Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: One Lap of America 2013

Vehicles
      04 .:R32 ,02 Jetta 1.8T,95 GTI
      10-05-2012 12:08 AM #1
      After reading and listing earlier this year about the smoking tire doing one lap I want to do it. My question is has anyone do it before on a almost stock R32 N/a , I know someone ran a turbo R last year.

My main question is what should I upgrade on the car to handle 4000+ miles and 20 track in 8 day on one set of tires

This is what I got on my list

SS brake lines
      lighter and stickier tires but not to sticky or else i wont be able to do the entire trip
      sway bars maybe

Full check over the car bumper to bumper to make sure everything is in good working order
      Follow me on Instagram Wookies In the Woods
      PM Me about if you need Vagcom scan in the GTA or Barrie area
      - 2004 Vw Golf .:R32
      - 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T
      - 1995 Vw Golf GTi 2.slow (Timeline tread)

Vehicles
      MKIV S/C .:R32
      10-05-2012 12:21 AM #2
      Suspension

Lighter wheels if youre runnin the Aristos right now
      Anger is a gift

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04 .:R32T, 04 TT3.2Coupe, B5 Avant, B8 Avant
      10-05-2012 06:01 AM #3
      I ran One lap with a Turbo R the last two years.

How much track driving experience do you have? That makes a big difference in your approach.

As for the car, how many miles are on it, and is it up to date on all maintenance? If high miles or if you've neglected any maintenance, do that first. Seriously...

Regarding your list of mods:

SS brake lines are great, but they would not be first on my list unless you've had issues with the rubber lines before, or unless you've already got them sitting on the shelf.

Tires must have a minimum treadwear rating of 140, and must be purchased through Tire Rack, with a special One-Lap branding. I ran Pilot SuperSports last year, and probably will again.

Skip the sway bars for now.

My suggestions would be:

1) Brake pads and fluid flush with high temp racing fluid. I recommend Motul RBF6X0 or Endless fluid. Pads are a tough choice. If you don't have a ton of track experience, you might be ok with a fast road pad, but I personally run full track pads front and rear (Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear). Then again, I also have a stoptech BBK and a lot of horsepower. One Lap can be tough on brakes if you are aggressive.

2) Buy and figure out a way to fit a full size spare in your car along with everything else you need. I had my spare tire well modded to fit one, but you can always just pack it in the luggage compartment or the back seat.

3) Suspension if you are still stock. You can probably get away with just replacing the crap Monroe dampers, but another choice would be a good matched spring and shock set from reputable companies like H&R and Bilstein. Coilovers are great, but more expensive. DO NOT GO LOW.

4) Pack Spare coils, Brake Light Switch, and anything else that is prone to failure and easily replaced on the road. Also assemble a good set of essential tools.

5) Get EZPass if you don't already have it. Not all tollbooths along the way might accept it, but it looks like it will cover 80% of this year's route.

6) CB Radio. This may sound funny or archaic, but you will find most veteran OneLappers to be using them, and you'll be amazed at how useful (and fun) they are on the trip.

7) Get some practice - preferably at one of the scheduled tracks.

Other than than, just plan to spend a lot of money. Hotels, food, and especially fuel add up, and that's after the entry fee, car prep, etc. Also, you'll need a fire suit and helmet if you don't already have them.

Have you thought about who your co-driver would be? Also an important choice...

Anyways, please keep me posted if you end up moving forward with this. It would be great to have another R in the mix!

Here's a video from Summit Point in 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpCfXf5vy4A
      Last edited by Kammer; 10-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 09:19 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Kammer View Post
      I ran One lap with a Turbo R the last two years.

How much track driving experience do you have? That makes a big difference in your approach.

As for the car, how many miles are on it, and is it up to date on all maintenance? If high miles or if you've neglected any maintenance, do that first. Seriously...

Regarding your list of mods:

SS brake lines are great, but they would not be first on my list unless you've had issues with the rubber lines before, or unless you've already got them sitting on the shelf.

Tires must have a minimum treadwear rating of 140, and must be purchased through Tire Rack, with a special One-Lap branding. I ran Pilot SuperSports last year, and probably will again.

Skip the sway bars for now.

My suggestions would be:

1) Brake pads and fluid flush with high temp racing fluid. I recommend Motul RBF6X0 or Endless fluid. Pads are a tough choice. If you don't have a ton of track experience, you might be ok with a fast road pad, but I personally run full track pads front and rear (Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear). Then again, I also have a stoptech BBK and a lot of horsepower. One Lap can be tough on brakes if you are aggressive.

2) Buy and figure out a way to fit a full size spare in your car along with everything else you need. I had my spare tire well modded to fit one, but you can always just pack it in the luggage compartment or the back seat.

3) Suspension if you are still stock. You can probably get away with just replacing the crap Monroe dampers, but another choice wouldw be a good matched spring and shock set from reputable companies like H&R and Bilstein. Coilovers are great, but more expensive. DO NOT GO LOW.

4) Pack Spare coils, Brake Light Switch, and anything else that is prone to failure and easily replaced on the road. Also assemble a good set of essential tools.

5) Get EZPass if you don't already have it. Not all tollbooths along the way might accept it, but it looks like it will cover 80% of this year's route.

6) CB Radio. This may sound funny or archaic, but you will find most veteran OneLappers to be using them, and you'll be amazed at how useful (and fun) they are on the trip.

7) Get some practice - preferably at one of the scheduled tracks.

Other than than, just plan to spend a lot of money. Hotels, food, and especially fuel add up, and that's after the entry fee, car prep, etc. Also, you'll need a fire suit and helmet if you don't already have them.

Have you thought about who your co-driver would be? Also an important choice...

Anyways, please keep me posted if you end up moving forward with this. It would be great to have another R in the mix!

Here's a video from Summit Point in 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpCfXf5vy4A

Wow thanks for the info. I dont have much track driving experience but Iv to plan on doing a few track days before years end and I'm going to do a few in the spring. I just want to do it for the experience of one driving around the US and second hitting up a ton of tracks. Couldn't care if I how I place in the end.

Info about my car and current state

it has 136,000Kms on it all maintenance is done and work on the car has always done at a high level of detail and use OEM or better parts when something is replaced.

Brakes
      Stoptech slotted rotors
      hawks HPS pads all around
      ATF Super Blue Racing Fluid
      less then 5000kms old

Suspension
      Koni Yellow shocks
      B&G springs
      doesn't sit low, I still have good wheel gap

What did you use as a spare tire ? did you bring a full size tire and rim ?

I have 6 space coil packs and 6 new ones in the car from Feb 2012.

whats a EZPass? I live up near Toronto Canada so I will also have a bit of a extra drive to the start of one lap.

I didnt know you need a fire suit, But I'm still reading the website and trying to figure this hole thing out.

I have a good friend that were both in to hitting the track and playing Iracing.

Thanks for the great info, If I can figure out everything I need hope fully Ill be there in 2013
      Last edited by B0rin; 10-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.
      - 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T

Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      10-05-2012 09:49 AM #5
      Your going to want:

Another set of tires and rims
      Extra Brake pads - I would also suggest getting atleast new rotors if not a BBK up front (Racing Brake) is very nice and not super expensive
      Pads: Full Track Pad - ull heat the street pads up and if your going tracking over 20 times ull see the value of the investment
      Stainless lines all around - (USP sells a complete Rear, not just the (body to trailing arm jump section)
      I would get another set of strut mounts or move to a solid camber plate system
      I would get some coilovers too but not necessary
      A lot of Motul RB600 brake fluid
      Oil change equipment - your going to want to change your oil every 2 track days or 3 at the most. I do it after every track day - did 5 this year
      I would look into having an extra clutch lying around...

Your going to break stuff, your going to run through all the maintenance stuff... might as well have that lying around too:
      water pump
      tensioner
      belts
      coils
      sparks
      extra / replacement bolts for all of those parts listed above

Tool wise your going to want:
      good torque wrench - dont skimp - dont get the harborfrieght/pittsburg one
      Set of wrenches
      Set of rackets and sockets
      wheel hanger
      pry bar
      torx bits
      allen drivers
      Triple Squares/12 points
      A good low profile jack - you can get his off harbor frieght. Just bought a super nice 1 for like $120
      4 jack stands
      Invest in the jack pad adaptors - and/or hockey pucks

The list goes on and many people have a solid list of **** they bring. I have built my kit over the past year and its pretty intense now... but totally worth it.

At the end of the season - Buy a miata and start tracking that. Ive spent over 7k in track crap this year between broken stuff, entries, and living expenses... 5k of it was for the R...
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 10:16 AM #6
      Yak Meat makes some good recommendations too, but I think some are overkill for One Lap, especially given that the format is so time-condensed. You only get one reconn lap and 3 hot laps per track event.

For example, I've never seen anybody change their oil on the One Lap, except to maintain the warranty on a new TT RS (they actually had Audi techs come out to the track to do it!). Also, you can't really have an extra set of wheels and tires while on the One Lap. You can run 6 tires maximum during the course of the event.

Nonetheless, Yak's suggestions are good ones if you're going to run repeated track days (full track days) throughout the season.

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      10-05-2012 10:56 AM #7
      I also thought about doing this event this year with a good friend of mine that's been doing it awhile in VW's, Eric Cullens. I think my car is prepped for it, I've recently serviced nearly everything. I already own all the safety equipment. My only concern is overall cost, being that I'm on the west coast. I really wish they would bring something like this to the west coast, it would be perfectly doable in my opinion with all the tracks we have. Good luck with it, it is an amazing event and something you'll never forget. Just be prepared to spend A LOT of money for a glorified track day experience.
      .:R32 RennSport
      Buttonwillow #13 2:02.411 Laguna Seca 1:45.485 Willow Springs 1:37.339
      www.usrallyteam.com For all of your hardcore racing needs!
      www.Speedhunters.com
      www.petrolicious.com

Vehicles
      04 BMP .:R, 03 GTI 24v, 92 VW Jetta GL (sold), Street Triple R
      10-05-2012 11:49 AM #8
      The stocker the better, besides the basic stuff like wheels and suspension that can without a doubt be relied on. I've talk to a few guy that have done it that say a stockish R32 is a great choice.. I see it as more of an endurance event.. Good Luck!!

Whats everyone's ideas on cost to run it?
      Last edited by VRptstyly; 10-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
      If you need Vag-Com Contact me..
      PORTUGAL
      Check out my flickr!!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 11:54 AM #9
      You know Erik (I thought it was with a K)? That's cool! Tell him I said hi. I've been to a few track days with him. Last year he and Jon Noble were in the white GTI that beat me for the class win in 2011.

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      10-05-2012 11:59 AM #10
      I want to of this so bad. Well have to see if the R will be ready in time
      Instagram- @eboudah

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      10-05-2012 01:45 PM #11
      You know Erik (I thought it was with a K)? That's cool! Tell him I said hi. I've been to a few track days with him. Last year he and Jon Noble were in the white GTI that beat me for the class win in 2011.
      Yes, I do know Erik (yes it's with a K). I actually bought the roll bar out of his 2003 GTI that he entered in 2010. I might just end up co-driving one of these years. He is a great driver and even though we live in the same town we have yet to do a track day together.
      .:R32 RennSport
      Buttonwillow #13 2:02.411 Laguna Seca 1:45.485 Willow Springs 1:37.339
      www.usrallyteam.com For all of your hardcore racing needs!
      www.Speedhunters.com
      www.petrolicious.com

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32, 2003 1.8T GTI, 1974 2002 tii
      10-05-2012 01:57 PM #12
      I met him at Buttonwillow as well, he had great stories about his experience, sounds really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled56 View Post
      Yes, I do know Erik (yes it's with a K). I actually bought the roll bar out of his 2003 GTI that he entered in 2010. I might just end up co-driving one of these years. He is a great driver and even though we live in the same town we have yet to do a track day together.
      Rigi Cola.

"The VR6 was an orchestra of well-tuned cylindrical delights." - jalopnik.com

Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      10-05-2012 02:12 PM #13
      didnt really realize the format of the track days... i thought that u were doing 20 full track days with between 3 and 4 20 minute sessions a day... thats what i have been doing - HPDE.

If its that short and your doing so few laps and such a condensed period of time, nix most of what I said maintenance wise, you wont need a brake kit either as you probably wont run into fade after just 3 laps... even with our nose heavy pigs... just good pads, lines, maybe lighter rotors, id def get some lighter wheels and solid camber plates... but after that its up to you.
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 11:22 PM #14
      Love this chat, One Lap is def on the list!!
      PORTUGAL
      Check out my flickr!!

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 11:37 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by VRptstyly View Post
      Love this chat, One Lap is def on the list!!
      We should get a few R driver together to do it .
      - 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 03:22 PM #16
      - 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T

Vehicles
      04 R32, 07 Jetta 2.0t(wifes)
      10-06-2012 04:49 PM #17
      Are the track days open for anyone to come and watch? I would totally drive over to Daytona and watch a some Rs fly around a track.
      "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." -Jeremy Clarkson

Vehicles
      10-07-2012 12:01 AM #18
      I got a few questions that I feel are a bit unclear on the site. Do drivers require a license? NASA, SCCA etc..? And how much is $500K of liablity insurance going for? haha

Probably one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" instances. Probably more doable once I'm done with school. Doesn't mean I wouldnt crew for someone.
      PORTUGAL
      Check out my flickr!!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 06:30 AM #19
      Are the track days open for anyone to come and watch?
      For the most part... Some tracks are more restrictive than others with spectators, but I think you'd be able to drive right up to the garage area at Daytona. Let me tell you, that was a serious experience in 2011 (driving on the Rolex course at Daytona). Can't wait to do it again.

Do drivers require a license? NASA, SCCA etc..?
      Yes. You need a license from the sanctioning body, which in this case is NASA. Of course, you also have to have a valid license to drive on the street as well.

And how much is $500K of liablity insurance going for?
      Call your insurance company and ask them. Actually, $500K of liability insurance is not that much. You might already have it.

Also, if you haven't already, read the Matt's account of the 2012 event. There's a link to it on the SmokingTire website. Matt is a great guy, and so it the guy he co-drove for, Mike Musto. I've also participated in the Fireball Run in past years, and Mike ran that as well. Truly a class act.

Vehicles
      10-07-2012 11:30 AM #20
      For the most part... Some tracks are more restrictive than others with spectators, but I think you'd be able to drive right up to the garage area at Daytona. Let me tell you, that was a serious experience in 2011 (driving on the Rolex course at Daytona). Can't wait to do it again.

Yes. You need a license from the sanctioning body, which in this case is NASA. Of course, you also have to have a valid license to drive on the street as well.

Call your insurance company and ask them. Actually, $500K of liability insurance is not that much. You might already have it.

Also, if you haven't already, read the Matt's account of the 2012 event. There's a link to it on the SmokingTire website. Matt is a great guy, and so it the guy he co-drove for, Mike Musto. I've also participated in the Fireball Run in past years, and Mike ran that as well. Truly a class act.
      Thanks for the clearing up if you need NASA, its only $45 so that's cheap. 500,000 of liability is like basic, and its cheap to get more if you need more, for me it was a extra $1 a month to go from 1 million to 2.

because of The smoking tire its now why I wanted to get in to one lap after they talked about it on the podcast and the wright up. Also if you haven't listened to their podcast you should
      - 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 10:40 PM #21
      Found some pictures of some R32s that ran last year on autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...#photo-5005553

- 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      10-11-2012 06:13 AM #22
      Maybe i missed it, but is there a website i can go to to get all of the specs, regulations, etc. By looking on that map, thats a whole hell of a lot of driving haha. Do u drive to each track or can u trailer the car? never really read up on 1 lap, therefore not sure the rules, etc. How many days does this take place?

-Ellery
      Instagram- @eboudah

23. Member
      Vehicles
      10-11-2012 09:20 AM #23
      Yep - That's me in the BMP - car #68. Bob, my co-driver, was checking out the cool new LED flashlight that we were given as one of the entries. We were just about to set off for the oval at South Bend.

Maybe i missed it, but is there a website i can go to to get all of the specs, regulations, etc. By looking on that map, thats a whole hell of a lot of driving haha. Do u drive to each track or can u trailer the car? never really read up on 1 lap, therefore not sure the rules, etc. How many days does this take place?
      www.OneLapofAmerica.com

Click on the "Main Page" link on the left.

Yes, it is a lot of driving. The rules are that you have to drive the car to each event. You cannot trailer your car. Last year, the event was 8 days in duration. It's truly an endurance event for the cars and drivers.

24. 04-20-2013 01:11 AM #24
      Just randomly found this thread...Heya all.. I'm the Erik in question. I've done the race a few times...first in my slightly upgraded GTI (and was spanked by the better prepped teams). Since then I've run it in a built Audi (third in class), Cayman Turbo (third again), and the über GTI (damn it...third) that beat me the first year. If anyone is interested it doing the event, let me know. I second Khris's recommendations.

BTW, you should check out what we're doing for this year. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...led-correctly.

Long story short...just go try it. Try to not overdo the build the first year and make sure you are reliable. You will have a blast...and break something...and yell at your codriver...but by the end of the week...it's all golden.

Cheers all!

-Erik

25. Member
      Vehicles
      04-20-2013 06:47 AM #25
      This really sucks. Erik, call or PM me and I'll give you the details.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      04-28-2013 08:56 AM #26
      I'm back in, and if the shakedown goes well today, I'm bringing the turbo R again.

Borin, Are you in?

Erik, just reread your post. No yelling at your co driver this year!