Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Finally!! I mean it only took 2years

1. Member
      Vehicles
      04 audi a4, 97A4S4
      10-06-2012 12:56 PM #1
      First off I want to say I hate Insurance companies. I understand they have a job to do, but 2.5years really 2.5 years!!!!!! Long story short because I could rant on about this all day. So Back in 2010 I was rear ended at a red light while going to lunch in A4 by a " Foreigner " as I got his information, notice a big smile on his face while his wife is was in the car smiling also. About 9months went by with me calling this insurance company consistanly they finally sent someone out to give me an estimate. An estimate of $300 with 3hours of labor to have a shop take the bumper off, sand and paint.

I work at a dealership so I had the body shop take a look at it. Instantly the manager said," WTF three hours??, your bumper needs to taken off, preped ,completely sanded all the way down. The amount that it will cost your better of buying a new bumper." After being told that I don't see where this insurance company got that from. So after all of that once again I didn't hear from that insurance company for yet a couple months again. I gave them a phone call to see what was going on an I was told that they weren't going to do anything, cut me a check etc because they needed to talk to their insurer to get his side of the story. " Thinking to myself....... Foreigner...... Accident.......Insurance Company YEAH his a** went back home."

Dealing with all of this caused me to drive down to H2O 2011 with a pealing/Cracked up bumper. Luckily I found a bandade sticker at one of the vendors to slap on it while i was down there lol.

Anyways Its October 2012 and this past Tuesday I FINALLY GOT THE CALL that the guys insurance company is going to Pay to have it fixed the right way, Hopefully. Here's my Issue though since had to wait so damn long I want more to be done. I WANT MY WHOLE CAR REPAINTED. It prob wont happen but thats what I want done. Think about it, its been 2 plus years since this accident. My car is 8years with its original paint when I get my bumper done its going to have that fresh coat of paint and clear that when im driving down the road people will know that it was painted compared to the rest of the car. What do you guys think should I do??? I mean should I even try get them to do that or leave it alone. I know there are some people that feel the same way about this type of stuff as I do. Also If anyone knows/Has a B6 S4 an wants to sell their Rear Bumper And Front Bumper let me know Please Thanks

Vehicles
      04_A4_1.8TQ_APR_K04+, 08_X5_4.8i; Previous: 01_A4_1.8_TQ, 01_Golf, 01_Jetta, 93_Passat_VR6_+_Garrett
      10-07-2012 08:50 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by OdD1OuT View Post
      First off I want to say I hate Insurance companies. I understand they have a job to do, but 2.5years really 2.5 years!!!!!! Long story short because I could rant on about this all day. So Back in 2010 I was rear ended at a red light while going to lunch in A4 by a " Foreigner " as I got his information, notice a big smile on his face while his wife is was in the car smiling also. About 9months went by with me calling this insurance company consistanly they finally sent someone out to give me an estimate. An estimate of $300 with 3hours of labor to have a shop take the bumper off, sand and paint.

I work at a dealership so I had the body shop take a look at it. Instantly the manager said," WTF three hours??, your bumper needs to taken off, preped ,completely sanded all the way down. The amount that it will cost your better of buying a new bumper." After being told that I don't see where this insurance company got that from. So after all of that once again I didn't hear from that insurance company for yet a couple months again. I gave them a phone call to see what was going on an I was told that they weren't going to do anything, cut me a check etc because they needed to talk to their insurer to get his side of the story. " Thinking to myself....... Foreigner...... Accident.......Insurance Company YEAH his a** went back home."

Dealing with all of this caused me to drive down to H2O 2011 with a pealing/Cracked up bumper. Luckily I found a bandade sticker at one of the vendors to slap on it while i was down there lol.

Anyways Its October 2012 and this past Tuesday I FINALLY GOT THE CALL that the guys insurance company is going to Pay to have it fixed the right way, Hopefully. Here's my Issue though since had to wait so damn long I want more to be done. I WANT MY WHOLE CAR REPAINTED. It prob wont happen but thats what I want done. Think about it, its been 2 plus years since this accident. My car is 8years with its original paint when I get my bumper done its going to have that fresh coat of paint and clear that when im driving down the road people will know that it was painted compared to the rest of the car. What do you guys think should I do??? I mean should I even try get them to do that or leave it alone. I know there are some people that feel the same way about this type of stuff as I do. Also If anyone knows/Has a B6 S4 an wants to sell their Rear Bumper And Front Bumper let me know Please Thanks
      Maybe I do not fully understand what you are writing but here are few words of advice. I hope this helps you fix the bumper and not see the paint difference.

I have no idea of how many places you had quote the repair. So, first stop everything you are doing and go to at least three body shops and have them quote the total cost of the repair with these additional things in mind. Go to reputable shops.

Once you have a shop (even if it is in scene), to get the right price in the quote
      - ask the paint shop to fix the bumper (removal, reassembly)
      - next ask them to blend the paint into the existing body panels

these are the two most important things to get everything to match.

More about blending.
      When blending the bumper into the fenders make sure the do this with the bumper on the rear of the car, slid onto the rear shocks but few inches away from the fenders (unbolted)
      You will need that done this way so the spry pattern is the same on both parts. I do not want to tell you I know this from experience, but rather from painting my front and back bumpers over three times (yop! dumb people driving into my bumpers , the first time, car looked like crap)
      Reason why you are blending is as follows:
      - The paint you will get will never fully match the color of your car.
      - This paint (even if you use 3m) is not what the manufacturer used to pain the car originally.
      - The straight lines on the bumper, at the meeting point of fenders, are unforgiving. Drive around your town and start looking at the A4's or S4's you can tell who had their bumper painted.

Do the blending and you will not be able to tell the repair.
      Finally, the foreigners (and by the way, I am a foreigner and your use of this term is bull) insurance company may want to be the one doing the repair. Do not let them, you have the right to use any shop you want to (unless your state laws prohibit free market).
      Take the car and have it fixed at the shop of your liking.

I am kicking you in the nuts for the foreigner remarks, but this should work for you.
      No offense taken, but your nuts are hurting.

Good Luck.
      Last edited by gregg3gs; 10-07-2012 at 08:55 AM.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04 audi a4, 97A4S4
      10-07-2012 12:08 PM #3
      Thanks For that. Im looking as we speak to find a good shop to do this an also to find more than 1 estimate. Hopefully I can find a good place to get this job. As you said i guess its more about how its blended rather than just painted

Im not a painter so i wouldnt know. lol an no hard feelings on the foreigner thing. Haha I rather say that then to bust on where that person was really from. But once again thanks on the reply.

Vehicles
      04_A4_1.8TQ_APR_K04+, 08_X5_4.8i; Previous: 01_A4_1.8_TQ, 01_Golf, 01_Jetta, 93_Passat_VR6_+_Garrett
      10-07-2012 02:32 PM #4
      No problem, and you are welcome.

I would suggest you check your local scene and ask around who paints the aftermarket audi/vw cars.
      This way, later when you start modying yours, you may have developed good contact.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04 audi a4, 97A4S4
      10-08-2012 12:43 PM #5
      Other than the basic Stg2 Uni tune i got, Im now to modifing the car nothing crazy but like the s4 rear bumper an all that. Do you know any good places, Websites to get like aftermarket bumpers or even OEM?

Because im not going to be paying for it. but ive seen like Deval has a decent bumper but i hear their stuff sucks, and i know if i got to Audi the S4 Rear is going to cost a little penny