Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Will I Ever Be Able To Go Back To a "Normal" Naturally Aspirated Engine?

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal"
      10-05-2012 05:29 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      Why do you think virtually every serious driving school in existence uses relatively mundane cars? I realize this is TCL where everyone is the best at everything they talk about, but in the real world we all have something to learn. Having a fast car makes it harder to do so. I was faster in my S4, but I'm a much better driver because of my slow car.
      I got the "skills" in a "slow" car and then bought the fast car. Learned real quick the same skills that produced ear-to-ear grins in the slow car at near-sane speeds equate to "take it to the track" talks with one's self and stern self-reminders of being a father/provider of food/money/health insurance/etc..
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-05-2012 09:03 PM #177
      I honestly have to say that the size of the turbines on the N54 are very, very well matched for the engine. There is virtually no turbo lag that can spoil your experience on the street and on the track if you have your tuning sorted out.

When I am on the track and I row through the gears, full boost and torque are instantaneous if I romp on the gas pedal and are easily modulated if I go part throttle. Anything above 2500 rpms equates to no turbo lag and almost surgical precision.

The ONLY reason why I would even consider going back to a NA engine is if it is tuned, it has ITBs and an actual mechanical throttle cable.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device which exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

3. Senior Member justanotherusername's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-05-2012 10:09 PM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      Post reported. Take it to PM.
      Whining bitch! You started it, now take it like a man.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      10-05-2012 10:14 PM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      Whining bitch! You started it, now take it like a man.
      Since the recent name change, he seems to have gotten perpetually worse.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      u jus made bc 2 bitches are sweatin me.

Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 1995 Volkswagen Jetta
      10-05-2012 11:43 PM #180
      Christ, this was just awful.

On topic: My introduction to turbochargers was as a passenger in a modified 993 Turbo at the age of 13. I've been hooked ever since. For street use: turbocharging. For track use: Natural aspiration.
      Kegels - Team My Little Pony

Pearl Jam - Hartford 2010 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 2011 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 2011 | Rush - Bridgeport 2012 | Soundgarden - NYC 2013 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 2013 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 2013 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 2013

6. 10-06-2012 12:37 AM #181
      Have some kids. That, in my estimation will make your "transition" easier. My guess is you are young, without spawn. Propagation makes one forget about many things, including the transition from a FI to an NA ride.

How does one "fail" transitioning? Just curious!

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      My last car was a modified 2007 GTI putting out ~280hp. My current car is an N55 putting out ~400hp and ~500lbs of torque.

BUt more imortant than the power is the "rubberband" feel of the turbocharger. Sometimes I think I miss the smoothness of an N/A engine (such as when I almost bought an S2000 last month), but then I drive most N/A engines, and they simply do not feel "fast" at all. It feels like the car is actually stuck in mollases around 2,500-3,000 RPMS where a normal turbocharged car starts building serious boost.

Case in point: My wife's 128i 6-speed. The car goes 0-60 in about 6 seconds (fairly fast), but to me it feels legitimately slow. I am currently driving a loaner 328i M-Sport while my car is at the dealer, and even in sport mode with the gas floored, the car feels really, really slow.

I remember how much I used to love unwinding my cammed VR6 back in the day.

Has anyone here successfully transitioned from a high-power turbo car back to a more "sedate" naturally aspirated engine and been able to enjoy it again?

Vehicles
      997TT, 335i
      10-06-2012 01:43 AM #182
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Got back to GT5, this is a "real" world discussion.

Exactly, lets talk real world, not silly absolute number magazine tests. I've watched you bash the 335 repeatedly. In the real world, the 328 is a downright snore. I don't care that at the absolute limit it may handle or stop nearly imperceptibly better. I'll tell you one thing that will be quite perceptible however.... my tail lights disappearing into the horizon as you quote magazine numbers trying to make yourself feel better.

In the real world there's nothing like the loaner 328 while my car's getting an oil change to REALLY make me appreciate what the 335 has.
      -07 997.1 TT 6MT: Arctic Silver / Sea Blue. AWE exhaust, GIAC flash, H&R, BBS CH-R in widebody fitment.
      -09 E92 335i M-tech 6MT: JB4, Helix FMIC and E85 mix
      / Ordered: '15 F80 M3 6MT, Alpine White/ Sakhir orange, black 19s
      Past: 300 hp A4, 500 hp Evo, 430 hp 335, 520hp Z06, and a 750 hp GT-R

Vehicles
      '14 Jetta S 5MT, '12 Mustang GT 6MT
      10-06-2012 02:39 AM #183
      Who deleted my post calling the op faggy b/c it still stands okay

also pretty sure shromegrown is creepy as hell

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 S2000, 1997 Jetta GLX, 2004 Jetta GLI
      10-06-2012 04:54 PM #184
      my .02 on the topic

Went from a 348/356 wheel wrx to a stock s2000. I do miss the power occasionally but the s2k is an all around much more fun and rewarding car to drive, even in stock form.

I think once you get past the power hungry wanna beat the snot out of every car phase, you learn to enjoy more of what a car has to offer and what its full capabilities are. My wrx didn't do anything for me but get me into trouble and it wasn't ridiculously fast either. In the long run, its much more fun for me to drive a slower car on its edge than have to drive a faster car well within its limits.

Just for clarification and my geographical location, most of what I drive are pretty tight knit, twisty backroads 'n such.
      Last edited by 4wheelsoffury; 10-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Vehicles
      1997 Toyota Camry LE V6, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      10-06-2012 05:19 PM #185
      Boost makes Nubbin happy.
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-06-2012 05:40 PM #186
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Congratulations, in the 10 years I've been here, you're the only person to get that.
      LOL that's the same guy?

Thanks, I won't bother responding seriously next time he attacks me. What a tool!

12. Junior Member Topper Harley's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10' Impreza, 89' Raider, 81' Caddy
      10-06-2012 05:52 PM #187
      I used to own a stage 2+ s4 a few years ago. The power was intoxicatingly fun, but was also a money pit. Now I own an 04 R32, and IMO, it's waaaay more fun.

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 06:20 PM #188
      Quote Originally Posted by Topper Harley View Post
      I used to own a stage 2+ s4 a few years ago. The power was intoxicatingly fun, but was also a money pit. Now I own an 04 R32, and IMO, it's waaaay more fun.
      This whole thing we're debating here used to be a matter of common knowledge.

<--Just drove a GT500 and still support your point

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      10-06-2012 07:24 PM #189
      Come to think of it, the only turbo car I've ever driven is an 03 Passat 1.8T. Not exactly fast by any means but it was fun for a station wagon. I really dig the 16v cammed 2.0 I am driving behind now in the mk2 Jetta. I like that I can floor it from a standing start and all hell DOESNT break lose, as it did in my 02 Sentra SE-R. Torque steer in that car was brutal and the torque curve was very flat which was fun at first, but not very useable.

On the 16v there is a short "nothing much happening" phase to get up to about 2.5-3k RPM, but then it starts to take off and the torque just builds, and the building increases as it gets louder, the resonating drone switching over to a higher pitched revving as it nears the red line. Also really fun is just getting up to that 3k point in 2nd or 3rd gear, and just holding it there where it is still pretty quiet, for the right moment and when i push the pedal down getting instant acceleration and revs.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      10-06-2012 07:27 PM #190
      still getting 45mpg city? repost?
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      08 335i w/sport package, JB4, E85 and dual cone intakes
      10-06-2012 08:07 PM #191
      This had potential to be a good thread but ego's and stupidity got in the way as usual.

There are too many variables involved to place blanket statements on either side of the fence. If you do take sides, chances are you are just either young an inexperienced, or just closed minded.

To the OP, since you asked, I have extensive direct experience with a 335i and an S2000, and I drove the S2000 95% of the time when both were sitting in my driveway.

The 335i is obviously faster in a straight line, but it takes real world experience and more than just a simple thought of " oh I'll take the car with more power every time" attitude that is for simpletons. Drive the cars and you will see that all out power as the determining factor is for dummies. It's silly to think in such simple terms, back away from the internet.

Anyway, there are awesome engines on either side of the fence and one isn't necessarily "better" than the other. I guess with time comes seeing the big picture.

There are awesome and crappy engines on either side of the fence.

It is funny though hearing people clamor on about low end torque all the time, but after driving a Mazdaspeed 3 and a WRX, or a lot of other 4 cylinder turbocharged engines, I actually preferred the F20C in the S2000. Sure a torque surge is great down low, but running out of power at 6,000 is the trade off and it sucks. It's all a tradeoff for the most part.

And lol at the guy who said the S2000 is dog slow. If it is, any car with about 11 - 12 lbs per HP is slow, and cars with this power to weight trap about 100 MPH in the 1/4, which would put 99% of all cars driven on this forum "dog slow"...

ignorance is bliff, carry on.

EDIT: I will add that after a certain point, I don't agree that slower cars are more fun that faster ones all the time, it really depends. After about >16 lbs per HP I don't find the car can accelerate fast enough to keep me entertained.
      Last edited by unintended acceleration; 10-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 08:21 PM #192
      Quote Originally Posted by unintended acceleration View Post
      It is funny though hearing people clamor on about low end torque all the time, but after driving a Mazdaspeed 3 and a WRX, or a lot of other 4 cylinder turbocharged engines, I actually preferred the F20C in the S2000. Sure a torque surge is great down low, but running out of power at 6,000 is the trade off and it sucks. It's all a tradeoff for the most part.
      I'd definitely take an S2K all day over a WRX or MS3.

But the issue gets stickier and OP's question more legit when you compare the S to a similar car w/more HP. I'm an admitted VTEC junkie, and an aspiring S2K owner 'one of these days,' but after driving the 1M (for example) I'm really not sure which one is 'better' or 'more enjoyable on the street.'

18. Junior Member Topper Harley's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10' Impreza, 89' Raider, 81' Caddy
      10-06-2012 09:26 PM #193
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      This whole thing we're debating here used to be a matter of common knowledge.

<--Just drove a GT500 and still support your point
      I suppose I could have been slightly off topic, just sharing experience.
      It all depends on the car, and what you want out of it.
      Last edited by Topper Harley; 10-06-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 A4 S-Line Titanium QTM, 2000 A4 QTM, 1993 Audi 90S (sold), 1992 Toyota Corolla
      10-06-2012 10:05 PM #194
      I just read through 6 six pages of nonsense hoping for some decent discussion, wait where did I think I was...

Nevertheless... I will say this, in my limited experience, forced induction, particularly turbo cars, have been a blast to drive and relatively cheaper to own/acquire than a high revving, big motor alternative. That being said, if money was no option, I'm pretty sure that I could find a comparable N/A ride that could tickle my fancy. But then, I'd want to turbo it
      Unf*ckwithable

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      10-06-2012 10:19 PM #195
      Power is power... and I'll trade it for downforce any day.
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      10-07-2012 03:52 AM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by unintended acceleration View Post
      : I will add that after a certain point, I don't agree that slower cars are more fun that faster ones all the time, it really depends. After about >16 lbs per HP I don't find the car can accelerate fast enough to keep me entertained.
      This is where my job comes in handy. Regularly driving vehicles with 110-120 lbs/hp means ANYTHING is an absolute riot to drive. I'm getting my thrills on the cheap, unlike you poor jaded suckers.

Sent from the future via Google Skynet
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      10-07-2012 05:01 AM #197
      Meh. I went from a big turbo gti that was making 400+whp to a bunch of naturally aspirated bmws.

I prefer the feel of a naturally aspirated engine with big displacement/aggressive gearing/cable controlled throttle.

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-07-2012 06:43 AM #198
      Prefer NA, all day

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456