You mean, UPS is AMAZING?
      This
      GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      I like grocery getters.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      10-05-2012 11:38 AM #37
      TIRE RACK, OPEN UP A CANADIAN ECOMMERCE WEBSITE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tire rack is awesome if you live in the states... once we pay taxes, shipping, duty + brokerage, it's nearly a wash.
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Audi S4 Premium Plus
      10-05-2012 11:43 AM #38
      I once bought HP All Season tires from Tire Rack. Right after I bought it online, i looked at my e-mailed invoice and saw that "It was shipped and delivered" YESTERDAY. I went outside and BEHOLD, the tires had been there the whole time. I AM AMAZED.

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      10-05-2012 11:54 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Might as well go to WalMart to get tires.
      Wal-Mart can't get me 14" Star Specs by tomorrow. Tire Rack can - and has.

Wal-Mart serves the 'I need tires, any tires, at a good price' demographic. Tire Rack helps those of us who actually care about tires. They have reviews, test data, tire weights, and other metrics. Tire Rack sponsors the Wheel & Tire subforum at Miata.net. They monitor the forum to answer questions. Tire Rack sponsors autocross. Tire Rack cares about the communities in which it is a part. Wal-Mart? Not so much. Not to mention that I can browse tires by size or vehicle and decide on what I want, rather a decision between two options given to me by the tech at Wal-Mart.

That's why I shop at Tire Rack.

10-05-2012 12:02 PM #40
      This is all fine and dandy if you're buying wheels AND tires, but if you're only buying tires to replace on the vehicle it actually cost more and is a bigger PITA to go through Tirerack. Much easier to go to local shop like Discount Tire, Les Schwab, Costco, etc.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      10-05-2012 12:04 PM #41
      it's even more fun to go there... I take the drive down to get my tires dealt with directly...

Vehicles
      '07 335i, '06 T&C, JK... JK! it's a JKU, ****brick civic
      10-05-2012 12:07 PM #42
      I've been looking at TR recently, and while they still have good deals on a lot of tires, discount has been matching or beating them on the tires I'm looking at (before price matching).

Considering I'd have to get them mounted somewhere anyway, looks like Discount is the way for me to go this time around.

8. 10-05-2012 12:26 PM #43
      Tire rack rocks.

Their on line inventory is accurate.
      They process orders quickly.
      I have recieved wheel & tire combinations mounted & balanced within a day from them.

With replacement tires, I have them shipped to the directly to the shop, and I make the appointment with the shop ahead of time. So I bring my car in a couple of days after I order the tires. Within an hour, they're mounted and I'm ready to go.

(It ain't just UPS, although they deserve some of the credit for prompt service as well).
      Last edited by bbk; 10-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-05-2012 12:32 PM #44
      Another fan. They have a warehouse in Shreveport, LA so I also get ground shipped tires the next day. Price is competitive and I have a local 'hood tire shop that will mount and balance for $60 a set. Been using them for years.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      1998 GTi VR6 Ginster
      10-05-2012 12:47 PM #45
      agreed they are awesome, ordered wheels/tires on a saturday, they were at my door Tuesday Morning.

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      10-05-2012 01:17 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Might as well go to WalMart to get tires.
      Someone drank an extra cup of stupid this morning, I take it? Wal-Mart gets versions of specific, name-brand tires made and sold cheaper than the versions sold elsewhere. Tirerack does not do this. They are not even close enough that it warrants further correcting of another moronic post of yours today.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Try to understand being offended and being right are NOT the same thing.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      10-05-2012 01:20 PM #47
      I like tire rack because discount tire will match their prices.

Our Civic needed new tires and I really like the Ecsta 4X from Kumho but discount tire was $2x more dollar a tire. Sent them a link to the tire rack page, discount tire ordered the tires had them shipped to the shop right down the street and all set.

Side note: Tire rack has great customer service too. Winter tires for the civic 1 tire was out of balance. Took it to my local tire place, they re-balanced the tire. Emailed the receipt to Tire rack, few days later check from tire rack shows up in my mailbox.

Vehicles
      '63 VW Bug, Jeep Commander, Mazda CX-5
      10-05-2012 01:34 PM #48
      I had a set of tires delivered to me BEFORE I ordered them!
      Tire Rack is amazing!
      Have a on me...

Vehicles
      MkIV R
      10-05-2012 01:43 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      This is all fine and dandy if you're buying wheels AND tires, but if you're only buying tires to replace on the vehicle it actually cost more and is a bigger PITA to go through Tirerack. Much easier to go to local shop like Discount Tire, Les Schwab, Costco, etc.
      I've done both, and it has always been simpler and more economical to get everything through Tire Rack. Granted, some of this is likely due to my location. There are none of those other chains within a 30 mile radius. There is a Walmart but, they have never had any tires in the right size in stock for any of the vehicles in my family.

There is a very close local chain that has given good service when it comes to mounting and such. I purchased one tire from them once. But even they have recommended that I order tires through Tire Rack and have them do the mounting since they can't special order sizes as quick or compete with Tire Rack's prices.

My sister needed a set of tires for her Miata last winter. It has gotten to where there are very few tires available anywhere in the right size. I shopped all the web tire places and found only a couple of tires were in stock anywhere. Tire Rack not only had the right size but the right tire. I checked the local shop since I knew they sold the same brand. They said they could order them but all their suppliers were on backorder for that particular tire. I told them I knew somewhere that had them, and told them the price. They were stunned, and told me to order from Tire Rack quick.

I have also been able to order a non-recommended size tire from them just for a test fit. I wanted to run a size that was too large for my car according to their recommendations. I read through their return policy, then called and talked with one of their cs people to confirm. He said I could purchase a single tire and have it mounted on the wheel, put it on the car, roll it around to check fitment. If it didn't fit, I could return it as long as it wasn't driven on. Of course I would have to pay return shipping but, in this case it wasn't necessary since fitment was fine. Maybe a local shop would have let me do the same thing but, this was a tire and size that no one had in stock but, I could get one from TR within 48 hours.

15. 10-05-2012 01:51 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      I once bought HP All Season tires from Tire Rack. Right after I bought it online, i looked at my e-mailed invoice and saw that "It was shipped and delivered" YESTERDAY. I went outside and BEHOLD, the tires had been there the whole time. I AM AMAZED.

16. 10-05-2012 02:00 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by subgraphic View Post
      I had a set of tires delivered to me BEFORE I ordered them!
      Tire Rack is amazing!
      ^^^

Vehicles
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      10-05-2012 02:03 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by SnowGTI2003 View Post
      They arrive up here in the great white north 3 days later. I've been using them for years and have never had an issue.
      I know they are cheaper, but what about the shipping cost and duties/tax? Still worth it?

10-05-2012 02:09 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Airy32 View Post
      I've done both, and it has always been simpler and more economical to get everything through Tire Rack. Granted, some of this is likely due to my location. There are none of those other chains within a 30 mile radius. There is a Walmart but, they have never had any tires in the right size in stock for any of the vehicles in my family.

There is a very close local chain that has given good service when it comes to mounting and such. I purchased one tire from them once. But even they have recommended that I order tires through Tire Rack and have them do the mounting since they can't special order sizes as quick or compete with Tire Rack's prices.

My sister needed a set of tires for her Miata last winter. It has gotten to where there are very few tires available anywhere in the right size. I shopped all the web tire places and found only a couple of tires were in stock anywhere. Tire Rack not only had the right size but the right tire. I checked the local shop since I knew they sold the same brand. They said they could order them but all their suppliers were on backorder for that particular tire. I told them I knew somewhere that had them, and told them the price. They were stunned, and told me to order from Tire Rack quick.

I have also been able to order a non-recommended size tire from them just for a test fit. I wanted to run a size that was too large for my car according to their recommendations. I read through their return policy, then called and talked with one of their cs people to confirm. He said I could purchase a single tire and have it mounted on the wheel, put it on the car, roll it around to check fitment. If it didn't fit, I could return it as long as it wasn't driven on. Of course I would have to pay return shipping but, in this case it wasn't necessary since fitment was fine. Maybe a local shop would have let me do the same thing but, this was a tire and size that no one had in stock but, I could get one from TR within 48 hours.
      Location has a huge impact on it. If I remember correctly there is only one or two "approved" Tirerack installers in my area. And every time I tried to order tires, have them shipped, and installed locally it turned out to take more time, energy, and money than to go to Costco or Discount Tire. Just my experience.

However, I've bought pre-mounted winter tires/wheels and it was painless. They arrived at my house and I bolted them to the car. Can do it all at home. That's VERY convenient.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      2006 V50 T5 AWD
      10-05-2012 02:14 PM #54
      just in case there isn't enough praise for tire rack, i'll add some.

i ****ing LOVE tirerack. especially now that they carry toyo tires. but even before that, i still loved them. in jersey, next day delivery from the delaware warehouse. then, they built a warehouse less than a mile down the road from my old office in CT. i would order tires with my morning coffee and pick them up at lunch.

they also enjoy giving me free stuff. lug bolts, lug nuts, hubcentric rings, and center caps for wheels i didn't even buy from them.

20. 10-05-2012 02:54 PM #55
      Somehow 1100 bucks for a set of Yokos doesn't sound like a screaming deal. And who gives a **** how quickly they ship the tires? Is this something you need NOW? The Rack now charges sales tax on top of the shipping so there's no reason to go with them. A local shop should be able to match their prices and then u still have some recourse if something goes wrong. Plus, a shop will be far less likely to scar your rims mounting tires that u bought from them than tires u brought to them purchased elsewhere. I've seen it happen. Not to mention the other free services they give u when u buy from them. Tire Rack is on borrowed time.
      Last edited by Waarp; 10-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 03:00 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      Somehow 1100 bucks for a set of Yokos doesn't sound like a screaming deal. Anbd who gives a **** how quickly they ship the tires? Is this something you need NOW? The Rack now charges sales tax on top of the shipping so there's no reason to go with them. A local shop should be able to match their prices and then u still have some recourse if something goes wrong. Plus, a shop will be far less likely to scar your rims mounting tires that u bought from them that tires u brought to them purchased elsewhere. I've seen it happen. Not to mention the other free services they give u when u buy from them. Tire Rack is on borrowed time.
      Tire Rack does not charge sales tax.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      10-05-2012 03:03 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Depends on your State. CA now charges tax on all online purchases IIRC.

If the sale originates (ships) from your state you also pay tax.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-05-2012 03:06 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Actually it would have to if the buyer lives in the same state as one of their warehouses. I, and presumably you, do not.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 03:07 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      Actually it would have to if the buyer lives in the same state as one of their warehouses. I, and presumably you, do not.
      Yep. Love living in Ohio

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      10-05-2012 03:08 PM #60
      Tire Rack is on borrowed time.
      They must have borrowed plenty, they have been in business since 1979.

26. 10-05-2012 03:17 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      Hey there's a sucker born every minute. BOSE, Subway, Armor All and Bob's Discount furniture are still in business too.
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1984 GLI 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      10-05-2012 03:17 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
      anybody remember the sale discount tire direct had a couple years ago. $100 off any 4 tires purchase and $100 off any 4 wheels purchase. They lost their ass on that sale. I bought a set for my CRX and a winter set on steelies. Saved $400 lol

Never ordered anything from Tirerack but I window shop their site every time I'm looking for wheels/tires.

Discount still does those sales, maybe once a quarter.

I switched to Discount online from Tirerack after one of those sales.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 03:22 PM #63
      Yep. Here's one of the first TireRack tire order screens:

29. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 03:27 PM #64
      Hey there's a sucker born every minute. BOSE, Subway, Armor All and Bob's Discount furniture are still in business too.
      And those are all great and very popular brands. So, what?

30. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      10-05-2012 03:29 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by SnowGTI2003 View Post
      They arrive up here in the great white north 3 days later. I've been using them for years and have never had an issue.
      Tirerack is expensive for us Canadians. I deal with www.simplytire.com in Toronto. Always found them cheaper

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      10-05-2012 03:53 PM #66
      A local shop should be able to match their prices and then u still have some recourse if something goes wrong.
      Most locals CANNOT match Tirerack's pricing because Tirerack buys so much more, they get huge discounts. Most locals can't match Tirerack's prices even after ordering from Tirerack and putting a markup on the order compared to what the locals have in stock already.

Your anecdotal musings don't match up to what people in the tire industry know and live every single day.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Try to understand being offended and being right are NOT the same thing.

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      10-05-2012 04:18 PM #67
      Unlike all of those Tire Rack isn't a brand that markets and sells only their products. They are a volume reseller that also offers testing services and data from past customers.

I'm not sure how anyone would be considered a "sucker" because they buy tires from Tire Rack.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-05-2012 04:22 PM #68
      Got any fresh pics of your diet caffeine free Porsche? I know I would love to see them.
      I'm sorry but that's pretty funny.

34. 10-05-2012 04:26 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Most locals CANNOT match Tirerack's pricing because Tirerack buys so much more, they get huge discounts.:
      Oh you're so naive. Mine can. So if you are to be believed then thats why people still order from the Rack. Even if local was a bit more I'd still go with them because of all the stuff I mentioned.

I think most of you are too young to see that the mom and pop places rule and that big box corp america never shoulda taken over this country. Don't worry, you'll get the picture in 15 yrs or so.

In the meantime, I'm awaiting the next story of the guy who saved 50 bucks on mail ordering tires but had his rims scarred during installation...

I'll also prove everybody wrong by being the first RX8 to hit 100K without ANYTHING going awry.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 04:36 PM #70

I'll also prove everybody wrong by being the first RX8 to hit 100K without ANYTHING going awry.
      Now you're just being ridiculous.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast