Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bad auto tranny? No reverse, 3'rd 4'th 5'th

1. 10-06-2012 09:34 PM #1
      My friends girlfriend has a 2002 jetta 1.8t, I am trying to help them figure out this issue. Today they went out and started the car and they found when you put it in reverse that it backs up a little bit and then it feels like they are backing over a wheel chalk. And there is no 3'rd-5'th gear, only 1'st and 2'nd in drive and auto stick mode. And makes a buzzing noise when it's put into reverse. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vehicles
      2000.5 Audi TT 180 Quattro
      10-06-2012 10:42 PM #2
      I'm pretty sure that transmission is snafu'ed. The MK.IV automatic transmissions aren't renowned for their durability — and eventually begin slipping (or worse , like in your friend's case). They're next to totally unrebuildable, and when the problem is internal — 9/10 mechanics will encourage replacing the transmission.

A new one will cost their first born child (n' a bit of yours by association). A used one would be a more financially palatable solution, but it'd be a roll of the dice regarding how long that one will last. You can end up w/ a decent used auto-transmission provided you shop carefully and know as much as you can about the car it came off of.

You'll have to at least know if its compatible with what you have on your car (the Mk.IV transverse auto-trannies didn't change much throughout production though, so I don't think you'll have too much to have to choose from).

Long story short, I'd say there's major internal wear preventing correct selection and a replacement box is likely your most practical solution.

Vehicles
      German, American, Jap'erican
      10-06-2012 11:05 PM #3
      Replace with manual.
      PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON
      *THE PANDIT PROJECT(click me!)
      *GRAY GHOST TACTICAL
      "All men are created equal, then a few become Firemen"

4. 10-06-2012 11:24 PM #4
      oh i know what it is...

its the pressure transmogrifier in the output relay housing. i had a long lesson in that. took me about 2 weeks... but it doesnt allow the correct line pressure to go to the reverse bands. and reverse and 3rd gear share the same band.

had to take the trans out, and run the input shaft with a 1/2" drill and measure output torque and temperature.

it was an easy fix, after it was sorted out. it was a ~$17 part, but it took so long to figure out.

while you are there, you should have the torque converter spun and flushed, they tend to gunk up with gel like substance. the refill procedure requires VagCom and it entails preheating the trans fluid to a certain temp (i forgot the actual temp, i drink some like right now ) so the thermal expansion rate of the fluid does not interfere with the level required. it is a pain in the ass, too. not like the manual, where you pump it up til it runs out the fill hole.

you have to screw in a special adapter into the drain plug, and fill it thru there as there isnt even a dipstick to check the level.

good luck. and if you are in a sporty performance mood, have the bands and plates changed to a 6-pack up from the 4-pack. much harder launching and shifts are at your beck and call!!!!

~Calvin.

5. 10-06-2012 11:31 PM #5
      Thanks guys for your help, what they dont understand is that the car drove completely fine when he parked it last night, and this problem started right when he started it this morning. I was reading some other threads and was wondering if a selenoid could be and issue. I completely agree with the manual transmission swap haha, but after seeing what Calvin posted I guess that a selenoid is not the issue. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
      Last edited by Adsm1.8t; 10-06-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      10-06-2012 11:33 PM #6
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      10-07-2012 09:34 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Adsm1.8t View Post
      Today they went out and started the car and they found when you put it in reverse that it backs up a little bit and then it feels like they are backing over a wheel chalk. And there is no 3'rd-5'th gear, only 1'st and 2'nd in drive and auto stick mode. And makes a buzzing noise when it's put into reverse. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
      First, I'd post this over in the AT forum; there's a lot of info and experience over there with the 09A.

Then for your friend:
      Check the AT fluid level. (Yes, you *can* check it, refill, etc; see the stickies in the AT forum for DIYs)
      Scan with VAGCom
      If you don't have VAGCom, then you can disconnect the TCM connectorand manually ohm out the solenoids

What happens next depends on what you find from above. Solenoids are troublesome on the 09A due to old age, and no reverse is a common issue, but no reverse can be caused by lots of reasons other than a solenoid. To make it worse, solenoids can cause problems by sticking without throwing any code or changing coil resistance.

Vehicles
      MKIV AWP, 08 TL-S 6MT
      10-07-2012 11:44 PM #8
      9 times outta ten no reverse means an internal issue,

id suggest like someone earlier, find a "good" used unit and drop it in,

also a new or rebuilt torque is highly recommended
      My Build: 1.8L AWP PPT GT3071r Billet Wheel Tial Vband/8:1 Mahle Pistons/Arp Mains/IE H-Beam Rods/ACL coated Bearings Mains & Rods/ARP Everything/Fluidamper/IE Manual Timing Kit with Gates Belt/AEB head/Supertech Intake/Supertech coated Exhaust/Supertech Spring & Retainer kit/IE CVA1 Cams/IE Cam Gear/SEM Mani/Hemi TB/EV14 1000cc/ CM FX400
      PAG PARTS