Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dafuq is up with gas prices in So Cal?

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      10-05-2012 04:13 PM #36
      perfect timing - haven't filled up in a month and will need too this weekend
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

2. 10-05-2012 04:31 PM #37
      I’m so glad to be out of that cesspool called California.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      10-05-2012 04:54 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by DISI 2.3T View Post
      Same, but I would say i am about 4 miles on the NC side. Assumiong you are in the same area, are you in York Co? Lancaster Co?

I commute to work via Carowinds blvd and always make it a point to stop for gas. And that is even pricier than a few exits down just because they are on the border.
      York Co - Tega Cay
      There are stations off Cherry Rd in RH $0.20 cheaper than even in TC/Ft Mill.

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      10-05-2012 05:31 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
      On the way to work yesterday gas was $4.19 for 87 which is pretty brutal. Today on the way to work it was $4.59 and is expected to increase by as much as another $0.30/gallon.

Fires, power outages, the switch over to "winter gas" sure seems like a bunch of BS and just another way to pinch the working man.

oh wait, so it takes $70 to fill my tank instead of $50? Who F'ing cares.
      Take the subway, oops wrong city and state.

10-05-2012 05:36 PM #40
      Company car FTW , haven't had to pay for gas in over 6 months

10-05-2012 05:48 PM #41
      maybe i should have filled up last week, now im on E. i have to get 91
      Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude
      10-05-2012 06:34 PM #42
      Did I mention how much I'm enjoying paying $3.80 for 91 octane here in Ohio?
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      Go to bed or we're going for a drive in the Durango.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      10-05-2012 06:48 PM #43
      you still live in Ohio...
      FS: Oettinger Type E 16 x 7.5, 5 x 100 with all 4 center caps. Perfect shape. Located in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I don't want the butt herp on my schwantz either.

9. 10-05-2012 06:56 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Magazine View Post
      Few days back, I had predicted $5 Gallon gas in USA and people thought I am crazy.
      California is NOT in the USA.
      It's its own nation now.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

10-05-2012 07:23 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post
      California is NOT in the USA.
      It's its own nation now.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-05-2012 08:02 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      Right, because there are no subways or other forms of public transport in California.

Los Angeles:

The primary regional public transportation agency is the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA), commonly referred to as Metro or MTA. The agency, which operates bus, light rail and subway services, averages 1.6 million transit trips per weekday,[31] making it the third largest transit agency in the United States. Other municipal transportation agencies in Los Angeles County (LADOT, Long Beach Transit, Montebello Bus Lines, Norwalk Transit, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus, Santa Clarita Transit, Torrance Transit and Foothill Transit) have an additional 405,000 average weekday boardings
      Say hello to our subways:

Say hello to our busways:

Say hello to our commuter trains:

San Diego - voted best in the US, 2009:

San Francisco:

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta TDI, 2002 Protege5
      10-05-2012 08:19 PM #47
      lul at Americans and "expensive" fuel prices.
      Quote Originally Posted by AmericanThanks View Post
      Vwvortex is the biggest car forum so I should get atleast 100 enquiries from here. Cars means money.

Vehicles
      Haldex AWD
      10-05-2012 08:29 PM #48
      Everytime I'm in California I make it a point to look for those rail/trains but have honestly never noticed an actual station. Asked the cabbie once. Got a dirty look!
      Quote Originally Posted by KyleC
      ...Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air...will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Never under estimate car buying public's insatiable appetite for plastic cladding.

10-05-2012 08:34 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by TigerinColorado View Post
      Everytime I'm in California I make it a point to look for those rail/trains but have honestly never noticed an actual station. Asked the cabbie once. Got a dirty look!
      the magic word is union station.

Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude
      10-05-2012 09:46 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
      you still live in Ohio...
      Yes, but I'm also not going broke paying for things like housing/energy, I don't have to worry about smog checks, and auto theft is really a non issue where I'm at. Only thing that sucks is snow a few months out of the year which isn't a big deal once you get used to it.

I still wouldn't mind living in California though
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      Go to bed or we're going for a drive in the Durango.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Golf GL VR6 Swap, 2011 BMW 335d, 2013 VW Tiguan S 6MT
      10-05-2012 10:08 PM #51
      I'm really happy with my diesel now....

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      10-05-2012 10:14 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      Granted gas and oil are both free market items and the retailer/suppliers can name their prices I am still suprised that no goverment sanctions are taking place. High oil prices are one of the root causes of our economy being so bad. With that being said I'd like to know how much of that gallon price is for state taxes. Connecticut is something like .50 a gallon in state tax
      Actually, oil is far from a free market item. Cartels are not free markets.

18. 10-05-2012 10:50 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      The cartel in this case is not oil companies, but CARB.

The sad part is the level of ignorance by so called smart people in California. If they only knew that California’s “progressive” green polices have set the world’s eighth largest economy on a crash course with less developed nation energy problems.

If there were ever a populace more deserving of having something shoved firmly in their rectum, it would be a typical California resident. Good luck with that “special” California blended gasoline.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-05-2012 11:16 PM #54
      The gas station owners losing money are idiots. There's no reason for them to lose money when all they need to do is raise prices. They'll continue to sell gas anyway. Selling it at a loss is their fault, and they deserve no sympathy.

As to the environmental regulations being at fault, it's not like the refineries need a valid excuse to raise prices. Blaming it on regulations is just convenient thanks to the politics involved in the election. You watch, those same refineries that are supposedly at a shortage will make killer profits this quarter.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

20. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      10-06-2012 01:35 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      The gas station owners losing money are idiots. There's no reason for them to lose money when all they need to do is raise prices. They'll continue to sell gas anyway. Selling it at a loss is their fault, and they deserve no sympathy.

