VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Volkswagen may build next Golf in Mexico

18K views 94 replies 62 participants last post by  ajd187 
#1 · (Edited)
autoblog said:
The seventh-generation Volkswagen Golf is likely to go into production next year for North American consumption, but Automotive News is reporting that the latest version of the Volkswagen hatchback could end up being built in Mexico by 2014 according to an interview with CEO Martin Winterkorn. The decision to produce the recently debuted 2014 Golf there could happen within a few weeks, and if it does come to fruition, all three of VW's biggest sellers in the U.S. would be produced in North America.

This would bode well for VW's targeted sales growth in the U.S., which is already up 37 percent this year over 2011. AN says that Golf production would take place at VW's Puebla, Mexico plant that currently builds the Jetta and Beetle, marking the first time the Golf is built outside of Germany. The report also indicates that the automaker is planning to produce the car in China as well.

The Winterkorn interview also discussed the Chattanooga, Tennessee plant that currently builds the Passat. Winterkorn admits that while capacity maxed-out at the year-old facility, there's room for expansion. On that front, confirming earlier rumors, Winterkorn noted that if VW is going to expand, it would be with a utility vehicle that is "roomier than the Tiguan."

See less See more
#18 ·
Also, Golf is currently assembled in:

Wolfsburg, Germany
Mosel-Zwickau, Zwickau, Germany
Changchun, China
Jakarta, Indonesia
Pekan, Malaysia
Solomonovo, Ukraine

although all current US Golfs come from Germany

#39 ·
I've had a few very good cars from the Puebla plant(3 Golfs) so I'm fine with the car being built there. My greatest concern is for the TDI given the torsion beam on the jetta. The future of the sportwagen in the American market is also a bit worrying given the overall direction of the company and product line up.

#17 ·
The fact that my car was built in Germany was a serious positive when I was car shopping. I would much rather not buy something Mexican assembled, if only because ive heard a lot of horror stories.

But like someone else posted... the Corrado was made in Deutschland :p

#21 ·
My mk3 was built in Mexico and sold it after 10 years without a SINGLE issue, the most reliable car i´ve ever had, or does the passat being built in Chatanooga by overweight employees make it a ford pinto?, let´s stop this BS, Puebla´s plant is one of the most important assembly lines in the world for VAG, i´m not saying they´re perfect but come on:banghead:

#42 ·
I welcome this news as good news. Why you ask?

Patrikman's right brain: sweet...they could build Sciroccos here and .....like sell them here....and stuff. :)
Patrikman's left brain: really? you would never pay that much for a wrong wheel drive coupe even if it does look that good. :banghead:

All of them were good cars.
Lies.

My Corrado was apparently assembled by Karmann, but the front inner fender sheet metal is stamped "hecho en mexico"
:facepalm:

I don't even own a Corrado and I know better to say something like that.

#26 ·
No mames wey! :facepalm:

#30 ·
Hey. from past experience those iPhones are quality products, on the other hand, Mexico assembled MKAY4's not so much.

#32 ·
I find this disappointing. It may not sway my decision to get a VW by much. But I still prefer products that are manufactured where they are designed. It's nothing more than a coolness appeal. It's been kinda of a warm-fuzzy feeling for me to see "Made in Japan" when opening the door to my former Mazda, Subaru and current Nissan :heart:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.