Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 106

    Thread: Puddle Lights - DIY (a piece of cake)

    1. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      10-06-2012 04:12 PM #1
      Alright, I swapped out my bulbs yesterday with LEDs.

      The process takes about 5 minutes for each side.

      Tools required:

      1- Angle wrench (see pics) or a similar angled tool
      2- Cloth
      3- Screwdriver with torx bits
      4- Size 194 LED bulbs

      Detail Steps:

      1- Wrap the curved part of the wrench with the towel.


      2- Tilt mirror all the way down, and place the angled wrench behind the mirror and pry out, use a quick nudge, usually two nudges will do it. Do not attempt to do this on the sides of the mirror, left or right...that's where the cracking will occur.


      3- Unscrew the 3 torx screws holding the tilt module in place. Have pliers ready to catch the screws. Screws falling into the mirror housing will no longer be a quick job.


      4- Tilt module is now out. Pull out the black wire housing (the thick housing with the white sticker around it, that's holding all the wires together) from the plastic clip for better access. I'm pointing to the clip below



      5- The blue and green wires connect to the bulb harness that needs to be removed.


      6- Pull out the bulb harness with pliers. Be extra careful and do this slowly. My first time, the bulb came lose and fell inside the light housing. I ended up taking apart the entire mirror assembly to remove it.


      7- Here is he 194 bulb.


      8- Swap it out with your LED bulb and open the door to make sure the bulb lights up before putting it all back together! LEDs have poles, so if it doesn't light up one way, turn the bulb around and put the base in the other way.


      Put everything back together and you will now enjoy this quick mod the next time you unlock or open the door.


      And here is the bulb I used. Size 194 from eBay. I bought a dozen of them for $4.99

      Last edited by KOWCC; 02-18-2013 at 06:59 AM.
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    2. Member
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2009
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat CC 2.0T 6MT
      10-06-2012 04:26 PM #2
      Great writeup. Although I fear If I do this I'll end up wanting to match all the other lights (license plate, interior, etc.) too.

    3. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      10-06-2012 04:44 PM #3
      I hear you!! In my case my car throws error codes if I try to swap any other bulb, so when that happens I just use Hyperwhite bulbs as I did on my license plate. They are not as white as LEDs, but a hell of alot better than yellow! So color wise my plate doesn't match my puddle lights 100%, but I'm ok with that...nothing in life is perfect
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Queens, New York
      Posts
      211
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      10-06-2012 07:52 PM #4
      Great detailed write up with pics.

    5. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      10-06-2012 08:01 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Los1 View Post
      Great detailed write up with pics.
      I try to make it as easy as possible
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2012
      Location
      Chiberia, IL
      Posts
      3,940
      Vehicles
      Audi A4'97--> Subie WRX'07 Stage 3+--> Murano--> VW GTi'11--> VW CC 2011 now
      10-06-2012 09:40 PM #6
      No No No!!! Itsnt going to work, buddy!!! I want some DSLR n HD shots in here
      Last edited by Stero1D; 10-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.
      Ko4 ClubCC: CTS AIS,BW Ko4,Neuspeed FMIC,APR DSG,UNI DV Reloc Kit,Forge DV,CTS CCan,BSH Throttle,R8 Coils,R8 Oil Cap,Porsche Coolant Cap,APR DP,Milltek CBE,BSH Torque Mnt,VRC13/Hancook V12,SHS Coils,Hotchkis 27mm RSB,Dectane Headlights,5K/3k Morimoto,RLine Tails,Flat MFSW/shifters,Fully LEDed,WT 27%,Aspherical Mrrs,Alum Interior Accents/Vents&etc In Process:DevilsOwn Stg 2 Install Soon NexT:Ran out of Ideas

    7. Member Grajjie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2012
      Location
      New York City
      Posts
      127
      Vehicles
      2013 CC 3.6L Executive Black/Black
      10-06-2012 11:16 PM #7
      Very nice and detailed write up. I will definitely be doing this soon.

    8. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      10-07-2012 12:19 AM #8
      Great, good luck!
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    9. 10-07-2012 08:51 AM #9
      Did you try error free LED's? Just google it and you will find plenty of LED's that are designed for European cars

    10. 10-07-2012 08:53 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by KOWCC View Post
      I hear you!! In my case my car throws error codes if I try to swap any other bulb, so when that happens I just use Hyperwhite bulbs as I did on my license plate. They are not as white as LEDs, but a hell of alot better than yellow! So color wise my plate doesn't match my puddle lights 100%, but I'm ok with that...nothing in life is perfect
      Did you try error free LED's? Just google it and you will find plenty of LED's that are designed for European cars

    11. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      10-07-2012 08:01 PM #11
      The puddle lights do not get tested by the CECM. I did not get any errors. However I've purchased several sets of error free bulbs for use around my car and they were specifically designed for VW and all claimed to be error free. They STILL throw an error code. It just won't take any LEDs. Tried about 10 sets for my plate, literally 10 sets, even tried resistors. Believe me I have toooo much experience with this and they don't work. Even bulbs from ECS and Pyspeed who guaranteed me no codes, still threw codes. Specifically the 2012 lux limited trim has an upgraded CECM over the other trim packages due to its internal ambient lighting. That trim hates LEDs. All my friends with 2012s that are lower than the the lux limited use the same bulbs without errors.
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    12. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Dubai
      Posts
      78
      Vehicles
      2013 CC 3.6
      12-17-2012 10:53 PM #12
      So I got the LED lights today. I do however have a question, before I start taking my mirrors apart. I know how I have to take the mirror off (basically the first step of the whole process), but my question is how do I put it back in there again? Glue?

    13. Member
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2009
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat CC 2.0T 6MT
      12-17-2012 11:52 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by boogiedownberlin View Post
      So I got the LED lights today. I do however have a question, before I start taking my mirrors apart. I know how I have to take the mirror off (basically the first step of the whole process), but my question is how do I put it back in there again? Glue?
      The mirrors are held in by small clips, so you can just simply pop them back in again. Easy.

    14. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Dubai
      Posts
      78
      Vehicles
      2013 CC 3.6
      12-18-2012 01:13 PM #14
      Did it today. Was a bit scared on the first mirror and took over 15mins, but the end one took like 5 minutes. Thanks for the instructions and help guys

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Queens, New York
      Posts
      211
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      12-25-2012 03:50 PM #15
      Well I managed to get the mirror off without cracking it relatively quick due to this great write up but the darn led light bulb fell in the small light housing. Are there any solutions to retrieve the bulb without taking apart the entire housing?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Location
      LA, CA
      Posts
      474
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport with Light - Island Grey
      12-25-2012 07:32 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Los1 View Post
      Well I managed to get the mirror off without cracking it relatively quick due to this great write up but the darn led light bulb fell in the small light housing. Are there any solutions to retrieve the bulb without taking apart the entire housing?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Actually the housing can be popped out
      If you push it firmly it will be come off
      There is holding tap inside of housing so you can push in the outer side of the lamp housing

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Queens, New York
      Posts
      211
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      12-25-2012 08:03 PM #17
      Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot this weekend.

    18. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      40
      Vehicles
      2.0T CC DSG
      12-26-2012 12:58 PM #18
      same here. i'm going to try this soon. great diy instruction .

    19. Member DasCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2009
      Location
      West Coast
      Posts
      3,851
      Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      12-26-2012 06:50 PM #19
      solid writeup

    20. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      01-17-2013 10:54 PM #20
      Thx guys, glad it helped!
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    21. Member Joef1sh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      351
      Vehicles
      2009 CC VR6 4Motion
      03-03-2013 01:44 PM #21
      Well THAT was an expensive mistake...



      Word of warning: Do NOT use a flathead screwdriver (all I had) to attempt to remove the glass. I wrapped mine in a thick terry cloth and it still cracked both mirrors. I should have learned my lesson the first time, but even trying to pry it from a different location, it cracked anyway.

      I removed the glass from my MKV Jetta the same way and it was a piece of cake. I seriously think VW used thinner glass on these CC's. I barely nudged them and this is the result.

    22. 03-03-2013 07:40 PM #22
      Great write up and now bookmarked on my phone. I will be doing thins in the next few days.

      Thank you KOWCC

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Queens, New York
      Posts
      211
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      03-03-2013 08:06 PM #23
      The write up is definitely great. I broke a mirror on the first attempt and then I decided to give up. I ordered the blue tinted aspherical mirrors and give it a second try with much success. I used a plastic angled pry tool that I purchased from my local auto store and followed the steps from the write up.

    24. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      03-03-2013 08:19 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Joef1sh View Post
      Well THAT was an expensive mistake...



      Word of warning: Do NOT use a flathead screwdriver (all I had) to attempt to remove the glass. I wrapped mine in a thick terry cloth and it still cracked both mirrors. I should have learned my lesson the first time, but even trying to pry it from a different location, it cracked anyway.

      I removed the glass from my MKV Jetta the same way and it was a piece of cake. I seriously think VW used thinner glass on these CC's. I barely nudged them and this is the result.
      That's why I used that tool buddy. It has much more surface area than the flat head (its all about surface area, to spread the force) plus it has than angle, so the force is only directed straight outwards.
      Last edited by KOWCC; 03-03-2013 at 08:23 PM.
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    25. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      03-03-2013 08:19 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
      Great write up and now bookmarked on my phone. I will be doing thins in the next few days.

