Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: should i buy this to mod?

1. 10-05-2012 06:25 PM #1
      So my past car was a handed down to me by my sister and i want to buy either a Golf or a Jetta.
      i came across a 2003 golf 2.0 with 70k for 5,000$ witch is all i can afford rite now. it has a K&N air filter and Magnaflow exhaust and bbs looking rims i dont know the brandThe car is also very clean and is being sold by a owner of a body shop my cousin knows.

I wanted to know is it worth buying this to eventually do engine work to? and how more difficult this would be rather than buying a Gti or a 1.8t

http://s343.beta.photobucket.com/use...65699033945574

http://s343.beta.photobucket.com/use...99226498593387

2. 10-06-2012 02:41 AM #2
      Great start of business I appreciate it please care of it as a guide but in other words it has great information about the topic in which it has fully confidence…
      CMS Website

10-07-2012 02:10 PM #3
      not worth it....thats too much for a 2L.

You should be able to find a 1.8T with similar miles for around the same price.

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8t
      10-17-2012 08:54 AM #4
      there isn't much to gain with the 2.0. i would pass and go for the 1.8t if i were u

Vehicles
      2013 Candy White GTI
      11-15-2012 08:43 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by unplugged92 View Post
      there isn't much to gain with the 2.0. i would pass and go for the 1.8t if i were u
      2013 on AMG Monoblocks

^^^^^^FOR SALE^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjimenezvw View Post
      ps. dont be a douchebag

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and 2007 A3 3.2 S-line
      11-15-2012 05:47 PM #6
      Don't listen to all these negative responses. That car for the money is worth it for you. You're obviously young and new at this. That motor and car will be reliable which is exactly what you need. It's got low miles, a reliable motor and the body appears to be in good shape.

Typically when people mod their first car, it doesn't turn out all that great as they're still learning. Buy this, it's really a good deal.

But when you get it, find the MK4 section for things pertaining to this vehicle, not the motorsport section...

Also try knocking the price down because at 70k miles it needs its water pump and timing belt serviced. If they try telling you it's been done, ask for proof that these components have been changed:

Water pump
      Timing belt
      Timing belt tensioner
      Idler pulley
      Accessory belt

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 jetta GLI
      11-18-2012 12:30 AM #7
      Go with the 1.8 for sure

Vehicles
      2014 Audi S4 GIAC Stage 2, 1992 GTI w/1.8T Motor Swap with GT2860RS Turbo, 2014 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      01-07-2013 07:38 AM #8
      I agree go 1.8 and you will be a junky like the rest of us...just don't ask for another fix after

Vehicles
      98 GTI VrT_SOLD , 20th IY #1100 , 2010 Jetta
      01-12-2013 10:34 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      Don't listen to all these negative responses. That car for the money is worth it for you. You're obviously young and new at this. That motor and car will be reliable which is exactly what you need. It's got low miles, a reliable motor and the body appears to be in good shape.

Typically when people mod their first car, it doesn't turn out all that great as they're still learning. Buy this, it's really a good deal.

But when you get it, find the MK4 section for things pertaining to this vehicle, not the motorsport section...

Also try knocking the price down because at 70k miles it needs its water pump and timing belt serviced. If they try telling you it's been done, ask for proof that these components have been changed:

Water pump
      Timing belt
      Timing belt tensioner
      Idler pulley
      Accessory belt
      This is great advice

Vehicles
      tornado red 2004.5 gli
      01-14-2013 04:41 PM #10
      did you get it/ decide to yet?

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      01-16-2013 07:29 PM #11

Water pump
      Timing belt
      Timing belt tensioner
      Idler pulley
      Accessory belt
      Check the CV boots too, especially passenger side, outer. If they are damaged, you will be looking at new joints in the near future and a minimum of $400 in parts and labor. (and sometimes it's just cheaper to go with new/rebuilt OEM axle assemblies)

EDIT: The 2.0L may be a fine car, but it is really not moddable beyond what the previous owner has done. The 1.8T is much easier to modify to much greater power levels.

EDIT2: You need to do some actual shopping. Right now on ebay there is a 2003 1.8T Passat GLS for $4700 buyout. This is a better car than the 2.0L Golf in every way possible.
      Last edited by Waterfan; 01-16-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Vehicles
      86 gti, 01 ttQ 225 "pandora"
      01-22-2013 10:40 AM #13

Water pump
      Timing belt
      Timing belt tensioner
      Idler pulley
      Accessory belt
      this guy is on to something. 8v motors are a great place to start. cheap to fix in comparison to 18ts and vrs and lots of parts for you to upgrade and if you break something, which more then likely will happen, it wont kill your bank account to fix