The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refineries rationing Gas. Prices go up, Mom & Pops go down

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-05-2012 10:50 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      if it keeps hicks like you out

still better then europe. i was in london last week and i saw gas for 1.2 pounds a liter. do the math
      Hicks? I think you're confusing parts of the state ... I'm a Clevelander ... Hickville begins south of Columbus. What you said is akin to thinking the Venice Beach surfer dude is living in Alturas.

2. 10-05-2012 10:53 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      Texas does kinda suck for those of us who aren't into football, light beer, NASCAR, and ****ry music, but I do like the $3.32/gal I paid today.
      Cheap gas, decent beer(local breweries) and lots of guns. Heck even some of the music is okay, I live in Austin so we got a lot of different music styles.
      What could be better?

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-05-2012 10:53 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Hicks? I think you're confusing parts of the state ... I'm a Clevelander ... Hickville begins south of Columbus. What you said is akin to thinking the Venice Beach surfer dude is living in Alturas.
      I'm sorry its OK for you to stereotype CA, but I cant stereotype the Midwest, right? I see. Again, I apologize

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-05-2012 11:00 AM #39
      I'm sorry its OK for you to stereotype CA, but I cant stereotype the Midwest, right? I see. Again, I apologize
      But see, I lived in Cali, and Chicago, and NYC, and rural Ohio ... stereotyping is fine, you just need to get your geographic orientation right. As I said, the hicks in Ohio live south of Columbus. What you needed to say was it keeps the "stench of your burning river" out of Cali.

Just want to keep it accurate ...

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-05-2012 11:02 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      Cheap gas, decent beer(local breweries) and lots of guns. Heck even some of the music is okay, I live in Austin so we got a lot of different music styles.
      What could be better?
      I'm bored with it. It's a six-hour drive to anything cool (beach, mountains, forest). Tired of no trees, no good parks and endless strip malls. Low cost of living is great, but I'm not feeling very self actualized out here.
      Last edited by adrew; 10-05-2012 at 01:18 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

6. 10-05-2012 11:12 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I'm bored with it. It's a six-hour drive to anything cool (beach, mountains, forest). Tired of no trees no good parks and endless strip malls. Low cost of living is great, but I'm not feeling very self actualized out here.
      Oh yeah, it is boring.
      We have good parks and some trees out here in the hill country but the rest of the state is rather sad.
      Texas is not a stopping point but a layover in life. Take advantage of the low cost of living and freedoms while you can then GTFO.

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      10-05-2012 11:20 AM #42
      if it keeps hicks like you out

still better then europe. i was in london last week and i saw gas for 1.2 pounds a liter. do the math
      he's from Ohio, you're asking for a lot there

8. 10-05-2012 11:21 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      Typical oil industry executive BS. Any excuse to gouge the public and put the economy at risk to increase their share prices.

Here's the Valero CEO in May of this year:

Valero Energy said it expects more refining capacity to come offline because of weakening fuel demand, even after a number of refinery closures in the US and Europe in the past year.

High unemployment and higher vehicle fuel efficiency have tamped down on fuel sales on both sides of the Atlantic.

High oil prices and decreasing fuel demand caused a number of US refineries in the northeast to shut down, while Valero shut its refinery in Aruba and Hovensa, a joint venture between Hess Corp. and Petroleos de Venezuela S.A.(PDVSA), shut its refinery in the Virgin Islands.

"We believe there's still too much refining capacity in the US and western Europe," Valero CEO Bill Klesse said during a conference call with investors. "Some things die hard."
      ^^^ Very true indeed. The oil cartel is bitch-slapping the American consumers as usual.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-05-2012 11:23 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by SVT2888 View Post
      All those people bragging about liking snow and loving to play in it...you do realize that we also have a mountain range in California that gets snow too right?
      But you don't have hillbillys and moon shine! WV FTW!

