Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brake check gone bad

Vehicles
      1989 VW GLI Helios,E34,E30 & E36 cabrio
      10-05-2012 01:07 PM #76
      Everyone is usually in a Big F#%king hurry to get nowhere fast. I just dont understand it. Where are you morons going that you have to get there so quickly. Driving fast is fun on a track or when no other cars are around,but I rarely do that anymore. I think Brooks said it best in the Shawshank Redemption. "The world went and got itself in a Big Damn hurry" and for what reason? Hasn't anyone else noticed that the idiot racing everyone else between stop lights never gets there any faster than if you just drive smoothly and be courteous? Maybe Im just getting Old.

2. 10-05-2012 01:18 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by WERDNA75 View Post
      Everyone is usually in a Big F#%king hurry to get nowhere fast. I just dont understand it. Where are you morons going that you have to get there so quickly. Driving fast is fun on a track or when no other cars are around,but I rarely do that anymore. I think Brooks said it best in the Shawshank Redemption. "The world went and got itself in a Big Damn hurry" and for what reason? Hasn't anyone else noticed that the idiot racing everyone else between stop lights never gets there any faster than if you just drive smoothly and be courteous? Maybe Im just getting Old.
      The problem we, or at least most of us, are talking about is people on the highway/freeway/etc that will not move over to let faster traffic pass.
      A big problem for me is the State has been raising the speed limits around me but people do not pay attention to the new signs, so we have people in the left lane doing 75mph(thinking they are speeding) when the limit is actually 80mph. Or people still doing 65mph when the new signs say 75mph.
      The light down the road from me is also a pain. When leaving the neighborhood at the light, by the time you make it to the next light it is red. But if you drive with a little vigor, you can make it before it turns yellow. Then the following lights seem to be sync for those people, at least in the mornings. I hit more lights when they are red or turning red if I get stopped at that first red light, but if I can make it through that light I tend to hit the other lights while they are green.
      I tend to only drive +10% of the posted limit or at the limit(depending on where I am).

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      10-05-2012 01:19 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by WERDNA75 View Post
      Indeed,

Also, from experience, those guys that passed you at ZOOOM speed on the highway, you'll be reaching them at the first lights when entering the city limits, or even passing them because they got into the 7-eleven buying snacks, so I agree, there's no reason for haul-ass just because.

10-05-2012 01:44 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      yes they do.

but the guy doing 68 and in 60 passing someone on the right in the left lane is not a camper.
      Agreed.

Plus everyone in here is bashing on a European. Not the same rules of the road...
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      2014 Volvo XC90 D4
      10-05-2012 02:33 PM #80
      Cause it's such a great idea to be rubbing bumpers with the car in front of you when you're driving a truck, right? Given the location, we're not talking about a Tacoma here, but something heavy. Mass, brakes, physics, etc.

Living in a city with the largest port of Scandinavia, I'm fed up with these crappy truck drivers and their wreckless driving. It's really exploded since they expanded the European Union east - just watch the statistics. It is, beyond all sense.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      10-05-2012 03:09 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Agreed.

Plus everyone in here is bashing on a European. Not the same rules of the road...
      Rules of the road or not, it's a rule of thumb at the very least that you pass on the left (in countries with LHD at least).

It's also just common courtesy to get your passing maneuver over with and get back in the right lane. What's the point of pulling into the left lane if you're only going marginally faster than the guy sitting next to you in the right? Do the other drivers on the road a favour and just stay behind the guy in the right lane if that's the case.

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '02 Passat wagon & lots of MCs and shtuff...
      10-05-2012 03:56 PM #82
      Personally, I think it all boils down to people thinking they themselves waiting while someone going faster gets around them is more important than causing someone else to have to wait on you.

In other words, being self-centered is global.
      A known "hiveminder".

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-05-2012 04:18 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Personally, I think it all boils down to people thinking they themselves waiting while someone going faster gets around them is more important than causing someone else to have to wait on you.

In other words, being self-centered is global.
      I'm imagining two bros trying to walk through the same doorway from opposite sides. One thinks the other should move to the side and let them through and vice-versa. Before you know it, the door has been open for 30 minutes and they are both still standing there arguing about who should yield.

Little do they know that if they both took a second to share the doorway, they would have just passed through the door and been on their way.

Vehicles
      06 STI / 04 FXT
      10-05-2012 04:27 PM #84
      It is common courtesy...

I try to drive it in a way such that myself and others have to use minimal braking, be it cruising, passing, merging or just squatting in traffic. If you are in the left lane, you should be passing with a good bit of speed differential, and THEN moving right back into the right lane. If someone is closing on you while you are doing that, gas more it to pass the vehicle on the right faster. If you spot police ahead or are uncomfortable with going faster, signal first and then slow down to get behind the car you were trying to pass, and then try again later when no one is behind. If you signaled first then got back into right lane at a slower pace most people wouldn't give you crap since they know you were trying to get out of their way.

This is exactly why no other nation but Germany can have autobahn with unlimited speed limit. Nobody else has this dialed in perfectly as well as Germany does. (even rest of the Europe doesn't)
      06 STI, 6MT
      04 FXT, 5MT

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-05-2012 04:32 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      I think the issue that people are arguing is more to do with he was in the left lane the whole time.
      Did you see the situation this morning? Again, the right lane was full, I was on the left lane, which at first was moving only a bit faster than the right lane. Then when the traffic passed a speed camera, the left lane in front of me started speeding and there was still no room for me right there to move to the right lane. I would've had to accelerate to get to the next free spot on the right lane. Yeah, if I'm the one who's obeying the law and you're behind me and want others in front of you to break the law just because your speeding is going to get you to your destination 30 seconds sooner, then sorry, tailgating me isn't gonna work.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

Vehicles
      2010 Audi A4 Quattro, 6MT (Ibis White)
      10-05-2012 04:56 PM #86
      on the B8 A4 they have dual rear fog. Rather than actually brake checking by tapping the brakes, I usually just flash the rear fogs to imitate hard braking. Most people cant' tell the difference and back off immediately
      This isn't your normal skyline. This motherfcker is the skyline God would drive if he wasn't busy doing God sh*t like making tsunamis and crap. Its set up to go fast, and go fast sideways. Who doesn't like to get sideway?! Terrorists, thats who. Are you a terrorist? No? Then you need this car.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Kia Soul Ev, 2009 Citroën C1, 2001 Lotus Elise S2
      10-05-2012 05:02 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Ohhhhh. I read it wrong. OP would NOT accelerate to complete the pass?

Yeah...OPs a douche.
      Hey! I'll have none of that!

flick
      r
      | My Kia Soul Ev Energy Stats

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      VW
      10-05-2012 05:14 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      I guess this all falls on how you define the word "obstructing."

If car A pulls out to pass car B (at +5mph) and car C (traveling at +15mph) has to lift until car A completes the pass, is car A "obstructing" traffic, or "just annoying one guy for 10-30 seconds"?

I would have a hard time believing that would be the officer's definition of "obstructing."
      He was not passing. He was constantly driving in the left lane doing 68kmp. He is an azzhole who obstructs the flow of traffic.
      If I'm doing 80mph in left lane, and I notice a car fast approaching I speed up and move to the right as soon as I can. I don't care where he is going and why. I get the F out of the way. Not sure how is that hard to understand.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 05:19 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by maverickar15 View Post
      It is common courtesy...
      And that, along with sense, isn't very common anymore.

Misery definitely loves company though because I feel a bit better knowing many other countries have their own version of Jersey Shore and now, even Ohio's notorious left-lane campers. And as a lifelong (40 years and rolling) Ohioan who's traveled through many of our States, I know I'm getting closer to home when the left-lane campers get thicker and thicker until, BOOM, all progress stops and at least 3 lanes are traveling within .75 of a mph of each other. "Ahhh, sweet home Ohio".
      A known "hiveminder".

Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr CSG
      10-05-2012 05:21 PM #90
      The main issue is that there are too many US drivers that either (1) have zero situational awareness and/or common courtesy; or (2) decide they are traffic speed regulators. Mainly the former.

Keep right, except to pass. Monitor what is going on behind you...constantly. If you are passing, get'er done and move over.

Give the OP some relief since he lives in a country with speed cameras. I lived in Switzerland for a while...the land of many rules and speed cameras. The tolerance of Swiss speed cameras is typically 5 kph/3mph....and I had more than a few tickets proving this.
      Last edited by Lujess; 10-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.

2013 4 Door R - CSG

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 05:23 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      He was not passing. He was constantly driving in the left lane doing 68kmp. He is an azzhole who obstructs the flow of traffic.
      If I'm doing 80mph in left lane, and I notice a car fast approaching I speed up and move to the right as soon as I can. I don't care where he is going and why. I get the F out of the way. Not sure how is that hard to understand.
      Exactly. Who's to say, besides the law, what one person's idea of "fast enough" is? I can cruise at ~ 75-85 on most Ohio Interstates and be safe if traffic is light-ish. Some say that's insane and others call me a puss. Toe-mate-toe, toe-mah-toe.
      A known "hiveminder".

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-05-2012 05:25 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Brake checking as in flashing your brake lights on a tailgater? I had to do that this morning. I was on the left side lane, limit 60 km/h, I was doing indicated 68 with the cruise on and very slowly passing another car on the right side lane. This truck behind me was about a meter from my rear bumper trying to make me go out of the way.

If car A pulls out to pass car B (at +5mph) and car C (traveling at +15mph) has to lift until car A completes the pass, is car A "obstructing" traffic, or "just annoying one guy for 10-30 seconds"?

I would have a hard time believing that would be the officer's definition of "obstructing."
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      Seems we have a different definition of "passing," too.

18. 10-05-2012 05:32 PM #93
      I limit myself to 40 over the limit, but if I see someone behind me going faster, I smile, change lanes, and wish him a merry commute, because he's got balls, as they impound your car for 7 days, a 395$ ticket and 6 points on your license for 40 over.

Vehicles
      2000 Lexus LS400, 2010 Jetta 2.5L
      10-05-2012 05:44 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Excathedra View Post
      Living in a city with the largest port of Scandinavia, I'm fed up with these crappy truck drivers and their wreckless driving. It's really exploded since they expanded the European Union east - just watch the statistics. It is, beyond all sense.
      Right...because no swedish truck driver will EVER drive in a reckless maner.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU9XJoSh9zQ

No but seriously, Eastern European drivers are pretty bad. I was born there and I hate driving around there everytime I visit.
      *****AMBER CluB*****
      Volkswagen Audi Group In North America

Vehicles
      2014 Volvo XC90 D4
      10-05-2012 06:12 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by sebasEuRo View Post
      Right...because no swedish truck driver will EVER drive in a reckless maner.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU9XJoSh9zQ

No but seriously, Eastern European drivers are pretty bad. I was born there and I hate driving around there everytime I visit.
      It is, in general, wrong to cathegorize in the maner I just did. But we are more talking about the conditions, the chances they are given to do a good job. They usually travel with trucks that are not well suited to true winter climate, in combination with a tight schedule and questionable judgement from the drivers involved.

Now culturally, lets take former Yugoslavia for instance, where driving a bus, truck or whatever, was seen as a rather high status job as you were responsible for equipment of high value. That was honorable and something good. But now, the things you see.

Vehicles
      2000 Lexus LS400, 2010 Jetta 2.5L
      10-05-2012 06:23 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Excathedra View Post
      It is, in general, wrong to cathegorize in the maner I just did. But we are more talking about the conditions, the chances they are given to do a good job. They usually travel with trucks that are not well suited to true winter climate, in combination with a tight schedule and questionable judgement from the drivers involved.

Now culturally, lets take former Yugoslavia for instance, where driving a bus, truck or whatever, was seen as a rather high status job as you were responsible for equipment of high value. That was honorable and something good. But now, the things you see.

Correct. My grandfather used to drive a public bus back in Romania, quite a while ago and he was very well respected and everyone knew him. Nowadays, there are so many transport companies and everyone is trying to save the most amount of money so that they pocket most of the rest, that it leaves the driver without much support and most of the time with a POS to drive.
      *****AMBER CluB*****
      Volkswagen Audi Group In North America

Vehicles
      1970 Karmann Ghia, Mk2 Diesel Beast
      10-05-2012 06:34 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Because I'm the one doing the limit and don't want to burn any more gas just to give way for someone who wants to speed. Also because the left lane is not an overtaking lane but an equal lane with the right one. I won't be on the left lane, though, if there's space for me on the right lane.
      I hate you and everyone who drives like you
      Pelican club VIP

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Kia Soul Ev, 2009 Citroën C1, 2001 Lotus Elise S2
      10-05-2012 06:49 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Exactly. Who's to say, besides the law, what one person's idea of "fast enough" is? I can cruise at ~ 75-85 on most Ohio Interstates and be safe if traffic is light-ish. Some say that's insane and others call me a puss. Toe-mate-toe, toe-mah-toe.
      In Norway, you'd risk a penalty for holding up traffic in the left lane. It is also, naturally, frowned upon.

flick
      r
      | My Kia Soul Ev Energy Stats

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-05-2012 07:01 PM #99

If car B was already going the speed limit, then that's just not going to happen.

As far as those saying that the person that's already passing at a speed above the limit should speed up further for the impatient dbag that wants to go much faster, I wish the cop that gave me a ticket for speeding while trying to merge into speeding traffic would have had their mentality. In the real world, speeding is speeding, even if you're getting out of the way of an elitist dbag. When you get pulled over, try telling the cop you were speeding as a courtesy. I'm sure that'll go over well.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-05-2012 07:04 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      I limit myself to 40 over the limit, but if I see someone behind me going faster, I smile, change lanes, and wish him a merry commute, because he's got balls, as they impound your car for 7 days, a 395$ ticket and 6 points on your license for 40 over.
      According to the geniuses here, you could drive behind that driver and not have to worry about anything as it'd be the guy in front that gets in trouble for obstructing, never mind that both of you are speeding.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast