VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Knocking, thumping sound after going wide wheels

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  fakename 
#1 ·
I bought my mk2 with 15x6.5 et33 and installed 15x8.5 wheels et7 (including 10mm spacers in front, et2 with 15mm in back but I don't think that matters for this) and since then I've noticed I get a knocking/thumping sound when I first drive that sounds like it's coming from the front end. I'm parked on a hill so I'm typically reversing first thing when I hear it but I do notice it driving forwards right after as well. I think it sounds more when I'm turning but it still makes the sound driving straight too. I suspected a bad CV joint on the drivers side when I pulled the axle so replaced it, all poly bushings are good, took it to les schwab and they did a once over and drove it and said everything suspension is solid. Any thoughts? btw, wheels have hubcentric rings and spacers are HR and also hubcentric. Also, sound goes away pretty quickly once I start driving and is completely intermittent but I do only notice it at lower speeds. I'm pretty sure I can feel it thump too primarily through the gas pedal but only slightly... ST coils and lowered

#4 ·
What exactly would you want pics of?

Check your wheel bearings. Easy way to do this is to jack-up the front of the car and sit facing the wheel. Shake the wheel by grabbing the top and bottom (vertically) of the wheel/tire (don't actually shake it but move it to listen and feel play). Remember that your strut mount will move with it but try to pay attention to the wheel itself moving. You can also shake it front to back(horizontally) to check for control arm and steering movement but make sure your steering wheel isn't locked (put the key in and turn it with out starting the car).
I've done this and the wheel has no movement, and dude at les schwab was rockin it on the lift every which-way checking the wheels, struts and bearings, ect. I guess I'm hoping that there's something widening wheels can change about the way the car rides that wouldn't be obvious to think about that he wouldn't have thought to check.

Good ideas though, keep 'em rollin...

#3 · (Edited)
Check your wheel bearings. Easy way to do this is to jack-up the front of the car and sit facing the wheel. Shake the wheel by grabbing the top and bottom (vertically) of the wheel/tire (don't actually shake it but move it to listen and feel play). Remember that your strut mount will move with it but try to pay attention to the wheel itself moving. You can also shake it front to back(horizontally) to check for control arm and steering movement but make sure your steering wheel isn't locked (put the key in and turn it with out starting the car).

#6 ·
I had a similar noise and it was from loose wheel bolts. Are your spacers tight? Wheels?
They're tight but maybe I'll check again, they've been off since I originally put them on though. And it seems like the sound would remain there as I'm driving.

Since we're on it though, what's the stock length of lug bolts? I bought 15mm spacers from ECS and they sent me 45mm bolts to go with them, any chance they're too long and not tightening enough, making the noise? I still have my old wheels and keep meaning to put them back on just to see if the sound goes away...

#13 ·
Maybe I'll take another look at the pass side, it's hard for me to tell where it's coming from on my car because I'm always the one driving, but that's where I've been thinking the sound is coming from (driver's).

I'm not too low at all, maybe 2"s lower than stock, not close enough to rub or worry about busting my oil pan. But I do want to run it a little lower once I pull/cut my fenders.

#15 ·
My wheel bearings have been replaced so looks like we've got different knocks, hard knock life :) Good luck with yours.

I'd forgotten that the PO told me the rear beam bushings are bad so I'm wondering if they're making the noise, sure seems like it's coming from the front end though...

#19 ·
Well I guess it could be something other than wheel bearings. My front right wheel has play while in gear with the tire off and me moving the wheel rotor, the play is about half a centimeter back and forth and a bit left and right, is this a bad bearing. I'm a noob about suspension issues.

#18 ·
I've recently had this issues, it was a matter of time before I had a suspension issue since I haven't touched my suspension since I got the car in april. Well my rapid thumping noise was audible when turning the wheel when driving, but now it got worse and doesen't going straight, I thought I had some rod knock going on, but it doesen't do it at idle, I added a little oil since it was getting low for fear of rod knock, but it still does it and I'm suspecting wheel bearing.

#20 ·
I think you're right, if you can rock the wheel sideways then your bearing is probably going out. I had my checked out at les schwab and they said everything was good. I'm wondering if it's a motor mount or something that can knock around that's not suspension related, but why does it go away when the car warms up and not change with rpms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.