Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Winterized diesel

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Sportwagen TDI/DSG
      10-04-2012 11:03 PM #1
      What kind of mileage reduction have folks been seeing from the "winterized" fuel? Mine has been about 5-7 mpg less. Just wondering if that's the norm for the 2.0 TDI. I just got my APR upgrade and was trying to establish a baseline when the winter stuff hit the pumps.

Vehicles
      CW 2011 Golf TDI DSG 4-Door, 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo: past vehicles B5.5 Passat W8 wagon: 1964 GTO
      10-05-2012 07:01 AM #2
      Last winter I saw a reduction of 2-3 mpg vs. warm weather mpg. The temperature has more to do with your mpg dropping than the winterized diesel fuel. Common rail diesels are not designed to run on blended diesel fuels. DO NOT use any blended diesel fuel in your car. Your warranty will be voided if you torpedo the HPFP.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI DSG
      10-05-2012 09:04 AM #3
      I also see a 2-3 mpg reduction once the engine is warmed up. The biggest issue is the extended time it takes for your engine to warm up in the winter, especially if you take a lot of short trips.

Vehicles
      CW 2011 Golf TDI DSG 4-Door, 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo: past vehicles B5.5 Passat W8 wagon: 1964 GTO
      10-05-2012 11:48 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cd_booth View Post
      I also see a 2-3 mpg reduction once the engine is warmed up. The biggest issue is the extended time it takes for your engine to warm up in the winter, especially if you take a lot of short trips.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Sportwagen TDI/DSG
      10-05-2012 01:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by aampsmb View Post
      Last winter I saw a reduction of 2-3 mpg vs. warm weather mpg. The temperature has more to do with your mpg dropping than the winterized diesel fuel. Common rail diesels are not designed to run on blended diesel fuels. DO NOT use any blended diesel fuel in your car. Your warranty will be voided if you torpedo the HPFP.
      By "blended" do you mean the 5% biodiesel Shell sells? I haven't seen anything other than that. The gas stations should be required to post a placard on the pump if the fuel is blended, shouldn't they?

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 02:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by JES2016 View Post
      By "blended" do you mean the 5% biodiesel Shell sells? I haven't seen anything other than that. The gas stations should be required to post a placard on the pump if the fuel is blended, shouldn't they?
      Blended diesel is No. 2 diesel blended with No. 1 diesel (kerosene) or No. 2 diesel with an additive added by the manufacturer. Just stick with the Ultra-low sulphur diesel your local station sells and you'll be fine. Which is a 5% mix of bio-diesel.

Some manufacturers used to mix gasoline for their winter diesel blends. Thankfully, here in the US we don't have to worry about that.

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI AB, 2011 Golf TDI (traded)
      10-05-2012 04:48 PM #7
      Isn't winterized diesel fuel ULS kerosene blended with ULSD? I cant remember why but I was under the impression that that was the standard mix in the northeast, at least?
      '13.5 GLI Autobahn/Frost Silver/Nav/Bi-xenons/LED tails

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 06:38 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisMk6TDi View Post
      Isn't winterized diesel fuel ULS kerosene blended with ULSD? I cant remember why but I was under the impression that that was the standard mix in the northeast, at least?
      "Winterized" diesel in the U.S. is diesel blended with an additive by the manufacturer to prevent gelling.

"Winter Blend" diesel is diesel mixed with kerosene. Semis can use this blend. Our CR diesels cannot.

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI AB, 2011 Golf TDI (traded)
      10-06-2012 03:45 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by aampsmb View Post
      "Winterized" diesel in the U.S. is diesel blended with an additive by the manufacturer to prevent gelling.

"Winter Blend" diesel is diesel mixed with kerosene. Semis can use this blend. Our CR diesels cannot.
      Gotcha. I'm used to hearing about the "blend" that the pumps at the DOT yard i work at get.
      '13.5 GLI Autobahn/Frost Silver/Nav/Bi-xenons/LED tails