VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Refineries rationing Gas. Prices go up, Mom & Pops go down

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru BRZ
      10-07-2012 01:19 PM #71
      just paid $5.89/gallon of 91 at a Chevron here in San Diego, CA.

2. 10-07-2012 01:37 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Stoked_On_Spool View Post
      just paid $5.89/gallon of 91 at a Chevron here in San Diego, CA.
      You meant $4.89?

Thanks QE3.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      10-07-2012 01:47 PM #73
      I would gladly pay $10/gal to not live in OH.

4. Member
      10-07-2012 01:57 PM #74
      Prices shot up $.20/gallon here Friday morning, back down $.15 today. I know its the weekend, but 5% swing both ways in three days is stupid. I'm glad I have a big tank and drive a lot. I'm my own speculater.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
      10-07-2012 02:54 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Sounds like it's more crap from the wrong coast. I'll enjoy my $3.599/gallon here in good old Ohio ... enjoy your wildfires, $800,000 2 bedroom homes, and earthquakes!

You get what you pay for!

Spearfishing

Mammoth Resort

Lake Tahoe

Surfing

the list goes on!
      Last edited by lightbulb8817; 10-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru BRZ
      10-07-2012 03:18 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by livingVoice View Post
      You meant $4.89?

Thanks QE3.
      Nope, I was literally on E looking for the best prices and finally just had to settle at this Chevron, it was $5.69 for 87, $5.79 for 89, and $5.89 for 91.

There are several gas stations here that are mid $5's now...

Vehicles
      AE86, E30/36
      10-07-2012 03:38 PM #77
      'murica.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      10-07-2012 03:43 PM #78
      Must be great to have a gas station down in Beverly Hills. I'm sure movie stars have no problem paying $10/gallon.

9. 10-07-2012 05:29 PM #79
      Goodbye M3, hello Prius

10. 10-07-2012 09:35 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by livingVoice View Post
      Goodbye M3, hello Prius
      Speaking of, now is the time to buy sports cars.
      *off to look at Vipers again*

Vehicles
      ...stopped keeping track
      10-07-2012 11:52 PM #81
      Seems there has been a oil crisis every ten years since the 60s. And people were told the same thing every time..."it's too scarce" Profits been higher than ever for oil though.

added for kick
      Last edited by Rapid Decompression; 10-07-2012 at 11:54 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by skin1488760
      i am a ****ing racist!

SCAMMER skin1488760 Christopher Heiser Escondido Ca951-756-5977 .http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...4-looks-SO-CALhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-intake-socal

12. 10-08-2012 12:16 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      if it keeps hicks like you out

still better then europe. i was in london last week and i saw gas for 1.2 pounds a liter. do the math

Cheap! Normally borders around 1.40/L

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-08-2012 12:32 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by MK5golf View Post
      Exactly! From a Montrealer's perspective (we have REAL winters over here!) California seems like the ultimate place to live! And gas at 5.50... were paying slightly more than that anyways.

I cant believe some people are only paying 3.80!
      Montreal and Quebec City girls are worth the higher gas costs.
      But hey, by all means, feel free to move to Silicone Valley if that's more your thing.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-08-2012 01:23 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Decompression View Post
      Seems there has been a oil crisis every ten years since the 60s. And people were told the same thing every time..."it's too scarce" Profits been higher than ever for oil though.
      Huh? You must be too young to have actually been around when the major crises happened, because anyone watching/reading the news at the time knows better than this.

It wasn't a natural scarcity, thats for sure -- the major oil crises of the last 50 years were all because of geopolitical events, not geological. Sure, there have been minor disruptions as well, like Katrina or the current problems in California, but those are inconsequential and can be fixed quickly with enough manpower.

It's as easy to understand as this: America has been the target of pissy Muslims stopping the flow of crude as a power lever. Most of it was justified, too. You can trace damned near all of the BS America has gotten itself into since World War 2 -- The Iranian hostage crisis, the Kuwait invasion/liberation, hell, even the World Trade Center attacks -- back to American desire for Arab League oil.

This is why energy independence, "drill baby drill", wind turbines, pipelines across Canada etc. is such a hot topic amongst politicos in recent years. Yes, mass-scale oil production will run out someday, and yes, we are burning through the stuff we can get at faster than ever (thanks to better extraction tech), but that's not the reason why gas prices have gone up.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-08-2012 09:36 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Huh? You must be too young to have actually been around when the major crises happened, because anyone watching/reading the news at the time knows better than this.

It wasn't a natural scarcity, thats for sure -- the major oil crises of the last 50 years were all because of geopolitical events, not geological. Sure, there have been minor disruptions as well, like Katrina or the current problems in California, but those are inconsequential and can be fixed quickly with enough manpower.

It's as easy to understand as this: America has been the target of pissy Muslims stopping the flow of crude as a power lever. Most of it was justified, too. You can trace damned near all of the BS America has gotten itself into since World War 2 -- The Iranian hostage crisis, the Kuwait invasion/liberation, hell, even the World Trade Center attacks -- back to American desire for Arab League oil.

This is why energy independence, "drill baby drill", wind turbines, pipelines across Canada etc. is such a hot topic amongst politicos in recent years. Yes, mass-scale oil production will run out someday, and yes, we are burning through the stuff we can get at faster than ever (thanks to better extraction tech), but that's not the reason why gas prices have gone up.
      Then the question always returns to this: Why, if oil is freely available and plentiful, are we digging up the tar sands of Canada in an energy-intensive mining operation than producing that cheap and plentiful crude oil from ground wells?

The answer is this: We ARE running out of oil and every statistician will tell you there hasn't been a significant oil discovery since the North Sea in the late 1960s. People thought they'd never pump Texas dry, but they did in a mere 40 years ... now, that doesn't play much into current prices and their rise and fall, but it does give those who have oil incentive to call all the shots they want. Because, like it or not, if OPEC decided tomorrow to embargo the US again, we'd be up **** creek faster than you can say $20/gallon gasoline.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123