Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help finding the correct TCM.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) MkIII Jetta GL, MKIII Jetta GLX, MKIII Golf GL
      10-05-2012 12:21 AM #1
      So, a while back I purchased a '96 Golf GL Auto that had "transmission problems" going on. So after some investigation, the car will engage, sometimes. When it does, it pulls for a few feet, then gives up. Then, it usually take a couple of restarts for the car to grab and pull again, though only for a few feet at a time. This works both in first, and in reverse.

So, I was thinking it was the TCM/TCU because the guy I bought it from said that the transmission was completely gone, but that has to be false if the car will pull at times. Right? Well, found out that the TCM/TCU was not the original, as it has "95 JETTA" written on the top of it.

So, two questions:

Is there anyway to find out which TCM/TCU the car came with originally?

And ;

Am I headed in the correct direction?
      [As in, does this sound like a TCM/TCU problem? I would have to assume so since all the reading I have done says that your TCM/TCU has to pretty much be a close match to your original.]

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/1.8T Jetta 5sp Automatic
      10-05-2012 10:55 AM #2
      You could go to a dealer and with your VIN they will be able to provide you with the correct P/N for the TCM.

Could be several things that the transmission behaves that way, but since you already find that the TCM says 95, you should first make sure is the correct TCM for your car, some P/Ns apply for different model years, but make sure first.

If the TCM is the correct one for your car, then a scan to the TCM should follow.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      10-05-2012 02:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Atticus92 View Post
      ......So after some investigation, the car will engage, sometimes. When it does, it pulls for a few feet, then gives up. Then, it usually take a couple of restarts for the car to grab and pull again, though only for a few feet at a time. This works both in first, and in reverse.

So, I was thinking it was the TCM/TCU......
      What your describing there is not the TCM causing it. If your fluid is full you probably need a trans. Be sure to check the fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus92 View Post
      ......but that has to be false if the car will pull at times. Right?
      No, thats not right.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com