Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen may build next Golf in Mexico

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      10-04-2012 07:59 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      My MKV was made in Germany, and its a steaming pile.
      I welcome our new Mexican Overlords.
      At the same time, though, I've had 0 issues with the two VWs I've had come from Germany and a metric sh!t ton of issues with the 1 I've had come from Mexico. All purchased brand new.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-04-2012 08:06 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      At the same time, though, I've had 0 issues with the two VWs I've had come from Germany and a metric sh!t ton of issues with the 1 I've had come from Mexico. All purchased brand new.
      I think that's just more proof that VWs are nearly all steaming piles of horse manure, but YMMV.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      10-04-2012 08:18 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      I think that's just more proof that VWs are nearly all steaming piles of horse manure, but YMMV.
      Some consistency would be nice.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-04-2012 08:28 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Benkennedy11 View Post
      I've owned Mexican and Brazilian made Golfs... but never a Golf made in Germany (though I had a German Rabbit and a German Jetta). So, what difference does it make?
      I've had a few very good cars from the Puebla plant(3 Golfs) so I'm fine with the car being built there. My greatest concern is for the TDI given the torsion beam on the jetta. The future of the sportwagen in the American market is also a bit worrying given the overall direction of the company and product line up.
      I've been losing lots of keys lately
      I don't know what that means but maybe
      I'd be better of with things that can't be locked at all

5. 10-04-2012 09:48 PM #40
      From what I've seen Mexico isn't too bad for assembeling cars. For example the Chevy avalanche which is assembled purely in mexico used to be rated higher than any other of the GM trucks as far as build quality and reliability. The fusion also assembled in Mexico is rated very high as far as build quality and reliability too. So I think VW has more problems than where their cars are assembled.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
      1999 Toyota 4runner 3.4 Limited

Vehicles
      90 Corrado 1.8 T
      10-04-2012 10:13 PM #41
      All the Corrado hate. My Corrado was apparently assembled by Karmann, but the front inner fender sheet metal is stamped "hecho en mexico"
      Corrado

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-04-2012 11:37 PM #42
      I welcome this news as good news. Why you ask?

Patrikman's right brain: sweet...they could build Sciroccos here and .....like sell them here....and stuff.
      Patrikman's left brain: really? you would never pay that much for a wrong wheel drive coupe even if it does look that good.

Quote Originally Posted by velocidub View Post
      All of them were good cars.
      Lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraflux3 View Post
      My Corrado was apparently assembled by Karmann, but the front inner fender sheet metal is stamped "hecho en mexico"

I don't even own a Corrado and I know better to say something like that.
      I've got a pocket full of pretty green -I'm gonna put it in the fruit machine -
      I'm gonna put it in the juke box -It's gonna play all the records in the hit parade

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-04-2012 11:51 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      >"... marking the first time the Golf is built outside of Germany. "

Uhh, pretty darn sure that my '95 GTI VR6 was Hecho en Mexico.
      Yah, my 91 Golf was built in Mexico, and my dad's 03' Golf was built in Brazil... I don't get it.

Don't see the problem either. The Mexico plant is modern and closer to US/Canada. Building a car with lower margins at a plant in Germany seems foolish. I wonder if they mean all Golf's will be built in Mexico? Or the first time German Golf will be sources from a place other than Germany.

Article doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
      My friend had a Mk3 Golf that was made in Mexico. STUPID PERSON THAT WROTE THE ARTICLE!!!!!

With the key in the ignition and the door open, it would play "La Cucaracha" (seriously).
      Not La Cucaracha. It's just three tones over and over again. La Cucaracha is five notes, three tones.

Last edited by Live-Wire; 10-05-2012 at 12:01 AM.

9. Senior Member
      10-05-2012 12:13 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Klim18 View Post
      Hey. from past experience those iPhones are quality products, on the other hand, Mexico assembled MKAY4's not so much.
      The a4 cars were unreliable because of parts not designed for sufficient reliability and durability (window regulator clips, mass airflow sensors, brake lamp switches, hazard switches, coolant temperature sensors, glow plugs, coil packs, door latches, etc.), not because the parts were improperly assembled. Assembly quality for the a4 cars made in Mexico, Germany, and Brazil was excellent, but that did not prevent the poorly designed aforementioned parts from failing.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-05-2012 12:25 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      The a4 cars were unreliable because of parts not designed for sufficient reliability and durability (window regulator clips, mass airflow sensors, brake lamp switches, hazard switches, coolant temperature sensors, glow plugs, coil packs, door latches, etc.), not because the parts were improperly assembled. Assembly quality for the a4 cars made in Mexico, Germany, and Brazil was excellent, but that did not prevent the poorly designed aforementioned parts from failing.

Yup, that didn't have much to do with Volskwagen, as same parts used in BMW, Volvo, Opel and Mercedes around that time failed just as often.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-05-2012 12:36 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      So umm...yeah. Make some lemonade.
      I've got a pocket full of pretty green -I'm gonna put it in the fruit machine -
      I'm gonna put it in the juke box -It's gonna play all the records in the hit parade

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

12. Senior Member
      10-05-2012 02:34 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Yup, that didn't have much to do with Volskwagen, as same parts used in BMW, Volvo, Opel and Mercedes around that time failed just as often.
      What are you trying to say?

The unreliable parts do have plenty to do with VW, since they were designed to VW's specs (regardless of whether similar parts failed in other cars). But it was the part unreliability, not the assembly quality in Mexico, Germany, or Brazil, that caused the unreliability.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-05-2012 04:19 AM #48
      I didn't think the US consumed enough Golfs to justify local production.
      No, but as was mentioned above, they then can sell the car also in Mexico and in Brazil (and in Canada, the Caribbean, and what not) - jointly a sizable market. And selling them in low-wage countries is possible because assembly cost for the MQB is down, and eventually the Beetle, Jetta, and JSW will also be fully on the MQB - one platform for one plant, with lots of parts sharing between four cars.

Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      No, but you could make them cheaply, sell them profitably in the US, and then export the rest to the EU and make a killing.
      Not going to happen if the union in Wolfsburg and Zwickau have anything to say about that. And they do.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

10-05-2012 04:38 AM #49
      If being built in Mexico means a cheaper sticker price then I'm all for it. Also they better not dumb it down like the Jetta.

VW could push the dumbed down Jetta to the masses, let them have it. But leave the Golf alone.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      10-05-2012 05:01 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by firstorbit84 View Post
      My mk4 golf TDI was made in Mexico, and my mkv Wolfsburg Jetta was made in Mexico, and my fox was made in Brazil. No big deal really. The only VW I've owned that was made in Germany was my Corrado, and guess which one was the least reliable
      I don't think the MkIV Golf was ever built in Mexico? I thought the early ones were built in Germany and the later ones were from Brazil?

I honestly don't think it matters where the car was assembled... All the problems we've ever had with our VWs (2 Mexican, 2 Pennsylvanian, 5 German and 1 Slovakian) have dealt with ****ty parts, not the assembly.

Window regulators, lower control arms, coil packs, faulty AC compressors, etc. don't care what country they were bolted onto the car in...

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      10-05-2012 08:42 AM #51
      Needed a couple things repaired on my Jetta over the years, but nothing that screamed poor assembly quality, just bad parts spec. Who uses a brittle thin plastic tube for the windshield washers anyway?

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      10-05-2012 08:55 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by firstorbit84 View Post
      My mk4 golf TDI was made in Mexico, and my mkv Wolfsburg Jetta was made in Mexico, and my fox was made in Brazil. No big deal really. The only VW I've owned that was made in Germany was my Corrado, and guess which one was the least reliable
      I had a similar experience. My only vw from germany (b6 passat) was the worst of them all.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-05-2012 09:02 AM #53
      My MKV was made in Germany, and its a steaming pile.
      I welcome our new Mexican Overlords.
      Exactly. Where its built doesnt change whether or not its going to work any better. My Mexican MKV was better than my friends German MKV.

Another case of who gives a damn. Oh, and werent Golfs made in America in the 80s?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-05-2012 10:31 AM #54
      Honestly... it boils down to people. And mainly leadership, because leadership guides, manages, decides the core values/goals/cultures... be it a relationship with a supplier or the development process or the MFG & ASM process.

And with that in mind... the site of MFR can have an impact when compared to another site, BUT... but only because of HOW the leadership decides to commonize OR differentiate the sites... willingly or unwillingly. While national cultures may have some differentiation... in my experience... workers in general want to do a good job and saboteurs are a great minority/fraction. If a specific MFG/ASM site does have a statistically problematic quality history... it can be root caused to the leadership and what they chose to do different than say a place that has a better history.

Those that hold the reigns guide the results for the most part. And this is common sense as most would probably agree.

These threads often only focus around the superficial issues/causes and not the underlying ones. That's why they can become so heated. It's like politics. Most politicians (and media, because their focus is ad revenue) focus the attention on what is right in front of the voter in order to drive emotion, because IMHO... emotion often times trump intellect in voter decision making.
      Last edited by uncleho; 10-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-05-2012 10:43 AM #55
      VW's decision (or any other profit-oriented company for that matter) is obviously financial... as it should be for them.

Given we believe people are the same the world over (in terms of having pride in their work and just wanting to do somethng well in order to make a good living), if VW (or any other) cannot mimic a good operation across the world... then clearly they are not doing it right.

Not doing it right can be everything from selecting bad leaders to head new facility to trying to penny-pinch in an emerging market, because they want to squeeze that market's perceived advantages of every once of profit possible... all the while ignoring how that can drive the workforce to not be able to achieve what their 'proven' processes are capable of.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Golf R32
      10-05-2012 10:59 AM #56
      I bought my R32 because it was built in Germany. If I wanted to buy a car built in Mexico, I'll go buy a Ford.
      You'll UM | You'll Performance Leds

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-05-2012 11:01 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by whitekryptonite View Post
      I bought my R32 because it was built in Germany. If I wanted to buy a car built in Mexico, I'll go buy a Ford that was made in Mexico and not Germany or USA or Brazil or China.
      FIFY

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-05-2012 11:02 AM #58
      I bought my R32 because it was built in Germany. If I wanted to buy a car built in Mexico, I'll go buy a Ford.
      ... EuroTrash exceptionalism at it's very best

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      10-05-2012 11:06 AM #59

I thought the 4motion equipped Golf platform cars were built in Slovakia??

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-05-2012 11:09 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Parts were, yes ... I think that numbnut is just going off of his WVW VIN-coding, in which case my Civic is 100% US made, baby! 1HG FTW!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      10-05-2012 11:14 AM #61
      Parts were, yes ... I think that numbnut is just going off of his WVW VIN-coding, in which case my Civic is 100% US made, baby! 1HG FTW!
      Quick research:

MkIV R32= D in 11th position - Bratislava, Slovakia
      MkV R32= W in 11th position - Wolfsburg, Germany

I hope he has a MkV...

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-05-2012 11:16 AM #62
      Bwahahahaha, Connecticut...

If youre looking at Golfs, then youre talking Focus and that is made in Indiana....

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit, 8 Civic
      10-05-2012 11:28 AM #63
      Meanwhile, everyone is typing on their Chinese keybords using their Chinese mice and checking messages on their chinese made phones to find out what's for dinner which is being cooked with chinese appliances that are being put on chinese plates using chinese made utensiles being held up by chinese made tables and chairs and in the background, music is playing from a chinese made stereo and then turning it off using a chinese made remote then walking to the washroom and brushing their teeth with a chinese made toothbrush and snuggling in bed in their chinese made comforters.

...and then there are rich people.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Golf R32
      10-05-2012 11:32 AM #64
      ... EuroTrash exceptionalism at it's very best
      Commi trash actually. I'm Russian.

Quick research:

MkIV R32= D in 11th position - Bratislava, Slovakia
      MkV R32= W in 11th position - Wolfsburg, Germany

I hope he has a MkV...
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Bwahahahaha, Connecticut...

If youre looking at Golfs, then youre talking Focus and that is made in Indiana....
      Yes I have an MKV R32. Sad that it is a DSG, but nonetheless a great car.( Which was fully built in Germany)

What's wrong with Connecticut?
      Last edited by whitekryptonite; 10-05-2012 at 11:34 AM.
      You'll UM | You'll Performance Leds

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-05-2012 11:33 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      That tells me that the mothership needs to get its **** together regarding supplier control, process quality, and component QC, not that the plant that takes the parts suppliers build and assembles them into a car.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

31. 10-05-2012 11:38 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by GruuvenNorth View Post
      Meanwhile, everyone is typing on their Chinese keybords using their Chinese mice and checking messages on their chinese made phones to find out what's for dinner which is being cooked with chinese appliances that are being put on chinese plates using chinese made utensiles being held up by chinese made tables and chairs and in the background, music is playing from a chinese made stereo and then turning it off using a chinese made remote then walking to the washroom and brushing their teeth with a chinese made toothbrush and snuggling in bed in their chinese made comforters.

...and then there are rich people.
      Except if my phone mouse or computer fails after a few years (which it usually does if I am lucky) I just throw them in the garbage and get a new one.

A bit more of an issue on a a vehicle that costs 1000x more.

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit, 8 Civic
      10-05-2012 11:44 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      Except if my phone mouse or computer fails after a few years (which it usually does if I am lucky) I just throw them in the garbage and get a new one.

A bit more of an issue on a a vehicle that costs 1000x more.
      Never seemed to have been an issue when people were spending thousands on the garbage that used to come out of Korea...

Mexico and Brasil have been building VW's for over 20 years. What difference does it make that a mexican put it together? I'm sure the Mexican worker will do just as good a job.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      10-05-2012 11:48 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by GruuvenNorth View Post
      I'm sure the Mexican worker will do just as good a job.
      I fail to understand how a blue collar "German" working in Wolfsburg is any different than a Mexican working in Puebla?

Hell, the German in Wolfsburg is probably Polish, Turkish, or Portugese... You know, the migrant workers of Europe.

Vehicles
      2005 GTI 1.8T
      10-05-2012 11:51 AM #69
      My Mk4 GTI from Brazil has had no reliability issues. I've had exactly one broken pcv hose and no other issues.

Quality control systems for the production lines should be very similar from plant to plant for the same vehicle. So the controls in Germany should be mirrored in Mexico, Brazil, etc. Most Mk4 issues do come from supplier parts and not from build quality issues. Working as a Quality Engineer, a large part of the PPAP process is confirming your controls and validating your production against the manufacturer's engineering standards. Assuming VW has done its due diligence and verified everything at the plant in Mexico, the cars rolling out of there should be no different than the ones coming from Germany.
      A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned. -Shepherd Book "Firefly"

10-05-2012 01:41 PM #70
      I believe all Jettas globally are assembled in Puebla? The listings I've seen show that it's made in Puebla, China, and India (as a Skoda). But I also read something else that said it was assembled as a CKD (completely knockdown kit) in everywhere but Puebla. If that's the case they are already building cars in Mexico and sending them to Europe.

Also, I think the Jetta Sportwagen/Golf Wagon are made exclusively in Puebla.
      Last edited by ajd187; 10-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by weaponized kitten View Post
      It's because soccer mom's prefer batteries in their little SUV's, it reminds them of their dildo's and so they connect with them on an emotional level.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast