 Pennsylvanian, 5 German and 1 Slovakian) have dealt with ****ty parts, not the assembly.

Window regulators, lower control arms, coil packs, faulty AC compressors, etc. don't care what country they were bolted onto the car in...
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast