Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 106

    Thread: Brake check gone bad

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      8,526
      Vehicles
      2009 Honda Civic 2.2 i-ctdi, 2015 Kia Soul Ev
      10-05-2012 03:04 AM #1
      Not sure about what led up to a BMW driver brake checking a guy in a Pajero - but I can tell you that it didn't end up well. Not for the driver, and not for the car.

      BMW driver is now being treated in hospital for minor injuries, and the car is in an even worse state.






      flick
      r
      | My Kia Soul Ev Energy Stats

      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    2. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,957
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-05-2012 03:13 AM #2
      Brake checking as in flashing your brake lights on a tailgater? I had to do that this morning. I was on the left side lane, limit 60 km/h, I was doing indicated 68 with the cruise on and very slowly passing another car on the right side lane. This truck behind me was about a meter from my rear bumper trying to make me go out of the way.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    3. Member paradigmGT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2004
      Location
      Toronto, ON
      Posts
      3,101
      Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      10-05-2012 03:23 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Brake checking as in flashing your brake lights on a tailgater? I had to do that this morning. I was on the left side lane, limit 60 km/h, I was doing indicated 68 with the cruise on and very slowly passing another car on the right side lane. This truck behind me was about a meter from my rear bumper trying to make me go out of the way.
      Why didn't you attempt to get off cruise and pass the other car more quickly?
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

    4. Member stascom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2009
      Location
      So. Oregon
      Posts
      5,437
      Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-05-2012 03:26 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      Why didn't you attempt to get off cruise and pass the other car more quickly?
      That would be inconvenient

    5. Member unimogken's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      South of Jazzydub, WA
      Posts
      5,386
      Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      10-05-2012 03:39 AM #5
      Left lane campers should DIAF!
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

      Someone buy my car already!!

      Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

    6. Member mellbergVWfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2008
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      9,741
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      10-05-2012 04:01 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by LAVRENTY View Post
      Hi everyone!!! i want to talk about This accident Not sure about what led up to a BMW driver brake checking a guy in a Pajero - but I can tell you that it didn't end up well. Not for the driver, and not for the car.
      Go away spammer.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

    7. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      31,978
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-05-2012 04:03 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      Go away spammer.
      I've read all 5 posts so far. Seems legit.

      Engrish might be a second language though.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

      Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    8. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,957
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-05-2012 04:09 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      Why didn't you attempt to get off cruise and pass the other car more quickly?
      Because I'm the one doing the limit and don't want to burn any more gas just to give way for someone who wants to speed. Also because the left lane is not an overtaking lane but an equal lane with the right one. I won't be on the left lane, though, if there's space for me on the right lane.
      Last edited by Son; 10-05-2012 at 04:12 AM.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    9. Member mellbergVWfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2008
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      9,741
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      10-05-2012 04:11 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I've read all 5 posts so far. Seems legit.

      Engrish might be a second language though.
      It's a trap.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,483
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-05-2012 04:52 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      Why didn't you attempt to get off cruise and pass the other car more quickly?
      How about being less of a dbag and wait behind the person that's already speeding and passing.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    11. Member Activ8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ann Arbor, MI
      Posts
      335
      Vehicles
      2006 Lancer Evo 9, 2000 Honda Prelude
      10-05-2012 08:22 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      Why didn't you attempt to get off cruise and pass the other car more quickly?
      ...coz like all morons he was hogging the fast lane to pass at 0.000001mph faster than the guy in the slow lane, but couldn't wait to try before the much faster truck had passed him.
      It's difficult enough for truck drivers out there trying to make deliveries in their restricted working hour days and all kinds of pesty cars cutting them and getting in front of them while under braking because there's a 'gap' to the nxt and so on. It's also difficult to speed up a truck after braking or going uphill and it's a tough job really to manouvre that large a vehicle constantly buffeted by crosswinds. But morons will not learn .... and they even have the gall to expect sympathy!

      We got plenty such in the Detroit metro area too, sadly

    12. Banned SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,876
      10-05-2012 08:30 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Brake checking as in flashing your brake lights on a tailgater? I had to do that this morning. I was on the left side lane, limit 60 km/h, I was doing indicated 68 with the cruise on and very slowly passing another car on the right side lane. This truck behind me was about a meter from my rear bumper trying to make me go out of the way.


      Step 1: Cancel the cruise control, or just press the gas.
      Step 2: Pass car in slow lane at a rate faster than .001 MPH
      Step 3: Get in slow lane
      Step 4: Allow truck behind you that wants to go faster to pass you

      Stop being the left lane hog that only serves to create traffic. It's the idiots like you that do this sort of thing in an 18-wheeler and back traffic up for a mile. Can't say that I would highly recommend aggressive driving such as brake checking, either.

    13. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,957
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-05-2012 08:33 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
      ...coz like all morons he was hogging the fast lane to pass at 0.000001mph faster than the guy in the slow lane, but couldn't wait to try before the much faster truck had passed him.
      They're not the fast lane or the slow lane. Two equal lanes with the same speed limit. And guess what, if you ask the police or check the law book, I was the one doing it right. OK, sure, my speed was about 2-3 km/h over the limit there. Also, I didn't "try" passing, I was already on the left lane with the right lane full of cars. There were cars in front of me but after passing the speed camera everyone in front of me started speeding. This guy in the truck behind me wanted to do the same, but as I was doing the limit and couldn't move over to the right lane, he was just pissed that I was "blocking the lane".

      Here's a simple question: Why should I burn more expensive fuel and risk getting a ticket just because someone else wants to break the law?

      Gotta love it how something someone did on the other side of the world gets people so worked up here.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    14. Banned SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,876
      10-05-2012 08:39 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Gotta love it how something someone did on the other side of the world gets people so worked up here.
      Because in America, there are an abundance of idiots that pull this crap everyday.

    15. Member Calcvictim's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2011
      Location
      most likely at work
      Posts
      853
      Vehicles
      2006 HairDresserMobile
      10-05-2012 08:40 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      They're not the fast lane or the slow lane. Two equal lanes with the same speed limit. And guess what, if you ask the police or check the law book, I was the one doing it right. OK, sure, my speed was about 2-3 km/h over the limit there. Also, I didn't "try" passing, I was already on the left lane with the right lane full of cars. There were cars in front of me but after passing the speed camera everyone in front of me started speeding. This guy in the truck behind me wanted to do the same, but as I was doing the limit and couldn't move over to the right lane, he was just pissed that I was "blocking the lane".

      Here's a simple question: Why should I burn more expensive fuel and risk getting a ticket just because someone else wants to break the law?

      Gotta love it how something someone did on the other side of the world gets people so worked up here.
      how do you say douchebag in Finnish

    16. 10-05-2012 08:50 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Because I'm the one doing the limit and don't want to burn any more gas just to give way for someone who wants to speed. Also because the left lane is not an overtaking lane but an equal lane with the right one. I won't be on the left lane, though, if there's space for me on the right lane.
      That might fly where you are from but if that was on my commute....GTFOOMY!

      Really? 8km/h over the limit is as fast as you can handle going? That difference in speed in MPH would be unnoticed. The difference in fuel consumption if you speed up and let the dude pass will be absolutely insignificant.

      Obvious troll is obvious.
      Last edited by vwgtiIII; 10-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.

    17. 10-05-2012 08:53 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Brake checking as in flashing your brake lights on a tailgater? I had to do that this morning. I was on the left side lane, limit 60 km/h, I was doing indicated 68 with the cruise on and very slowly passing another car on the right side lane. This truck behind me was about a meter from my rear bumper trying to make me go out of the way.

    18. Member dieselraver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2007
      Location
      Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Posts
      12,242
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      10-05-2012 08:54 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Because I'm the one doing the limit and don't want to burn any more gas just to give way for someone who wants to speed. Also because the left lane is not an overtaking lane but an equal lane with the right one. I won't be on the left lane, though, if there's space for me on the right lane.

      you're an idiot.

      unles you live in England, Africa and other various countries where the Left lane is the right lane the innermost lane is always the passing lane. doesn't matter what country it is. in England the same applies. so if you were driving in the left lane of a 4 lane roadway you were in the wrong.

    19. Member TM87's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2008
      Location
      Windsor CT
      Posts
      11,665
      Vehicles
      VW
      10-05-2012 08:59 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      They're not the fast lane or the slow lane. Two equal lanes with the same speed limit. And guess what, if you ask the police or check the law book, I was the one doing it right. OK, sure, my speed was about 2-3 km/h over the limit there. Also, I didn't "try" passing, I was already on the left lane with the right lane full of cars. There were cars in front of me but after passing the speed camera everyone in front of me started speeding. This guy in the truck behind me wanted to do the same, but as I was doing the limit and couldn't move over to the right lane, he was just pissed that I was "blocking the lane".

      Here's a simple question: Why should I burn more expensive fuel and risk getting a ticket just because someone else wants to break the law?

      Gotta love it how something someone did on the other side of the world gets people so worked up here.
      Yes we get ,you are an azzhole. I guess Finland isn't immune to idiots as we hoped.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

    20. Member Egz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      16,485
      Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      10-05-2012 09:08 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Here's a simple question: Why should I burn more expensive fuel and risk getting a ticket just because someone else wants to break the law?
      Because you won't burn any noticeble more fuel for getting out of one's way. And if you are that paranoid about getting a ticket, slow down and get in the other lane.

      Its called golden rule. If you were stuck behind someone in the lane going 10 under the limit, you would expect them to move out of your way. Do the same for other people. Blocking traffic just makes you a misanthrope.

    21. Banned justanotherusername's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2007
      Location
      Palm Beach, FL
      Posts
      25,985
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-05-2012 09:11 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiIII View Post
      That might fly where you are from but if that was on my commute....GTFOOMY!

      Really? 8km/h over the limit is as fast as you can handle going? That difference in speed in MPH would be unnoticed. The difference in fuel consumption if you speed up and let the dude pass will be absolutely insignificant.

      Obvious troll is obvious.
      While I presonally would speed up and go around, it still doesn't give you the right to tailgate.

    22. Member crushed20th's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      475
      Vehicles
      2005 Escape, 2005 Mustang, 1995 Mustang
      10-05-2012 09:21 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Gotta love it how something someone did on the other side of the world gets people so worked up here.
      You are the morning commute ruiner. The one I desperately try to get around at the toll booth every morning. You are the one that gets on the turnpike thinking its ok to go 68 in the left lane. It's not ok, not even a little bit ok.
      Quote Originally Posted by VierSpeed View Post
      I can't believe you think it's worth compromising the spreadability of cream cheese just for 'mad stance.'

      You've ruined that bagel.
      Eple. RIP Miata 6/15/13

    23. Member GroovOn-SLC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2003
      Location
      Titletown WI
      Posts
      890
      Vehicles
      93 Corrado & Band Van
      10-05-2012 10:24 AM #23
      Here's a very simple concept that should be taught on day 1 of driver's ed.

      If you're impeding traffic, in any way, move over and get out of the way.

      Rule 2: If you're in the left lane and any vehicle is within 8 car lengths behind you, move over when prudent. Watch for fast approaching cars.

      With the amount of speed disparity I see daily, most 'slower' drivers will maintain the left lane in a train to avoid getting caught behind that slightly slower car they can see 300 yards in front.

      I fail to see the logic in driving bumper to bumper in a train (visibility anyone?) versus taking that wide open right lane and maybe approaching another car and getting 'trapped' behind them.

    24. Member McBanagon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2010
      Location
      Northern part of the Virginia
      Posts
      10,775
      Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-05-2012 10:40 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      I was doing 68 in a 60 with the cruise on and very slowly passing another car on the right side lane. This truck behind me was about a meter from my rear bumper trying to make me go out of the way.
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      Left lane campers should DIAF!
      That's not camping.
      Last edited by McBanagon; 10-05-2012 at 10:42 AM.

    25. Banned SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,876
      10-05-2012 10:41 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      That's not camping.
      "very slowly passing another car"


    26. Banned justanotherusername's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2007
      Location
      Palm Beach, FL
      Posts
      25,985
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-05-2012 10:42 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      That's not camping.
      Never let the facts get in the way of a good internet dog pile!

    27. Member 1Point8TDan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 4th, 2003
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      8,353
      Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      10-05-2012 10:54 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Here's a simple question: Why should I burn more expensive fuel and risk getting a ticket just because someone else wants to break the law?
      Then why don't you stay in the right lane right on someones ass to conserve more fuel, not risk getting ticketed, and not annoy others who have better places to be than behind a slow poke?

    28. Member McBanagon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2010
      Location
      Northern part of the Virginia
      Posts
      10,775
      Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-05-2012 10:56 AM #28

    29. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      29,028
      Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      10-05-2012 10:58 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      how do you say douchebag in Finnish
      veto laskay hintay (sp?)

      Larry

      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

    30. Member dieselraver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2007
      Location
      Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Posts
      12,242
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      10-05-2012 11:02 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post


      Problem Officer?

    31. Member sortadelux's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2011
      Location
      Washington
      Posts
      423
      Vehicles
      e320 wagon, anti-status symbol
      10-05-2012 11:10 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Brake checking as in flashing your brake lights on a tailgater? I had to do that this morning. I was on the left side lane, limit 60 km/h, I was doing indicated 68 with the cruise on and very slowly passing another car on the right side lane. This truck behind me was about a meter from my rear bumper trying to make me go out of the way.
      Wow, there are some angry people in here today!

      As an aggressive driving, always late constant commuter you guys need to calm down. This guy is already exceeding the speed limit and you think he needs to go faster because you planned your day poorly? PIssed off because he is inconsiderate? How about you, who think you dictate the flow of every one elses traffic.

      I lane hop, I speed (10 over is about my max though) and I get frustrated but I don't tailgate and I dont break check. Those are two things that can quickly ruin my car and endanger my family.
      "Never attribute to maliciousness that which can be attributed to stupidity."

    32. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      23,768
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      10-05-2012 11:12 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      Why didn't you attempt to get off cruise and pass the other car more quickly?
      because he was already speeding, and two wrongs make a right.



      if you are in the passing lane, actively passing, and already breaking the law by speeding to make that pass more quickly....

      why is is my responsibility to go EVEN FASTER just to get out of YOUR ***hole way?

      oh wait.

      its not.

      epitome
      my money hero - Mr. Money Mustache/

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    33. Member clutchrider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2010
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      4,703
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-05-2012 11:13 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by sortadelux View Post
      Wow, there are some angry people in here today!

      As an aggressive driving, always late constant commuter you guys need to calm down. This guy is already exceeding the speed limit and you think he needs to go faster because you planned your day poorly? PIssed off because he is inconsiderate? How about you, who think you dictate the flow of every one elses traffic.

      I lane hop, I speed (10 over is about my max though) and I get frustrated but I don't tailgate and I dont break check. Those are two things that can quickly ruin my car and endanger my family.
      I think the issue that people are arguing is more to do with he was in the left lane the whole time. He said he didn't move over to pass someone, he was there already and passing people on the right slowly (admitted). So if you are in the left lane and see someone approaching at a higher rate of speed do you sit there and play lane patrol or do you either slide in behind or in front of the car in the right lane safely? My judgement would be to increase speed, pass car on right, signal my intent as I am doing the pass and then move. 99% of the time the person coming up behind will either keep distance or back off since they know what your intent is.

      Of course I rarely encounter this because I don't get passed, I'm typically the passer.

    34. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      23,768
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      10-05-2012 11:14 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      Left lane campers should DIAF!
      yes they do.

      but the guy doing 68 and in 60 passing someone on the right in the left lane is not a camper.
      epitome
      my money hero - Mr. Money Mustache/

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    35. Member mraguilar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2004
      Posts
      3,272
      Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      10-05-2012 11:17 AM #35
      Similar thing happens here, there are 2 lane way between cities and the limit is 80Km/h and some stretches it is 100, however, the right side is most of the times packed with slow cars and heavy trucks during normal days (even weekends) . your only option is to take the left side, which I usually do around 110 or 120 Km/h. Going the right side is not an option, but there's always a moron doing 140+ that thinks the left side is only for him, and keeps flashing high beams to others in the left. (mostly high end cars and mk4s , rarely truckers)

      I usually dont yield those guys until I see a clear in the right side to safely switch lanes and slow down to that lane speed. I kind of support the OP.

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •