Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 141 to 175 of 199

    Thread: Will I Ever Be Able To Go Back To a "Normal" Naturally Aspirated Engine?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,239
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-05-2012 02:00 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb View Post
      That "woosh" sensation can be cured with a cammed V8. Something with a nice LSx and a big cam with some advance built into it and you will almost think you are driving a turbo car...and have more torque everywhere. Instant zero lag always there power.
      This.

      I put a cam in My HD and it drive like stock now until it hits about 4k rpm and then shoots forward like it's turbo charged.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2011
      Location
      Bal'mer
      Posts
      166
      Vehicles
      2000 GTI VR6
      10-05-2012 02:00 PM #142
      on topic:

      i've been all over the place when it comes to cars, i change them more often than some change significant others. from a turbo 944, to a civic with 1.5L of fury. and i've liked them for different reasons. i've found it easy to go back and forth, since i look for things other than sheer power. i love my mk4 with 1.8t but it doesn't feel anywhere as nimble as my eg civic. it pushes me in the seat nicely, but below 3k its like a wounded animal.

      so i say it's possible, but it more depends on what YOU want out of a car, and where and how you drive. for me, scooting around my city a turbo feels like a waste.

    3. Member Pf3il's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2004
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      7,607
      Vehicles
      2006 V50 T5 AWD
      10-05-2012 02:02 PM #143
      so much in this thread.

      the whole "slow car fast" thing is about driving at the limits of your vehicle. the limits of a slow car are much easier and safer to reach on public roads than the limits of a fast car.

      i never find myself wishing the miata had more power.

    4. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,804
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-05-2012 02:03 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      I think the "asshat" is the guy who runs 100 octane in a daily driver while not at the track. Are you prepping for RaceWars?

      Why does running 100 octane every now and then qualify you as an asshat?

    5. Member SchnellFowVay's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 20th, 2001
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      10,973
      Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-05-2012 02:04 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Pf3il View Post
      i never find myself wishing the miata had more power.
      I can appreciate the Miata as much as the next Car Lounge nerd. But never ? Not once?
      I TCL.

    6. Member SchnellFowVay's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 20th, 2001
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      10,973
      Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-05-2012 02:07 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      even the 128i over the 335i.
      This I have to take issue with. I own both cars, and the 128i has huge drawbacks compared to the 135i. In addition to the power difference, the 135i has better 6-piston breaks, a much better transmission and shift linkage, a superior hydrolic steering system, and a number of other improvements.

      *edit - I just noticed you said 335i and not 135i. I think my comment still applies, though.
      I TCL.

    7. Member Yak Meat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2011
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      3,808
      Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      10-05-2012 02:08 PM #147
      a 135i is a quick car... you wont find much to match it especially NA and especially under 50k.

      Sorry sir, you may find urself into a SC'd car as opposed to a NA or Turboed car if you miss that pull...

      SCs dont need to build boost like a turbo - no lag, more linear power, similar to NA. It accentuates the curve as opposed to redefining it with a turbo.
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

    8. 10-05-2012 02:10 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Why does running 100 octane every now and then qualify you as an asshat?
      Every now and then is one thing. He is saying that he runs (or used to run) 100 octane or the aforementioned E85 blend all the time.
      Last edited by NightTrain EX; 10-05-2012 at 02:13 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

    9. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      871
      Vehicles
      E90 328i ZSP
      10-05-2012 02:11 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      This I have to take issue with. I own both cars, and the 128i has huge drawbacks compared to the 135i. In addition to the power difference, the 135i has better 6-piston breaks, a much better transmission and shift linkage, a superior hydrolic steering system, and a number of other improvements.

      *edit - I just noticed you said 335i and not 135i. I think my comment still applies, though.
      Its lighter, stops shorter and handles better.

    10. Member NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2002
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      3,969
      Vehicles
      E36
      10-05-2012 02:14 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I see you just finished watching the "Fast and Furious". You probably have the "Gold" license in GT5, what a badass.
      I know you think you're being funny, but can't help to feel that you're actually describing yourself.
      E36 · VEMS · TUNING
      Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

    11. Member SchnellFowVay's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 20th, 2001
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      10,973
      Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-05-2012 02:14 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Its lighter, stops shorter and handles better.
      lighter yes, but the other two are questionable.

      I understand what you are saying, and all, but I was just pointing out that the extra ~100 pounds of the 135i gives all kinds of benefits in addition to the added power.
      I TCL.

    12. Banned justanotherusername's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2007
      Location
      Palm Beach, FL
      Posts
      25,983
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-05-2012 02:14 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I consider myself a car enthusiast and "faster" doesn't have to mean straight line acceleration. An automatic V6 Camry and V6 Accord are faster than a 6 speed 128i Sport. Like I said before, from a pure driving enjoyment perspective, I would take a E36 M3 or the S2000 or even the 128i over the 335i.
      You guys are all intruducing multiple variables into the equation other than fast or slow.

      You have two Miatas in the garage. They both have good quality sport tires on them. One is bone stock, and the other has been modified to make an additional 50Hp. Which one are you going to take to Tail of the Dragon?

      The answer is simple. The faster one.

    13. Member Pf3il's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2004
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      7,607
      Vehicles
      2006 V50 T5 AWD
      10-05-2012 02:17 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      I can appreciate the Miata as much as the next Car Lounge nerd. But never ? Not once?
      not once, ever. seriously. i prefer it to my mom's 180hp TT.

    14. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      871
      Vehicles
      E90 328i ZSP
      10-05-2012 02:19 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      lighter yes, but the other two are questionable.

      I understand what you are saying, and all, but I was just pointing out that the extra ~100 pounds of the 135i gives all kinds of benefits in addition to the added power.
      I understand, I was comparing the 128i to 335i not 135i. This is a more direct comparison N54 vs N52 3 series and kind of reinforces to what I was trying to say:

      "It's on twisty two-lane roads that the sport-packaged 328i really comes into its own. The car is simply a peerless handler among compact sport sedans, from its ultra-communicative and perfectly weighted steering to its supremely balanced and unruffled character in tight corners. Weighing in at 3,424 pounds — nearly 200 pounds lighter than a comparably equipped 335i — our 328i felt, if anything, a smidge more tossable than its turbocharged counterpart. At the track, the 328i snaked through the slalom cones at 68.5 mph, a few tenths quicker than a 335i sedan we tested recently, and braked from 60 mph to zero in 110 feet, 6 feet shorter than that 335i's best stop."

      http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/2008/road-test.html

    15. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      871
      Vehicles
      E90 328i ZSP
      10-05-2012 02:20 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      You guys are all intruducing multiple variables into the equation other than fast or slow.

      You have two Miatas in the garage. They both have good quality sport tires on them. One is bone stock, and the other has been modified to make an additional 50Hp. Which one are you going to take to Tail of the Dragon?

      The answer is simple. The faster one.
      Well, yes lol if you put it that way.

    16. 10-05-2012 02:21 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      Every now and then is one thing. He is saying that he runs (or used to run) 100 octane or the aforementioned E85 blend all the time.
      And what's wrong with that? Higher octane allows more timing advance through out the entire powerband, so you can make use of the extra power everywhere. It's not like you need to be at WOT or in ZOMGRACEKOR mode to use it. When I was running an E20 blend in my MS3, I was able to advance the timing in the bottom end and I saw better gas mileage than on 91 and there was a noticeable increase in low end torque, which made driving around town out of boost a little better.

    17. Member NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2002
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      3,969
      Vehicles
      E36
      10-05-2012 02:28 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Well, yes lol if you put it that way.
      Wow it took 5 pages for you to understand that?
      E36 · VEMS · TUNING
      Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 27th, 2004
      Posts
      688
      Vehicles
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      10-05-2012 02:29 PM #158
      I'd like to be able to make the transition, but I don't think it will be possible.

      Anything that I'd like to replace the LGT with is already probably going to have FI. Cars that do have somewhat equal performance NA in terms of acceleration cost way too much for me to afford.

      I'd love for my LGT to have the same power it does now to the wheels, but have it be produced by a GM V8 versus a 20G equipped 2.5L.

    19. 10-05-2012 02:38 PM #159
      Depends on the motor for me. Not a fan of 4 cyl turbo power bands, so I prefer a larger NA motor. Now, if said boosted motor is a 6 cylinder or larger, let's go!

      But all said, if the power levels are the same, I'll take the NA motor every time. If aftermarket modding is the case, I'd probably build a supercharged one before a turbo one.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

    20. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      871
      Vehicles
      E90 328i ZSP
      10-05-2012 02:44 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
      Wow it took 5 pages for you to understand that?
      Got back to GT5, this is a "real" world discussion.

    21. Member Shmi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2009
      Location
      Fairfax, VA
      Posts
      3,614
      Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      10-05-2012 02:46 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      You guys are all intruducing multiple variables into the equation other than fast or slow.

      You have two Miatas in the garage. They both have good quality sport tires on them. One is bone stock, and the other has been modified to make an additional 50Hp. Which one are you going to take to Tail of the Dragon?

      The answer is simple. The faster one.
      A 50hp spread is different from a larger spread though, obviously. If we're talking about those two cars, I'd pick the more powerful one. Now, if you asked me which I'd have more fun driving around back roads, a miata vs a 500HP RWD car, personally, I'd take the Miata, hands down.

      I DD an E46 M3. It's not insanely powerful, but it's pretty quick. When it was at the dealer getting worked on, my loaner was a Mini Clubman S. I actually thought it was a lot more fun on my commute, despite having half the power. When I went back to my M3 after two weeks, the immediate torque and power put a huge smile on my face, and it was awesome fun, but it was also very different. It was accessible and immediate. It has higher limits. And while I felt comfortable reaching the Mini's limits on back roads in my area, because those limits are much much lower, I don't feel comfortable doing so in the M3, because the limits are higher so that when I do reach them, I'm going a lot faster than in the Mini, where things happen more quickly and speeds get you into more trouble (legally and physically).

      So, while the Mini was more fun to beat around on back roads, I know the M3 would be more fun on a track. They're fun in different ways, in different places and situations. The M3 is more fun for me overall, but there were situations the Mini was more entertaining, IMO. I think a case can be made both ways. I would definitely not turn down a CTS-V or Ferrari or what have you, or pick a Mini Cooper over one, or over my M3. But to say more power is always more fun... I disagree there. There are varying degrees IMO.
      Last edited by Shmi; 10-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.

    22. Member SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,733
      10-05-2012 02:50 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Grow up and move on.
      Complain to the moderators more, creeper.

      Took the time to save photos, photoshop them into a meme, and then upload them to your B5 S4 dick-stroking website. Who's the one that needs help now?

    23. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,804
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-05-2012 02:54 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      Every now and then is one thing. He is saying that he runs (or used to run) 100 octane or the aforementioned E85 blend all the time.
      I still don't understand how running E85 or 100 octane constantly is a douchey thing to do. We're not talking about a stock 1.6 liter Civic or something, on a turbo car like his it makes a noticeable difference. I'd run it more often if the nearest 100 octane was less than 15 miles away, it's only about $2/gal more here.

    24. Member Shmi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2009
      Location
      Fairfax, VA
      Posts
      3,614
      Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      10-05-2012 02:54 PM #164
      Can't everyone just get along?!


      NVM, this is the internet. Carry on.

    25. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,804
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-05-2012 02:56 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      Complain to the moderators more, creeper.

      Took the time to save photos, photoshop them into a meme, and then upload them to your B5 S4 dick-stroking website. Who's the one that needs help now?
      I also PM'd you and asked if you wanted me to take it down. Do you remember your response?

    26. 10-05-2012 03:03 PM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      I still don't understand how running E85 or 100 octane constantly is a douchey thing to do. We're not talking about a stock 1.6 liter Civic or something, on a turbo car like his it makes a noticeable difference. I'd run it more often if the nearest 100 octane was less than 15 miles away, it's only about $2/gal more here.
      He called the guy an asshat for a stupid reason. I did so in turn.

      On another note. I'm proud of TCL for not mentioning the OPs lack of navigational capabilities. #progress
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

    27. Member Accidental L8 apex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2008
      Location
      Podunk, Ohio
      Posts
      3,584
      Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      10-05-2012 03:09 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      Complain to the moderators more, creeper.

      Took the time to save photos, photoshop them into a meme, and then upload them to your B5 S4 dick-stroking website. Who's the one that needs help now?
      So that's you looking all pimply-faced and 17 and you own the dual-charged 'stang. Kudos for having such a nice car mid-puberty.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

      Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

    28. Member SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,733
      10-05-2012 03:16 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      I also PM'd you and asked if you wanted me to take it down. Do you remember your response?
      Doesn't matter my response, you were still creepy enough to do it.

    29. Member SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,733
      10-05-2012 03:17 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      So that's you looking all pimply-faced and 17 and you own the dual-charged 'stang. Kudos for having such a nice car mid-puberty.
      I probably was about 17 in those pictures. Shomegrown likes 'em young.

    30. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,804
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-05-2012 03:38 PM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      Doesn't matter my response, you were still creepy enough to do it.
      So that's what this is about? It was for the FUUUUUUUU meme thread BTW, which had hundreds of participants.

      That was years ago - and you told me not to take it down when I asked. Get over it and move on. Act like an adult for once.

      The offer still stands, I'll delete it if you don't like it. I didn't do anything really, it's all your posts.

      I'm not going to stoop down to your level anymore, but god damn it kid, quit ruining threads with your childish BS. I'm done with your games, I'll just hit the report button instead of responding.

      Congratulations, in the 10 years I've been here, you're the only person to get that.

    31. Member SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,733
      10-05-2012 03:45 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      So that's what this is about? It was for the FUUUUUUUU meme thread BTW, which had hundreds of participants.

      That was years ago - and you told me not to take it down when I asked. Get over it and move on. Act like an adult for once.

      The offer still stands, I'll delete it if you don't like it. I didn't do anything really, it's all your posts.

      I'm not going to stoop down to your level anymore, but god damn it kid, quit ruining threads with your childish BS. I'm done with your games, I'll just hit the report button instead of responding.

      Congratulations, in the 10 years I've been here, you're the only person to get that.
      Post reported. Take it to PM.

    32. Member zhenya00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2003
      Location
      Ithaca, NY
      Posts
      6,699
      10-05-2012 03:52 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
      So tell me what point you're trying to make. Because driving slow cars fast isn't better then driving fast cars fast unless you suck at driving/car control
      I already made the point above

      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      Power makes up for so many mistakes that it is difficult to really know what you are doing wrong.
      Why do you think virtually every serious driving school in existence uses relatively mundane cars? I realize this is TCL where everyone is the best at everything they talk about, but in the real world we all have something to learn. Having a fast car makes it harder to do so. I was faster in my S4, but I'm a much better driver because of my slow car.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

    33. Member NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2002
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      3,969
      Vehicles
      E36
      10-05-2012 03:58 PM #173
      SVTDanny = djsheijkdfj ?

      now it all makes sense... LOL @ the meme...

      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      Why do you think virtually every serious driving school in existence uses relatively mundane cars? I realize this is TCL where everyone is the best at everything they talk about, but in the real world we all have something to learn. Having a fast car makes it harder to do so. I was faster in my S4, but I'm a much better driver because of my slow car.
      Oh wait, so you're saying people that don't know how to drive shouldn't be driving a fast car? I can agree to that.

      What I want to add to that is, driving a slow car fast/at or near it's limit is no less dangerous then driving a faster car at a much lower then it's limit.
      Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 10-05-2012 at 04:02 PM.
      E36 · VEMS · TUNING
      Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

    34. Member zhenya00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2003
      Location
      Ithaca, NY
      Posts
      6,699
      10-05-2012 04:16 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post

      Oh wait, so you're saying people that don't know how to drive shouldn't be driving a fast car? I can agree to that.
      What a typical TCL response.

      Would you care to post your credentials, Mr. Vettel?

      There is a huge difference between not knowing how to drive, and knowing whether it's the car that's the capable entity or the driver. Most people lean towards the former since it's much easier to buy performance than to earn it.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

    35. 10-05-2012 04:53 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      So that's what this is about? It was for the FUUUUUUUU meme thread BTW, which had hundreds of participants.

      That was years ago - and you told me not to take it down when I asked. Get over it and move on. Act like an adult for once.

      The offer still stands, I'll delete it if you don't like it. I didn't do anything really, it's all your posts.

      I'm not going to stoop down to your level anymore, but god damn it kid, quit ruining threads with your childish BS. I'm done with your games, I'll just hit the report button instead of responding.

      Congratulations, in the 10 years I've been here, you're the only person to get that.
      Last edited by NightTrain EX; 10-05-2012 at 05:06 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •