Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mk4 2.0 wanna go turbo.

Vehicles
      2001.5 LY3D Golf
      10-04-2012 10:56 PM #1
      So i realize ill get flamed and i dont care. Been thinking about doing a 2.0t lately and only reason is because. well im board but dont wanna have my car out of commition for so long because of a engine swap. and its not really as much i want to have MASSIVE hp. im just looking to do something new.
      Basicly what i wanna know is has any one in the pnw ever done a 2.0t on a mk4 and if so how did it work out how much work was it what problems did you run in to and where did you get your kit? Also i kinda like the idea of not buying a compleat kit... just because i dont wanna hack my bumper to **** to fit a intercooler i dont want and what not. So trying to see what options there are out there.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      VW-less :(
      10-05-2012 01:35 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Edleman View Post
      So i realize ill get flamed and i dont care. Been thinking about doing a 2.0t lately and only reason is because. well im board but dont wanna have my car out of commition for so long because of a engine swap. and its not really as much i want to have MASSIVE hp. im just looking to do something new.
      Basicly what i wanna know is has any one in the pnw ever done a 2.0t on a mk4 and if so how did it work out how much work was it what problems did you run in to and where did you get your kit? Also i kinda like the idea of not buying a compleat kit... just because i dont wanna hack my bumper to **** to fit a intercooler i dont want and what not. So trying to see what options there are out there.
      Just saying, you may as well save your time and swap a 1.8t and not have to worry with all of the issues that come along with turboing a N/A engine.
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      delete your account and start over.
      Oh the Mark 4 forums.., how I will miss you.

Vehicles
      MKIV S/C .:R32
      10-05-2012 10:32 AM #3
      ^^^^^ what he said

But if you still wanna turbo that 2.slow stage 1 Kinetic kits sell for about $3k.

Or build your own. T3/T4 50 Trim
      Anger is a gift

4. Member
      Vehicles
      06 s2000
      10-05-2012 11:56 AM #4
      Sell your car and buy a 1.8t.. you will save yourself time, money, and headaches.

5. Awaiting Email Confirmation
      Vehicles
      04' R32, 81' Caddy
      10-06-2012 10:39 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ChubbaDub View Post

But if you still wanna turbo that 2.slow stage 1 Kinetic kits sell for about $3k.

I think they even advertised it as being "slightly faster than a stock VR6" back in the day. STOCK.

Vehicles
      A6 2.7T<-junk, B3 Vr6<-nice, Mk1 2.0<-rusty
      10-07-2012 12:50 AM #6
      Do you plan on installing the kit your self? If you buy a complete kit you shouldn't have any big problems. You will need some exhaust modifications to the down pipe and or catalytic converter.
      If you have stock exhaust I would plan on upgrading it.
      A kit is faster and easier to setup, but building your own would save you a bit of money.

I would advise against doing a swap, because most obd2 swap cars fail deq.
      It is much easier to turbo your car and pass deq, than it is to swap your car and pass deq.
      Last edited by jiffyjetta; 10-07-2012 at 12:57 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      didn't they tell you the wheel bearing was bad when you went for an alignment?
      Quote Originally Posted by CouchGuy View Post
      When they talk, I hear " blah, blah, I'm a douche bag, blah, josh can fix it "

Vehicles
      2005 Mk4 Jetta 8v 1966 Mercedes-Benz W110 'Heckflosse'
      10-07-2012 01:49 AM #7
      IMO Alex, you should go super. Flat rate, no kit to piece together. Plug n' play (sorta). Awesome supercharger whine. Moar power without being trying to be super awesome racekor.

But if you're really considering 2.0T, I believe there is someone from WA who's done the 8vT. Can't recall the name but it's a Jetta and I want to say the last time I saw it, the car was a dark color. Maybe a flat black? Do not remember the vortex name though. I'm guessing if you look through the old 8v Society threads on the Mk4 forum you'll find him/her.
      8v Society #270. | Meet Wendy. | Meet Charlotte. | Flickr. | IG: @amotion578

"When I came to, the general back-alley ambiance of the suite was so rotten, so incredibly foul. How long had I been lying there? All these signs of violence."

8. Senior Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, and a '13 tdi
      10-08-2012 04:41 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Edleman View Post

how about skipping the engine work and just installing an airbag setup like most of the other mk4 guys

Vehicles
      2001.5 LY3D Golf
      10-08-2012 11:40 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by amotion578 View Post
      IMO Alex, you should go super. Flat rate, no kit to piece together. Plug n' play (sorta). Awesome supercharger whine. Moar power without being trying to be super awesome racekor.

But if you're really considering 2.0T, I believe there is someone from WA who's done the 8vT. Can't recall the name but it's a Jetta and I want to say the last time I saw it, the car was a dark color. Maybe a flat black? Do not remember the vortex name though. I'm guessing if you look through the old 8v Society threads on the Mk4 forum you'll find him/her.
      I knew a guy who bought a 1999.5 tor red jetta from a guy who turboed it. It was a intresting set up... i didnt really think much to look @ it then.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      how about skipping the engine work and just installing an airbag setup like most of the other mk4 guys
      First car... also first lowered car... and im kinda enjoying the static moment. and air is more fun when you got a jetta IMO. driving down the road like a giant ski jump is pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      Do you plan on installing the kit your self? If you buy a complete kit you shouldn't have any big problems. You will need some exhaust modifications to the down pipe and or catalytic converter.
      If you have stock exhaust I would plan on upgrading it.
      A kit is faster and easier to setup, but building your own would save you a bit of money.

I would advise against doing a swap, because most obd2 swap cars fail deq.
      It is much easier to turbo your car and pass deq, than it is to swap your car and pass deq.
      thats good to know. I dont wanna have any issues down the line ive held off on the exhaust for the time being because i figgured i would need to get a new set up for a turbo...

Thanks
      Come on 2.0ts i know there has to be atleast 1 of you.

Vehicles
      Mk4 2.0T on megasquirtII
      10-12-2012 12:43 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by amotion578 View Post

i think you might be talking about me. to be honest to the op it is worth it but its only worth pieceing a "kit" yourself. unless you don't mind spending the extra cash. i wouldn't recommend going with a non intercooled set up. they are very ineficient as your intake temps are going to be high and stock ecu will pull alot of timing. go with a mild set up and run a headspacer..that's really all you need.
      One slow MK4 8vT

Vehicles
      16v mk1, a mk3 and a mk4
      10-14-2012 03:26 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      As sarcastic as this statement was ment to be, I second this.

12. Senior Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, and a '13 tdi
      10-14-2012 03:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by plastic_bullet View Post
      As sarcastic as this statement was ment to be, I second this.
      it was only partially meant in jest...

Vehicles
      88 jetta digi 16v coupe, 05 gli 1.8t 6 speed
      10-16-2012 12:59 AM #13
      I drove a 2.0t mk4 at work a while ago, for a 8v it was pretty impressive. Looked to be running stock management with some sort of chip. It was red also.

Vehicles
      16v mk1, a mk3 and a mk4
      10-16-2012 08:53 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcadoo View Post
      I drove a 2.0t mk4 at work a while ago, for a 8v it was pretty impressive. Looked to be running stock management with some sort of chip. It was red also.
      Might have been Bens old car?