VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TireRack is AMAZING

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-05-2012 04:39 PM #71
      I'd be pissed if ANY shop dinged my rim while mounting a tire. If they agree/offer to mount my tire, then they should take the care to do it right. And so far (knock on wood) I've never had any incidents in a tire shop in almost 30 years of buying tires.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 04:48 PM #72
      Just for giggles, here's a side-by-side comparison between what I paid at TireRack versus DiscountTire (which lots of people have suggested as an option to TR) for the same tires.

Notice how much cheaper TireRack is.

TIRERACK:

And DISCOUNT TIRE:

Vehicles
      car
      10-05-2012 04:55 PM #73
      I've ordered tires, brakes, suspension, bulbs, and alignment stuff from Tire Rack and I'll keep doing it.
      I wish I had a cool car.

Vehicles
      WRB ZC6L
      10-05-2012 04:56 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      Plus, a shop will be far less likely to scar your rims mounting tires that u bought from them than tires u brought to them purchased elsewhere. I've seen it happen.
      If a shop treats me differently because I bought the tires from TR (especially if they're a TR-approved vendor), then that shop isn't worth a **** and won't get another dime from me.

Given your attitude in this thread, I'm guessing you run/work at a tire shop. If this is how you treat your customers, I'd say YOUR shop is the one on borrowed time.
      14 torque-less wonder | 08 sorority special | seventwosix | flickr

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1984 GLI 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      10-05-2012 04:58 PM #75
      Pays to shop around, and if using DTD to wait for the $100 off sale.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      10-05-2012 04:59 PM #76
      Is Waarp a new golf strom alias?

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      10-05-2012 05:10 PM #77
      Oh you're so naive. Mine can. So if you are to be believed then thats why people still order from the Rack. Even if local was a bit more I'd still go with them because of all the stuff I mentioned.

I think most of you are too young to see that the mom and pop places rule and that big box corp america never shoulda taken over this country. Don't worry, you'll get the picture in 15 yrs or so.

In the meantime, I'm awaiting the next story of the guy who saved 50 bucks on mail ordering tires but had his rims scarred during installation...
      I'm so naive because my best-friend owns a "mom and pop" tire place and he orders all of my tires through the 'rack. Along with his entire family, my wife and father, etc..

And I have to wait until I'm 55 years old to figure this stuff out? Ok, but that seems old to me. /40 year old laughing at your know-it-allness.

See above where over $200.00 was saved.

Real world proof> your anecdotes pulled from your nether-regions.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Try to understand being offended and being right are NOT the same thing.

10-05-2012 05:35 PM #78
      i just paid for new tires 20 minutes ago. the first place i went, obviously, was tirerack.com. indispensable resource. like crutchfield when i was younger for car stereo.

i would have bought from them too. except a local shop mounted, balanced, and provided roadhazard replacement insurance for the exact tires for less than the cost than it would have been to simply order and ship the tires from TR.

i was very surprised by this. i have bought at least 16 tires from TR and would do so again. they are a quality outfit. in fact, ntb is currently running a buy two get two special, and i STILL did better with the local shop. maybe i just got lucky. maybe it's because the owner is running for mayor, i dunno. still, it feels good to support local shops sometimes.

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      10-05-2012 05:45 PM #79
      I've ordered multiple sets of tires from tire rack and have a local mom and pop shop do the installation. I've asked if they mind this kind of thing and they are delighted to perform the service. As they said, "after all, that's why we're on the approved installer list! Besides, once we get people in here for tires they usually wind up coming back for other stuff too!"

I've even entrusted them with my BBS RSII three piece wheels and they did a flawless installation.

Autodyne in Beverly MA, if anybody is interested.
      --Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

10. 10-05-2012 06:44 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      I'm so naive because my best-friend owns a "mom and pop" tire place and he orders all of my tires through the 'rack. Along with his entire family, my wife and father, etc..

And I have to wait until I'm 55 years old to figure this stuff out? Ok, but that seems old to me. /40 year old laughing at your know-it-allness.

See above where over $200.00 was saved.

Real world proof> your anecdotes pulled from your nether-regions.
      Nice try. The Tire Rack one doesnt even include tax or mounting and balancing. You idiots deserve each other.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 06:51 PM #81
      Nice try. The Tire Rack one doesnt even include tax or mounting and balancing. You idiots deserve each other.
      Like I said before, i don't pay tax on TireRack orders. But I would have to pay tax from any local establishment.

And you can see I added in the mount and balance costs (red text). But its only $52.

So the substantial price savings still stands. Though it ends up actually being about $150 savings, not the "over 200" suggested above.

12. 10-05-2012 07:02 PM #82
      Not sure where your hate is coming from but, I've yet to find a shop that can offer tires I want to buy VS. tires they want gone and come out cheaper than Tire Rack. I've ordered at least 10 x from Tire Rack and will continue to do so as their service is something each business should strive for.

I've also been using my local mom and pop tire place without any hiccups when it comes to mounting tires. I mount fresh tires every spring. During more eventful year such as this one I go through 2 sets of tires Local shops loves me for this as I am their most repetitive customer and I've been coming back to them for years. If they would treat me like a a*shole because I didn't buy the tires from them, you can bet your money they would never see me again.

13. 10-05-2012 07:44 PM #83
      I ate a huge steak yesterday and it came back out moments ago.

More amazing than a guy driving a truck if you ask me.
      No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-05-2012 08:18 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      I ate a huge steak yesterday and it came back out moments ago.
      Picture with a bagel on it or it doesn't exist.

15. 10-05-2012 10:12 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      If a shop treats me differently because I bought the tires from TR (especially if they're a TR-approved vendor), then that shop isn't worth a **** and won't get another dime from me.

Given your attitude in this thread, I'm guessing you run/work at a tire shop. If this is how you treat your customers, I'd say YOUR shop is the one on borrowed time.
      tire rack has a commercial line that sells even cheaper to tire shops

so my understanding is that yes a tire shop can be competitive with tire rack and still make money
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      10-05-2012 11:40 PM #86
      Wow a supplier one state over sent a set of tires within a day??Definitely worthy of a thread...

What a ****ing loser

17. Member
      10-06-2012 08:35 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      That's almost less time than it takes to go to a local shop
      I get the smiley face here, but I see a lot of people giving you crap over the 1 day thing. I went to Canadian Tire a few weeks ago when I needed a new set. First asked about the model on sale. 2 weeks+ Ok, then asked about 5 more tires. 2+weeks to deliver. I am in one of the largest cities in the country! I could not find a local shop that could get me ANY name brand tire installed within 4 days unless I could leave the car every day, and they still would not promise it.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      10-06-2012 08:54 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by bigev007 View Post
      I get the smiley face here, but I see a lot of people giving you crap over the 1 day thing. I went to Canadian Tire a few weeks ago when I needed a new set. First asked about the model on sale. 2 weeks+ Ok, then asked about 5 more tires. 2+weeks to deliver. I am in one of the largest cities in the country! I could not find a local shop that could get me ANY name brand tire installed within 4 days unless I could leave the car every day, and they still would not promise it.
      Go to Costco.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-06-2012 09:02 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Wow a supplier one state over sent a set of tires within a day??Definitely worthy of a thread...

What a ****ing loser
      You people are SO cranky

20. Banned
      10-06-2012 09:06 AM #90
      I see no point to ordering tires from Tire Rack. I needed 2 Goodyear Eagle RS-A for a car I bought to re-sell. Tire Rack had them for $86 each. When I added in shipping of $26.30. Total, $198.30. Then, I have to pay to have the tires mounted and balanced, probabally what, $20-$40? So no i'm at $218.30-$238.30 and I have to F around. Called a shop I do business with locally, told me $248 out the door. WOW! I could have F'ed around to save a whole $10 and waited for my tires. AWESOME

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      10-06-2012 09:17 AM #91
      You people are SO cranky
      Or drunk as in my case..

10-06-2012 09:21 AM #92
      WOW! I could have F'ed around to save a whole $10 and waited for my tires. AWESOME
      exactly.

also, as above, tire rack does business with local shops too. in fact, i've had a local shop bring TR.com up on screen to shop models. he was doing the calculations in his head what he'd be able to do for me. the shipping is where he can make it up, as well as in service. if the guy isn't greedy and thinks he'll win a return customer, you'll get your deal and maybe even save a day. (unless you live REALLY close to the warehouse! )

Vehicles
      '14 JKU Sahara, '93 Porsche 911 RSA, '92 LS2 Miata
      10-06-2012 09:24 AM #93
      Love TR here. I'm in a suburb of Houston (far away) and I can get tires from Shreveport within 24 hours also.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R Line, 2007 Passat Wagon, 2001 Jetta VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      10-06-2012 04:16 PM #94
      Like I said before, i don't pay tax on TireRack orders. But I would have to pay tax from any local establishment.

And you can see I added in the mount and balance costs (red text). But its only $52.

So the substantial price savings still stands. Though it ends up actually being about $150 savings, not the "over 200" suggested above.
      I don't see much "substantial" savings myself. The price of the tire at Tire Tack was $121 + $16 shipping per tire= $137. Discount Tire cost was $139 per tire with no shipping. So the only difference was $2 per tire which DT would have matched in a milisecond.

When you posted the cost from DT, you included the road hazard insurance of $70 which is optional and not offered at TR, so it wasn't even an apples to apples comparision. Discount Tire also had a disposal fee which may have also been added by Wal Mart on top of the mounting and balancing.

I hope you aren't holding Discount Tire responsible for having to charge state fees and tax.

I bought from Tire rack for 25 years and like them, but the last couple years I have been using Discount Tire because I really like their level of customer service and the way they do business.

25. Member
      10-06-2012 06:09 PM #95
      ^^^^^ I concur.

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      10-07-2012 08:23 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by lubok View Post
      Not sure where your hate is coming from but, I've yet to find a shop that can offer tires I want to buy VS. tires they want gone and come out cheaper than Tire Rack. I've ordered at least 10 x from Tire Rack and will continue to do so as their service is something each business should strive for.

There aren't many local shops that can get shaved 15" Toyo R1Rs.

"You want a tire that you have to take off every year and put on different tires? And they only have a 180 treadwear rating? And you want me to shave them down so they last even less miles? What the heck is wrong with you?"

Not to mention I'm a very visual learner. I like having my options presented in front of me rather than being told only one or two choices over the phone.

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      10-07-2012 11:03 AM #97
      They really are amazing. I send money and receive tires!
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      02 gti 1.8t
      10-10-2012 11:54 PM #98
      on a busy day the Windsor facility will mount and balance 1000 tires. (;

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      11-02-2012 11:43 AM #99
      I decided on tires that I wanted for my truck. Firestone Destination A/Ts. I called a few local shops. Most couldn't get them in the size I wanted, but could get them in the larger size (215/75/15 vs 225/70/15). They wanted a total of $681 for the tires/mount/balance. I could get the tires shipped from TireRack for less than $450. Now I have an extra $230 to get them mounted/balanced by a tire shop if I need to (I can get them mounted free, luckily).

Also, I opted to get them shipped from the closest warehouse even though they weren't in stock. Shipping was cheaper and I don't need the tires right this second. They decided to ship them to me from a further out warehouse for the cost of shipping them from the closer warehouse. That's good service in my mind.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      11-02-2012 11:55 AM #100
      I'll jump in this bandwagon - ordered my Dunlop Wintersport 4D's on Monday afternoon, they were delivered mid day Tuesday. Standard UPS shipping.

w00t w00t!

Vehicles
      04 R32
      11-02-2012 11:57 AM #101
      Ordered winter tires and wheels yesterday for the Teg at 10am CST. With shipping over $100 less than what I was quoted at discount tire (even with their 'price matching') with not as good of tires from Discount.

Set showed up 23 hours later

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI
      11-02-2012 12:10 PM #102
      Love TR, though I wish they carried a bigger selection of wheels.

33. 11-02-2012 12:17 PM #103
      I usually order from TireRack by default, never had a bad experience with them and they are typically the cheapest. Anyway, shopped around a little more this time and found that surprisingly Sears was the cheapest of all the sites by far for this particular tire. Not to mention the $35 off $350 coupon, plus free shipping. None of the other sites came close to the price. Not sure if the coupon and free shipping are still going on.

Might be worth looking into Sears for anyone looking at tires. Definitely not getting them installed at Sears.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      11-02-2012 12:19 PM #104
      I've purchased 4 sets of tires in the past 18 mos and definitely got lower prices with Discount Tire and Tirebuyer over TireRack. if you can catch Discount Tire's $100 rebate offer that they have every so often the deal is particularly good.

For those who say that local is the same price I offer my experience with tires for my XC-60. Volvo dealer wanted $1300 for tires mounted, balanced, etc.. NTB, about the same. Tirebuyer was under $800 for the SAME tires delivered and I spent around another $100 for mounting balancing at NTB.

Savings $3-400.

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee, '04 Mazda 3
      11-02-2012 12:29 PM #105
      I order all my tires from Tire Rack, except for R-comps, as their selection is weak (no Nittos). Great service and decent prices. The best part about getting tires shipped to my house is the way the fresh rubber makes my basement smell.

I get my r-comps from Discount Tire Direct, and it's a good idea to cross shop them with TR, especially when they have those $100-off specials.
      Last edited by IJM; 11-02-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast