Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 139

    Thread: Hate rolling up next to a pretty cool car....

    1. 10-05-2012 11:54 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by 612Scag View Post
      Nothing personal against the owners, themselves, but I lack respect for people who drive great cars and don't take care of them.
      Why? It usually means they have more important things to do in life than become OCD with their transportation device, yet still displayed a modicum of good taste when selecting it. It also probably means they have the financial resources to not have had to have spent 75% of their income on their ride, and therefore feel the need to treat it as the only thing that matters.

      That being said I'm not onboard with general dirtiness, because that trait probably permeates their whole life.

    2. Awaiting Email Confirmation
      Join Date
      Nov 4th, 2008
      Location
      He'll lick your balls
      Posts
      447
      Vehicles
      04' R32, 81' Caddy
      10-05-2012 11:58 AM #72
      There's plenty of people around here that grind my gears (Portland, OR)
      A guy with a mk5 R32 on some glossy black Les Schwab wheels with his smash mouth hair cut always blasting some emo screamo crap and going WOT at every stop light/sign in town.

      Another is a woman with a newer blue V70R who I've seen hit curbs around corners, and docks it like a boat onto curbs when pulling into parking spaces. Wheels and bumper are trashed.

      And to top it off, I had a friend who picked up a 2006(?) Mercedes C class a couple years ago. When I had asked him how often checked his oil, he replied with "i just wait for the light to come on".

    3. Member McBanagon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2010
      Location
      Northern part of the Virginia
      Posts
      9,636
      Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-05-2012 11:59 AM #73
      That's almost as bad as rolling a pretty cool car. I hate that too.


    4. Member FACTORYBOOST's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2011
      Location
      The Fort
      Posts
      1,567
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      10-05-2012 12:12 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      That's almost as bad as rolling a pretty cool car. I hate that too.

      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

    5. Member nicoli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2003
      Location
      Pickup Ville, Tx.
      Posts
      2,729
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI Drivers Ed Edition, black/dust, non-manly DSG, 2009 Honda Element EX. blue w/ bird ****
      10-05-2012 12:30 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by phofpower View Post
      Why? It usually means they have more important things to do in life than become OCD with their transportation device, yet still displayed a modicum of good taste when selecting it. It also probably means they have the financial resources to not have had to have spent 75% of their income on their ride, and therefore feel the need to treat it as the only thing that matters.

      That being said I'm not onboard with general dirtiness, because that trait probably permeates their whole life.

      Well, there is a difference between someone who is OCD and treats their "transportation device" as a priceless piece of art, while neglecting other important things in their life and someone who simply takes general care of his/her nice vehicle. I'm a busy person, and can still find time to wash and clean my car myself, but also realize it is just a car and meant to be driven, thus likely to sustain some wear and tear over time.

      There's also a difference between someone who maybe doesn't keep his/her vehicle very clean for whatever reason and someone who basically neglects every aspect of vehicle maintenance. I've certainly known many of the latter, who were also fortunate enough to have really nice cars basically handed to them. One example is a friend who was given a really nice 65' Mustang as his first car. He not only didn't take care of it, but didn't realize you're supposed to change the oil. Another friend was given a fully loaded Jetta 1.8T. Sure, that's nothing awesome like a W8 Passat, or something, but it was a nice car, which at the time I would have taken in a heartbeat. She ragged it out, soon had a makeshift closet/dirty clothes hamper in the back seat, and refused to use anything other than regular octane fuel, even though I'm sure her parents helped her pay for gas, too.

      My first car was a 92' Camry with 70K miles on the clock. I took good care of it, and felt fortunate to have such a "nice" car at 16. Obviously, I had many friends with MUCH nicer cars at the time, but I was never really envious of them. However, it was really annoying to see some of those friends with such nice cars not taking at least basic care of them.
      Last edited by nicoli; 10-05-2012 at 12:32 PM.

    6. 10-05-2012 12:33 PM #76
      a G35 will have the same power, lighter, bigger interior, better on gas, much more reliable.... There's just no point on having a W8 Passat unless you're a fanboy.

    7. Member Thrasher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 18th, 2003
      Location
      Maricopa, AZ
      Posts
      3,592
      Vehicles
      2011 128i Sport (Daily Bomber), 1987 Scirocco 16v
      10-05-2012 12:40 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by I_like_waffles View Post
      a G35 will have the same power, lighter, bigger interior, better on gas, much more reliable.... There's just no point on having a W8 Passat unless you're a fanboy.
      Totally, I know I sure love any and all vehicles that sound like a tin can full of rocks at the moment they hit 60k miles.
      Tornado Pinkneck - Team Care Bear
      I LOVE CORVETTE WHEELS ON VOLKSWAGENS
      Signature Victimized By Administration

    8. Member
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2009
      Posts
      290
      Vehicles
      DBP 08 .:R32
      10-05-2012 12:44 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by I_like_waffles View Post
      a G35 will have the same power, lighter, bigger interior, better on gas, much more reliable.... There's just no point on having a W8 Passat unless you're a fanboy.
      There is no point to having a G35 unless you are an Infiniti fanboy by that logic then, correct? You moron. Not everybody needs to drive what you think is the best car for them. Luckily, there are lots of automotive manufacturers out there, and lots of different models to choose from, so everybody can drive what ever the hell they want!

      G35s are rustbuckets anyways
      08 DBP .:R32
      92 Eagle Talon TSi

    9. Member nicoli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2003
      Location
      Pickup Ville, Tx.
      Posts
      2,729
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI Drivers Ed Edition, black/dust, non-manly DSG, 2009 Honda Element EX. blue w/ bird ****
      10-05-2012 12:56 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by I_like_waffles View Post
      a G35 will have the same power, lighter, bigger interior, better on gas, much more reliable.... There's just no point on having a W8 Passat unless you're a fanboy.

      So now a fanboy is someone who might prefer the look, style, feel etc. of something from one brand over another or does this application of the term only work when it's someone favoring a VW?

      Since we're talking a lot about Passat W8s in here, Ill say this: I thought it was a neat, appealing package for its day. I've heard some with aftermarket exhaust which make a pretty nice sound, too. There was something just funky and neat about the general concept. Obviously, in retrospect it was too much complexity and $$$ for a car in that segment (midsize sub-premium). Furthermore, they have clearly proven to be high maintenance for many owners. I'd say it's a vehicle for someone with curious tastes who gets enough enjoyment out of it to deal with its flaws. I know that's crazy, even fanboyism to some -- maybe even myself included, but there are people really into a lot of things which leave me scratching my head wondering why... To each their own, I guess.

    10. Member audiphile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2001
      Location
      Paris
      Posts
      11,212
      Vehicles
      GTI | CX9
      10-05-2012 12:58 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      Did you seen any grammar schools?
      dasjettakartell - immortalized on the wall, forgotten on the floor

      #HOTTESTCHICKINTHAGAME

    11. Member Nubbin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2007
      Location
      Holmdel, NJ
      Posts
      3,824
      Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      10-05-2012 02:01 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by imagine29028 View Post
      and it's a soccer mom, or some guy who you can tell just doesn't appreciate what they have.


      Rolled up on a W8 Passat today, and while not an awesome car...still unique and different...


      Woman...on her phone...inside looked like it had trash and stuff everywhere. Probably doesn't even know what a V8 is...much less a W8.
      umad?
      Free 1SICKLEX

    12. Member Yak Meat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2011
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      3,695
      Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      10-05-2012 02:04 PM #82
      way down to h2oi i rolled by a 2011 Porsche 911 GTS with a pair of jersey shore wannabees in it... sooooo disappointed.
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

    13. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      40,414
      10-05-2012 02:14 PM #83
      "Oil change? That will be $4500."

      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    14. Member thebanker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2005
      Location
      Aliso Viejo, CA
      Posts
      1,842
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-05-2012 02:25 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by personman View Post
      This gif made me laugh, haven't seen it before.
      - mikey

      "It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

    15. 10-05-2012 02:30 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by nicoli View Post
      Well, there is a difference between someone who is OCD and treats their "transportation device" as a priceless piece of art, while neglecting other important things in their life and someone who simply takes general care of his/her nice vehicle. I'm a busy person, and can still find time to wash and clean my car myself, but also realize it is just a car and meant to be driven, thus likely to sustain some wear and tear over time.

      There's also a difference between someone who maybe doesn't keep his/her vehicle very clean for whatever reason and someone who basically neglects every aspect of vehicle maintenance. I've certainly known many of the latter, who were also fortunate enough to have really nice cars basically handed to them. One example is a friend who was given a really nice 65' Mustang as his first car. He not only didn't take care of it, but didn't realize you're supposed to change the oil. Another friend was given a fully loaded Jetta 1.8T. Sure, that's nothing awesome like a W8 Passat, or something, but it was a nice car, which at the time I would have taken in a heartbeat. She ragged it out, soon had a makeshift closet/dirty clothes hamper in the back seat, and refused to use anything other than regular octane fuel, even though I'm sure her parents helped her pay for gas, too.

      My first car was a 92' Camry with 70K miles on the clock. I took good care of it, and felt fortunate to have such a "nice" car at 16. Obviously, I had many friends with MUCH nicer cars at the time, but I was never really envious of them. However, it was really annoying to see some of those friends with such nice cars not taking at least basic care of them.
      I get it, I try to keep my cars maintained according to schedule, cleaned once or twice a month, usually spending more than I should on initial purchase, but keeping them for a long time. In this regard I would say I spend more time than average on my cars but not as much time as I once did, but I like cars always have since I was five years old.

      My point is I don't fault those who treat their expensive / enthusiast vehicle as an appliance. It just means they are not really into cars but purchased it because they thought it was nice. Once they own it they treat it as all the other nice things they most likely have around their home, and when it gets a few years old they replace it with a new one.

      The reality is these people have their priorities straight and most likely are focused on making real money rather than the measly sum that your or my preventative maintenance and upkeep saved at trade in.

    16. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      15,020
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-05-2012 02:31 PM #86
      Wait. So you can tell that a guy doesn't appreciate his car just by looking at him driving it? WTF?

    17. Member AeroWagon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      1,160
      10-05-2012 02:39 PM #87
      I think the point he is making is why do people buy top of the line/rare vehicles if they dont care and only need them to get from point a to b, AND not take care of them on
      top of that. They could have just bought a base model.

      I am NOT VW fan, but the anyone who says the W8 Passat isnt a neat car is just full of themselves.
      I like cars.

    18. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      15,020
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-05-2012 02:48 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by AeroWagon View Post
      I think the point he is making is why do people buy top of the line/rare vehicles if they dont care and only need them to get from point a to b, AND not take care of them on
      top of that. They could have just bought a base model.

      I am NOT VW fan, but the anyone who says the W8 Passat isnt a neat car is just full of themselves.
      Because money/status?

      Not hard to figure out. Why do people buy a Rolex when a timex keeps the time?

    19. Member Rockmonky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2003
      Location
      Seattle, wa
      Posts
      2,024
      Vehicles
      1979 Rabbit 4-door
      10-05-2012 02:48 PM #89
      if it weren't for the repair bills, insurance costs, and fuel consumption;

      i would be all over the w8.

      feels like a proper passat. like every other one should have felt like.. although heavy, quite quick enough, and amazing in the elements

    20. Member thebanker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2005
      Location
      Aliso Viejo, CA
      Posts
      1,842
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-05-2012 02:50 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by phofpower View Post
      The reality is these people have their priorities straight
      You can leave now, the door is over there.
      - mikey

      "It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

    21. Member MatchStick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      6,321
      Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      10-05-2012 02:53 PM #91
      I hate rolling up to little douchebags in their super hot GTI who then proceed to drive like a dipsh!t around me when they're not worth the gas.

      you win!

    22. 10-05-2012 02:58 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by AeroWagon View Post
      I think the point he is making is why do people buy top of the line/rare vehicles if they dont care and only need them to get from point a to b, AND not take care of them on
      top of that. They could have just bought a base model.

      I am NOT VW fan, but the anyone who says the W8 Passat isnt a neat car is just full of themselves.
      Because usually top of the line models are nicer? The look nicer, feel nicer, sound nicer, etc.

      Why buy a Viking stove when you don't cook and order takeout every night?

    23. Member thebanker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2005
      Location
      Aliso Viejo, CA
      Posts
      1,842
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-05-2012 03:00 PM #93
      What about that kid that was selling his MKV his dad bought him for 40k?! Huh!?!?

      WHAT ABOUT HIM!!?!!?!!?!?
      - mikey

      "It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

    24. Member Icantdrive65's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      1,921
      Vehicles
      2001 Passat, 1994 Canepa Suburban, 2006 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4
      10-05-2012 03:05 PM #94
      I have nothing to add to this thread but this:

    25. Member Pool Runner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2009
      Location
      Nor Cal
      Posts
      3,350
      Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      10-05-2012 03:55 PM #95
      I read the thread title as different than everyone else (I think) I was thinking of it as, I hate when I roll up like yesterday I'm in my WRX and pulled up next to a new Shelby. I glanced over to give the guy a and all I got is the douche bag, stink eye.

      I always like to believe everyone driving an enthusiast car, is actually an enthusiast.


      But as far as the first page of this thread goes, call me a car NERD if you will. As much as I hate that gen Passat, I find the W8 Passat something pretty cool. Mostly because I am suprised to see one still working Lol but I also find the exhaust note extremely awesome and unique. I thought I read something expensive breaks on these that costs more than the car is worth to fix, is it the timing chain or ????

    26. Member 1Point8TDan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 4th, 2003
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      8,308
      Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      10-05-2012 04:14 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
      I read the thread title as different than everyone else (I think) I was thinking of it as, I hate when I roll up like yesterday I'm in my WRX and pulled up next to a new Shelby. I glanced over to give the guy a and all I got is the douche bag, stink eye.

      I always like to believe everyone driving an enthusiast car, is actually an enthusiast.
      You are a just a boy racer and you don't support the USofA economy to the Mustang owner.

      I think the biggest case of "competition" or whatever you want to call it comes between truck drivers. A Ram owner thinks his truck is better than the GM/Ford and heaven forbid a truck that is not domestic.

    27. Geriatric Member AKADriver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 20th, 2001
      Location
      Unreal VA
      Posts
      40,944
      Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-05-2012 04:22 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by phofpower View Post
      The reality is these people have their priorities straight and most likely are focused on making real money rather than the measly sum that your or my preventative maintenance and upkeep saved at trade in.
      If they're really so laser-focused on making big money (which is as huge an assumption as just saying they're lazy), then they can afford to pay mechanics and detailers, if their time is that effing valuable.

      If you're really rich and don't give a crap about looking rich and you *really* have your priorities straight, then you emulate Warren Buffett, live in a small house and drive a car with minimal upkeep. You don't get a nice car and let it rot just because you can.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

    28. Member thebanker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2005
      Location
      Aliso Viejo, CA
      Posts
      1,842
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-05-2012 04:24 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
      I glanced over to give the guy a and all I got is the douche bag, stink eye.

      I always like to believe everyone driving an enthusiast car, is actually an enthusiast.
      I've done the same thing. Pulled up alongside a guy in a clone of my car. I flashed him a peace sign and he looked at me like I told his mother to bend over.

      At least acknowledge that we're in the same, somewhat uncommon car!! Sheesh!
      - mikey

      "It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

    29. Member nicoli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2003
      Location
      Pickup Ville, Tx.
      Posts
      2,729
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI Drivers Ed Edition, black/dust, non-manly DSG, 2009 Honda Element EX. blue w/ bird ****
      10-05-2012 04:45 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
      I've done the same thing. Pulled up alongside a guy in a clone of my car. I flashed him a peace sign and he looked at me like I told his mother to bend over.

      At least acknowledge that we're in the same, somewhat uncommon car!! Sheesh!
      Maybe he thought you were his doppelgänger? That can be very bad, you know.

    30. Member redshift's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2002
      Location
      Outside the delivery area
      Posts
      11,294
      Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '07 MX-5, '03 Silverado, coupla tractors
      10-05-2012 05:15 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by phofpower View Post

      Why buy a Viking stove when you don't cook and order takeout every night?

      Why buy a Sig Sauer when a Hi Point kills just as dead? Why buy Grey Goose when Smirnoff gets you just as drunk?

      Confession: One time, I was too lazy after getting home from work and I left my coffee mug in the Miata. I'll turn it in ASAP.

      This is why I don't look at other people while I'm driving.
      1000101010101...001011001...2

    31. Member thebanker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2005
      Location
      Aliso Viejo, CA
      Posts
      1,842
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-05-2012 05:18 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Confession: One time, I was too lazy after getting home from work and I left my coffee mug in the Miata.
      Clearly your priorities were straight and you were focused on making tons of money.
      - mikey

      "It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

    32. Member redshift's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2002
      Location
      Outside the delivery area
      Posts
      11,294
      Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '07 MX-5, '03 Silverado, coupla tractors
      10-05-2012 05:22 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
      Clearly your priorities were straight and you were focused on making tons of money.
      That is true.
      1000101010101...001011001...2

    33. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      powell's books
      Posts
      35,592
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      10-05-2012 05:54 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      There is something to be said about the way a big heavy German luxury car drives at speed.

      Lightweight is fine for sports cars on a backroad, but it isn't the same on the freeway.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 14th, 2001
      Location
      LB NY
      Posts
      15,383
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 04 BMW 330ci
      10-05-2012 05:56 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
      Totally, I know I sure love any and all vehicles that sound like a tin can full of rocks at the moment they hit 60k miles.
      So that's why you own VWs?

    35. Member Zekkal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2012
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      430
      Vehicles
      08 VW GTI, 01 Hyundai Tiburon
      10-05-2012 07:33 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by FACTORYBOOST View Post
      Instagram: Zekkal

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •