VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

ILX sales are below Acura projections

51K views 288 replies 97 participants last post by  Ross1013 
#1 ·
Before market launch, Acura announced projected sales of 40,000 ILX models per year.

http://acuraconnected.com/tag/acura-sales-2012/

535 year-to-date sales of the ILX hybrid.

ILX sales since release:

• June - 1081 units
  • July - 1410 units
  • August - 1733 units
  • September - 1737 units

TSX sales since ILX release:

• June - 2602 units
  • July - 1980 units
  • August - 2103 units
  • September - 1681 units

See less See more
#112 ·
They definitely screwed up by leaving off the LSD, and not making the Tech Package available with the 2.4L+6MT. Fortunately, that's easily remedied, if they can stop being so stubborn about it.

The ILX, TSX, and Accord 6-6 should all really have one.

#113 ·
I have to agree with the post above me. For the money I can't see any value in this car beyond the fact that it will last over the long haul. I recently picked up a GLI and it's miles above what this thing is offering and for an out the door price that looks to be thousands less. At this point short of pricing it out of the civic range i'm not even sure why the car should cost this month in general?

#114 ·
I played the game and would never look at a Nissan. But for me no matter what I was in the market for I wouldn't touch Nissan, I just don't like them as a brand. Same for the Infiniti lineup.

And I contemplated a mid sizer and it was the Kia Optima but it lost because of one big issue. No manual in turbo SX trim. I realize most of those cars are not geared towards someone in the market for row-your-own so it automatically disqualifies me from looking. So my vehicle search was even smaller to begin with.

#121 ·
Please. Let's stop comparing an Acura to a VW. Forget value, when you talk about ownership experience, it's night and day.

However, I agree that Acura needs to offer a little more pah for the price and create enthusiasm for their brand. The ILX now is what the TSX was 6 years ago, but smaller, less power, more expensive and with less content? :facepalm: Correct me if I'm wrong.

#129 ·
Please. Let's stop comparing an Acura to a VW. Forget value, when you talk about ownership experience, it's night and day.
Although I agree with you completely on the ownership experience, I dont think your stretching it the least bit when your comparing Acura with VW. GLI would compare with the ILX 2.4, would it not? I remember Edmunds testing a mk5 GLI vs a TSX once even, and I did not think that was preposterous in the least. It says a lot about VW... and even about Acura.

Please don't interpret this as Honda/Acura hate... I really want to see them succeed. If they sell cars like this, at those prices, I dont think that they will ....

#152 ·
I agree with VR in saying the Touareg is a "better" (NOT MORE RELIABLE) car than the "jacked up Camry" however I think almost everyone would universally agree that the RX has a greater image of "Luxury" associated with it than the Touareg. I have had a lot of experience with both cars, and I think the Touareg has more of a premium "feel" if that makes any sense... but I sure as hell am never going to buy one!
And in Canada, in terms of perceived Luxury, Lexus trumps VW by a LONGSHOT. Im 100% sure this is the case in the states as well. Lexus is arguably the only Japanese dedicated luxury brand that is up there with the Germans. Im sure people cross shop their S class with an LS, or at least consider it.

ILX still sucks :p

#161 ·
Since when has VW become premium brand? :confused:

As for the ILX, I can see why some "young professionals" may show interest as it offers afforable entry level luxury (including Acura brand name). I'm sure it's pretty slow in automatic, but their target buyers probably don't care. 6MT is intreguing though as it reminds me of the first gen 6MT TSX, but some people say TSX drives sportier. Anyways, the sales number of ILX is probably hurt because of its own competitor, TSX.

#179 ·
That was supposed to be the plan! Damn you, Ito...

They're coming around. The company seems lost right now but that's the time lag in effect. They've been rocked by the outcry about the Civic and made some serious internal changes in response, and they know they bet wrong about performance cars when they saw the GTR succeed.

The 9AT is pretty crazy news at least IMO, and they have already apparently produced the best current CVT. So I have high hopes for the DCT in the new NSX.

The new RLX is supposed to get something like 25 city MPG in a car bigger and faster than the current RL. Things are looking up.

#183 ·
I think folks around here get passionate about Acura's lack of mojo because they know how good Honda can be when it wants to. When Honda was building awesome stuff, it was more forgivable that Acuras were just Hondas + leather and plastic wood trim. But that's not enough anymore and Honda/Acura really hasn't grown with the rest of the industry.

"Smart luxury" is a recipe to continue this malaise. Hence, the Civic-based ILX.

#187 ·
Moderate success. In some ways many of the years they were better looking than the same-year Civic, or better trimmed, so I can see the appeal in that. Really it was just a different way to sell an uptrim Civic, which has been the best selling (non-truck, non-van) car in Canada for more years than not. They certainly never clogged up Canadian roads, and Canadians as a whole are more likely to buy premium small cars than Americans.

Speaking of which, I don't think I've seen an ILX here in Canada outside of the dealer lot.

#190 ·
I think this is mostly a marketing thing. I haven't seen a single ad for the ILX and I didn't even know they were out until someone suggested them when I made threads about my mom looking at a Verano. With the Verano, which is selling well from what I understand, it is on TV all the time and even has Peyton Manning doing stuff in it.

#191 ·
Do you see Toyota selling a rebadged Corolla as a Lexus? Then what makes Honda think this car will sell 40k units a year. They could accomplish that sales figure for the car if it was a Civic like it should be, and they got rid of the embarrassment that is the "new" Civic.
Actually, the HS250h or whatever was essentially a hybrid Corolla (or a Prius sedan if you prefer) sold as a Lexus. It's dead now :p

The idea that a successful Acura can't be based on a Civic is silly, as proved by the Integra's success.

We know why they decided to get rid of the Integra/RSX, but obviously that was a mistake. The question is whether this ILX will eventually be good enough to rectify that mistake.

#194 ·
The idea that a successful Acura can't be based on a Civic is silly, as proved by the Integra's success.

We know why they decided to get rid of the Integra/RSX, but obviously that was a mistake. The question is whether this ILX will eventually be good enough to rectify that mistake.
Recognition that:

)Killing the "Legend"
)Dropping the Integra/RSX line

were bad moves, and that after finally finding another successful formula,

)Uglifying the TL

was a further bad idea would go a long way to fixing the direction of the company.

The ILX is probably the best looking Acura right now, but the value proposition isn't there. I would hope it's a starting point to build it into a proper Integra line replacement, coupe/hatch and sedan, but with the recent track record I'm not sure they'll go more than one generation without changing the formula again.

#193 ·
As far as the Integra, its popularity was due to its driving dynamics. I guess, no idea really, all I know is one guy had a coupe in HS that was automatic, looked okay, but kind of acted like it was the best car there. In Germany of all places.
Dynamics, reliability, TCO, looks, interior. It was an awesome car.

#210 ·
I love Hondas of that era, but what we forget is that almost everything rose then sucked horribly so a good to great Honda could easily seem so profound. Today the competition have caught up. It's not that the ILX is a bad car, but since others are on par or slightly better... the historic superiority seems like a let down.

I believe cars have matured to a level of refinement that will be impractical to improve significantly upon, which makes the former Honda reign of that era impossible. Furthermore back then Honda had a unique, albeit simple design language while so many of its competition's language was dislexic (sp?). Today its competition have brought serious game in terms of styling while Honda is the one confused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.