VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

ILX sales are below Acura projections

51K views 288 replies 97 participants last post by  Ross1013 
#1 ·
Before market launch, Acura announced projected sales of 40,000 ILX models per year.

http://acuraconnected.com/tag/acura-sales-2012/

535 year-to-date sales of the ILX hybrid.

ILX sales since release:

• June - 1081 units
  • July - 1410 units
  • August - 1733 units
  • September - 1737 units

TSX sales since ILX release:

• June - 2602 units
  • July - 1980 units
  • August - 2103 units
  • September - 1681 units

See less See more
#44 · (Edited)
FV-QR

Thing I don't get is why they're trying to pull defeat from the jaws of victory when there's a fat, perfect market segment just waiting there for somebody to exploit it. Build a $25-30k compact sport sedan with a sharp design and a turbo four developing around 230-240 hp and SH-AWD as an option, make it look okay, call it the Integra, and sell a goddamn million of them to 35-55 year old professionals who are tempted by the WRX, Focus ST, MS3, and so forth but want something a little more grown up that doesn't rape their wallet like the Tier 1s do. As it stands the GTI and GLI have that market essentially to themselves. Undercut the upcoming A3 sedan by a few grand or so, and they've got it made.

#50 ·
Thing I don't get is why they're trying to pull defeat from the jaws of victory when there's a fat, perfect market segment just waiting there for somebody to exploit it. Build a $25-30k compact sport sedan with a sharp design and a turbo four developing around 230-240 hp and SH-AWD as an option, make it look okay, call it the Integra, and sell a goddamn million of them to 35-55 year old professionals who are tempted by the WRX, Focus ST, MS3, and so forth but want something a little more grown up that doesn't rape their wallet like the Tier 1s do. As it stands the GTI and GLI have that market essentially to themselves. Undercut the upcoming A3 sedan by a few grand or so, and they've got it made.
I agree with this. Also, people sometimes underestimate the appeal of buying from a premium (or semi-premium) brand. Buying my Dodge was painless because I went through USAA. But for someone who might not have access or might not want to use a broker ,dealing with an Acura dealer can be more pleasant than dealing with a Ford or Subaru dealer. But the vehicle itself has to be as compelling as the Ford or Subie.

#46 ·
Turbio--I agree, but the issue is that SH-AWD is now Acura's outdated tech. It's not going to be a focal point anymore, as they ready their next-gen system for launch in the next few years.

SH-AWD is also heavy...part of the reason for the 1st-gen RDX's perceived poor MPG.

#47 ·
Im not sure im seeing how this is a sales "flop" just yet

It was a new model that people didn't know existed yet and each month its been increasing in sales based on the figures posted. Month 4 is almost double month 1. If they go with a nice marketing push and the sales continue to trend upwards then I don't think 40k units is unreachable.

#86 ·
Don't think so... even in GTA north (Markham, Richmond hill) where lots of Asia ladies (EL and CSX were always loved by Asian ladies :laugh:), I don't see the new ILX much. I am guessing lots of Acura customers (specially Asian) had moved "up" to Audi/BMW/Mercedes.

I only saw an ILX on 401 once... Honestly, nowadays Honda and Acura selling most of their cars with big discounts... like the old GM.

#55 ·
Car buyers in this segment are often car leasers, such as myself. I leased a base 2011 328i a year ago. Out the door price was $31k for a car with real leather and a 230hp inline six. Why would I want a $30k ILX instead??

Today you can lease a G25 for the same price as the ILX. Is there any question which is more car?

#68 ·
Turbio has it right here. They need a sophisticated, adult small sedan with a competitive feature set at a good price. I could maybe see making a case for this gussied-up Civic at $25K. But $30K? As someone else mentioned, there are entry level BMWs, Infinitis and Audis available to those buyers. To say that this car isn't in the same league is not a subjective characterization, it's a fact: A car based on a Civic platform is not the equivalent of BMW anything. It can't be.

Really, I just think they should take all the content of the ILX and put it in the Civic while not charging more. They're so close together in the market (loaded Civic versus base ILX) and as has been pointed out, the ILX was developed on the cheap. Why didn't Honda just make this Civic this good? How does this car justify it's faux-luxury badge? Also, personally, I find wannabe-luxury badges to be pretty embarrassing. If you want your car to impress people, then just get a damn BMW/MB/Audi already.

#73 ·
For the money of an ILX you could easily slide into a loaded GLI or get a nice lease on a VW CC.

I am not pushing my own car, but there is nothing that really makes the ILX stand out. It looks meh, it performs meh, and is marketed towards the entry level businessman. Sorry but I know of nobody in that market who would want this car.

I've seen one in the flesh. One. It looked nice, nicer than the pictures show. But it wasn't anything special.

#79 · (Edited)
The marketing behind this car is horrid. Here's the full page ad in C&D for the ILX:

So, if your dad didn't have you, you think he'd be driving an ILX? And who are they targeting with that ad..... you, or your dad so he can reclaim his youth? :what:

I went to the local dealer and saw a ILX in the showroom this week. $33K. You gotta be kidding me.

#87 ·
Really! Infiniti knew that it needed a shot in the arm and to do that, they needed a game-changer. Solution? Build a 3-series knock-off, but make it bigger, more powerful, and cheaper. It's a simple formula, but it did exactly what it was supposed to. Now, Infiniti is in much better shape than it was when it was just re-badging Maximas.

#91 ·
I wasn't looking to tout the GLI/CC either. I was just using them as examples. The CC for it's price point offers something that you cannot get "brand new" in the market from many other manufacturers. At least not without stepping into Mercedes price ranges.

In the sea of sedans in the ILX price range, what makes it stand out from the group? Is the GLI the best of the best, not at all. But it is the "performance" (used lightly) version of the Jetta lineup and thus has a niche same as the Si and WRX in the same price point. Value for the money plays a role in this segment. The ILX just doesn't have anything to make it noticeable.

Acura should be spending more time fixing their current models than releasing more garbage (MDX aside). It just adds to the opinion that they don't care anymore.

#95 ·
FV-QR

You'd think TCLers never heard of a manufacturer making a premium car based on a non-premium car.

#101 · (Edited)
Coming from a guy from a country where the EL & CSX wasnt sold.... :laugh:

"The Acura ILX is an entry-level luxury car for Honda's luxury brand Acura. It replaces the Canada-exclusive Acura CSX and is a new model for the U.S. Like the preceding CSX, the Acura ILX is related to the Honda Civic." - Exactly what my definition of "tarted up Civic" means... It's cosemtics are different, but when you get down to the bones, it's a Civic. Are you trying to tell me that it's an entirely different car?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_ILX

#110 ·
The car itself just does NOT match the OTD+++ price well. :screwy: Add some of the packages and forget about it! :eek:

Advance: 150hp, 5AT, they left the slippery diff in the Civic(?), and the fact that it's not quite a premium vehicle. What does it do that a Civic doesn't? Not so much.

Maybe if they were dealing on them? :popcorn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.