Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 50

    Thread: Pre 1930's cars

    1. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 01:12 AM #1
      So I've been going through a classic car kick recently. Spending a lot of time looking at old awesome cars. Show me some of your favorites!

      Some of mine:

      1929 Duesenberg


      1928 Mercedes-Benz Torpedo Roadster


      1914 Stutz Bearcat



      1930 Mercedes benz ssk (My favorite!)





      1924 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Boat Tail Speedster


      1927 Rolls Royce Phantom


      1927 Lincoln Touring Car


      1928 Cadillac Type 341a Dual Cowl Pheaton


      1929 Auburn 8 120 Speedster


      1929 Rolls Royce
      Last edited by David802; 10-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.

    2. Member VR6GURU's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2002
      Location
      City of Angels CA
      Posts
      3,822
      Vehicles
      00 Jaguar XJR, 14 Mazda 6, 08 Honda Element SC
      10-07-2012 01:37 AM #2



    3. Get Off My Lawn!!! vwlarry's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Seaford DE
      Posts
      29,532
      Blog Entries
      1
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      10-07-2012 08:15 AM #3
      The Auto Union GP machine above would be a very "late twenties" car, since it was campaigned in 1939.

      Perhaps the 2 grandest and most over-achieving marques of the 1920s were both born, and died, in that decade. First the Doble steam automobiles, created by the engineering genius Abner Doble. Most of them built in 1925:



      The other is the Wills St Claire, created by another giant of automotive engineering, C. Harold Wills. Wills was the engineering right-hand of Henry Ford in the beginning of Ford Motor Company, and the Model T was showered with his mechanical and metalllurgical innovations. His own car, shown here, was a cost-no-object piece of engineering artistry that featured the first SOHC V8 engine in a roadgoing automobile, hydraulic brakes, the world's first backup lamps (a minor yet important innovation), lightweight construction throughout, and perhaps the most meticulous quality control of any automobiles before or since:



      The 1927 LaSalle, which was GM's "companion make" for Cadillac, was the first production automobile line to receive the design input of the immortal Harley Earl, who came to GM on contract and ended up practically running the company as its all-important VP of Styling. Earl's work on this LaSalle created a sensation in the industry and set trends that influenced carmakers worldwide. Earl made this into a GM habit over the coming decades. Here is a picture of the 1927 LaSalle serving as the Official Pace Car for that year's Indianapolis 500 Sweepstakes Race (as it was called back then):

      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

      “To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

    4. Member leitmotif's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2006
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      6,018
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      10-07-2012 09:02 AM #4
      If you're ever in Southern California please do yourself a favor and visit the Nethercutt Museum.

      http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/Collection.aspx

      Some of the best pre 1930's (and others) cars I've ever seen. I'm not an expert or very knowledgable about the cars but there are tons of coach built beauties.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    5. Get Off My Lawn!!! vwlarry's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Seaford DE
      Posts
      29,532
      Blog Entries
      1
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      10-07-2012 09:21 AM #5
      The Nethercutt collection is on my bucket list.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

      “To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

    6. Member AB11's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 5th, 2010
      Location
      Aberdeen, UK
      Posts
      477
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Golf GTI, 1990 Citroën 2CV6, 2013 FIAT Panda
      10-07-2012 09:55 AM #6
      OK, I'm going to try and sneak this in... purely because more people should see it. 1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I (1934 rebody).













      Moar: http://classiccars.about.com/b/2008/...sen-museum.htm


      Also, Bugatti Type 41 Royale




      Also a heads up for anybody ever visiting Europe, take a tour past Mulhouse for the wonderful Schlumpf museum for all your Bugatti lust. I really need to make a thread of my own about this place,

    7. Member leitmotif's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2006
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      6,018
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      10-07-2012 12:15 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by AB11 View Post
      OK, I'm going to try and sneak this in... purely because more people should see it. 1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I (1934 rebody).


      I want to say I've seen this in person at the Petersen and it is simply stunning! The circular door just does it for me!
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    8. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      25,632
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-07-2012 12:40 PM #8
      Well, Pre 1930s leaves out the thirties themselves, which is one hell of a decade. I would post a Talbot Lago if it fit the thread.

      There are some beautiful and mechanically impressive cars here already, though.

      Larry, do you think that the Willis is of substantially better quality than Duesenberg? That's not a small feat by any measure!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    9. Member N3M51R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 13th, 2010
      Location
      FEMA Region 8
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      10-07-2012 01:16 PM #9
      Hi Dave!


      I have nothing to contribute to your thread.
      Insert offensive language here.

    10. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 04:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      The Auto Union GP machine above would be a very "late twenties" car, since it was campaigned in 1939.
      Those are some awesome carrs! I've been reading your blog all day. Thanks for sharing!

      Quote Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post
      If you're ever in Southern California please do yourself a favor and visit the Nethercutt Museum.

      http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/Collection.aspx

      Some of the best pre 1930's (and others) cars I've ever seen. I'm not an expert or very knowledgable about the cars but there are tons of coach built beauties.
      I'm in Utah but I believe Its only 11 hour drive to Los Angeles from here... I may just drive out there for a 3 day weekend once school is over for the semester! Thanks for sharing!

      Quote Originally Posted by AB11 View Post
      OK, I'm going to try and sneak this in... purely because more people should see it. 1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I (1934 rebody).
      I'm not picky. Thanks for sharing, that is right up there with that mercedes ssk that I posted as far as coolest old cars ever!

    11. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 04:17 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Well, Pre 1930s leaves out the thirties themselves, which is one hell of a decade. I would post a Talbot Lago if it fit the thread.

      There are some beautiful and mechanically impressive cars here already, though.

      Larry, do you think that the Willis is of substantially better quality than Duesenberg? That's not a small feat by any measure!
      If you wanted to sneak some 30's or 40's cars in there I wouldn't be offended.

      Quote Originally Posted by N3M51R View Post
      Hi Dave!


      I have nothing to contribute to your thread.
      What up nemsy! What are you doing outside of your padded cell?

    12. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 04:28 PM #12
      Ralph Lauren's Bugatti Type 57 SC


      Bugatti type 57 C dash (I think)


      1939 Mercedes benz 540 k





      1933 Mercedes Benz 380k

    13. Member N3M51R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 13th, 2010
      Location
      FEMA Region 8
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      10-07-2012 04:29 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
      What are you doing outside of your padded cell?
      Oh you know, crafting tin foil hats and verbally assaulting the common folk.

      Remembered I took these at that So. Jordan carshow. They qualify right?

      1912 Packard truck-



      And idk the year for these Benz's but they have that classic sweetness factor to them-



      Now imagine my mk2, and Lincolns 20th sittin at this show next to these and old muscle cars. We totally didn't fit in.
      Insert offensive language here.

    14. Member Galrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      1,782
      Vehicles
      1974 Bmw 3.0si, 1975 Bmw 525
      10-07-2012 04:33 PM #14
      The last two are replicas meant to look somewhat similar to the Mercedes SSK. They aren't real. I don't know the manufacture, but I would guess it's a CMC Gazelle or something.

    15. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,326
      10-07-2012 04:34 PM #15
      The '20s were an interesting transition period as cars got less wagon-like and more car like. Up until the '20s most cars were open air, some having side curtains, but few had roll up windows. Back seat heaters were nearly non-existent so cars came equipped with "robe rails" for horse-hair blankets and robes to keep you warm. Model Ts came with heaters that used the heat of the exhaust manifold to blow into the passenger compartment while you were at speed. My '33 Continental Flyer didn't even come with one.

      Another interesting change is seen in the Bugatti seen above. It has an open air cockpit for the driver and aid. They were common folk and back then most houses didn't have indoor plumbing so baths were only taken every week or so. The enclosed compartment was self-preservation for the Gentry set.

      Yes, limiting cars to the '20s leaves out some of the most beautiful cars in the world, the Streamliners, but I respect starting a thread like this.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    16. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,326
      10-07-2012 04:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      The last two are replicas meant to look somewhat similar to the Mercedes SSK. They aren't real. I don't know the manufacture, but I would guess it's a CMC Gazelle or something.
      Those are Excalibers, I think. Ugly things.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    17. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 04:35 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by N3M51R View Post
      Oh you know, crafting tin foil hats and verbally assaulting the common folk.

      Remembered I took these at that So. Jordan carshow. They qualify right?

      1912 Packard truck-
      Those are some nice cars! I should have gone to that show, instead of work. Maybe next year....

      Bugatti Type 41


      Bugatti Type 50T


      Bugatti Type 46

    18. Member onebadbug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2002
      Location
      Youngstown, Oh
      Posts
      4,151
      Vehicles
      96 Cherokee 4.0, 82 Rabbit Truck
      10-07-2012 04:39 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by N3M51R View Post

      And idk the year for these Benz's but they have that classic sweetness factor to them-



      Now imagine my mk2, and Lincolns 20th sittin at this show next to these and old muscle cars. We totally didn't fit in.
      Kinda like this picture not fitting in to this thread. They're cool but they were built about 50 years too late (in someone's garage).
      Next edit by onebadbug; tomorrow at 10:13 AM.

      What you get isn't always what you see.

    19. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 04:40 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      The last two are replicas meant to look somewhat similar to the Mercedes SSK. They aren't real. I don't know the manufacture, but I would guess it's a CMC Gazelle or something.
      That doesn't surprise me. After seeing what some of these super old Mercedes cars go for.

      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      The '20s were an interesting transition period as cars got less wagon-like and more car like. Up until the '20s most cars were open air, some having side curtains, but few had roll up windows. Back seat heaters were nearly non-existent so cars came equipped with "robe rails" for horse-hair blankets and robes to keep you warm. Model Ts came with heaters that used the heat of the exhaust manifold to blow into the passenger compartment while you were at speed. My '33 Continental Flyer didn't even come with one.

      Another interesting change is seen in the Bugatti seen above. It has an open air cockpit for the driver and aid. They were common folk and back then most houses didn't have indoor plumbing so baths were only taken every week or so. The enclosed compartment was self-preservation for the Gentry set.

      Yes, limiting cars to the '20s leaves out some of the most beautiful cars in the world, the Streamliners, but I respect starting a thread like this.
      Are you talking about the Bugatti Royal I posted the black and white photo of? Either way, thanks for sharing! I love little pieces of car trivia like that. And I am buckling a bit, posting things that are after 1930's... Like you said, the 20's are a good transition phase but I think you can still see a lot of influence from the car cars in cars in the 30's as well, and that's kind of what I'm after.

    20. Member Galrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      1,782
      Vehicles
      1974 Bmw 3.0si, 1975 Bmw 525
      10-07-2012 04:42 PM #20
      1935 Tatra t77a






    21. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 04:46 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      1935 Tatra t77a
      Is that rear engine? The back reminds me of the type 1 bug and the vents look like they're made for an air cooled engine.

    22. Member Galrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      1,782
      Vehicles
      1974 Bmw 3.0si, 1975 Bmw 525
      10-07-2012 04:48 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
      Is that rear engine? The back reminds me of the type 1 bug and the vents look like they're made for an air cooled engine.
      It got a rear-mounted air-cooled v8.

    23. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,326
      10-07-2012 04:48 PM #23
      Now that's a Streamliner. I was at that Concours, I believe. It looks like the Glenmoor Country Club in the background.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    24. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 04:49 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      It got a rear-mounted air-cooled v8.
      Damn! Time to do some googling...

    25. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,326
      10-07-2012 04:51 PM #25
      Same car?



      Engine designed by Dr. Porsche, I believe.



      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •