Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta TDI exhaust issue

1. 10-05-2012 03:58 PM #1
      Has anyone had a problem with their TDI exhaust filter. My car is a 2009 with 100,000 miles. I am told by the mechanic at the dealership that the exhaust filter has to be replaced and in this case that means replacing most of the exhaust system - estimated cost $5000. Anyone know any options short of donating the car?

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-06-2012 01:30 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by mlk View Post
      Has anyone had a problem with their TDI exhaust filter. My car is a 2009 with 100,000 miles. I am told by the mechanic at the dealership that the exhaust filter has to be replaced and in this case that means replacing most of the exhaust system - estimated cost $5000. Anyone know any options short of donating the car?
      Are you going to a VW service place? If so, call VWoA and file a formal complaint, and visit a different dealer. The dealer is supposed to check the DPF filter at 100,000 miles - but that does not mean it needs to be replaced. There is a cleaning procedure available (if required - typically not). Even if it needed replacement (extremely rare), you are probably talking $1,000 - $1,500 - not $5,000. You are getting ripped off.

Also check your state laws on default warranties for emissions equipment.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

3. 10-06-2012 04:07 PM #3
      To the responder if you see this again, thanks for the response. I have seen an approved VW dealership. My car just turned 100,000 as these problems arose, so I have not had the 100,000 check in yet.

California seems to have a shorter warranty that the USA which is 80,000 miles.

I have talked with mechanics at two VW dealership and neither mentioned cleaning the filter. I will pursue this further. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I welcome comments from anyone with suggestions.

4. 10-08-2012 08:37 PM #4
      What, exactly, are the nature of the "problems"?

5. 11-01-2012 02:37 PM #5
      I called the 800 VW number and have talked with two supervisors. They offered me $1000 toward fixing my car, something VW wants $5000 for after I have already put in $5000 to fix this problem to no avail. I will get rid of the Jetta and never buy a VW again.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      11-02-2012 01:56 AM #6
      Yeah, can you be more specific about the problem? Also, why isn't the repair place doing their job after you give them $5,000? What was that money for? A new engine?
      Aung San Suu Kyi

7. 05-30-2014 06:44 PM #7
      After some questionable advice about the original problem and it's solution and the well articulated thread of causing even bigger damage (and of course considerable cost to the Turbo Charger system) I also have been told , that there is only one solution and that is to replace the complete Exhaust System after ONLY 140 000 k at the same expense as mentioned before $ 5000. Just two weeks ago I replaced an Inter-cooler and a sensor in the exhaust system for about $ 2000. I don't think it is difficult to add it up , plus the taxes . I seriously thinking of stopping right here and scrap the car . Considering the circumstances I can only advice potential buyers / enthusiasts of VW Diesel cars to reconsider a possible purchases of this technology and buy a regular car with a gasoline engine , because it is simply not worth saving a few dollars on your fuel expenses when you are hit with this kind of expenses after such a low mileage . I bought this car because previously I had a VW Passat Diesel with the old Diesel Technology that was retired with close to 500 000 K . The new TDI system is obviously not mature enough to be taken seriously .
      This comes from just another disgruntle VW customer . I would NEVER again buy into other companies experiments on the shoulder of their customers .
      When you are confronted with a situation like this you start to appreciate the position of the US government takes by forcing the car companies into some kind of accountability with the forced re-call actions that the car companies have to initiate . Just my thoughts .