Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 65

    Thread: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell"

    1. Member mx5er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      13,081
      10-06-2012 06:29 PM #1
      For realz??? And this guy is on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology with Todd Atkin .

      http://news.yahoo.com/congressman-ca...175514039.html



      Holy hell, that background is creepy

      A part if me is hoping that the guy is just saying what the audience wants to hear. But then again, we have people like Todd Atkin and Sarah Palin.

      I bet Bill Nye the Science guy is like "oh no he deedn't

    2. Member Crimping Is Easy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2012
      Location
      Findlay, Ohio
      Posts
      3,464
      Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude, 1984 Honda Gyro
      10-06-2012 06:31 PM #2
      inb4 "all _______ think that way because this guy does."
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      Go to bed or we're going for a drive in the Durango.

    3. Member Ubel GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2006
      Location
      The Midwest
      Posts
      9,363
      Vehicles
      Golf R, KTM 450SMR, Ducati Monster
      10-06-2012 06:32 PM #3
      What a turd. Bring back NASA funding. The reason more intelligent people aren't in politics is because they're all too busy actually doing ****.

    4. 10-06-2012 06:44 PM #4
      At this rate OT won't even make it past November 6th

    5. Member worth_fixing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Montreal, Qc
      Posts
      3,430
      Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS
      10-06-2012 06:47 PM #5
      Yeah but there's a lot of scientific data that he found out as a scientist. I believe him. Because that's what the bible says.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

    6. 10-06-2012 07:00 PM #6
      ok, the earth is some 9000 years old... his "manufacturers manual" shows up some 7000 years later... good job manufacturer.

      he's probably playing for the crowd. anti-intelectualism has become so wide-spread here in the states it can really be the only platform that propels one to political success. we WILL suffer as a society because of this trend.

    7. Banned butterface's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2002
      Posts
      7,723
      10-06-2012 07:36 PM #7
      Evilution!

    8. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,190
      10-06-2012 07:39 PM #8
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    9. 10-06-2012 08:32 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      For realz??? . But then again, we have people like Todd Atkin and Sarah Palin.
      And Democrats who ask if the Martian rover can find where "we" landed, or if Guam might tip over. A lack of objective thought isn't limited to either party...

    10. Senior Member VarianceVQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2005
      Location
      Fancy, Connecticut
      Posts
      20,283
      Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      10-06-2012 08:34 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      And Democrats who ask if the Martian rover can find where "we" landed, or if Guam might tip over. A lack of objective thought isn't limited to either party...
      Damn, you really believe in this "equal time" stuff.
      Esi ϟ Disi

    11. Banned roadtripper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2003
      Posts
      4,010
      10-06-2012 08:41 PM #11
      laugh away. now go back and read the akin thread and see what everyone had to say and predict about his future. now consider that he stayed in the race, grand old g.o.p. faithful (or what passes for it nowadays) kept their money with him, and he very well may win. what a country.

      it makes sense. they'd need a stone age mentality to convince people they were right. just stop and honestly consider what has happened to science and intellectualism in america since the fat chick started up with the cigars. we're under attack. make smart babies and live well.

    12. Member 200HP4dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      NE. OH
      Posts
      8,317
      10-06-2012 08:42 PM #12
      Its interesting because a lot of Christians actually believe in evolution to an extent. You have old earth creationists, because the word in Hebrew that's used in Genesis can either mean "day", "era", or "period of time". Then you have young earth creationists who believe the proper way to translate that word is "day".

      I used to be a young earth creationist until I started doing word studies into the Greek and Hebrew. If I learned nothing else, a lot of people preach opinion and don't bother to offer that other ways of interpreting may be correct.

      ^Will this get me banned?

      Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

    13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      64,224
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-06-2012 08:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Its interesting because a lot of Christians actually believe in evolution to an extent. You have old earth creationists, because the word in Hebrew that's used in Genesis can either mean "day", "era", or "period of time". Then you have young earth creationists who believe the proper way to translate that word is "day".

      I used to be a young earth creationist until I started doing word studies into the Greek and Hebrew. If I learned nothing else, a lot of people preach opinion and don't bother to offer that other ways of interpreting may be correct.

      ^Will this get me banned?

      Chris
      If you want to gain personal power by controlling a population.. would you want people to think for themselves?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,482
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-06-2012 08:52 PM #14
      Republican? Yep. The anti-science party.


      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Its interesting because a lot of Christians actually believe in evolution to an extent. You have old earth creationists, because the word in Hebrew that's used in Genesis can either mean "day", "era", or "period of time". Then you have young earth creationists who believe the proper way to translate that word is "day".
      The only reason to think a "day" is 24 hours is because the story is of our world, although the term of a day for this world wouldn't have existed until the 7th day. What unit of time was used during the first six days? How relevant is the concept of time to a being with eternal life?
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    15. 10-06-2012 08:53 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Damn, you really believe in this "equal time" stuff.
      Nah, it's more of an "equally vapid" thing w/me.

    16. Member under the radar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2007
      Location
      NOR-CAL COASTSIDE
      Posts
      10,260
      Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      10-06-2012 08:54 PM #16
      it makes me sad to think of how advanced mankind might be if we weren't constantly held back by religion.
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,482
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-06-2012 08:55 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by under the radar View Post
      it makes me sad to think of how advanced mankind might be if we weren't constantly held back by religion.
      Or political parties.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    18. Member 200HP4dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      NE. OH
      Posts
      8,317
      10-06-2012 09:03 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Republican? Yep. The anti-science party.




      The only reason to think a "day" is 24 hours is because the story is of our world, although the term of a day for this world wouldn't have existed until the 7th day. What unit of time was used during the first six days? How relevant is the concept of time to a being with eternal life?
      Well, the original audience would have been a monotheistic group of slaves recently freed from a polytheistic society. It really didn't matter whether yom meant a year or a day. The emphasis was on "God created".
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

    19. Banned roadtripper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2003
      Posts
      4,010
      10-06-2012 09:03 PM #19
      Or political parties.
      only one hates science.

    20. Member 200HP4dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      NE. OH
      Posts
      8,317
      10-06-2012 09:04 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by under the radar View Post
      it makes me sad to think of how advanced mankind might be if we weren't constantly held back by power hungry people.
      FTFY.

      Everybody has a religion. Some of your leaders have pointy hats while others worship a bean. *shrug*
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

    21. Banned roadtripper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2003
      Posts
      4,010
      10-06-2012 09:07 PM #21


      Now I like the stories
      About angels, unicorns, and elves
      Now I like the stories
      As much as anybody else

      But when I'm seeking knowledge
      Either simple or abstract
      The facts are with science
      The facts are with science

      Science is real

    22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      64,224
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-06-2012 09:13 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      only one hates science.
      IDK.. religious leaders and political leaders both seem to actively search for any scientific data that supports their pre-conceived opinions, even if a massive preponderance of accepted data counters their pre-conceived opinions.

      Science is about looking for all the available data to support the most informed opinion, but both politics and religious go to science looking for any shred of even questionable data to support their pre-conceived opinions.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 10-06-2012 at 09:16 PM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,482
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-06-2012 09:22 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      only one hates science.
      You're right. Religion has a long history of supporting science. To a point, but nonetheless, the support existed to get to that point.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    24. 10-06-2012 09:47 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      only one hates science.
      You really shouldn't talk @ the Democrat Party like that.

    25. Member ModestGirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2012
      Location
      Charm City MD
      Posts
      470
      Vehicles
      98 Volvo V70 (Indigo Montoya) mk2 Jetta (the other woman)
      10-06-2012 10:20 PM #25
      This stuff makes me want to scream and throw things at people.

      Also, I really doubt that McCaskill will loose against Aiken. He does not seem to know when to shut up.

    26. Member LuckyDogg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      6,707
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI Autobahn
      10-06-2012 10:35 PM #26
      I believe in evolution.
      You believe in creationism.

      Let's agree to disagree -- we don't have to disparage one another. I have such high disdain for people with these "I am smarter than you" attitudes.

    27. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,425
      Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      10-06-2012 10:44 PM #27
      Scariest part is that his constituents reelect him.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    28. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      40,474
      Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-06-2012 11:02 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDogg View Post
      I believe in evolution.
      You believe in creationism.

      Let's agree to disagree -- we don't have to disparage one another. I have such high disdain for people with these "I am smarter than you" attitudes.
      This sounds nice and respectful, but it treats as equivalent two beliefs that are not equivalent on any level. Fact is, some people ARE smarter than others, and their beliefs are grounded in lines of evidence and inquiry that I hold in much greater regard, philosophically, logically, evidentially, and practically, than those of people who indulge in the reactionary intellectual gymnastics this beef-witted congresscritter does.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 10-06-2012 at 11:14 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    29. Member VDubby18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2007
      Location
      Fort Worth, TX.
      Posts
      3,762
      10-06-2012 11:07 PM #29
      I think a lot of people confuse evolution with the idea of an original species/swamp goo.


      A potato knows that evolution exists. Things change over time.


      The idea that every living thing has come from the same organism... well that's just a load of poop.

    30. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      40,474
      Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-06-2012 11:12 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by VDubby18 View Post
      I think a lot of people confuse evolution with the idea of an original species/swamp goo.


      A potato knows that evolution exists. Things change over time.


      The idea that every living thing has come from the same organism... well that's just a load of poop.
      Every living thing probably did come from the same small initial gene pool, but because prokaryotic genetics doesn't work the way eukaryotic genetics does, you're probably right (but for the wrong reason) that it didn't come from an original, single "species" as we define species. Bacteria and archaea pass genes laterally as well as through time, so their family tree is really more of a net.

      But evolution does imply radiation from a common ancestral gene pool. That's how all evolution works, a billion years ago or today.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 10-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    31. Member OOOO-A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2004
      Location
      KILG
      Posts
      7,211
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      10-07-2012 12:05 AM #31
      "God didn't produce a ready-made world. The Creator has done something cleverer than this, making a world able to make itself."

      -- John Polkinghorne, particle physicist and theologian.

    32. Member The Chemist's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Shanghai / 上海
      Posts
      3,955
      Vehicles
      Electric Vespa Clone; Giant FCR3500; Shanghai Metro
      10-07-2012 12:09 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      But evolution does imply radiation from a common ancestral gene pool. That's how all evolution works, a billion years ago or today.
      And DNA is the strongest evidence of a common ancestral gene pool, considering that all organisms on Earth, from the most primitive bacteria to the most advanced human being, share a large portion of DNA in common. There's no other reasonable explanation for this fact.
      "Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world."

      - Jack Layton, 1950-2011

    33. Member DenCo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Moncton, NB
      Posts
      8,275
      Vehicles
      '12 Chevrolet Cruze
      10-07-2012 12:19 AM #33
      To be fair, politicians tend to be experts in lies and the depths/pits of hell...

    34. Member atomicalex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Detroit and Düsseldorf
      Posts
      13,391
      Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      10-07-2012 02:06 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      "God didn't produce a ready-made world. The Creator has done something cleverer than this, making a world able to make itself."

      -- John Polkinghorne, particle physicist and theologian.
      This is the thing that cracks me up the hardest. In engineering, and intelligent design is one that can evolve to meets changing demands.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

    35. Member mx5er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      13,081
      10-07-2012 04:53 AM #35
      The hits just keep on comin': http://news.yahoo.com/ark-gop-calls-...212508499.html

      Where to they find these people???

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •