Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody deal with the Toyota truck frame rust recall?

Vehicles
      13 Plug In Prius, 15 Venza
      10-06-2012 09:19 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0TJett View Post
      Take it and trade it in and this time buy Chevy if you need a truck!
      we've got a 99 chevy silverado we used only to plow the lot since 2004... sitting in the back yard with a body mount rotted off so bad, the cab shifted when it broke and now you cant steer it anymore... so thats not really much better..
      ................................................www.CCCIS.com

2. 10-06-2012 09:40 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0TJett View Post
      Take it and trade it in and this time buy Chevy if you need a truck!
      Uh, yeah, lets downgrade even further!
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

3. Senior Member
      10-06-2012 10:06 AM #28
      My brother-in-law had his truck re-purchased several years ago. He was very surprised and pleased with the buy-back price.

4. 10-06-2012 10:51 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post

Vehicles
      2015 WRX STI
      10-06-2012 11:58 AM #30
      This has been fixed right?

This thread makes me very scared to look at the underside of my fj cruiser.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      10-06-2012 01:50 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post
      Yeah.
      Toyota may use iron oxide for frames, but the rest of the truck falling off said rusty frame is solid.
      Wait...what?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      2013 GMC Terrain, 2008 Jetta 2.5
      10-06-2012 02:46 PM #32
      Interesting...

I was cruising a local Toyota Dealer's lot this morning to scope a 2003 Sequoia. My wife is looking to get a SUV. It is a Michigan car with 129,xxx miles.

Sure enough, I was poking around the truck and looked underneath, and was appalled by the amount of rust underneath the car.

Vehicles
      26 of them
      10-06-2012 03:04 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      x2...

Vehicles
      Past: 98 Cherokee Classic, 04 Wrangler, 05 Z71 Silverado, 06 4Runner
      10-06-2012 04:28 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Spray` View Post
      This has been fixed right?

This thread makes me very scared to look at the underside of my fj cruiser.
      No, go look. My 2006 4runner (basically the same vehicle mechanically as your fj) is starting to look pretty rusty on the underneath side and its meticulously cared for.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      No, but hypothetically I pissed in your mom.
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      One time my girlfriend said she didn't like the Acura NSX so i broke up with her....just kidding shes ****ing dead.

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      10-06-2012 05:35 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post

I feel pretty bad for Toyota 'cause they had to take all this heat for their subcontractor.
      I don't. Nor should anyone.

The way business works is companies beat the hell out of their suppliers to make things as quickly and cheaply as is humanly possible. Suppliers have little choice, turn down the contract and you are putting yourself out of business. So you rush like crazy to get everything setup and production running, and you do the best you can. Sometimes there are oversights that could have been corrected if you had the time to stop and think about what you are doing. Sometimes the issue is that you had to cut your costs so much that the process got essential parts skimmed off of it.

I am a production manager for an american manufacturing company. It's a tough business.

11. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      10-06-2012 05:48 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by s-rocc View Post
      I don't. Nor should anyone.

The way business works is companies beat the hell out of their suppliers to make things as quickly and cheaply as is humanly possible. Suppliers have little choice, turn down the contract and you are putting yourself out of business. So you rush like crazy to get everything setup and production running, and you do the best you can. Sometimes there are oversights that could have been corrected if you had the time to stop and think about what you are doing. Sometimes the issue is that you had to cut your costs so much that the process got essential parts skimmed off of it.

I am a production manager for an american manufacturing company. It's a tough business.
      As I mentioned before- even if it was a supplier mistake, at some point during a decade plus of bad truck frames somebody at Toyota should have noticed.
      A few years of bad frames? Supplier. Over a decade of bad frames? The manufacturer.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      10-06-2012 06:00 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      As I mentioned before- even if it was a supplier mistake, at some point during a decade plus of bad truck frames somebody at Toyota should have noticed.
      A few years of bad frames? Supplier. Over a decade of bad frames? The manufacturer.
      Also a valid point.

Vehicles
      2013 WRX Hatch; Hyundai Veracruz
      10-08-2012 08:52 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Yeah.
      Toyota may use iron oxide for frames, but the rest of the truck falling off said rusty frame is solid.
      Wait...what?
      That's actually a nice way of putting it. The truck has been extremely reliable for both me, and my dad whom I bought it from. For being his work truck for 10 years (electrical contractor), the interior, the drivetrain, and the body are in remarkably good shape. I did the brakes and tires 2 years ago, and did the exhaust (also rusted out) last year. Other than that, nothing besides oil changes.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      10-08-2012 09:01 AM #39
      So this effects the last-gen Tundra's as well?

15. 10-08-2012 09:23 AM #40
      Is there any generation of Toyota truck that doesn't rust? I grew up lusting after late 80's Yota's only to see them all with the aftermarket 2x6 bed 8 years later. I wonder if the new thing is to build a pressure treated frame under the 95-05 Yota's Might have to get an alignment every time the humidity changes, like a fine piano.

Vehicles
      2013 WRX Hatch; Hyundai Veracruz
      10-08-2012 09:29 AM #41
      Update:

Talked to Toyota, who gave me a Case#. They said that there is a "campaign" (not sure how this is different from a "recall") for Sequoias of my model year, and in cold-weather states (PA qualifies), but only for a certain window of VINs. Mine is not in that window. I'm not sure how they came up with the window. They recommended I go to a dealer to have the issue documented, but after that happens, I'm not sure what the next step will be.

So I talked to the service manager at the local dealer, and I'm dropping it off tomorrow morning for them to check out. I guess that's all I can do for now.

Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, The Daihatsu Rocky from Jurassic Park
      10-08-2012 11:14 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by kar_nut View Post
      Is there any generation of Toyota truck that doesn't rust? I grew up lusting after late 80's Yota's only to see them all with the aftermarket 2x6 bed 8 years later. I wonder if the new thing is to build a pressure treated frame under the 95-05 Yota's Might have to get an alignment every time the humidity changes, like a fine piano.
      The new ones (05 up) don't seem to really be rusting. But that could be because paranoid owners are washing them more, not because Dana changed their paint system
      I'm not happy until I've posted something

Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7 & 5.3
      10-08-2012 11:28 AM #43
      OP - good luck

Quote Originally Posted by urogolf View Post
      we've got a 99 chevy silverado we used only to plow the lot since 2004... sitting in the back yard with a body mount rotted off so bad, the cab shifted when it broke and now you cant steer it anymore... so thats not really much better..
      There is a bit of a difference between a truck being used for PLOWING and another used for normal commuting duties don't you think?

Vehicles
      13 Plug In Prius, 15 Venza
      10-08-2012 11:51 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      OP - good luck

There is a bit of a difference between a truck being used for PLOWING and another used for normal commuting duties don't you think?
      Was only used out on the road as a commuter for the first 4 or 5 years of its life, was traded in for a Prius, and has been plowing only in a parking lot (meaning it sits idle 10 out of 12 months a year equivalant)
      Only time it left the lot was to get gas (across the street)

Also note it was parked on asphalt not dirt or grass..

all I know is that Ford, ChryCo and GM would laugh and tell you to pound tar... Toyota is dropping $10K on average to fix these things

remember... over the past few years we've done about 1000 of em on average $10,000 each = $10,000,000.00 paid just to our dealership so far on this over a few years... multiplied by the number of dealers in the country doing this... THIS IS COSTING THEM BILLIONS!
      Last edited by urogolf; 10-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.
      ................................................www.CCCIS.com

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 GTI 6mt
      10-08-2012 11:55 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Correct. Dana is actually the manufacturer of these frames. It was an on-going issue with the paint Dana was using. Problem with rust is by the time it shows up and you see you have a coatings problem, you've shipped 500,000 frames

Dana was also the manufacturer of the Ford Windstar frames - the ones that would rust through and crack in half while you were driving.

I feel pretty bad for Toyota 'cause they had to take all this heat for their subcontractor.

They must have made the frames for Isuzu as well. My '02 Rodeo was that bad, if not worse. Isuzu issued a recall but that seemed like a joke. If you had stage 1,2,or 3 they sprayed something on it, 4 or 5 and they would buy it back. So basically it had to be crumbling apart to get an offer.

I thought I remember hearing about QX4's and Pathfinders with this too.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1984 Jetta GLI 1978 Rabbit
      10-08-2012 01:12 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Exhaustdd View Post
      I thought I remember hearing about QX4's and Pathfinders with this too.
      The Nissans are unibody - iirc they rust on the inner fender at the firewall.

22. 10-08-2012 06:46 PM #47
      Pathfinders are not unibody...except the brand new ones

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
      1999 Toyota 4runner 3.4 Limited

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-08-2012 06:53 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by 1995Camry View Post
      These are:
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1984 Jetta GLI 1978 Rabbit
      10-08-2012 06:53 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 1995Camry View Post

No.

Unibody from '96 on.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...pathfinder.htm

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-08-2012 06:58 PM #50
      The '96-05 models are Unibody, outgoing Pathfinders were BOF.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast