Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doubled down on Hyundai, wifey got an Elantra

1. 10-08-2012 10:16 AM #71
      Congrats on your purchase! I've had a few Elantra's this year for rentals. I drive my rentals for long distances, so I'd say I have about 5K miles of seat time in them. I like them quite a bit. I'd choose one over a civic/sentra/corolla.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Volvo C30 6mt
      10-08-2012 10:39 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Here ya go, vultures. You only get ONE
      (right click)
      (save as)
      ("\lonelynights")

I kid... I kid...

Nice family, nice car. Congrats!
      Last edited by dirtyfingers; 10-08-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      10-08-2012 10:53 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      A lot of hate in this thread for no reason. Yes your wife got a neutral econobox, but it's no worse than a beige Corolla or brown Jetta 2.5. I'm sure it will serve her well.
      Seriously. I love when haters pep up about how "crappy" any modern econobox is. Oh really?

Go drive a K car from the 80's and come back and say that. Corolla, Civic, Elantra etc are amazing cars from end to end - regardless of being boring as hell.

Even my car which fits that description is better than anything made 20 years ago in any metric I can possibly think of (maybe minus mileage?). Think I don't remember my parents cars from when I was a kid? My dad would have killed for a cheap, reliable car like mine when he was commuting night shift to an auto glass plant 2.5 hours away.

My point is you can't do wrong anymore.
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      2011 CT200h
      10-08-2012 11:23 AM #74
      nice buy

you get hate here if you buy anything between a TATA and a Ferrari
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

5. 10-08-2012 11:25 AM #75
      Nice car OP. Please let your wife park in the garage though!

Vehicles
      03 Xterra, 90 Jetta
      10-08-2012 11:51 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
      (right click)
      (save as)
      ("\lonelynights")

I kid... I kid...

Nice family, nice car. Congrats!
      >looks at name
      >dirtyfingers
      >

10-08-2012 11:59 AM #77
      Nice looking car and actually like the color. So tired of silver and black. I've been telling folks look out for Hyundai for the last 5 years.

OP, so does the Elantra change your opinon of the Sonata?
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

Vehicles
      00 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe
      10-08-2012 12:02 PM #78
      Wow, it seems like you got a pretty good deal on it. Too bad you didn't get the navi. I love how the dash looks with the screen in.

9. 10-08-2012 12:40 PM #79
      Congrats on the Elantra.

My 2011 Elantra is at 28K miles with no issues (knock on wood). I'm averaging 33 mpg in mixed driving. However, I have trouble getting 40mpg if I'm going over 70mph, but 37-38mpg isn't bad IMO. Interior look/feels like it was brand new. Paint seems to be in damn good shape for all the highway driving I do. I think you'll be satisfied.

My only cons are...
      -Ride is a little stiff...but not too bad. My wife doesn't get car sick in it like she did in my old marshmallow-y Cavalier.

-Road noise on rough surfaces (very quiet on good roads). New tires would probably fix that.

Here's mine btw...

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      10-08-2012 12:49 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by sullie View Post
      Nice car OP. Please let your wife park in the garage though!
      I work from home, she's a teacher. Sorry honey, I'm not getting up at 7am every morning to switch cars
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      Official Member of the Masochistic Black Car Owners Club
      10-08-2012 12:53 PM #81
      I work from home, she's a teacher. Sorry honey, I'm not getting up at 7am every morning to switch cars
      Even more reason for her to get the garage, especially in winter.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      10-08-2012 01:11 PM #82
      Happy to see your wifey getting out of her 7th gen. Great car, but man newer cars take the cake these days.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, BSH Race Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH Race Intake,R8 coilpacks, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2 coming soon!!

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 01:23 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      Even more reason for her to get the garage, especially in winter.
      NC? Winter? Hahahaha

10-08-2012 01:24 PM #84
      Nice car. Congrats on the purchase!

IMHO, the new Elantra's are a nice looking car. If I was in the market, I'd be looking at that or the Focus.

10-08-2012 02:36 PM #85
      just for comparison; nothing meant or implied: i cross shopped the sonata with my passat, not the smaller elantra. my negotiated sale price was $18,700; $2900 less than this elantra. (strangely, that's exactly what i paid for our entourage 3.5 years ago too. an even bigger bargain!)

now granted, you have stuff in yours and mine is a base manual car. but this is not a knock on hyundai; i find them to be an excellent value. it's just very surprising how quickly vw has become so aggressively competitive on price while hyundai has grown so bold in holding the line.

also, i spent 3.5 hours in hyundai service this morning. they share a building at this dealership with audi. my son got to ogle an R8 v10 spyder, an S8, and an S5 cabrio (dad, is that ANOTHER car with red leather seats??!!!) among others. there was zero difference between the audi customer experience and hyundai's; they've come a really long way. it was a very confidence-inspiring operation, with lots of happy customers and lots of professional and capable help. this is not my father's hyundai!

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-08-2012 02:49 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      this is not my father's hyundai!
      You're right, it most certainly is not!
      Remember these ads?

10-08-2012 03:16 PM #87
      oh, do i ever. my parents bought one in 1987 (engine blew up at 55K and my dad and his lawyer friend had to fight a bit to get them to pay up) and my first car was a red 4 door 1988 excel. it was just the three doors that were infamously $4999; the sedans were over 7K if i remember correctly. but that was at a time when the average american sedan cost $13K.

they are still competitive on price, but it's light years and eons how much the product has improved. that red excel of mine was a gift. i was grateful, but i traded it as fast as i could for my first beloved vw. which worked out smashingly at the time , but it wouldn't be such a no-brainer today. they're low on soul and originality, but they do make for quite adequate tools.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      10-08-2012 03:51 PM #88

They are a perfect match!

What did your wife say when you told her there are nut jobs on TCL saving her pic for self gratification when barnyardfun.com goes down?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Volvo C30 6mt
      10-08-2012 04:17 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      What did your wife say when you told her there are nut jobs on TCL saving her pic for self gratification when barnyardfun.com goes down?
      Not a nut job - just an admirer of beautiful women.

I was joking about saving her picture. I guess with a nickname 'dirtyfingers' it's hard to kid about these things.

Vehicles
      2011 Hyundai Sonata; 1996 BMW M3
      10-08-2012 04:26 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
      Not a nut job - just an admirer of beautiful women.

I was joking about saving her picture. I guess with a nickname 'dirtyfingers' it's hard to kid about these things.
      Nah, you're a nut job..

21. 10-08-2012 05:08 PM #91
      Okay, well if I were you, I would let her park in the garage. I think it's sh!tty to make her park outside but then again, I don't go around calling other guys "honey" so go forth and be yourself I guess.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 05:25 PM #92
      Okay, well if I were you, I would let her park in the garage. I think it's sh!tty to make her park outside but then again, I don't go around calling other guys "honey" so go forth and be yourself I guess.
      LOL, I meant to put the "honey" sentence in quotes as if I were talking to her

But still, it doesn't make any sense. That means that when she gets home, I'd have to pull the car out of the garage, then let her pull into the garage, then pull in behind her.

Then in the morning, I'd have to back my car out of the driveway, let her pull out of the garage, then pull my car back into the garage.

All of that versus her driving into the driveway and getting out, or getting in the car and pulling out. Add to that, I have the 5-month baby at home with me during the day while she's at work. So I'd have to stop whatever I'm doing with him to shuffle cars in the evening/morning. Not gonna happen And on top of that, she's scared to back out of the garage in the first place -- she always makes me do it since it's a tight squeeze and the driveway is slightly angled.

It just doesn't make ANY kind of sense no matter how you look at it. And since it's a one-car garage, there's not much walking space on either side of the vehicle. She uses a rollie cart to put her books/folders/etc. for her class each day. There's no way she can roll it into the garage and put it in her car. She rolls it right out the front door onto the walkway and to the car.

23. 10-08-2012 05:58 PM #93

But still, it doesn't make any sense. That means that when she gets home, I'd have to pull the car out of the garage, then let her pull into the garage, then pull in behind her.

Then in the morning, I'd have to back my car out of the driveway, let her pull out of the garage, then pull my car back into the garage.

All of that versus her driving into the driveway and getting out, or getting in the car and pulling out. Add to that, I have the 5-month baby at home with me during the day while she's at work. So I'd have to stop whatever I'm doing with him to shuffle cars in the evening/morning. Not gonna happen And on top of that, she's scared to back out of the garage in the first place -- she always makes me do it since it's a tight squeeze and the driveway is slightly angled.

It just doesn't make ANY kind of sense no matter how you look at it. And since it's a one-car garage, there's not much walking space on either side of the vehicle. She uses a rollie cart to put her books/folders/etc. for her class each day. There's no way she can roll it into the garage and put it in her car. She rolls it right out the front door onto the walkway and to the car.
      Gotcha.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      10-08-2012 07:15 PM #94
      I let her car get the garage. But then again, I leave the house at 5:30 am and generally get home after she does. So like the OP - too much car switching would occur.
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

25. 10-08-2012 07:55 PM #95

That was a very long explanation.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 08:01 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      That was a very long explanation.
      Well, I said before that we have a one-car garage, I work from home, and she goes to work around 7, but that obviously wasn't thorough enough

27. Member
      Vehicles
      03Jetta. 02 Dodge 4x4
      10-08-2012 08:21 PM #97
      Remember the guy who wouldn't let his wife drive the Range Rover to work because it wasn't enough miles for it to warm up? At least your wife gets in the drive way and can drive the car. 👍

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit
      10-08-2012 09:13 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0TJett View Post
      HYUNDAI
      Hope You Understand Nothing's Driveable And Inexpensive

EPIC FAIL >

People like you make normal people driving Volkswagens look stupid.

Jetta 2.0t? Epic fail. Enjoy your Mexican built Corolla.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

29. 10-10-2012 03:11 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0TJett View Post
      HYUNDAI
      Hope You Understand Nothing's Driveable And Inexpensive

EPIC FAIL >
      Yeah, like the Jetta.

Base MSRP

Jetta - $15,545
      Elantra - $16,695

Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
      to Korean currency manipulation and protectionism!
      Aside from the whole made in the USA thing, auto imports are on pace to make up 10-11% of the Korean auto market which is a good bit higher what foreign imports make up in Japan.

If you add GM Korea and Renault Samsung, that makes up north of 25% of the market.

And speaking of protectionism - the EU has a 10% auto tariff.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123