Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is anyone else's window/door trim fading and spotting already?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      10-05-2012 05:07 PM #1
      I have only had my car since March, it spends every night in a parking garage. It does not get a whole heck of a lot of direct sun. I was it roughly once a week. The rubber window trim is starting to turn light gray, get weird spotty sections, dry out and basically show wear that looks like it would be 10 years old not 10 months. Its definitely not a matter of the trim looking gray against the black car. See pics for reference. Its even happening underneath the mirrors where it shouldn't get any direct sunlight, in theory. Can a power washer cause this? I know there are things you can put on rubber trim to keep it in good shape but this should not be happening so soon.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      10-05-2012 05:09 PM #2
      Yep. That is happening to mine too. I bought the car in February and it's parked in my garage at home and under covered parking at work.

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      10-05-2012 05:11 PM #3
      it happens, get this.

You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      10-05-2012 05:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
      Yep. That is happening to mine too. I bought the car in February and it's parked in my garage at home and under covered parking at work.
      I never noticed it on my MKV GTI and I think it was identical trim. I wonder if it happened or not. Might have to go by the new owners place and check it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      it happens, get this.
      Thanks yo

5. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Scirocco 1982 (SOLD), 3000 GT VR4 (SOLD) Golf R
      10-05-2012 05:47 PM #5
      it happens, get this.

Just ordered on amazon.Thanks for the tip. Indeed I noticed the same thing.
      Golf R CW 4 door base | APR flash 2, Forge WINtake, Scorpion DP, Powdercoated stock wheels black gloss, Soundaktor Delete, H&R Super Sport Springs, Painted brake calibers (yellow).
      2013 JSW-S , 2.5L , manual , CW , Carbonio , H&R springs , VMR v710 black, Tint , (wife)

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-05-2012 07:00 PM #6
      Also FWIW, I used a little diluted Adam's All Purpose Cleaner on the black trim areas and they look new again. Mind you that product doesn't protect or shine it up, just cleans it really well. I just think those areas - for whatever reason - are very prone to getting dirty, discoloring, etc. After cleaning, I used some Adam's Super VRT.

No I don't work for them but I did purchase an enitre detailing package from them during their last sale. So far I am very impressed.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

7. Junior Member Candy Coated R's Avatar
      10-05-2012 08:09 PM #7
      it happens, get this.
      That is good stuff!!!
      1998 Caddy Blk: Stock, 2012 Golf R CW: APR 2+, 2012 911 Turbo : Techart wheels and Exhaust

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      10-05-2012 10:37 PM #8
      Noticed this on my car, then took it in for a full detail and the issue was gone. It's definitely just getting dirty and can be cleaned easily as others have stated.

Vehicles
      Golf R Black, Tiguan Highline: Current. MKV GTI:Previous
      10-07-2012 06:07 PM #9
      Are you using any type of dressings on your plastic or rubber parts? Most silicone based products will build up over time and create a haze. A proper detail with get rid of it. This also happens if the cleaner that you spray is not completely rinsed off and you use a dressing on these pieces.

Be sure to use specific products designed for rubber and plastic. If a product is for rubber, it isn't designed for plastic. Avoid "Universal" dressings as these are usually silicone based. Stay away from deep shine products for plastics too. It doesn't take long for a build up to occur after repeated use.