      Thank you KOWCC
      Will, any questions let me know...here to help.
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Queens, New York
      Posts
      211
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      03-03-2013 08:29 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by KOWCC View Post
      That's why I used that tool buddy. It has much more surface area than the flat head (its all about surface area, to spread the force) plus it has than angle, so the force is only directed straight outwards.
      You know your stuff. Thanks for sharing as you have helped me out in the past.

    27. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      03-03-2013 10:05 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Los1 View Post
      You know your stuff. Thanks for sharing as you have helped me out in the past.
      Anytime brother.........I'm here to learn as well.
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    28. Member BORA RSI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2001
      Location
      Chicago burbs
      Posts
      1,540
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      03-03-2013 11:08 PM #28
      @Joef1sh Why not use your fingers to pull them instead. That's what I have done to mine and two others works better imo. Now you can upgrade them at least
      OEM+

    29. Member Joef1sh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      351
      Vehicles
      2009 CC VR6 4Motion
      03-04-2013 01:21 AM #29
      I tried, but couldn't get enough grip on them to pull them off. Even with them tilted all the way down. I didn't want to drive around without mirrors while a set of blind-spot's would have to be shipped, so I just swung by the stealership and got another set. I'll chalk this one up to being ill prepared. I picked up a nice set of trim removal tools this weekend, so I won't make the same mistake...uh...3 times.

    30. Member MikeinNJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2007
      Location
      Central Jersey
      Posts
      884
      Vehicles
      13 CC R-Line
      03-07-2013 06:46 PM #30
      Just did mine with the 194 bulbs from superbrightleds. Looks awesome! No glass broken either.

      Though, I did the driver's side first and when I was squeezing the bulb socket back into it's housing, the bulb came out of the socket and fell inside the housing. Had to disassemble the whole mirror in the middle of the rain/snow storm we're currently having to fish it out and start all over. Got it in ok, then hooked the mirror glass back up and sealed it up. Then realized that I didn't tuck the harness back under its hook. Had to pull it again. The passenger side, I was done in about 10min. Yes, it's also dark out right now. Yes, I am nuts. So worth it though!

    31. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      03-07-2013 07:40 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeinNJ View Post
      Just did mine with the 194 bulbs from superbrightleds. Looks awesome! No glass broken either.

      Though, I did the driver's side first and when I was squeezing the bulb socket back into it's housing, the bulb came out of the socket and fell inside the housing. Had to disassemble the whole mirror in the middle of the rain/snow storm we're currently having to fish it out and start all over. Got it in ok, then hooked the mirror glass back up and sealed it up. Then realized that I didn't tuck the harness back under its hook. Had to pull it again. The passenger side, I was done in about 10min. Yes, it's also dark out right now. Yes, I am nuts. So worth it though!
      Lol, we are all nuts....nothing at all stops us....I gotta say for me personally nothing stops me from working on my car, except for darkness...I must have light!
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    32. Member MikeinNJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2007
      Location
      Central Jersey
      Posts
      884
      Vehicles
      13 CC R-Line
      03-07-2013 09:07 PM #32
      KOWCC, for your Sencart puddle lamp bulbs, do they fade in/out like the incandescents do or do they have a sort of stepped, digital fading? The ones that I got from superbrightleds do an almost flickery, stepped dimming on and off. Also, they are definitely not as bright as the ones you posted in the other thread. They are about the same light output as stock, maybe a bit more, but do have a nice cool white color temp.
      Last edited by MikeinNJ; 03-07-2013 at 09:20 PM.

    33. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      03-07-2013 09:18 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeinNJ View Post
      KOWCC, for your Sencart puddle lamp bumps, do they fade in/out like the incandescents do or do they have a sort of stepped, digital fading? The ones that I got from superbrightleds do an almost flickery, stepped dimming on and off. Also, they are definitely not as bright as the ones you posted in the other thread. They are about the same light output as stock, maybe a bit more, but do have a nice cool white color temp.
      Yes same style fading in/out as you described....not a consistent soft fade in/out, but almost like a flicker on/off... When they flicker the light never turns off completely, but its like a digital in and out exactly as you described....yes the sencarts are extremely bright.
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    34. Member MikeinNJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2007
      Location
      Central Jersey
      Posts
      884
      Vehicles
      13 CC R-Line
      03-07-2013 09:22 PM #34
      Ok, thanks! Also, I wouldn't mind that extra brightness, though I know I would really be chancing it to change these bulbs out TWICE without losing any screws or cracking the glass.

    35. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      03-08-2013 12:56 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeinNJ View Post
      Ok, thanks! Also, I wouldn't mind that extra brightness, though I know I would really be chancing it to change these bulbs out TWICE without losing any screws or cracking the glass.
      After the first time, it's a piece of cake.....done it a handful of times
      '12 CW CC LUX LTD DSG.....

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •