Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Upgrade question

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf GL
      10-04-2012 04:25 PM #1
      I have a friend that is scrapping a '98 Jetta and I think I'm going to snag a few parts off it before it goes. As much as I'd like to I dont' have the time to get the motor and transmission, but I am going to take off the parts to convert to a serpentine belt. What size is that crank bolt and is it 12-point or something special? But I'm wondering about some other parts and what I should be interested in getting....

My car is a 1990 GL, simple 8V with auto transmission. I'm wondering, how hard it is to remove the rear swing arm? The '98 has disc brakes and I thought I read that the MK3 rear arm is wider. Does anyone have any detailed information on this?

It would be cool if I could grab the dash too, but agian time is not on my side so that won't be happening. Will the steering wheel fit my '90?

Are there any other things I should be getting? Are there any parts anyone else is interested in (assuming that you can pick them up this weekend)?

2. 10-04-2012 08:03 PM #2
      Pick them up from where?

I've heard you can pull the swing arm as well. I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf Diesel, 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
      10-04-2012 10:40 PM #3
      All your questions are answered in the FAq. Junkyard tuning I think the link is called. There are others as well.

Sent from my DROID X2
      I have various MKII and MKI parts. Mostly Diesels and some Gasser stuff.
      www.facebook.com/blackdogjunkyard <---------Here for pictures. PM me for More Info.

Blackdog Junkyard

Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      10-04-2012 11:00 PM #4
      Rear beam is wider, but not by much. 1/2" er so per side if I am remembering correctly.

They are not so bad to pull and not so much fun to instal, but they will go in. Bushings on the other hand, have fun.

Watch the rear calipers. They have a horrible habit of siezing. The Mark IV aluminum caliper upgrade is popular for a reason besides the cool factor.

There really isn't a lot of difference with the rear calipers and the 200 mm drum set up so long as the proportioning valve is working and adjusted correctly.

If I had an 8 valve auto, the rear beam and the dash are the last things I would be looking at. If time was the limiting factor and the car was getting junked any how , pull the nose, pull the struts, unbolt the sub frame and slide the carcass back off the power train on a dolly. Pull the ECU and wiring and the solution to your autotragic 8 valve in on the ground in front of you.

Easier if you have a lift. Get everything loose and break the bolt with the car up. Lower the car placing the sub frame on a dolly with some old tires a s supports/cushions, remove the fasteners and bolts disconnting the entire power train and suspension from the car. lift the car off the power train. roll the dolly with the power train out of the way. roll a big dolly under the car and lower the car onto it.
      I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.