Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Auto-locking function

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL w/boost gauge and Scangauge
      10-05-2012 12:30 PM #1
      I know that my Tig will automatically lock the doors once the speed hits a certain threshold, this is a different question.

One of the problems with having a keyless ignition (which I love) is that I sometimes forget to lock the doors when I leave the car! Is there any setting that can be done to, say, have the car automatically lock the doors after, say, 15 minutes, once the ignition is turned off? It would of course have to be conditional in that the auto-locking would only occur if the keyfob was not in proximity of the car.

I know I could ask this in the VAG-COM forum, but I don't own a Ross-Tech cable yet and some of the regulars there are pretty anal (and that's being charitable) about posting an "auto-scan" before they even answer the simplest question.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      10-05-2012 01:11 PM #2
      I don't believe so.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      10-05-2012 03:11 PM #3
      Dont believe so.
      You wouldn't want the car to lock your keys inside!
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      10-05-2012 03:37 PM #4
      We worked on a Corvette that locked the doors if you walked away with the fob in hand.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      10-05-2012 04:46 PM #5
      Maybe.

I had to set my coding back to stock to troubleshoot a sunroof problem, but there was an instance or two when I walked away from the car before that, and it locked the doors. And I do remember a box to check that could have been that. Unfortunately many of the labels on the check-boxes are cryptic at best, and it could have been something slightly different that was happening (ie unlock a door with the touch area, and then walk away before opening the door and it will lock again). The keyless system is cool, but it makes it quite a bit harder to figure out what the system is doing from one minute to the next, when you fiddle with the boxes.

My sunroof is going to be repaired next week, but afterwards I can look into it some more.

One thing you could try as an alternative is to always shut your door with your thumb on the sensor, so it will lock it for you.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      10-05-2012 04:49 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Dont believe so.
      You wouldn't want the car to lock your keys inside!
      The car won't lock with a key inside it, unless you lock it with another key.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL w/boost gauge and Scangauge
      10-05-2012 10:07 PM #7
      A condition for the autolock to occur would have to be that the presence of a valid keyfob inside the car would preclude locking. I know that with my friend's BMW, even the trunk won't close and latch if there's a key inside it.

Just for grins I did a test where I tossed the spare keyfob (driver 2?) inside the car on the seat and used my keyfob (driver 1) to lock the car. It did lock it. Then I went back to the car without my keyfob in hand and attempted to unlock the car by simply placing my hand on the drivers door handle in the usual manner. I could not unlock it- the keyfob inside the car was not detected when my hand touched the driver door handle.

That tells me that the keyfob needs to be on my person for the car door to sense it's presence. It's not obvious how any form of code manipulation would allow the scenario I want - lock after a period of time as long as the keyfob is not near the car. BMW 1, VW 0.