VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Random coolant leak please help

8K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Habisch137 
#1 ·
hey guys i parked my car tonight and after i moved it into the garage i saw that there was alot of coolant on the street just all of the sudden my car has started to leak, ive tried to follow the leak back but i cant seem to find a hose where its comming from i have had y waterpump done so im hoping its not that any info ? heres some pics, the first pic is where the leak is coming from there is a decent sized pool at the bottom where my belts are kind of collected on the wheel well.

See less See more
#7 ·
Not to be too critical, but those pictures don't really have the waterpump in them. They are only good enough to show that you do have coolant leaking. You will have to look up at the shaft to see if it is the pump seal or a gasket on the pump housing or the pump body to block that is leaking.

#8 ·
Yeah, those pics don't tell much. The leak is definitely in the water pump area, but it could also be a hose or thermostat, as they're all close together.

Look up at the water pump pulley, remove the splash shield first. The weep hole is right behind the pulley. It may be hard to get a good picture of, but you should be able to see it.

#9 ·
haha my bad with those pictures so i had a couple more pictures i did take that still aren't the best but ill upload them anyways just incase they catch your eye by chance, im getting under the car again tonight so i will take some better ones if i dont find the leak myself, oh and just some info i figured out that the car doesn't leak a lot till its almost at running temperature wich to me hints at the thermostat but also it starts to leak more when it is driving and then sits.. so im a little confused anyways heres the pics ill get some more tonight. oh and thank you in advance :thumbup: :)

this was after it wasn't running for awhile and i couldn't find any coolant higher then this point at the time

theres some coolant on the ride side of it if you can somehow see that haha :/

#10 · (Edited)
Based upon what I see from your last pics, I would say to check the pump to block seal. That means pulling the alt and AC compressor. You should be able to move the AC compressor and remove the acc bracket. Then you should be able to see where the leak is from. The weep hole at the pump looks dry.(In the first of the 2 pics, just above the freeze plug type thing in the pump.)

Well, upon second closer look, I could be wrong.

#13 ·
Ok so I've only had the car for about a month now so I got ahold of the previous owner and he said that prior to the pump being done 2 months ago it was also done 8-9 months ago along with the thermostat under warranty I did ask him if he ever did run G12 and he said no so its always been the green garbage running through the system ! Just some more info for you guys! Oh and I am getting it up on an actual hoist tomorrow in my auto shop so should give me more room and light to find the leak I'll take some pics aswell

#15 ·
Sooooo apperently my Gti is a bit shyy lol I woke up this morning to leave and there was no sign of leaking overnight like it usually does so I figured oh well it will leak when I start to get it up to temperature so I drive all the way to the shop and there is still no leak so didnt want to waste time getting it on the hoist with no leak I continued on driving for another 20 min or so still not a drop figured what the heck got it up in the air and no sign of leaking... so I couldn't not find the source of said leak I guess I will wait till it magically appears again and hunt it down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.