Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: First service debacle

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 TT, Dakota Gray with Titanium interior
      10-06-2012 06:26 PM #1
      Took my TT to the dealer yesterday for the 15k mile service. Parked the car in the garage last night and left early this morning for work. Returned home an hour ago to find this on my garage floor. Of course the service dept has closed for the day and won't be back until Monday. Now I will have to travel over 100 miles round trip to have them correct this. What a waste of my time. Not a very good way to start my Audi service experience.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-06-2012 06:29 PM #2
      Pics

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-06-2012 06:32 PM #3
      Can't seem to get images to stick. Needless to say, there is a 3 foot by 1.5 foot puddle of oil on the garage floor.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW e92 m3
      10-06-2012 06:41 PM #4
      Current: 2015 Subaru WRX STi Launch Edition
      Past: 2011 BMW e92 m3
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      2009 VW GTI

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS
      10-06-2012 07:05 PM #5
      If your drain plug is loose I wouldn't drive 100 miles, it might fall out and your engine will seize. See if you can tighten it yourself first or drive to the closest shop.
      2012 TT RS, UM tune, sport exhaust

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-06-2012 08:38 PM #6
      That's not good. What model TT is it? Definitely don't drive it without checking the oil level / taking a look under the car to tighten up any drain fittings. Ask Audi to tow it if necessary.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 06:15 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      That's not good. What model TT is it? Definitely don't drive it without checking the oil level / taking a look under the car to tighten up any drain fittings. Ask Audi to tow it if necessary.
      It is a 2011 TT.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi TTS Comp Package
      10-07-2012 08:12 AM #8
      You need to make sure it has enough oil....check it and see if the oil is coming from the plug or the filter....tighten which ever it's coming from. Not a good start to a good relationship.

Look under your car to see if that much oil is coming out, it's probably all under the undercarriage of the car too-make them clean it all off! What a mess!

Good luck.

What dealer is it?
      Current: 2015 Audi TT S Competition Package
      Plans: Xpel clear bra, Gtechniq all over, H&R Sport Springs, H&R front and rear bars.
      Past: 2011 Audi TT S, Black on Black
      Clear bra, H&R Sport Springs, Magride, Neuspeed 25mm front and rear sway bars

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Black Panther CF Mirrors
      10-07-2012 08:49 AM #9
      DO NOT START YOUR CAR without checking the Oil Level

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 09:01 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla View Post
      You need to make sure it has enough oil....check it and see if the oil is coming from the plug or the filter....tighten which ever it's coming from. Not a good start to a good relationship.

Look under your car to see if that much oil is coming out, it's probably all under the undercarriage of the car too-make them clean it all off! What a mess!

Good luck.

What dealer is it?
      Oil at low end of normal this morning. Will ask dealership, Audi of Wilmington, to trailer the car back to the dealership to address and clean the underside. Will also request a loaner car while this is being performed. The worst part is that I live on-base, I'm in the Air Force, and will have to clean the garage floor. I have cardboard under the car right now to reduce further mess. Any tips for cleanup -- kitty litter, Simple Green? May be too late for kitty litter as it has already soaked into the concrete.

Vehicles
      06 A3 3.2Q,06 NB,05 GLI,12 CSBE
      10-07-2012 11:11 AM #11
      Well that's not good! I would go with having it flat bedded to the dealer and they maybe can deliver the loaner when they send the flat bed.
      I would definitely use Simple Green to remove the stain after absorbing the oil. Good luck and if it's a fairly new concrete surface it might have a stain resistant coating. Please follow up with your outcome and treatment by the dealer.

10-07-2012 12:19 PM #12
      Audi of Wilmington in DE?!?!?! If so, I've had nothing but good service from them for years. This is really surprising if it is them.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, Tech Pack, Heated Alcantara, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, DG Rear Valence
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, HRE P40, AWE Boost Gauge, Tinted Tails and Reflectors, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield
      Winter: Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; Track: TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 02:32 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      Audi of Wilmington in DE?!?!?! If so, I've had nothing but good service from them for years. This is really surprising if it is them.
      Yes, the one in Wilmington, DE. Every dealership has its share of mistakes, but it is how they deal with them that makes the difference. I will be sure to update this tomorrow.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 07:24 PM #14
      Put lime on the oil stain and it will lift it right off.

Vehicles
      2013 TT-RS; APR Stage 2
      10-07-2012 08:24 PM #15
      ♩♬ You put da lime on the oil stain...and lift it right off! ♪♫

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 08:31 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by rp5311 View Post
      Put lime on the oil stain and it will lift it right off.
      Never would have thought of that. I will have to give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always make lime aid

Vehicles
      2013 MINI Cooper S, 2013 Audi TT-RS
      10-08-2012 01:28 PM #17
      HA! And to think I was going to buy the maintenance plan.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 01:38 PM #18
      Update: Car towed to dealership by Audi Roadside Assistance and I had to accompany the tow truck to the dealership. Service manager said it was a "drain plug failure". I looked at the drain plug and all of the threads were intact. They replaced the drain plug and ran the car for 10 minutes with no leaks. The "drain plug failure" was more likely a failure to tighten adequately.
      In return for 4 1/2 hours of my day off, I was given some "pig pads" to absorb the oil on the garage floor and the promise of a full detail when I come in for my next service. I've never had my car detailed by a dealership before, but I'm guessing it is performed by someone with minimal training and a heavy hand on a polisher.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 04:17 PM #19
      And the saga continues... two hours in the driveway and two 5-inch oil stains. So, its back to the dealership to replace the oil pan and in the meantime I will be driving some econobox from Enterprise. My daughter has gotten a Q7, a Q5, an A6 and an A4 when she has brought her A4 in for service, and that car is in my name! WTF!

Vehicles
      2013 TTS Prestige. Previously 2001 TT QC, 2004 QC and 2010 QC
      10-08-2012 04:38 PM #20
      MAN! Time to find another dealer/garage! You should not be in an Enterprise car when it is thier fault for whatever is going on. The only time I have ever had other than an Audi loaner is when they are completely booked out and I can't wait for a service appointment. Something is definitely not right here.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 06:06 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by RoadTTripper View Post
      MAN! Time to find another dealer/garage! You should not be in an Enterprise car when it is thier fault for whatever is going on. The only time I have ever had other than an Audi loaner is when they are completely booked out and I can't wait for a service appointment. Something is definitely not right here.
      That is the difference between living in Dover and my daughter living in Houston. The dealership in Wilmington does not have any loaner cars.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 07:07 PM #22
      Do NOT let the dealer detail your car TRUST ME!!!!! i have a flag on mine not to even wash it being the one and only time i let them wash it they put so many swirl marks on it that it that i spent a day buffing them out.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 08:28 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by rp5311 View Post
      Do NOT let the dealer detail your car TRUST ME!!!!! i have a flag on mine not to even wash it being the one and only time i let them wash it they put so many swirl marks on it that it that i spent a day buffing them out.
      The bottom of the car will be the issue not the top....have you looked under it to see if the oil is all under it blown back all the way to the back....on everything? That's what happened to my R32 when they left the DSG plug loose after a "free" recall service. Made the nicely patina'd car look like it has blown a motor or something major at one time....when it was a pampered car that looked fantastic on the topside!

I agree-don't let them detail your car unless you can't do it.
      Plans: Xpel clear bra, Gtechniq all over, H&R Sport Springs, H&R front and rear bars.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 08:33 PM #24
      I don't believe it is the DSG plug as the majority of the oil seems to be pooling in the under body tray and leaking out from there. Extremely frustrating and hard to understand since the car was perfect before going in for routine service. I will mention the DSG plug in the hopes of avoiding replacement of the oil pan.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:32 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by kjmurphy View Post
      I don't believe it is the DSG plug as the majority of the oil seems to be pooling in the under body tray and leaking out from there. Extremely frustrating and hard to understand since the car was perfect before going in for routine service. I will mention the DSG plug in the hopes of avoiding replacement of the oil pan.
      No, I'm saying that's what they did to mine.....yours sounds like the oil drain plug was left loose.....make them clean the bottom and do the top yourself. Is there oil all under the car?

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2012 08:03 PM #26
      No, the majority of the underside was free of oil. The dealer ended up replacing the oil pan which leads me to believe that the drain was stripped. I think I will take my business elsewhere.