Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking for a good bluetooth helmet. Any suggestions?

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      10-06-2012 09:54 PM #1
      So I am planning on buying my first bike here in the next few months (a ninja 650r) and I am looking into helmets. I want

Bluetooth
      modular (face flip) would be nice but not necessary
      integrated flip down sun visor

Any suggestions? I was at my local bike shop today and tried this

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...uetooth-helmet

Its a really nice comfortable helmet, but not a big fan of the stripe down the center. I kind of want a flat black, white or gloss black helmet with few accents. The blue tooth module is also more expensive than the helmet so **** that lol

I was looking at the Oneal fast track and its nice, but it does not have the sun visor. So any recommendations would be great

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      10-07-2012 11:07 AM #2
      Most of the major manufacturers have their helmets designed to take the modules nowadays, so I would say it's just a matter of finding one that fits you right. For what you're looking for, there is Nolan, Schuberth, Shoei, HJC, and any number of other companies out there that make what you're looking for (your link just goes to the Revzilla site).

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      10-07-2012 02:30 PM #3
      Just a head's up (har har), the modular helmets will be much noisier than a similarly priced solid full face. Makes that pricey bluetooth module less effective.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

4. 10-07-2012 03:17 PM #4
      Maybe for your first bike, you should not be worried about having bluetooth conversations while you're riding.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 04:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
      Maybe for your first bike, you should not be worried about having bluetooth conversations while you're riding.
      Aw c'mon! Next thing you're going to tell them is that they shouldn't be texting while they're riding either. Sheesh, give 'em a break

That was sarcasm in case you couldn't tell

6. 10-07-2012 04:44 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      That was sarcasm in case you couldn't tell
      Yup, definitely got that...

I don't even like talking on the phone while I drive a cage. There's no way I would want that distraction on two wheels. What could be so important???

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      10-07-2012 04:55 PM #7
      Yup, definitely got that...

I don't even like talking on the phone while I drive a cage. There's no way I would want that distraction on two wheels. What could be so important???
      I dont plan on using it right off the bat. Id rather just get something like a helmet once, then get something without blue tooth and buy a new helmet a couple months later.

here is the link I tried to post

The blue tooth module is more expensive then the helmet though. Thanks for the input on modular helmets and noise btw. I guess Ill go full face. The oneal fast track looks good, but I really want an integrated sunvisor

8. Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2012 07:01 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by bboy_jon View Post
      I dont plan on using it right off the bat. Id rather just get something like a helmet once, then get something without blue tooth and buy a new helmet a couple months later.

The blue tooth module is more expensive then the helmet though. Thanks for the input on modular helmets and noise btw. I guess Ill go full face. The oneal fast track looks good, but I really want an integrated sunvisor
      I've always worn ear plugs when I ride anyway, so I never really had any noise issues with my modulars. I wear glasses, so all I wear is a modular because it allows me to take the helmet on/off without having to pull my glasses off. Even when I had a regular full face and switched over, I didn't notice a HUGE difference - it's there, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. Just me though.

9. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      10-08-2012 12:54 AM #9
      I roll a couple of full-face helmets (both Shoeis) and have added the Siena SMH-10 bluetooth headsets coupled with some custom-made moulded earplugs with skull candy speakers in each ear. I use them mostly for a little bit of background music streamed from my Iphone and use them for communicating with my wife when she is stuck on the back of my bike.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      10-08-2012 03:29 AM #10
      I am looking at a BT setup, mostly so I can listen to my navi on longer trips. And possibly communicate with a riding partner.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      10-08-2012 06:08 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      I roll a couple of full-face helmets (both Shoeis) and have added the Siena SMH-10 bluetooth headsets coupled with some custom-made moulded earplugs with skull candy speakers in each ear. I use them mostly for a little bit of background music streamed from my Iphone and use them for communicating with my wife when she is stuck on the back of my bike.
      Her words or yours?

Sent from the future via Google Skynet
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

12. 10-08-2012 02:08 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by bboy_jon View Post

1. Smart. Glad you don't plan on being distracted.

2. Revzilla has good customer service and decent prices.

3. Have you considered an add-on BT system instead of one that's integrated with the helmet? At least that way if you have to replace the helmet you can move the BT unit to the new one.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      10-08-2012 09:42 PM #13
      Have you considered an add-on BT system instead of one that's integrated with the helmet? At least that way if you have to replace the helmet you can move the BT unit to the new one.
      good point. It just seems like a lot of the modules are kind of expensive (the HJC helmet that I linked for example, has a $200 price tag with a $250 bt module). I also really like the blinc bluetooth systems and my buddy just bought the oneal fasttrack which uses Bllinc, so I will also need a blinc system to communicate with him.

14. 10-09-2012 11:52 AM #14
      For what it's worth, the integrated sun-visors are mostly terrible. Lots of distortion and weird cutouts (the "nose" cutout on my Nolan is nearly 3" wide) make them nearly unusable. You'll end up wearing sunglasses anyway.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      10-09-2012 12:39 PM #15
      My opinions:

1) Do not buy a helmet based on gimmicky extras like BT modules or sunshades. Instead buy a good quality, solid, comfortable helmet that fits you. Wear sunglasses or carry an extra tinted shield. Invest in a universal BT module that will clip to any helmet that you can carry from helmet to helmet. Quality and flexibility from both the BT set and the shades will be better

2) I had a modular, the cons vastly outweigh the pros. They are noisy and I do not trust the chin bar. A solid full-face is the only way to go, IMO

3) Materials matter. Don't buy a plastic (Polycarbonate) helmet. Some race/track orgs have outlawed them even if SNELL approved and requires a fiber or kevlar shell. IMO there is a reason for that

4) When it comes to electronics, sometimes you get what you pay for. A good BT device costs a lot, but works well and works reliably. Well worth it in my book

I run a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet, prescription Oakleys and/or a Scorpion 'light' tint visor, and a Sena Scala G4 BT device. I can comment on any of those bits if interested.

Vehicles
      2012 Ford Focus, 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848, 2005 Triumph Bonneville T100
      10-09-2012 03:34 PM #16
      Just get an extra smoked visor instead of a stupid integrated one. You will get all kinds of crazy reflections to the back of the outer shield while wearing it down. Also, more distortion from the cheap plastic.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      10-09-2012 03:45 PM #17
      I guess that makes sense. Maybe Ill just stick with the oneal then pending if it fits me well or not. My friends should be here later this week so we will see

Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      10-09-2012 10:05 PM #18
      absolutely love my Sena SMH-10. incredible battery life, great support, and the ability to control my music/intercom/phone easily is awesome.

10-11-2012 04:06 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
      My opinions:

1) Do not buy a helmet based on gimmicky extras like BT modules or sunshades. Instead buy a good quality, solid, comfortable helmet that fits you. Wear sunglasses or carry an extra tinted shield. Invest in a universal BT module that will clip to any helmet that you can carry from helmet to helmet. Quality and flexibility from both the BT set and the shades will be better

2) I had a modular, the cons vastly outweigh the pros. They are noisy and I do not trust the chin bar. A solid full-face is the only way to go, IMO

3) Materials matter. Don't buy a plastic (Polycarbonate) helmet. Some race/track orgs have outlawed them even if SNELL approved and requires a fiber or kevlar shell. IMO there is a reason for that

4) When it comes to electronics, sometimes you get what you pay for. A good BT device costs a lot, but works well and works reliably. Well worth it in my book

I run a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet, prescription Oakleys and/or a Scorpion 'light' tint visor, and a Sena Scala G4 BT device. I can comment on any of those bits if interested.
      Pretty much my experience. I still have a modular, but never wear it anymore. It's heavier, noisier, bigger and feels less safe (don't know if it is or not, it just doesn't feel as solid as my full-face helmets). I would highly recommend an add-on, quality BT kit rather than some helmet with a built-in unit, almost all of them are gimmicky and if something goes wrong with the BT unit, sometimes you have to send the whole helmet in for repair. Not to mention, you can't transfer the system when you're done.

I have yet to wear a helmet with a built-in visor that was worth sh!t. Just buy an extra, tinted visor and you're good to go (or wear sunglasses).
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      10-11-2012 10:03 PM #20
      any recommendations on blue tooth units? I dont really want a big mic in front of my mouth and I guess I need a blinc module in order to communicate with my buddy.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      10-12-2012 09:01 AM #21
      I have the Scala G4. Runner up when shopping was the Sena SMH10. The Scala got the nod in my case because a co-worker had a set and I sometimes ride with him. Otherwise I hardly ever use it as in intercom.

Several of the other guys I ride with have ChatterBox X1 devices. Those work pretty well, but are very bulky in my opinion. The big advantage there is they use GMRS radios which scale to as many riders as you want. Although it is not full-duplex like the BT intercoms are.

And the Scala BT intercom works slick. Really, one button and you are 'paired' with another rider. And the range is decent.

Sena sells a GMRS radio BT dongle. I've been kicking around the idea of getting one of those for when I ride with the group that uses the GMRS radios.

The Scala comes with a boom mic setup. It isn't bad in practice. It fit better in my old HJC then it does in my new Scorpion lid. But it is comfortable in the Scorpion too.

They have a wired install kit available too. I think you drill a hole in the foam part of the chin bar or something. I am too cheap to bother; what I have works.

One thing I like about the scala is the BT module quick-detaches leaving the mic/earpiece bits still on the helmet. I like this when I park my bike someplace in public and want to leave the helmet locked to the bike. I take the BT module off and lock it in my side case. Extra piece of mind.
      Last edited by nhbubba; 10-12-2012 at 09:04 AM.