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      10-05-2012 11:26 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post
      o but there's tons of is (i do not use)

11. 10-05-2012 11:54 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post
      I lived in northern CA for 2 years. Trust me, there are plenty of hillbillies, generally ass-backwards people, and locally-produced drink... and, for the record, snow. I also lived in MO for 29 years, so you can trust my opinion when it comes to all things redneck.

But, back to the topic at hand, gas prices do indeed suck in CA.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 12:07 PM #47
      Sounds like it's more crap from the wrong coast. I'll enjoy my $3.599/gallon here in good old Ohio ... enjoy your wildfires, $800,000 2 bedroom homes, and earthquakes!

Preach it! Ohio is awesome. I've lived quite a few places and I came back 'cause you just can't beat the heart of it all.

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      10-05-2012 12:30 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      it makes me glad I live in the midwest.

Chris
      im trying to think of a scenario in which i would find myself saying this same thing... and cant come up with one.

different strokes. (also dont live in cali though...)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-05-2012 01:16 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      im trying to think of a scenario in which i would find myself saying this same thing... and cant come up with one.

different strokes. (also dont live in cali though...)
      There's been so much daniel tosh in this. I've seen at least one of his jokes already. The other was about the Midwest being where people go to let their dreams die.

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      10-05-2012 01:31 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by romanl View Post
      he's from Ohio, you're asking for a lot there
      State Education Rankings: Ohio = 24, California = 34.

That was for Math and Science, BTW.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

16. 10-05-2012 01:35 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post

17. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-05-2012 01:37 PM #52

US vs rest of world =

18. 10-05-2012 02:29 PM #53
      Sounds like it's more crap from the wrong coast. I'll enjoy my $3.599/gallon here in good old Ohio ... enjoy your wildfires, $800,000 2 bedroom homes, and earthquakes!

Haha... Cal bashing is alive a well.

Supreme Unleaded at my local station is $3.69/G or $0.10 more than yours.

Here's Orange County gas prices... http://www.orangecountygasprices.com/

As for natural catastrophes or 'Acts of God'... well the Big Dude has shown consistent sadistic tendencies through out history. Didn't the heat wave destroyed the Midwest's corn crop this year? Keep an eye on rising food prices across the nation. No one wins against the Big Dude.

Median home price of SoCal coastal counties as of August 2012...

Ventura: $370k
      Los Angeles: $337k
      Orange $449k
      San Diego $347k
      *Source: DataQuick

Bummin' down the 'wrong coast'... a gig I try to do every year.

Giant Redwoods, Humboldt County

Winery, Mendocino County

Sonoma Coast

Marin County

A stroll across the Golden Gate is always fun

Timeless Big Sur, Montery County

SLO County

Go a bit inland for some wine, cheese and good eating, Napa Valley

and go climb Half Dome or Clouds Rest, Yosemite

or simply go surfing/swimming at my local pool

Twenty years ago I bumped into a family from Ohio who was touring Switzerland. The mother asked me where in the States do I live. I answered, 'California'. Her response was, 'Oh nice, that's God's country'. Apparently, they had seen more of Cal than I had at the time.

Cal is my country as it is yours. Come and enjoy instead falling victim to cheap politics.
      Last edited by Cadenza_7o; 10-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.

10-05-2012 02:38 PM #54

CA is a state of haves and have-nots. Look no further than Silicon Valley for a prime example of a massive concentration of some of the brightest and best in the world all living in one area around an education system built by the super rich, for the super rich. It works though; if those schools and universities weren't there a lot of the amazing things we enjoy today may never have happened at all.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-05-2012 02:42 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      CA is a state of haves and have-nots. Look no further than Silicon Valley for a prime example of a massive concentration of some of the brightest and best in the world all living in one area around an education system built by the super rich, for the super rich. It works though; if those schools and universities weren't there a lot of the amazing things we enjoy today may never have happened at all.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      10-05-2012 02:43 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza_7o View Post
      Cal is my country as it is yours. Come and enjoy instead falling victim to cheap politics.
      No doubt. I lived in Monterey for a few years. Nearly the whole state is an endless panoramic view, hell just about the whole left coast up to Alaska is. If I could, I'd live out there in a heartbeat over anywhere else in the continent.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      10-05-2012 02:46 PM #57
      Regarding hicksville, south of Columbus: Yes. I have family from here to South Point and yes..hicks. Parts of Cincinnati are excluded.

