Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: They complain about us at H2Oi, so what is in OC for the muscle weekend

Vehicles
      black blob
      10-08-2012 02:03 PM #76
      Shrimp was so good though haha

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      10-08-2012 02:10 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by alankitzmiller View Post
      we ordered at 7:30 and didn't get our food until after 9:00 because it was so packed (and this is after waiting for a table) and thenw ent back the next day where the waitress said that she hoped it wasn't going to get that busy again because it was a mess
      I guess I got lucky and just beat the rush

Vehicles
      84 ABA Jetta, 97 Golf, 84 rabbit 16v, 97 Cherokee
      10-08-2012 02:16 PM #78
      This really boggles my mind. All these burnouts on the street. If it were H20 and burn outs where on the street like this, I'm pretty sure the swat team would have been called in. Its a bit of a double standard it seems. I know not why, but it just seems to be the case. SO...That being said. Go to H20 enjoy yourself but also behave yourself. Don't be a jackass.

http://youtu.be/hNx8vIjZcyw
      Last edited by Seamus68; 10-08-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Vehicles
      Pan Scraper
      10-08-2012 02:44 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Guywithacar View Post
      Ha and they respect us 100% no no they don't so why respect them are your screws loose in your head that you need to be the big respectable man that does no wrong fucck that.

I'm not even talking about being disrespectful but we need to show them were not leaving ocean city and the only thing that can happen is that more of us are going to come each year.
      this is exactly why they are trying to push us out..

To get respect you have to give respect. If they don't respect you, maybe there is a reason.. maybe not. If they are being straight up rude for no apparent reason then mind your own business don't allow them to upset you but DON'T DISRESPECT THE TOWN

Vehicles
      98 GLX VR6 95 Cabrio VR6
      10-08-2012 05:04 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Seamus68 View Post
      This really boggles my mind. All these burnouts on the street. If it were H20 and burn outs where on the street like this, I'm pretty sure the swat team would have been called in. Its a bit of a double standard it seems. I know not why, but it just seems to be the case. SO...That being said. Go to H20 enjoy yourself but also behave yourself. Don't be a jackass.

http://youtu.be/hNx8vIjZcyw
      epic america at 2:54
      Anyway, csb, bbs rs, and as always, lower it.

Vehicles
      8v
      10-08-2012 05:23 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by VADER332 View Post
      have a B7 RS4 and an E46 M3
      We don't care.

they say what the VW/Audi crown does off the road is most appalling
      Ha, guess you didn't watch the video the OP posted.

You guys
      Excuse me?

act more respectful for attitudes to change also.
      You aren't my father, as if you've never acted foolish in your life.

Kindly fcuk off now.
      VWfiends

Vehicles
      98 GLX VR6 95 Cabrio VR6
      10-08-2012 05:25 PM #82
      Take that
      Anyway, csb, bbs rs, and as always, lower it.

8. Semi-n00b
      10-08-2012 05:26 PM #83
      It does not make it right for the Hot Rodders to do it either. However, you can't keep making excuses for bad behavior because another group is acting up, if you want public opinion to change. Get your house in order, and hopefully in time, opinion will change. Like I said, I live close to the beach and see a lot of stuff. Now, the bike week crowd Harleys, Sportbikes, Trikes and all, bring the Maryland State Police on the island. The MSP is far worse than the OC town cops. There are very few times when the MSP is on the Island during H2Oi, or the OC Car and truck show weekends. THE VW/AUDI crown doesn't get picked on or targeted all the time, and everypne else goes free.

9. Semi-n00b
      10-08-2012 05:31 PM #84
      Thanks for proving my point. No respect.

Vehicles
      2001 B5 A4, 2007 B7 A4 S-Line
      10-09-2012 12:39 AM #85
      Although I don't partake in any hooliganism at h20 I must admit it is frustrating to see a vw or Audi pull out and have the tires barely squeal and immediately they get pulled over. Meanwhile we have muscle cars doing line locks and the cops do nothing. Whether on group respects the town more or not that is prejudice. Also if you read comments on local news sites during the weekend you will see plenty of instances of the locals bashing import cars and talking about how proud they are that they bought a domestic car and not a ****ty vw/Audi.
      @colin_theraggededge and @theraggededge on instagram. One day I'll be VW/Audi famous on the internet.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Civic EX, 2011 F-150 FX4
      10-09-2012 08:05 AM #86
      One thing I want to point out that I don't think a lot of people know. A good portion of the cops in OC work part time. H20i happens to be the LAST weekend that the part time cops are working before they either go back to school or back to their regular jobs.

On top of a large portion of the H20 crowd making themselves easy prey, it goes a long way to explain how aggressive they are.

Vehicles
      '08 Rabbit
      10-09-2012 04:24 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by 4x4StAtUs View Post
      I believe the reason everyone in OC has a problem with us is more because we don't drive American muscle cars or Harley's. I have never seen a police officer with a built VW or Audi (I'm sure they are out there, I have personally never met one), but I know a ton of cops that have Harley's or an 800 hp camaro. I think we are disrespected more because of the scene we choose rather than our antics. There are videos everywhere of people (young and old) acting like idiots in OC during there respective weekends, but they give the "import" guys a harder time. Just my .02
      No, it's the stupid antics. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's an American Iron vs. German car thing. The antics of a few affect the scene as a whole.
      Young kids acting like it's their first time away from mom and dad for the first time is an issue. Once alcohol is added to the mix and the need to impress and put on a show happens easily.
      Is this limited to the under 25 crowd? No.
      Is a majority of it the under 25 crowd, I'd be willing to bet that it is. I've been going to the show since it's been in OCMD, mainly because I wasn't aware of the Lime Rock Park event.
      The crowd has changed over the years as the popularity of the cars has grown -- not an issue there. The crowd that comes to wreak havoc drives all sorts of different brands, but doing burnouts incessantly and trying to drift still falls on the under-25 crowd.
      Alcohol fueled stupidity is not unique to the younger crowd, I'm sure there are more than few older guys running around doing things that they would not do otherwise.
      However, from conversations with police and the occasional local in the past, too many of these kids pack into these hotels just barely able to pay the hotel bill. After that they spend what little money they've got left on alcohol and then complain that all of the restaurants cost too much -- making tips a rarity at most of them. For the hotels, I'd imagine that some of the rooms are pretty trashed after the weekend goes by.
      If the h2oi crowd wants to be treated better, perhaps the attendee's could learn to be more respectful of the town.
      Disclaimer: I might be a jerk, it's not personal. | Subscriber to: Windshield Sticker of the Month Club: The gift that keeps on givin'.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MB 560SL
      10-09-2012 04:34 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Guywithacar View Post
      Yes I was born after 1991 and aprantly that makes me the bad guy sorry that I care about H20i and would like to see it continue as it was and never leave OCMD. I guess you don't care about it.
      This answers so many questions.

1. The reason why we have a bad reputation at H20.
      2. Why he thinks it's "vw for life" and hates on anyone who doesn't drive a vw
      3. Why he can't spell worth a damn
      Jason
      flickr

Vehicles
      2K Golf GLS 1.8T
      10-10-2012 02:40 AM #89
      I have been an Ocean City local practically all of my life, at least since I can remember as a kid. My family moved down to the local OC area when I was almost 3, I'm soon to be 27.

The VW/Audi scene as a whole is viewed as a younger crowd, period. I have asked locals opinions, young and old, and the vast majority of them view h2oi as a bunch of young drunk hooligans. It is sad, but that's the general consensus. The import scene has a major impact on this general opinion... as those who aren't into euro/import cars (or cars at all for that matter) view us ALL as "Oh, those little rice burner cars you kids drive? The one's that come down for that car show in the early summer right? Oh what, no? These are different? Oh, ok... they all look and sound the same to me". They don't know any better to distinguish one from the other... they just know it's generally a younger crowd who drives them. They also know that younger crowds tend to be drunk and rowdy. Can I blame them for this opinion? No. Because the vast majority of this crowd is late teens and 20's. At almost 27, I get called a kid ALOT. (I do look quite young for my age, but even after I tell someone I'm 26 they still say I'm a kid. I get over it.)

Lots of shenanigans and antics all up and down the sidewalks and parking lots on Coastal Highway. Vulgar things written on cars in painters tape or stickers. It honestly looks like a popularity contest of who can do the most ridiculous, attention grabbing thing... and there is absolutely no limit to where people will go to accomplish that. We have all seen how many people go to extremes to try and be funny. I'm all for MOST of it... live and laugh (hell, I rode around with a viking helmet on for a bit), but be prepared to pay consequences if your actions are disrespectful or unlawful. Not all people have a laid back sense of humor about your "show t!ts" sign. (I was at 45th Sunday night for this, I got some good laughs outta that night.) It's these things that DO stick out the most, and that's all these people are going to notice and remember around here. The local community is fairly small and close, news travels very quickly and barely skips over any ears. And it truly isn't just the VW/Audi crowd that gets talked about after they leave. Every event that comes here that is bikes or cars has it's bad apples... and they do NOT go unnoticed. I guarantee that import weekend would have as many pull overs and tickets as h2oi does... if it wasn't for the fact it is held during one of the busiest weekends of the season. Too much traffic and too much going on other than the cars in town for the show. h2oi doesn't have half the people in town who are here just to vacation for that weekend, but the amount of police in town is the same. This is why you see more police activity toward the event attendees.

Hot rod weekend... well... I do see them get away with a lot more crap than any of the other weekends get away with. The reasons why I can't even begin to understand. But I speculate that it's an accord of who doesn't love a muscle car or hot rod? We WANT to hear them burn out, see them race, pull wheelies, etc. I know I do... but that still doesn't mean they should. They still get in trouble just like we do... but yes, they do tend to get away with some things we don't. It's unfortunate and it's unfair, but I doubt it will ever change.

And just to be clear... I am not trying to bash one crowd or the other. Nor am I trying to defend anyone. Just giving my point of view as I can relate to all parties involved. Sorry it's such a ramble.
      I am also involved with the muscle/hot rod crowd. My boyfriend has a V8 swapped rx7 and we attend both events every year. I just wish to see all parties be happy... but I really doubt that's ever going to happen. However, I do believe if people REALLY care about h2o then they'll think twice before doing something that may be funny but completely disrespectful/unlawful. If more people can do this, maybe the opinion on us won't be AS bad.

Vehicles
      1992 12V 1992 16V 2012 TDI
      10-10-2012 08:18 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by CaitAnnihilate View Post
      I have been an Ocean City local practically all of my life, at least since I can remember as a kid. My family moved down to the local OC area when I was almost 3, I'm soon to be 27.

The VW/Audi scene as a whole is viewed as a younger crowd, period. I have asked locals opinions, young and old, and the vast majority of them view h2oi as a bunch of young drunk hooligans. It is sad, but that's the general consensus. The import scene has a major impact on this general opinion... as those who aren't into euro/import cars (or cars at all for that matter) view us ALL as "Oh, those little rice burner cars you kids drive? The one's that come down for that car show in the early summer right? Oh what, no? These are different? Oh, ok... they all look and sound the same to me". They don't know any better to distinguish one from the other... they just know it's generally a younger crowd who drives them. They also know that younger crowds tend to be drunk and rowdy. Can I blame them for this opinion? No. Because the vast majority of this crowd is late teens and 20's. At almost 27, I get called a kid ALOT. (I do look quite young for my age, but even after I tell someone I'm 26 they still say I'm a kid. I get over it.)

Lots of shenanigans and antics all up and down the sidewalks and parking lots on Coastal Highway. Vulgar things written on cars in painters tape or stickers. It honestly looks like a popularity contest of who can do the most ridiculous, attention grabbing thing... and there is absolutely no limit to where people will go to accomplish that. We have all seen how many people go to extremes to try and be funny. I'm all for MOST of it... live and laugh (hell, I rode around with a viking helmet on for a bit), but be prepared to pay consequences if your actions are disrespectful or unlawful. Not all people have a laid back sense of humor about your "show t!ts" sign. (I was at 45th Sunday night for this, I got some good laughs outta that night.) It's these things that DO stick out the most, and that's all these people are going to notice and remember around here. The local community is fairly small and close, news travels very quickly and barely skips over any ears. And it truly isn't just the VW/Audi crowd that gets talked about after they leave. Every event that comes here that is bikes or cars has it's bad apples... and they do NOT go unnoticed. I guarantee that import weekend would have as many pull overs and tickets as h2oi does... if it wasn't for the fact it is held during one of the busiest weekends of the season. Too much traffic and too much going on other than the cars in town for the show. h2oi doesn't have half the people in town who are here just to vacation for that weekend, but the amount of police in town is the same. This is why you see more police activity toward the event attendees.

Hot rod weekend... well... I do see them get away with a lot more crap than any of the other weekends get away with. The reasons why I can't even begin to understand. But I speculate that it's an accord of who doesn't love a muscle car or hot rod? We WANT to hear them burn out, see them race, pull wheelies, etc. I know I do... but that still doesn't mean they should. They still get in trouble just like we do... but yes, they do tend to get away with some things we don't. It's unfortunate and it's unfair, but I doubt it will ever change.

And just to be clear... I am not trying to bash one crowd or the other. Nor am I trying to defend anyone. Just giving my point of view as I can relate to all parties involved. Sorry it's such a ramble.
      I am also involved with the muscle/hot rod crowd. My boyfriend has a V8 swapped rx7 and we attend both events every year. I just wish to see all parties be happy... but I really doubt that's ever going to happen. However, I do believe if people REALLY care about h2o then they'll think twice before doing something that may be funny but completely disrespectful/unlawful. If more people can do this, maybe the opinion on us won't be AS bad.

This guy is spot on.

Anyone that can't understand and agree with what he took the time to type out, should just stop showing up in OC.

Vehicles
      Tractor, Moped & 4x4
      10-10-2012 09:11 AM #91
      What people seem to forget is that Ocean City as a whole embraces weekends like Bike week and Hot Rod week. Bars and restaurants offer specials, shops on the boardwalk and along the strip sell their merchandise, police are WAY more lenient those weekends because well, they are told they can be. When the city is running the show, they can do what they want. Why is it so hard for people to understand that? We go to OC every year as an outside who nobody down their understands, and that is what we are going to be treated like until we (as in the VW community) change what we are doing. Its that simple. There is no magic behind why we are hated. We make our own destiny when we are there. And right now, it is in the ****ter

I'm 100% positive that there are still DUI's and drug busts, and underage drinking going on those weekends such as bike and hot rod week. Its the beach, and they are HUGE events, so its bound to happen, but still on a much smaller scale then the weekend we are down there. Because the crowd is older, most definitely more responsible, and the entire town gets into the action. Its pretty obvious, it has been for years.

There is an older, more seasoned group of people within the VW community in Ocean City for H2o, but anymore that crowd is over shadowed by the younger, punkass I don't give a **** generation and that is the only part that the locals down there seem to notice. As locals they only see young kids, in overly expensive cars that their parents bought them, who have no regard for anyone but themself and the $4k worth of wheels on their pile of junk drifting around medians, and destroying their streets and everyone gets pissed at them because they judge us? When you sit back and look at it. In some ways you can't really blame them. They don't care that we spend thousands of dollars at their local businesses over one of the last semi busy weekends of the season, they don't care how much money Jay donates to local charities after it is all said and done. Because they don't understand us, they don't realize that their are good sides to the VW community, because nobody has shown them.

Want a crazy idea? It may be a far cry that will never be reached, but why not make an attempt to get the town on board and do something for charity while we are there? Everyone is all about the get togethers and whatnot when we are there, wouldn't that be one hell of a get together? And maybe it would allow us to shine some kind of positive light in our direction and show the locals that we can bring something good to their community? Not sure what exactly we could do. Early season toy drive? Drive for some kind of disability or disorder? Actually sounds pretty kick ass to me Maybe this will be passed on to the masses and get something in the works for '13..

Give them a chance to see who exactly we are, and the good we are capable of (while we are there). You can all sit behind a computer screen after your home and defend how well behaved and law abiding you were while you were there, but why not actually show the locals while we are there instead of trying to clean up the **** after the fact?!

17. Banned
      Vehicles
      Apple iCar on widened steelies
      10-10-2012 10:00 AM #92
      It's the idiots that throw beer bottles into traffic.

It's the idiots that run around the streets in masks and underwear.

It's the idiots that have 3% of their contact patch touching the road surface.

It's the idiots that think their chipped 1.8T with Thrush Rush Muffler is fast.

It's the idiots that go around keying people's cars.

It's mainly the idiot that chopped a hotel balcony down and wrapped himself around a pole.

Thank you Supra Guy

18. Banned
      Vehicles
      10-10-2012 10:02 AM #93
      I'd also like to state that Hot Rod weekend probably brings in Triple the people that H20 does and Hot Rods are American Tradition. Merica!

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 10:10 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by euro mafia affiliate View Post
      It's the idiots that throw beer bottles into traffic.

It's the idiots that run around the streets in masks and underwear.

It's the idiots that have 3% of their contact patch touching the road surface.

It's the idiots that think their chipped 1.8T with Thrush Rush Muffler is fast.

It's the idiots that go around keying people's cars.

It's mainly the idiot that chopped a hotel balcony down and wrapped himself around a pole.

Thank you Supra Guy
      It's the idiots like you, that think one guy in a Supra is the whole reason the city has a distaste for h2o. Try again bud.

I'd also like to state that Hot Rod weekend probably brings in Triple the people that H20 does and Hot Rods are American Tradition. Merica!
      You got that right. Triple the people generally equals triple the revenue.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 A4 APR Stage III
      10-10-2012 01:28 PM #95
      To OP:

Dude, what is going on with the springs I purchased from you..

I text, email, pm you and get no replies anymore. Havent gotten tracking info or springs at my door. If you dont plan to send them just refund me my money.'

Your inbox is full.

21. Banned
      Vehicles
      10-10-2012 01:30 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by BarryV View Post
      It's the idiots like you, that think one guy in a Supra is the whole reason the city has a distaste for h2o. Try again bud.

You got that right. Triple the people generally equals triple the revenue.
      This year is the worst that the cops have been in the last 9 years I have attended. I'm pretty sure that was the first time someone has hit a hotel balcony at 50+MPH in all of the years of H20.

I'm pretty sure that the cops were talking about that crash weeks prior to this years event. They cracked down very hard. I drove down in a 2Liter Hoopty this year. I was no more than 10 blocks into Ocean City when an officer at a traffic light says to me. "Tell all of your friends that we aren't giving out any warnings this year."

I am not an idiot.

That pretty much sums it up.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 01:39 PM #97
      This year is the worst that the cops have been in the last 9 years I have attended. I'm pretty sure that was the first time someone has hit a hotel balcony at 50+MPH in all of the years of H20.

I'm pretty sure that the cops were talking about that crash weeks prior to this years event. They cracked down very hard. I drove down in a 2Liter Hoopty this year. I was no more than 10 blocks into Ocean City when an officer at a traffic light says to me. "Tell all of your friends that we aren't giving out any warnings this year."

I am not an idiot.

That pretty much sums it up.

Maybe not, but the general assumption that has been floating around this year that cops were hard on h2o because of "that Supra from last year" is pretty idiotic. Take a second to read back through this thread, and you will see contributions of locals, describing why the general attitude towards VW's is not a fair one.

You think the cops are hard on us this year because of the Supra? I guess they were REALLY hard on us the year following Cort's little track run...

Oh wait... they were... and it had nothing to do with Cort

A buddy of mine stopped by our condo on Wed night to give us a run down of the changes in the laws, and what the OCPD would be looking for and cracking down on. Guess what? Supra's drifting into condo's was not on the list

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      10-10-2012 01:45 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Mitchfalk10 View Post
      To OP:

Dude, what is going on with the springs I purchased from you..

I text, email, pm you and get no replies anymore. Havent gotten tracking info or springs at my door. If you dont plan to send them just refund me my money.'

Your inbox is full.
      Sending pm

24. 10-10-2012 10:17 PM #99
      OCPD apparently doesn't uphold the law when it comes to hot rods. I personally agree with the general rule that if you're caught doing something clearly illegal, then you get a ticket... But to ignore what goes on during hot rod weekends and close their eyes to the bullsh!t they get away with is beyond fcuked up.

The best for last...

Vehicles
      03 Turbo S
      10-11-2012 06:55 AM #100
      I was there Thur nite, Fri nite and Sat nite. Believe me when I tell you, the cops were pulling over car left and right. And for the same reasons they pull over people at H20. Basically because the driver is acting like a dou@#bag. Most of the cars pulled over were younger kids in mustangs and camaro's, launching light to light, but there were older offenders getting tickets as well.
      Peace Love and Tail of the Dragon.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast