VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Jens Meiners: The Sportback and Sedan for MY2014

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  NY_Avant 
#1 ·
From today's Car and Driver. Take it for what it is worth:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-next-gen-audi-a3-the-body-styles-well-get/

" The new model will be offered as a five-door hatchback called Sportback, as a four-door sedan, and possibly as a convertible down the road."

"The sedan will come in a number of flavors: a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder producing roughly 220 hp, a 2.0-liter TDI with around 140 hp, an S3 Quattro with 300 hp, and an RS3 Quattro model with a turbocharged straight-five that will make close to 400 hp"

#3 ·
This is getting rudiculous! I need dates, dates, dates. I need pictures of this car and more importantly, I need to know where the RS3 is going to be priced at. Would someone put me out of my misery?
Here's my speculation:

We get an A3 reveal at the Los Angeles Autoshow at the end of next month. The Gyor, Hungary factory is slated to produce "An A3 variant". The factory is set to begin volume production in early May, 2013. While not explicitly stated, my bet is that Gyor will produce the A3 sedan. This would put product on the ground in the United States by around July, 2013 as a 2014 model.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an S3 sedan introduced either simultaneously or at either the Detroit Autoshow in January or at Geneva in March. We'd probably see that 5-6 months after the A3 sedan, maybe December/January '13-'14. There's always the chance for a simultaneous launch, too.

As for an RS3 sedan, I wouldn't expect to see that for at least another two, maybe three years, all depending on how A3/S3 sedan sales go.

For powertrains I would bet that we'll see the following at launch:

A3 2.0T 220hp 6MT FWD
A3 2.0T 220hp S-Tronic FWD
A3 2.0T 220hp S-Tronic Quattro

S3 2.0T 280hp 6MT Quattro
S3 2.0T 280hp S-Tronic Quattro

I'd expect diesels to filter in at some point, followed by the Sportback in 2014 or thereabouts.

As for photos, it's going to look pretty much like the A3 Concept from Geneva, sans the carbon fiber bits, the recessed door handles, 20" wheels and the fancy side mirrors. Otherwise, proportions will be virtually the same, along with the cockpit.

#9 ·
If I was them I would let the speculation go on for many more months. If they don't need to make a public decision than why should they? People talk about this speculation far more than what they talk about once the decisions are made.

I also don't see any reason they have to make a public (or private) decision by the time any of the shows come around. Once they show the A3 Sportback or Sedan they still don't have to say what powertrain they will come with.

#17 ·
I have to imagine that the sedan will follow a similar roofline/profile to the Sportback's four-door design. My understanding (potentially wrong) is that the sedan shares no sheet metal with either the 3-door or 5-door, but I have to imagine that the overall height and width will be similar.

#18 ·
I returned from Spain yesterday and saw 3 door A3's along with 4 other Audi models (Allroad's etc.)headed to a dealer on a delivery truck, also saw one in a dealer showroom in Madrid and at a display in the airport so they are already in dealers in Europe (also saw quite a few A1's and Q3's in the wild which really pissed me off:banghead:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.