PARTS.

ETA: It should be noted that hicks, rednecks and hillbillies are pretty damned smart, just not urbane, for lack of a better term.

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      10-05-2012 02:56 PM #58
      ...californiawins.org...
      This, among other reasons, is why its worth every goddamn penny.

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      10-05-2012 03:46 PM #59
      Is that one of them there restyourants we hicks hear so much about? What's it like eatin' yer foodstuffs inside like that? We youzull-lee just eat righten' where we kill are foods.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

10-05-2012 04:19 PM #60
      As a NE resident my entire life I admit that given the opportunity I would move to California in a heartbeat. NY gas prices are no different than California, but California has all the great things mentioned above while NYC has nothing to compare.

Tapatalk 2!

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      10-05-2012 04:24 PM #61

I'm in Indiana, but yes I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      I’m so glad I left that puke awful state earlier this year.
      I'm glad I have absolutely no desire to move there.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      10-05-2012 04:49 PM #62
      I guess when the crude oil price is dropping, they have to do something to spice it up...
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

28. 10-05-2012 05:05 PM #63
      The bad news is WTI oil is at around $89-$90. Imagine what if it goes up to around $100.00, which is really not very hard, how much the cost of gas will be? It's scary.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-05-2012 05:15 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      No doubt. I lived in Monterey for a few years. Nearly the whole state is an endless panoramic view, hell just about the whole left coast up to Alaska is. If I could, I'd live out there in a heartbeat over anywhere else in the continent.
      As a hiker, I really appreciate those views on the Pacific Crest Trail. I'd go crazy if my closest long trail was Appalachian Trail that's called the green tunnel because all you see is the underside of trees. Then there's the West Nile and Lyme Disease.

I'm just getting into cycling, and hope to do the Pacific Coast Route so see this coast from a lower elevation.

The driving is unmatched. There are thousands of miles of little used curvy roads that can be linked together with little driving on highways, and most of the ~2000 miles of it that I've driven had great views.

As far as earthquakes go, I gladly take them over tornadoes, hurricanes or blizzards. At least big earthquakes are separated by a few decades statewide, and even those are often separated by a few hundred miles.

Unlike almost the entire east coast, we don't have to worry about a megatsunami.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      10-07-2012 12:05 AM #65
      I just paid $4.99/ gallon tonight to fill up. Here's to over $5 within a couple weeks

31. 10-07-2012 12:56 AM #66

we sure will. and you enjoy your overweight mediocrity.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-07-2012 09:53 AM #67
      All those people bragging about liking snow and loving to play in it...you do realize that we also have a mountain range in California that gets snow too right?
      Exactly! From a Montrealer's perspective (we have REAL winters over here!) California seems like the ultimate place to live! And gas at 5.50... were paying slightly more than that anyways.

I cant believe some people are only paying 3.80!
      Z is pronounced ZED

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-07-2012 10:14 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by valfaw View Post
      cry me a river cali... eff you... we've been dealing with those kinds of eff'd prices here in Chicago all along for no good reason other than greed.

+1000

I've been paying close to $5.00 for premium for the good part of 2012 and I cherry pick my gas stations to find the lowest prices from top tier suppliers.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

34. Member
      10-07-2012 10:49 AM #69
      some of the best skiing in the country is in lake Tahoe, ski in the morning and sit on the beach in the afternoon

suddenly expensive gas doesn't seem that bad

35. 10-07-2012 01:14 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by MK5golf View Post
      Exactly! From a Montrealer's perspective (we have REAL winters over here!) California seems like the ultimate place to live! And gas at 5.50... were paying slightly more than that anyways.

I cant believe some people are only paying 3.80!
      Well, ours did just go up. From ~$3.35 to ~$3.49.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast