Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW decides to continue production of MkVI 'til December

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-05-2012 10:38 AM #1
      Originally, it was thought that most lines were taken down in August to make room for the MkVII. Now VW has decided to continue production of the MkVI until (at least?) December, to use the car as a low-cost alternative in the current European price wars.

Evidently, this could also benefit North America, since we depend on an open production line for further units to be built and shipped to these shores.

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/articl...s-geplant.html

http://translate.google.com/translat...t.html&act=url
      Aung San Suu Kyi

2. 10-05-2012 11:29 AM #2
      This is a good call, I do prefer the MK6 over the MK7 & I am seriously considering the purchase of the now inferior MK6 Golf-R while it is still available.
      Last edited by 1-VW; 10-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6
      10-05-2012 03:40 PM #3
      thought half the reason behind the quick run to Mk7 was a cheaper platform...so how does it help to keep the more expensive mk6 in production? You'd think they'd make a cheap entry level mk7 in that case.

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 12:38 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Belox View Post
      thought half the reason behind the quick run to Mk7 was a cheaper platform...so how does it help to keep the more expensive mk6 in production? You'd think they'd make a cheap entry level mk7 in that case.
      All the equipment is amortized. This delays the expense of bringing additional lines up to the new platform.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      10-09-2012 06:48 PM #5
      The MK5 was even more expensive then the MK6 to build. It took ~35-36 hrs to build every GTI and it was reduced down quite a bit with the MK6 GTI.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 10:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post
      The MK5 was even more expensive then the MK6 to build. It took ~35-36 hrs to build every GTI and it was reduced down quite a bit with the MK6 GTI.
      Yeah, with the MkVII most of the savings is due to the new MQB platform and parts sharing across a large number of different cars - but the Golf and A3 (and Q3?) are currently the only cars on that platform, so it will take some time for the cost savings to actually come in.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6
      10-10-2012 12:16 PM #7
      how do the lines work? is there more than one factory in Germany or more than one line producing golfs? So one line would produce mk6s for whoever wants them, while the other line produces mk7 for Germany? When Europe opens up, does that mean more lines have moved over to the mk7? trying to understand how it still seems you can order a mk6, although the mk7 is now released.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 03:08 AM #8
      how do the lines work? is there more than one factory in Germany or more than one line producing golfs? So one line would produce mk6s for whoever wants them, while the other line produces mk7 for Germany? When Europe opens up, does that mean more lines have moved over to the mk7? trying to understand how it still seems you can order a mk6, although the mk7 is now released.
      From what I read, Wolfsburg produces around 1,000 Golfs a day, Zwickau can build up to 650. Both have started Golf VII production, and I believe Zwickau has switched over completely. Wolfsburg also builds the Golf Plus (old platform) and Touran, so they can probably use one of those lines to keep building the MkVI.

The MkVII is a completely different platform, so changing a line over is a huge event - supposedly it took three weeks at Zwickau.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      10-11-2012 02:24 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 1-VW View Post
      This is a good call, I do prefer the MK6 over the MK7 & I am seriously considering the purchase of the now inferior MK6 Golf-R while it is still available.
      You haven't even seen or driven the MK7?

I hated the MK5 GTI when I first saw it in pics.

Was sure I would be keeping my MK4 GTI.

But when it arrived here and after I drove it I fell in love.

Plus after owning one for a few months it grew on me.

Now the MK4 looks really old.

If you dont mind buying a slightly used car hold off on the Golf R... wait for the MK7... drive and view.

If you hate it buy a low mile used Golf R for 30% off orig sticker. Win-Win.