Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: GLI On Air Pulling A Jet Ski??

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      05 Jetta GLI
      10-04-2012 11:03 PM #1
      So I need some advice. I'm looking to purchase a 2012 sea doo rxt-x 260 and wanted to get some advice if you think my car can handle it?

My Car: (Don't mind the hood. Planning on getting it painted soon)

Will be using a Westfalia hitch:
      -tongue weight is 160 lbs
      -towing capacity is 3,600 lbs

And the Ski:
      -Dry Weight: 834 lb

2. 10-04-2012 11:35 PM #2
      i dont see why not, just take it easy. i pull things with my 55HP Mk1 caddy

3. 10-04-2012 11:57 PM #3
      Do you have a single ramp that you will only use? What's it's condition? What type of water? What's the weight of the trailer? What type of tires are you running?

Just going by what you've mentioned, I'd think twice about using it to launch a watercraft. Just because you can tow it doesn't mean you can launch/load it.

Too many people purchase a watercraft and completely disregard what it truly takes to safely tow, launch and load it. These are the people that end up with their vehicles in the water or stuck on a ramp.

Vehicles
      05 Jetta GLI
      10-05-2012 12:10 AM #4
      Yes I will be using one ramp that is kept up very well. Floor and ramp has no slime. I am running 18x8.5 fronts with a 205/40/18 tire(toyo proxes 4).

Just to make sure my car won't end up in the water I was going to put a wood block behind the tire so I don't roll back

5. 10-05-2012 01:07 AM #5
      I wouldn't use it to launch/load. And blocks of wood will come all too late.

-You're lowered; depending on trailer height, I'd imagine you will find yourself having to back in further than normal.
      -Tires don't help.
      -FWD with an open diff can get you stuck on a ramp depending on the circumstances.

You can tow it without problem, but I wouldn't dare use it to regularly launch and load a decent size jetski. Easy way to lose your car.

Vehicles
      05 Jetta GLI
      10-05-2012 08:13 AM #6
      I'm on air so I could raise it up! And I also have a Limited sllip diff (lsd) so traction problems will be less.

Thanks for the incite

Height when I am aired up
      Last edited by boosted gli; 10-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.