Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Waiting for back rotors can I use my new pads on my old rotors without ****ing up the pads

1. 10-04-2012 08:50 PM #1
      I know that the pad mates up to the back rotor. I have my new front rotors along with all my brake pads but the ECS back rotors are not estimated to arrive till Nov 8th. I was wondering if I could just use my pads for the back and not be overaggressive when I bed them into the old rotors. The pads are a ceramic Kevlar compound. I found back rotors through Adams Rotors but they are $100 more than the ECS slotted cross drilled and will still take two to three weeks to get to MI. So even if I can't reuse my back pads I can still get them shipped to me for free for about $66 so I still would save about $40 plus cost of shipping. I did just change my breaks a few months ago (the front rotor and pads) so those are bedded and new. I'm just upgrading to slotted cross drilled.

Thanks for the help.

2. 10-05-2012 09:06 AM #2
      bump

Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      10-05-2012 09:36 AM #3
      I think I'd just go get some cheapie pads (less than $20) from Autozone and run them until you get the new rotors from ECStuning. I don't know how much wear would really happen, especially on the back brakes, but I personally wouldn't bed them on a different rotor.
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 1988 F-150 (Still don't know why I like this truck...)

4. 10-05-2012 10:42 AM #4
      That is what I was thinking. Thank you for the reply!

Vehicles
      2004.5 Jetta GLI, 1995 Golf III City
      10-06-2012 10:53 PM #5
      You can run them. Once you get your new rotors, take the pads and a sheet on 150 grit sandpaper and on a flat surface scrub the face of the pads until they're flat. I did this on my last set and it worked like a charm.
      Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      I never understood this and don't take it personally because people come on here and say that all the time. But if you don't know what it is or what it does, why don't you leave it the hell alone?