As to the environmental regulations being at fault, it's not like the refineries need a valid excuse to raise prices. Blaming it on regulations is just convenient thanks to the politics involved in the election. You watch, those same refineries that are supposedly at a shortage will make killer profits this quarter.
      There's no incentive to refine gas quicker. It's better to refine slower so that the demand outpace supply.

1 gallon this year is worth almost twice 2010 prices, once demand goes down they then they have to sell cheaper because then it will cost them more money and resources to stockpile.

I just hope the prices follow through the rest of the country and maybe Obama will come out and dump 2 million barrels next week to help his campaign.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-06-2012 02:04 AM #56
      There's no incentive to refine gas quicker. It's better to refine slower so that the demand outpace supply.

1 gallon this year is worth almost twice 2010 prices, once demand goes down they then they have to sell cheaper because then it will cost them more money and resources to stockpile.

I just hope the prices follow through the rest of the country and maybe Obama will come out and dump 2 million barrels next week to help his campaign.
      Yep, there's no reason for them to serve the public. They only serve their shareholders.

Prices are about the same as in 2008. Is a dollar worth more or less now?

Both sides will probably use this to their political advantage. Romney will probably say this confirms his reasons for deregulation and more drilling and why he loves coal so much, nevermind that that has nothing to do with this...just saying it is enough for his supporters, truth be damned. Obama will may open the reserves, which I think it pointless, but you're right that it may benefit his campaign. He could say it validates his desire for alternative energy, which I would agree with. Sadly, unless alternative energy can stand alone without government support before a Republican gets into office, the programs will have their budget cuts and alternative energy will die again.
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      10-06-2012 05:49 AM #57
      Paid five fitty at a mom and pop. I was extremely low on gas.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-06-2012 05:54 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Paid five fitty at a mom and pop. I was extremely low on gas.
      And that'll happen to others as well. That's why it's crazy for independent stations to undercharge during a shortage. Given that there's a shortage, they should be charging to make up for times without fuel to sell.

91.7 WXCI land - Listen to it, you will like it.
      10-06-2012 09:33 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post

Yes, there is a lot of truth to that. It's really not as cut and dry as many people make it out to be. Also, I have heard that American refineries are making so much gasoline that they are exporting it to China. Yet we import some crazy percentage of oil to keep OPEC happy. And what about the "reserve" ?'

Btw what is a barrel of oil going for now a days ? Betcha it's under 100.00 - Do the math

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      10-06-2012 09:45 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      Btw what is a barrel of oil going for now a days ? Betcha it's under 100.00 - Do the math
      Depends on which market you're looking in. Brent Crude is $111.00. WTI is 92.44.

The math is you pay what the market thinks you should pay. When there is uncertainty, prices spike independent of demand. Political problems and pipeline/refinery problems cause uncertainty.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      10-06-2012 10:20 AM #61
      I blame CARB and the numb nuts who keep electing the same numb nuts into office for strangling the CA economy in the name of environmental conservation. Running this state into the ground.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

91.7 WXCI land - Listen to it, you will like it.
      10-06-2012 10:49 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Depends on which market you're looking in. Brent Crude is $111.00. WTI is 92.44.

The math is you pay what the market thinks you should pay. When there is uncertainty, prices spike independent of demand. Political problems and pipeline/refinery problems cause uncertainty.
      Yes, yes Supply and demand and market values. But even at 111.00 a barrel it should be somewhere around 3.00 a gallon for regular. The goverment has allowed these speculators to strong arm the world economy. It's not just high gas prices, it's everything now a days. Food/clothing/transport/manufacturing are all dependant on oil in one form or another. Until we get serious about it the economy will be in the toliet.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-06-2012 05:38 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      I blame CARB and the numb nuts who keep electing the same numb nuts into office for strangling the CA economy in the name of environmental conservation. Running this state into the ground.
      It's amazing how this happens right before an election.

Vehicles
      14 CC R-LINE, 14 Tiguan R-Line, 14 GLI AB DSG+Nav SOLD, 13 Jetta TDi Prem DIED, 12 Jetta TDi TRADED
      10-07-2012 02:59 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by cjmoy View Post
      I'm really happy with my diesel now....

Does that mean diesel is down? I was surprised to pay $4.31, down from $4.59.

30. 10-07-2012 03:10 PM #65
      I have been taking full advantage of park and ride on the East coast. Short drive to the commuter train station, commuter train into the city, subway (metro) around the city.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Golf GL VR6 Swap, 2011 BMW 335d, 2013 VW Tiguan S 6MT
      10-07-2012 06:44 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by HD9280 View Post
      Does that mean diesel is down? I was surprised to pay $4.31, down from $4.59.
      Diesel seems like it's down where I fill. It dropped to $4.37 from $4.49 last week, while the price for gas was skyrocketing.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      10-07-2012 07:02 PM #67
      First time in a long time I've seen diesel cheaper than regular.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta Wagon, 2004 Jetta Sedan
      10-08-2012 07:19 AM #68
      You're in California, the state that gives itself more stupid regulations than any other state. Your gas always costs more than the rest of the country because of "special blends".

34. 10-08-2012 11:08 AM #69
      I am in SC and work in Charlotte. I always fill up at home. Charlotte is about 30 cents more expensive. Even worse is the RDU area. I was there this weekend and it was $0.20 more then Charlotte. I did the round trip on one tank. I got 35 mpg and used 10.2 gallons. I made it to the Carowinds exit where I normally get off, but went down to the next exit because Scorwinds was open.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-09-2012 06:22 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyBy View Post
      You're in California, the state that gives itself more stupid regulations than any other state. Your gas always costs more than the rest of the country because of "special blends".
      You list NY in your profile, the state that orchestrated the economic meltdown. I'd rather have a few extra regulations than not enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast